Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 32,723 comments
I sincerely hope that's an exaggeration and nowhere near the truth - 15-20 hours a week is more than enough IMHO for a hobby like this, but unless you are getting paid / playing professionally, then you're getting into 'the law of diminishing returns' territory. And even if you are a pro, 15 hours a day is still a very bad idea IMHO.

Time Trials are fun, but I've stepped back a bit from them because they were taking too much of my (increasingly limited) time and I felt I was neglecting other fun parts of the game (and other games too). I feel that I've reached my limit in terms of likely improvement - or, at the very least, I've reached the limit of likely improvement given the time I'm prepared (and able) to commit to the game, without missing out on the other aspects of the game that I enjoy too.
Yeah absolutely. You have to draw the line somewhere. Anything over 3 or 4 hours in one day is pushing it afaic. And that likely shouldn't be an every day situation either.

Just further to the sound thing I mentioned a few posts back - it seems to occur if you pause a session and hit "retry" in the pause menu - you're likely to lose the tire sounds. If you pause, exit and hit "start" the sound is fine.

@Dolph Drago I didn't realize the 300 SL was 20M, I should have been more conservative of my money, I had 22M a year ago and I spent most of it on tuning and buying a bunch of cars/ and constant oil changes and car washes. So I'll just have to rent it.

I watched your replay, superb time, :)
How'd you do that first turn, and you didn't need to shift down to third gear? Ok, I see you stayed in third for T2-T4, and then you went back up to 4th. I'm trying to study and pay attention to see how much I can get the wheels offtrack without getting a penalty.

I see where you lost time on that last turn, but I will use your replay as I guide, I trust your judgements with using MT, I gotta learn from somewhere. Sometimes it's hard for me to judge what speed limit I can handle during each section of the track.

Last edited:
@Dolph Drago I didn't realize the 300 SL was 20M, I should have been more conservative of my money, I had 22M a year ago and I spent most of it on tuning and buying a bunch of cars/ and constant oil changes and car washes. So I'll just have to rent it.

I watched your replay, superb time, :)
How'd you do that first turn, and you didn't need to shift down to third gear? Ok, I see you stayed in third for T2-T4, and then you went back up to 4th. I'm trying to study and pay attention to see how much I can get the wheels offtrack without getting a penalty.

I see where you lost time on that last turn, but I will use your replay as I guide, I trust your judgements with using MT, I gotta learn from somewhere. Sometimes it's hard for me to judge what speed limit I can handle during each section of the track.
I just got a good slide into turn 1. More often than not, I couldn't pull that off. You can use 3rd to help rotate the car for the corner, but it can be unpredictable, at least for me. It's more stable to keep it in 4th. The only time you really need to be in 3rd is for the first few corners of sector 2.

The last turn is what it is. A giant pain in the butt. :lol: It's difficult to judge for pretty much everyone how much to slow down and what angle and speed is necessary for a good exit without sliding off. I clearly misjudged by getting on the gas a tad too soon and missed the inside curbs by a few feet which consequently sent me wide. At least a tenth lost, probably more.

Allright, I'll check in with you all later and see how you're doing in the recent TT. I am thrilled I reached the silver zone at RBR, that track is a pain in the rear end! The track looks like a whale to me when I see it on the map. It cracks me up everytime. But, back to being serious here. Good luck y'all!

Last edited:
The last turn is what it is. A giant pain in the butt. :lol: It's difficult to judge for pretty much everyone how much to slow down and what angle and speed is necessary for a good exit without sliding off. I clearly misjudged by getting on the gas a tad too soon and missed the inside curbs by a few feet which consequently sent me wide. At least a tenth lost, probably more.
For the last corner, what worked for me was braking at about 50% at the 200 board just to break the rear loose...then let the car coast a bit and play with both the throttle and the brakes to keep the car's balance in check (I'm talking about 5-10% input on both, you can check my replay). As you approach the apex, keep majority of your focus at the exit, once you line up your car, the apex, and the exit, full throttle out.

Last edited:
For the last corner, what worked for me was braking at about 50% at the 200 board just to break the rear loose...then let the car coast a bit and play with both the throttle and the brakes to keep the car's balance in check (I'm talking about 5-10% input on both, you can check my replay). As you approach the apex, keep majority of your focus at the exit, once you line up your car, the apex, and the exit, full throttle out.

