Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,608 comments
I was just messing around at Eiger running lots of laps yesterday, and put in my best first two sectors using the hand-brake on the last few laps.
I didn't realize it till afterwards, but ABS was on default the whole time instead of weak, and I think that was slowing me down in other sections.

Still managed a 1:04.148, but optimal that session was 1:03.753 so I know getting into the 1:03's is very possible. Just have to string together a few more decent sectors. On my fastest lap, last two sectors were pretty slow and steady. All the time was saved in the hairpins getting car to rotate quicker with hand-brake.

Gran Turismo® 7_20240803204634.jpg

GT7 Eiger Nordwand Impreza Rally Car 98 TT result 3.jpg

Lots of time trials to do at the moment but not a lot of time to do them. But that's ok because I'm not a massive fan of any of these combinations at the moment.

19120e73d0223-5860CCEE9BB8289971F.63A216EF17404752_message_441011922447586_1722702822060.jpg

Put in a gold time with the Ferrari at Tokyo but thought I had an extra week to improve the time which I evidently did not have.
Ended up with a 2:04.496 which ended me at 693rd but there was a considerably amount of time left in that lap. A little disappointed I didn't get more of a go with it.

The Subaru at Eiger is really not suiting me. I simply cannot get the car rotated through the hairpins, even with the handbrake and I also struggle to get the high speed chicane right. This is an enjoyable track to play with friends, but to do competitively is a bit challenging. I suspect this may be something to do with the rotation speed of steering on controller (even at max sensitivity). Current lap is a 1:04.146 which places me 1,447th. Hopefully this lap stays in gold because I do not want to try again here.

Gr3 around Redbull Ring in the rain is another combination which does not suit me. I've never been good at driving in the rain in GT7 and it was a lot of effort to even get to a 1:38.288 which currently places me 548th. Feels like the wet driving has vastly improved after the update. The racing line is extremely slippery and you can really feel the improved grip off line. Can probably improve this time but I really have no interest in doing wet laps in a Gr3 car.

Finally for me at the moment, the Roadster Shop Rampage around Trial Mountain Reverse has been my most successful trial of the lot, putting in a 1:52.894 which places me 87th currently. Not sure this time will hold on for a top 100 though. There's still a little bit of time to be found in this lap, for instance through T1 I missed the apex which compromised speed through T2. Also had a few moments of wheel spin on corner exits which I could dial out. Not sure if I'll come back to this one as I don't find Trial Mountain in reverse particularly enjoyable. Never the less, I've uploaded my best lap replay below if you would like to watch.

:gtpflag:

Tidgney recommended ABS on default for Eiger, if i remember correctly. Just saying.
I couldn't remember what he said about it. ABS normal seems to slow me down in the last two sectors, making it harder to get the car to rotate without slowing down to much. I'll have to test it out back to back. ABS off completely feels way better but I don't think it's as fast for me ultimately.

I'm doing worse than usual this week - blame it on my horoscope!
Still nearly 2 seconds away from bronze at that abominable Trial Mountain reverse - just can't get to grips with that at all!

Thought I was on a bit of a roll at Spa yesterday - although only bronze, I was around about position 20,000, which would earn a green box on @half_sourly 's spreadsheet (best result) - then I checked and found there were only about 33,000 participants! 🤣

Oh well, onwards and upwards. :cheers:

Is there a non-handbrake trick to get the Scooby to rotate? Following Holl's ghost and he's got the thing dancing.
Two things I found:
  • There is a point toward the end of the trail braking phase where you suddenly have more grip with the lower speed and weight transfer. If you struggle to find it, try starting your braking a little earlier.
  • The closer you are to the inside of the 180 degree turns, the better the car rotates; it seems to get grip from the strip of concrete (I think - haven't been there since mid last week) on the inside.
    • EDIT: To clarify, you should still try to enter the tight corners from wide to open up, then as you go into them, try to find that inside strip.

