Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,910 comments
Well guys, let's brace ourselves for the next time challenge.

@smoothbore12 Lol, why do you call Pesselles your traitor? Is it because he has more better lap times than you? I was thinking about it the other day.

I feel betrayed by these gold medals. They make people think it's easy when really it is not.
Am his traitor and not him mine.
It was a joke expression you use about me when sometimes pass him but now is significant quicker so traitory things ends.

I only have one word for this new TT....

Frustrating!!

1000077409.gif

Between the fast right sweeper after the first chicane, the downhill left that set up the car for the uphill run and the set up the car for the death chicane.....I spun more times that I care to count 😭

Barely into gold after first session...I know I can do much better, but first I need to spin less 🙈

1000077763.jpg

Last edited:
I find five laps gives me my baseline pace - although I tend to sacrifice sectors (and laps) in order to generate both a lap time and an optimal lap time to aim for. If my optimal is close enough to gold I'll keep going, but I may take another 5-10 laps to get there. If my optimal isn't close enough to gold, I'll take a look at @Tidgney's guide - because the chances are there's something going on with gearing that'll make up the time difference; some cars like to brake in-gear, some like to rattle down the box and over-rev, some cars like late changes, some cars like early changes - and try again.

You should be hitting your limit (to within a couple of tenths of a percent) in 50 laps, not 500.
I think the concept of baseline is one of the most agreed upon considerations, but going into detail it is not so obvious.

I would tend to call baseline pace that in which one can lap close to one's limit while keeping the risk of error as low as possible. I am sure some of you translate this to +-0.2s or even less. In my evolution this threshold started at +-1s and is only now slowly tapering off (let's say that now when I do better than +-0.5s I consider it a good run).

This greater variability, combined with the fact that TTs are made for the limit more than for regularity, makes it much more complicated for the less good (me among them) on the one hand to identify spefic points of improvement (that gear there, that way of accelerating there..) and on the other hand, just mathematically speaking, to minimize the distance between Personal Best and Ideal.

Those 50 laps you speak of, which are very reasonable and very close to what I think I do as well, are actually also spent, for those who are still learning, to minimize the distance between PB and ID because for us is problably more renumerative to put a "improvable" lap togheter than to perfect specific things. Now, obviously the two have to go hand by hand, and studying the lap is super-key to improve, but probably the %mix is very different depending on the skills.

Thank you. I am always amazed at how straightforward you (and other top players) make it look. No funky business or tricks, just outstanding control over the three inputs. Appreciate you sharing it - there is always a snippet of new knowledge to be gained from your videos.

Last edited:
Thank you. I am always amazed at how straightforward you (and other top players) make it look. No funky business or tricks, just outstanding control over the three inputs. Appreciate you sharing it - there is always a snippet of new knowledge to be gained your videos.
Thats why i love granturismo. No tricks no cheating, equal cars, legit leaderboards. A classy game like always 👌

Took me a few laps to warm up to the old girl, but got it down into a comfortable range eventually. This lap was with a couple of mistakes here and there, so I'm pretty sure a low :55 or even a high :54 is in there if need be. I found @Tidgney guide to be quite helpful. It's interesting Tidgney says rev the car out, Kie says short shift it lol. I used Tidgney's approach.

IMG_3280.jpg
IMG_3281.jpg
IMG_3282.jpg
IMG_3283.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. I am always amazed at how straightforward you (and other top players) make it look. No funky business or tricks, just outstanding control over the three inputs. Appreciate you sharing it - there is always a snippet of new knowledge to be gained your videos.
"there is always a snippet of new knowledge to be gained your videos."

True, but i can never replicate any of it :lol: :lol:
What a epic lap again @EbrahimX7 , the smoothness is real......, my place 61 ( which i am very proud of btw :lol:) lap looked like a chunky AWD ...
your's almost look like a RWD drive :lol:

Very nice to see them replays lately! thanks!