I've been meaning to ask for quite some time. I know you're American, so why the KPH? :lol: About how fast are you at corner exit in MPH?

Hi folks
Quick update from me as I’m super tired and super busy. I had an extended session at RA today and felt like I made loads of progress but didn’t quite get that perfect lap. With my good splits there’s another two tenths of a second there so praying I get some time tomorrow before I possibly have to give up due to work commitments.

God this one is satisfying when you hook it all up together!!

IMG_7691.jpeg
IMG_7692.jpeg
IMG_7693.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi folks
Quick update from me as I’m super tired and super busy. I had an extended session at RA today and felt like I made loads of progress but didn’t quite get that perfect lap. With my good splits there’s another two tenths of a second there so praying I get some time tomorrow before I possibly have to give up due to work commitments.

God this one is satisfying when you hook it all up together!!

View attachment 1370795View attachment 1370796View attachment 1370797
Hey, you're lucky Dan, you got three 7's in your time. Nice impressive work!

Another frustrating session last night in the M3. Took me 2 hours to even match my previous best time. Spent most of the evening stuck in the 59.4s or getting laps invalidated. Eventually I improved by only half a tenth, up to a 59.238 which is barely even worth posting about. I simply cannot recreate the magic that was my sector 1 in the original lap, getting the perfect tail rotation through T2 and keeping momentum through T1. If I do nail sector 1 then the pressure builds and I stuff up sector 2 by being too timid or exceeding track limits in the final 2 corners. I'd like to break into the top 100 with another street car but its difficult to maintain motivation when the track is so short and it feels like there's not much opportunity to gain time. Currently 155th and need another tenth and half to break into the top 100, feels like a monumental goal currently.

Also improved my time at RA in the Redbull, now at a 1:00.494 placing me 690th. Will be interested to see the participation figures for this one, I'm sure plenty of aliens have given this a go. Don't think I'll be coming back to this again, pretty sure this will now be a safe gold (surely the aliens can't improve any further right?). My brain simply cannot think and react fast enough to drive this car through the first sector. Getting the T2-4 combo correct, combined with a blind entry into T3 is just too difficult for me to get down consistently and it is where I lose the most time. I've also realised that I was abusing the track limits in the braking zone of Turn 5 incorrectly (the one after "The Esses" according to track maps?). I've been taking the kerb head on which was severely unsettling the car and costing me speed on corner entry and exit. It seems the correct way to mow the lawn there is to hit the kerb from the side which keeps the car far more settled and allows more speed to be carried through the corner.

Haven't attempted Willow Springs in the Merc yet, looking forward to seeing how that car drives but I really can't stand Willow Springs in any configuration.

Argh! That final turn! 😭

That final turn is nasty, but sooooo satisfying when you hit it!, you can go in fairly hard and trailbrake your way in,
but soooo annoying when you hit the sand :lol: :lol:

I was awake early due to dropping my daughter at the airport for vacation at 4AM and desided to strart work at 7 and couldn't sleep anymore so did a few laps, was not the best focus moment :lol::lol:

I was close though!, multiple .3's but no .2xx, best at .309
I think i realy have to see a mid 1:02.9xx AND nail the last one to better my time but is harder then i thought :lol:

19090bf497c13-screenshotUrl.jpg

Lots of fun this one!

that's how we roll with them big boys :) :lol:
Nice, we have another slidy roadcar fan in the house :lol:

Great time mate!
Who knew? It's sorta become my thing. It started with the roadster at the Valley I think and has continued... I used to rip in GR1 and big downforce but these days I seem to do best with just enough power to be fun and that have good balance. That's the key. Cars that don't snap. You can just keep adding speed and it's much easier to find the limits I feel. I'm pretty fair at carrying a power on slide as well. That helps.

It's all thanks to this place. I work hard to be better but the amount of aliens that offer help and support here is just amazing. My time is attached to my name but it's a collective here. When one does well we all seem to do well. Cheers, mate!

Last edited:
Oh my god! This RBR TT is about to run me to death. I'm not joking, I ran 22 laps with MT and used AT on the last one or two. I really dislike being slow most of the time. Turns 1 and 2 are a pain in the ass.
I'm not doing the Willow TT yet until I'm safe for a solid silver. And about 10 to 12 of my laps were invalidated. It freaking sucks!

Latest Posts

Back