Last edited:
Weird that you'd choose to make this point on (I assume) the Roadster Shop Rampage, which has a custom chassis, carbon-fibre wide body, entirely bespoke RS suspension, and GT3-level aero... as well as a big engine.
Because of these points, and it still drives like a powerful bag of potatoes on wheels.

Fishtailing down the road out of a corner as you tried to turn and steer at the same time, heaven forbid, that ain't a great look.

Because of these points, and it still drives like a powerful bag of potatoes on wheels.

Fishtailing down the road out of a corner as you tried to turn and steer at the same time, heaven forbid, that ain't a great look.
Sure, but it's not, as you claimed, a case of:
Shove a big engine in and leave it at that.
I'm not countering the claims of its slippery handling (in fact I think I made a note of it in the article; Edit: Yep, and my picture of it is counter-steering too), but the fact that it's had a big engine shoved into it and nothing else. It's an almost entirely custom vehicle which just happens to have some of the shell of a second-gen Camaro as a small part of it.

Last edited:
New test toady in Red Bull Ring and improve my time at 1'39'242 with optimal time at 1'38'984
View attachment 1378409
1/ Wow congrats for your new PB at RBR, mon Jérôme. 1:39.242 is a very serious score here. Apparently, basques and bretons aren't of afraid of rainy conditions :sly: I'm sure you'll improve it again (but not too much, please).

I've also improved "a bit" my previous PB by 0.2 sec, thanks to better 2nd sectors. It's not yet perfect and consistent but I've unlocked the way to 1:39 flat. Now, the point is to sting 3 perfect sectors together.

1722866626467.png

S1 - 24.408 - correct 1st sector but could be improved a bit (already had 24.2..)
S2 - 43.355 - finally, I'm scoring better 2nd sectors (already had 43.0xx)
S3 - 31.655 - I was very conservative here as I've already scored 31.2xx

My objectives are still to lower my PB to get close as possible to 39.0 and to finish in the Top 5000.

2/ Speaking of optimal, yours (1'38'984) is really impressive. Here are mine... :dopey:

1722866229746.png

1722866369358.png

Bisous mon poulet (basque) ;)

Last edited:
Well I guess I will be earning bronze at Eiger. I knew I would fail again. It's too narrow to even make sharp turns. Not my personal favorite TT but the scenery here is beautiful. Switzerland is a cool country as well as the other European ones.

I was expecting RBR in the wet to be a nightmare but it's rather enjoyable lapping in the wet. It could have been way worst, like a wet Spa.

Will return here to make a safer gold. My optimals are in the .3xx but I ALWAYS mess the lap up when I have an excellent sector 1.

19123cd1e9747-screenshotUrl.jpg

Hey guys. Just a quick update for those of you who use my plug-in for displaying TT stats here in this thread: I have uploaded a new version that solves the problem that you couldn't easily see your own stats if you don't happen to be on a thread page where you made a post. This new version addresses this by displaying your own stats on the fly-out menu that appears when you click on your account. A picture is worth a thousand words I guess:

1722883730667.png

If you installed through greasyfork you can simply click the update button. If you installed manually I have full confidence that you know what to do anyway :)

As usual, let me know if you need assistance, want to provide feedback etc.

Happy lapping!

Hey guys. Just a quick update for those of you who use my plug-in for displaying TT stats here in this thread: I have uploaded a new version that solves the problem that you couldn't easily see your own stats if you don't happen to be on a thread page where you made a post. This new version addresses this by displaying your own stats on the fly-out menu that appears when you click on your account. A picture is worth a thousand words I guess:

View attachment 1378498

If you installed through greasyfork you can simply click the update button. If you installed manually I have full confidence that you know what to do anyway :)

As usual, let me know if you need assistance, want to provide feedback etc.

Happy lapping!
Excellent. My shortcut was to click on my profile then my content and click on latest post. This will save a couple of steps, thanks.

Back