Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,618 comments
10+2 more laps at Eiger to complete Daily Workout. 7 red laps on 10...

A tiny improvement in the 2 laps stint.

I feel like this TT suffers the most from using AT. And I should ise hand-brake to help turn the car in hairpins, now I am just painfully slow. Last day tomorrow, we'll see.
I’ve no desire to be rude but honestly, with automatic transmission here there’s barely any point in even trying. You may as well drive with a malfunctioning brake pedal or trigger giving constant brake input at a few percent. For “fun”, I gave it a go one lap against Tidgney’s and my own ghost, just look at this.

I’ve no desire to be rude but honestly, with automatic transmission here there’s barely any point in even trying. You may as well drive with a malfunctioning brake pedal or trigger giving constant brake input at a few percent. For “fun”, I gave it a go one lap against Tidgney’s and my own ghost, just look at this.

I don't think you are rude. And you show me that I have nearly a second to gain 🤣

How do you put 2 ghosts on screen by the way ?

I don't think you are rude. And you show me that I have nearly a second to gain 🤣

How do you put 2 ghosts on screen by the way ?
Settings > Ghost Settings > Display Personal Best Ghost

You load another one as you normally would from the leaderboards and to also see your own ghost PB for that session you simply run a valid lap. Not something I’d recommend apart from in rare cases, it’s a bit much traffic. Here I threw it on just to show the contrast MT/AT.

Last edited:
Ohh I would be so pissed with not going into the 36s :lol: Amazing time nontheless!

I'm currently at 1:37.087, and I made myself a promise that I will go below 37. Actually had one great lap today, 1:36.980, but unfortunately, clipped the first corner just a milimeter too much on the inside and of course, invalidated. But it must be done :mad:
And it was, promise fulfilled, now I can sleep peacefully.

SHARE_20240806_1025102.jpeg

SHARE_20240806_1025091.jpeg

This was probably my best TT to date, not only because of the score and the position, but I really enjoyed it, especially because of the VR2, it was such a blast. TC off, ABS weak. I was following my own 1:37.087 ghost here for the first half of the lap, in the same session tonight I actually did 1:37.082, and right after that 1:37.034, but that just was not going to cut it. I knew I had the 36s in me, just needed to hook it up. And the worst part is, my first sector was 23.990 I think here on the best lap, and the lap prior to that, I did a 23:845, but screwed everything up in the last corner.

And the funny thing is, I was switching between the wets and inters, literally couldn't tell them apart, I think the .087 lap was done on wets, then .082 on inters, .034 again on inters and the 36.815 on wets :lol:

The lap:

I think that would be it from me on this TT, on to the next one, Eiger is done and dusted, Trial Mountain I just don't care about, but the Spa one seems interesting, especially in the open wheeler, it should be majestic in VR :D

Good night!

Last edited:
I can almost taste the 1:52's. Dang that missed apex in turn 1...😭
View attachment 1378917

I've been having a difficult time at Eiger, the way Sector 1 is made really ruins the fun and elegance of the TT and car used. Sector 2 is fine, I do not like Sector 3. I feel like I'm playing Russian roulette. It's a hit or miss situation. I sometimes go fast and hit the wall near the finish line, (the uphill part). I guess I can look at your replay, but I'm gonna have to use MT again. I'm glad you're having fun earning most of the gold. I guess at the later stages of my life I'll be able to reach a higher level. Maybe in my mid-40's. I'm 32 atm.

It is amazing that this forum has reached over 1,000 pages. That's how busy us time trialers are. Lol, I'm stuck in the 1'59.000's at Trial Mountain. It's harder driving the course the reversed way. But I can do it.

Last edited:
I guess at the later stages of my life I'll be able to reach a higher level.
Lol no. I was much higher-ranked in GT3 in my 20s than I am now in GT7 in my 40s.
It is amazing that this forum has reached over 1,000 pages.
Thread. A "forum" is a collection of threads grouped by topic (and frequently it's a collection of sub-forums, grouped by topic). This is the Time Trial Discussion thread in the Gran Turismo 7 forum.

Since I’d slipped out of Gold at RBR (and was also in the mid-2000s) I decided to take another run but switch to the Ferrari from the 911. Wet tires stayed on and TCS/CSA stayed off. Was immediately at the best pace of the 911 and then was able to improve from there. Saw my first sub-24s sector 1 (sadly not on my best lap) and it seems that the extra gear on the 458 really helps ensure that there’s good acceleration in 3rd out of T1 and in 2nd out of T2, where the Porsche is a gear lower and fighting for traction.

I think there’s another 2 tenths in this, so may return, although I still haven’t tried the Spa event.
1723007820422.jpeg

So, you found a way to get rid of the apparently mandatory 'two wiggles in sector two then? That's the only way that I would think this TT would be relaxing.
If you talking about the wiggles in S2 that happen after turn 2 and turn 3, the way to prevent this is to cross over the racing line before you turn in. You will turn in a bit wider and when you are pointing straight again, you are on relatively dry tarmac and you can put the power down. No wiggles.

