Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,593 comments
My left knee is jacked up so didn't want to use the load cell brake yesterday. I had gold at Tokyo for a little while last night using a controller, auto trans, TC-2, flat screen, ABS normal. I was surprised I could even get a gold lap with a controller but not surprised it's not gold anymore. Usually I'm way off gold pace with a controller. Might try again tonight with the wheel, and adjust load cell brake so it's easier to push. 🤷‍♂️

IMG_5851.JPEG

tokyo tt gt7 no mo gold.jpg

IMG_5848.JPEG

Had to stay pretty far away from walls while using controller, I kept invalidating good laps. Best optimal was 2:05.3xx on previous session. Couldn't string it together though.

Last edited:
Since I went the VR2 route, these are my first "competitive" laps after enjoying the VR technology for 2 days :D

Only .150 off my personal best on TV, and after only 10-ish laps, so I'm very happy with this, especially because I lost that exact time in the first 2 corners, so I guess I could match it if I put the effort, but I won't :D

You're over thinking it. You can take your modded car, wings and all... but it'll be Nerfed back to BoPed settings. All the add-ons are just visual at that point (which is fine by me so all the cars don't look like they just drove off the lot). However, PD don't like you to have a widebody kit or NOS installed. If your car has either of those, you can't get in.

SS tires.

This Rampage TT is going to drive a lot of people mad :lol:

With two TTs to choose from and only a few hours left for Tokyo I really wanted to do the "sensible" thing and improve my time there because I saw more potential gain in Tokyo even though I like Eiger Nordwand a lot more. However after just a few laps I became so annoyed with these friggin' walls again that I spontaneously changed plans and headed over to Switzerland. :D

I don't know what it is specifically, but as soon as I take in the scenery, the bright blue sky and green grass, the winding mountain road, it just brings a smile to my face. PD should add a Zen mode where you can just walk around the track ;)

Anyway, I also drove some laps while I was there, and actually managed to improve a few tenths. New PB is probably very close to my ceiling now, optimal time is only a few hundredths faster. But that won't stop me from returning here :D

1722468859924.png

I feel like I'm having an unusually hard time with the Impreza at Eiger Nordwand, as I can't break into silver range like I usually do. Is there a trick to this one?
It's been mentioned a few times, but just in case you missed it: shortshifting makes a ton of difference here. Never exit a corner below 3rd gear, and always shift up around 6K RPM. Watch my video if you want to get an idea.

Hey guys, I haven't posted much here this past week, I quit on the Tokyo TT because I earned silver, plus I didn't want to waste valuable time, so I got sidetracked with other modes in gt7. However I'm getting my tail back to work at Eiger tonight and over the weekend. I did have fun riding in the Ferrari and shooting laps, even though some were invalidated. I still had a pure fire blast there.

So, what TT do you guys think PD will give us next? I hope it is not at the following.

Le Mans
St Croix
Nurb. Nordschleife
Michelin Raceway
Watkins Glen
Circuit de Spa

None of those will be in the TT I hope and pray to God.

BWX
My left knee is jacked up so didn't want to use the load cell brake yesterday. I had gold at Tokyo for a little while last night using a controller, auto trans, TC-2, flat screen, ABS normal. I was surprised I could even get a gold lap with a controller but not surprised it's not gold anymore. Usually I'm way off gold pace with a controller. Might try again tonight with the wheel, and adjust load cell brake so it's easier to push. 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 1377061

View attachment 1377063

View attachment 1377062

Had to stay pretty far away from walls while using controller, I kept invalidating good laps. Best optimal was 2:05.3xx on previous session. Couldn't string it together though.

If You'll try again I suggest switch to TC1 for the first 2 right handers & the last right-left combo before the main straight. TC2 actually handicaps you in acing the turns. With TC1 You can enter the turn faster & even negotiate the turn quicker. Saying this with experience Mate. I'm on DS4 too. Also try playing with the sensitivity of the controller.

