Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,593 comments
They only give two tire options at RBR, idk why PD chose intermediates, wet tires would be the best options as it will help keep the car stable and not spin out on the wet roads.

They only give two tire options at RBR, idk why PD chose intermediates, wet tires would be the best options as it will help keep the car stable and not spin out on the wet roads.
Guess what, intermediates are designed for a damp track. Wet tires, for a very wet track, usually associated with rain.

Plus, even though it's borderline wet tire worthy, I'm sure intermediates were chosen for a challenge.

Last edited:
Well I'll try both, and just see what happens. Trial and error is the key for getting a silver/gold time. I'm sure more players will get bronze here, especially the younger players. Anyways I gotta get to work, like @Jeje6410 said, "Chris, shut up and drive".

It's a rally car and it puts down all its torque low in the range. Also, at higher revs you're often just spinning the wheels, losing traction which slows acceleration. The short shifting allows the wheels to hook up to the road and then grip. I'm still not in gold but I took seconds off my time once I realized this.

It's one of those funny ones where my fastest laps often felt my slowest because of less drama.
I've often used a higher gear for exiting corners to reduce wheelspin but short shifting on the straights feels so weird! I guess they have pretty good anti-lag systems too, being rally cars.

It makes me feel pretty good about getting close to silver without short shifting though!

Last edited:
Just a friendly reminder and funny meme to be used when the argument about cheap vs professional wheel will pop up again

Screenshot_20240801-214451_Instagram.jpg

First test today at RBR with my Manthey RSR on wet tires:

1722543603548.png

Not really satisfy of this 1st session, despite the car is great with these tires (maybe the inter are better).
I'll also test the 458 tomorrow.
If I end this TT in the gold zone, I'll be more than happy.

Quick reminder: next sunday will take place our next Clash of the Titans at Goodwood with 3 sexy MILF (Motors I Like to Flame):

We are usually 10 players, so 6 places are still free to fast and furious drivers!

First test today at RBR with my Manthey RSR on wet tires:

View attachment 1377325

Not really satisfy of this 1st session, despite the car is great with these tires (maybe the inter are better).
I'll also test the 458 tomorrow.
If I end this TT in the gold zone, I'll be more than happy.

Quick reminder: next sunday will take place our next Clash of the Titans at Goodwood with 3 sexy MILF (Motors I Like to Flame):

We are usually 10 players, so 6 places are still free to fast and furious drivers!
Just use the inters, let the controller or wheel show you where the grip is.

Basically just brake at the normal places, but don't go as wide (you can take the curb at T1)

The water is a distraction, focus on smooth and it's all good.

Just use the inters, let the controller or wheel show you where the grip is.

Basically just brake at the normal places, but don't go as wide (you can take the curb at T1)

The water is a distraction, focus on smooth and it's all good.
Thanks for this smart advice, I'll listen to you tomorrow :)

If someone told me that I'm going to love driving on Red Bull Ring (again), especially on wet track with Gr3 cars, I would laugh... But now I have the VR2! God bless the VR2!!!

1722544485265.jpg

Having fun chasing the N. Sinkkonen ghost:

I'm speechles on how good this is, and if it was a bit sharper, I would probably drive with the full erection all the time. Now the hunt for the 36s begins.

Huh, first attempt at both new TTs, and to be honest it went a lot better than I would have expected. I actually dreaded both events a bit: RBR in the wet triggered bad memories of the infamous S10 license test which made me age ~5 years, and I tested the Roadster Shop Rampage last night after the event leaked, so I knew I was in for some heavy oversteering. BTW, both events currently have a gold ratio of under 4%! ... so firmly on the hard side.

Anyway, Trial Mountain seemed to confirm my fears at first as I could not get a feel for the throttle at all, either spinning out on corner exits (even on TC1) or going so slow that I saw Tidgney's ghost disappear in the sunset. What really unlocked the lap for me (beside some practice I guess) was to increase to TC2 which seemed to give me a lot more confidence without compromising acceleration too much. I also believe that with the physics update the traction control was adjusted a bit so that TC2 is more like what TC1 used to be. Whatever the case, I was in gold pretty quickly after that change, and stayed for a few more laps until I reached what should be a safe gold.

1722551349914.png

The real surprise came at RBR. It was already getting late, I did not intend to push for a good time, just test the waters a bit (see what I did there? 😜). So I loaded Tidgney's ghost, hopped in the 458 with Intermediates, left the setup at TC2 and CSA strong, and got gold in three laps, and a 1:38.x in two more, without ever going off track or invalidating a lap once. 🤯

1722551370428.png

With the exception of the spaceship at Daytona, this was my fastest ever gold I believe, and again, I didn't even push that hard. So bottom line is: if you're struggling with this one and your personal racing ethics allow it, definitely play with the traction control settings.

Happy lapping everyone! 🙌

Inters, the water gauge never goes above the second bar.

Have you watched @Tidgney lap guide, it's really helpful in maximizing the lines with grip?
I did, and tried it. Slipped down another 10th but for about 15 laps I was nowhere near as consistent on Inters as I was on Wets. Putting the driving line on and avoiding it like the plague feels so unintuitive. Blegh, not feeling this TT. Might try avoiding the driving line and using wets and see how I do.

I've often used a higher gear for exiting corners to reduce wheelspin but short shifting on the straights feels so weird! I guess they have pretty good anti-lag systems too, being rally cars.

It makes me feel pretty good about getting close to silver without short shifting though!
It's also important to remember that BoP is on so that car get's dramatically more power than it's stock version and I'm guessing the gearing isn't so different.

The Roadster is a blast. I love how it drives. These updated physics have done wonders for the road cars. Sitting at a 53.9 but I feel the super aliens still have a lot of find so we'll see how it goes...

Plus, was able to put this bomb-arse Bumblebee livery on it (someone else did it but I made some upgrades). 2007 Megan Fox not included, unfortunately.

d14117162f49ddd7f4f435c985570a58_photo.webp

72789958dcd3c846263b3c86844ad2a6_photo.webp

Wet weather stuff is definitely more realistic now, but driving off-line is going to take some time to get used to. 38.8 thus far at RBR.

What's the deal with all of the top times for the Eiger Nordwand TT short shifting like crazy? Even on the straights they're barely using any of the rev range. I'd usually assume that shifting so early wouldn't give the turbo time to spool up so it's really bizarre to me!
Rally cars use anti-lag (fuel is ignited prior to the turbo to keep it spooled) and make peak torque across a broad range. There is no reason to rev it out when everything you need can be had down low.
Re-enforced me how bad every America car is at handling. Shove a big engine in and leave it at that.
Sweeping statements that are complete nonsense aren't a good look. I'm not even going to begin to start listing all of the amazing handling American cars that have existed for decades now, and continue to be made today. You driving them slowly has nothing to do with it. Adaptation might be a better tactic than complaining.
Those "grippy" sports soft tires aren't "grippy" anymore since the update. Those and the sports mediums are like driving on glass and it needs to be fixed in the next update.
The sports tires are all grippier and more communicative than they ever were. SS are downright tacky now.

It is still very interesting to see how wildly different people's experiences are since the update, because I have experienced nothing but good things. The game is a whole new, much much better, experience for me.

I take back what I said earlier about the 6M, RBR might be a real challenge to earn a gold time on. I may only be able to get bronze, because there is a long threshold between silver and bronze.

@Talon16 hey, I'll use that as a guide this weekend! Good luck y'all, it's gonna be a tough one! Round 2

Back