Oh and TCS is your friend here.

Congrats for your score, I can only admit you're a much better driver than me in AT (-0.5 sec).
That also my conclusion and why I've decided to give up this TT.

Okay so I'm only just getting onto the Red Bull Ring TT. Using the NSX. What tyres do you guys recommend? Inters or full wets??
I'm on wets with the 458 :)

On the serious note (inters vs wets) - you will feel the difference at the different points of the track. Inters will have a bit more grip in the middle sector, if you nail the line, wets will be more stable on the curbs and in the parts where you go through wet patches on the track. At the end of the lap, the times will be more or less the same, so it's up to you.

As I already noticed in my previous post:
And the funny thing is, I was switching between the wets and inters, literally couldn't tell them apart, I think the .087 lap was done on wets, then .082 on inters, .034 again on inters and the 36.815 on wets :lol:

I guess at the later stages of my life I'll be able to reach a higher level. Maybe in my mid-40's. I'm 32 atm.
Haha you won't. You'll get to a higher level by dragging the brake through the corner and picking up the throttle as early as you can. Use reference points on the track to ensure that you can nail your braking each and every time. If you don't, you will be leaving a lot of time on the table. You need to stop making excuses for yourself. Use the whole track, brake as late as possible and think about which corners you want to prioritise. Going slightly slower in one corner might allow you to go faster in another, helping you to gain time. You have to commit to all of this though because if you don't, you'll never improve. You just need to go for it and not think about the ifs or buts. It's OK to push the limits and make mistakes, so be adventurous. You might be surprised by how far you can go.

I've been having a difficult time at Eiger, the way Sector 1 is made really ruins the fun and elegance of the TT and car used. Sector 2 is fine, I do not like Sector 3. I feel like I'm playing Russian roulette. It's a hit or miss situation. I sometimes go fast and hit the wall near the finish line, (the uphill part). I guess I can look at your replay, but I'm gonna have to use MT again. I'm glad you're having fun earning most of the gold. I guess at the later stages of my life I'll be able to reach a higher level. Maybe in my mid-40's. I'm 32 atm.

It is amazing that this forum has reached over 1,000 pages. That's how busy us time trialers are. Lol, I'm stuck in the 1'59.000's at Trial Mountain. It's harder driving the course the reversed way. But I can do it.
I think you just need a wheel and pedals. You don't need anything crazy expensive either.
I'm faster than you and I can barely gold these TTs with a controller- especially with auto transmission, and I've been playing GT with a controller since 1997.
With the hours you put into it, you'd definitely get your money's worth out a Logitech G29 or something like that. And it's a lot more fun!

You just need to go for it and not think about the ifs or buts. It's OK to push the limits and make mistakes, so be adventurous. You might be surprised by how far you can go.
This. You often mention what you plan to do or what you are fixing to do or what you will maybe do or try in the future. Tweak button configurations, switch from AT to MT, learn trail braking, you name it. You spend sooo much time with this game, I wonder what keeps you from actually doing them? Just one example: if I haven't missed something you are still to this day using X and square for throttle and brake, right? You have asked repeatedly for recommendations on button config, and people explained that your setup will make it next to impossible to modulate inputs because, unlike the triggers, these buttons are just digital (on / off), you cannot apply less than 100% with them. This is a huuuuge hindrance to your progression and should be the first thing you change. Not in the next TT or when you turn 45, but the next time you boot up the game.

Well this is most likely going to be my best ever result. I got just under 1:04 at Eiger which was my goal but then decided to give it one more shot. 1:03.778. Crazy thing is if I could've matched my best 1st sector from yesterday, I would have saved another 0.136 seconds. I tried one more time but couldn't do it. Still, for me this is a pretty lofty place on the leader board! 😁

Gran Turismo® 7_20240806195651.jpg

Gran Turismo® 7_20240806195644.jpg

Maybe it helps this is my daily driver? 🤷‍♂️ 😆
It does drift around in the snow pretty nice.

subaru nov 2018 - nov 2022 Bremmer kraft sparco 2k px -2mb.jpg

It's not a WRX, it's a NA 2.5L, 170hp / 170 ft lbs, 5-speed manual.
Still a fun little car especially in the snow.
Bought it brand new in 2009, and it's still kicking.

I guess at the later stages of my life I'll be able to reach a higher level. Maybe in my mid-40's. I'm 32 atm.
It's time to face the reality Chris. If you don't have the skills to be fairly quick right now, chances are you won't get much better from here.

And, as @BWX said, a wheel would help with that a lot. I know because I for the life of me cannot get fast using a controller, while people like @NAXEHT use one and still produce top times regardless, it's mental. It's all about that preference.

But...should you get a wheel, you should not expect a sudden decrease in laptimes. Getting used to the wheel is a learning curve, and you will likely be much slower than you are right now with the controller.