If You'll try again I suggest switch to TC1 for the first 2 right handers & the last right-left combo before the main straight. TC2 actually handicaps you in acing the turns. With TC1 You can enter the turn faster & even negotiate the turn quicker. Saying this with experience Mate. I'm on DS4 too. Also try playing with the sensitivity of the controller.
I bit the bullet and got in the sim rig. Much easier with no TC, manual transmission, and a wheel! I was actually slower with TC1 on DualSense Edge, and was using the precise preset. I'm just not that fast or consistent with a controller, mainly I think because I use auto trans with a controller. Since GT1 I always used L1 ans R1 for manual shifting but was using buttons for gas and brake. Now with analog throttle and brake on levers, for some reason manual trans is too much and cramps up my hands after a few laps.. 🤷‍♂️ I think if these controllers were 125% scale I could do it. LOL

Well, it took about 50 miles to get a sub 2:04 at Tokyo, but I managed to do it with some room to spare. Annoyingly, my split through sector 3 was slower than what I was consistently running my last session there. I must have hit the final sectors pretty well. I then proceeded to run another 200 miles before achieving my next valid lap while chasing those tenths. It was slower. :lol:
IMG_3434.jpg

Last edited:
No idea what to think of the new TTs. You comrades will be my inspiration. Not very motivated right now. With a pending bugfix my singleplayer ideas are stalling. I'll try both TTs at least once.

This gossip seems to pop every once in a while, but I have yet to see a proof of that. Do you have one?
For that I would need to record a whole session but the PS4 doesn't record that long and I'm sure people don't want to watch a long video of someone doing a load of TT laps just to show the oil, I could take a screenshot but then how would you prove that was all done on a TT 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don't tend to do that many laps as you can probably see from my posts because I don't get that much time online.

But I have said it before when I have been chasing a gold and then realised that I hadn't changed the oil after a session and it needed doing, think one of them might have been La Sarthe and it happened at Brands Hatch with the Nissan as I spent a lot of time on that one.

The best way to see it would be to take your own car for a fair amount of TT laps.

Last edited:
For that I would need to record a whole session but the PS4 doesn't record that long and I'm sure people don't want to watch a long video of someone doing a load of TT laps just to show the oil, I could take a screenshot but then how would you prove that was all done on a TT 🤷🏻‍♂️
I think @peniu was not so much asking for proof that lapping in a TT deteriorates the oil because this is more or less obvious, but whether this has any impact on performance, given that everything else is fixed.

I think @peniu was not so much asking for proof that lapping in a TT deteriorates the oil because this is more or less obvious, but whether this has any impact on performance, given that everything else is fixed.
If you look at the PP of your car once the oil has deteriorated you will see it has dropped, obviously BOP shows the adjustments before entering to make it even but I have definitely noticed lapping slower and losing on the straights to a ghost, after numerous consistent laps, exit and go to GT Auto to find that the oil needs changing, go back to TT and I'm back to straight line speed again, keeping up with the ghost.

It seems like one of those things that BOP 'adjusts' but doesn't adjust at the same time (like the wide wheel steering affects we experienced at Tsukuba in the Civic).

Last edited:
If you look at the PP of your car once the oil has deteriorated you will see it has dropped, obviously BOP shows the adjustments before entering to make it even but I have definitely noticed lapping slower and losing on the straights to a ghost, after numerous consistent laps, exit and go to GT Auto to find that the oil needs changing, go back to TT and I'm back to straight line speed again, keeping up with the ghost.

It seems like one of those things that BOP 'adjusts' but doesn't adjust at the same time (like the wide wheel steering affects we experienced at Tsukuba in the Civic).
Wow, I definitely have to check this out. If true, I am going to crush that so-called world record™

(yeah, we didn't have that one in quite a while ;) )

On the flip side of it, because it does deteriorate your oil during a TT, regardless of it affects your TT performance, you still need to change it after the TT anyway for any single player races you are going to do
The thing I notice with the oil is that my car doesn't rev as cleanly when it's worn.

I notice this mostly in sports mode.

While the bop power and weight are adjusted there is a fractional hesitancy in revving and at the top end it takes a fraction longer to hit the limiter with a little bit of Rev hunting.

This is all anecdotal though but to counter that a little I've done over 5,000 sports mode races in GT7 alone so can feel some of these minor differences.

Does it make a difference, maybe maybe not in the grand scheme of things.

Bop levels the performance playing field, but just like time of day has an impact or wind, it's not a large jump to think oil might especially as they went out of their way to track oil wear, chassis rigidity and engine condition and the ability to restore them? 🤷‍♂️

No news of a new TT yet? Hmmmm... patiently waiting...

I'll wait a little bit longer I suppose. Durn, it's already August. Just roll on by summer, can't stand the heat.

Last edited:
What have happened with the Gr.3 trial at Red Bull Ring? I did a lap during the first 15 mins and now it has been deleted. Also, now you can use garage cars.

Back