If you do happen to get quick in your mid 40s, good for you, but until then, it's speculation.

Hi guys (and Greek),

Because @Jeje6410 (aka "Mon poulet") improved his PB yesterday at RBR, I had to reply the same way.
I had some very consistent sessions this morning, with a very tiny improvement (ne panique pas, mon Jérôme) at 1:39.395

1723025198527.png

I had few laps ruined by the last sector (see laps 3,4, and 6), which is still positive as I know I can do it. And I will :mischievous:
Even if optimals are 95% in "38", my objectives are still to get closer to 39 flat and to end in the Top 5000.

1723025278267.png

1723025394096.png

ATTACKE!!!

Last edited:

I'm on wets with the 458 :)

On the serious note (inters vs wets) - you will feel the difference at the different points of the track. Inters will have a bit more grip in the middle sector, if you nail the line, wets will be more stable on the curbs and in the parts where you go through wet patches on the track. At the end of the lap, the times will be more or less the same, so it's up to you.
Looks like its a "what works best for you" kinda approach in this case then! I had a go last night in the NSX on full wets and managed a low silver time (in the 5ks position wise) which surprised me. I'll have another bunch of laps tonight with the inters and see how I fare in comparison. I really enjoy this combo - a damp Red Bull Ring in Gr.3 with some choice in tyres and working out the best way through the lap when there's a wet line and a dry line... it's a fun one!

Hi guys (and Greek),

Because @Jeje6410 (aka "Mon poulet") improved his PB yesterday at RBR, I had to reply the same way.
I had some very consistent sessions this morning, with a very tiny improvement (ne panique pas, mon Jérôme) at 1:39.395

View attachment 1378986

I had few laps ruined by the last sector (see laps 3,4, and 6), which is still positive as I know I can do it. And I will :mischievous:
Even if optimals are 95% in "38", my objectives are still to get closer to 39 flat and to end in the Top 5000.

View attachment 1378987

View attachment 1378988

ATTACKE!!!
Keep at it.

You are close my friend. Gentle with the throttle does wonders.

ATTACK!!

There definitely seems to be wetter sections of the track than others. Okay maybe "dry line" was the wrong term - "less wet line" maybe more accurate? ;)
I'm not sure if that's true, you would be able to see a dry line.

And considering the conditions don't change during a session (obviously), I'm pretty sure it's just infinitely in the intermediate-level of wet.

Keep at it.

You are close my friend. Gentle with the throttle does wonders.

ATTACK!!
That's exactly the point, it's only a matter of being gentle with the throttle to make faster laps.

There definitely seems to be wetter sections of the track than others. Okay maybe "dry line" was the wrong term - "less wet line" maybe more accurate? ;)
If I may share a gentle reminder:

1723027289748.png

Glad to help a Bro :sly::lol:

Last edited:
I don't think it is correct to put it in terms of age.
In my small example, I am 53 years old, played a few GTx having fun but never fully committed, until now (where I am as committed as life allows me, so far from full).
As you probably know I am not lightning fast but I have certainly improved a bit over the last year.
The idea that I will get worse as I get older doesn't even occur to me. Of course it is happening, reflexes, pace, etc. etc. will only get worse, but I hope to make up for that with study, attention to detail, and use of the brain.
The end result will be the algebraic sum of these two forces going in opposite directions.

Perhaps for those of you who are already ultra-rapid part the achievable improvement is maybe marginal, or at least translates into fewer milliseconds, but for others who are just getting into it and are studying from scratch or close to it I think there is still quite a bit of room.

Of course as our friend Albert said (assuming it is him, and assuming he is worthy of credit since he is not even a user of this forum):
1723027529099.png

zjn
I don't think it is correct to put it in terms of age.
In my small example, I am 53 years old, played a few GTx having fun but never fully committed, until now (where I am as committed as life allows me, so far from full).
As you probably know I am not lightning fast but I have certainly improved a bit over the last year.
The idea that I will get worse as I get older doesn't even occur to me. Of course it is happening, reflexes, pace, etc. etc. will only get worse, but I hope to make up for that with study, attention to detail, and use of the brain.
The end result will be the algebraic sum of these two forces going in opposite directions.

Perhaps for those of you who are already ultra-rapid part the achievable improvement is maybe marginal, or at least translates into fewer milliseconds, but for others who are just getting into it and are studying from scratch or close to it I think there is still quite a bit of room.

Of course as our friend Albert said (assuming it is him, and assuming he is worthy of credit since he is not even a user of this forum):
View attachment 1378990
Exactly this. I'm 45. I've played every Gran Turismo from new... Not seriously like I am now but it's always been a thing. Last year I started to really try and get better. I think it's working.

That is to say, I think you can still enjoy and be quick at this game at most any age if you play it thoughtfully and with intent. Same can be said for much of life actually. Intention helps. Have a goal or end game in mind and aim for it pointedly.

Back