LOL....I just did an hour and a half session for the Corvette TT. I completed exactly FOUR laps. I also made it into the death chicane only 6 times 🤣🤣 The rest of he laps I never saw the top of the hill 🙈🙈

Before I finally did my PB....my thought about getting a good time was this.

1000077593.png

At the end, I finally got some decent curb RNGs and managed a 1:54.797 🤧

Man...this is one hard TT (in terms of valid lap)!!

1000077765.jpg

Last edited:
Once again Tidgney's ghost was required to safely tow me over the finish line. 1.55.723 should be more than safe but I gotta be honest the lap looks like absolute **** and even more so on the replay where it seems like my guy is trying to hold two enraged squirrels in his hands instead of a steering wheel :scared: So I'll probably come back.

Fun combo although this track is like a graveyard of invalidated laps. I would be willing to put money on it that Dragon Trail probably has one of the highest invalidation rates on TT events as is also evident from this thread.

Back in the woods at Deep Forest I've been finding the Lancer a pleasant change from the Monza-Lambo combo in so much as this car tends to go where you point it :D

Still, it's taken about 150 miles to almost break into the 1:33's, currently on a 1:34.047 so well into Gold but it's the small matter of linking 3 good sectors together, my main challenge coming in turns 8 and 9 (the last 2) where good exits seem to be the difference between 5 or 6 tenths.

I'll keep going as I'm keen to get into the 33's but after that will likely move onto the Corvette which I'm kinda dreading because oversteery cars coupled with THAT damn chicane spells potential trouble for this peddler :crazy:

IMG_3570.png

I saw this combo and got pretty excited. I was just thinking the other day how we hadn't been to Seaside in a while, and the car is a typical, tricky, handful of a machinery from the 80's. You know, those slidey road cars I enjoy so much. Good lord, this car is worse than I was expecting! :lol: It confuses me the way the rear end ever-so-slowly attempts to overtake the front of the car when accelerating out of the corners. It doesn't happen right away, but more of a slow progression where it just never stops oversteering until I find myself in the barrier. I honestly can't remember the last time I spun a car so many times. Coming out of the first chicane, the high speed right before the tight right hander before the end of sector 2, the chicane of death...Oddly, only 1 of my first 5 laps were invalidated before I proceeded to invalidate the next 5 straight. I ran 15 more laps and couldn't top the time I set on lap FOUR! :boggled: I stepped away for a few minutes, restarted my session (several times) before finally grabbing a sub 55 (barely). There is a ton of time out there to gain if I can learn to tame this oddball.
IMG_3617.jpg

Last edited:
Well the Lancer Evo challenge is very satisfying for me, just knocked my time down to 1'35.901. I'm going for it all the way. Even to get a sub 1'34.800! I'm watching SirDave's guide on Youtube, and studying his lines and braking points. He also uses 0 for TCS. I agree with Skydragon, I'm getting irritated with the Corvette challnge at Seaside.

EDIT: Yes, down to 1'35.726!! After 5 more laps.

Last edited:
This car just wants to kill you, everytime you hit throttle the devil unlocks or something :lol:
Then this track with it's huge rounded curbs doesn't realy help on exits :lol:
it's a lot of fun to throw around, to bad it's not the fastest way around..
Secondly..... when you finally understand the thing how not to make 180's on exits you have to be very brave at the COD....
it killed me most of the laps to be honest...
either...
To slidy on entry.... which kills you....
To close to the first apex..... which kills you...
To fast around the first apex...... which kills you...
then the real COD has yet even arrived :lol::lol::lol:

it's just 4th gear... lift.... hold on and pray it doesn't scrape the paint off....
Fun but very frustrating!!

That said, TV session was a lot better than the remote.... entrypoint of the COD in 120FPS is far more doable than on the laptop :lol:

Not to Shabby for the first meters but still it feels like Flabberthewapsky and need to find a way to get it more stable

191ea19716a61-screenshotUrl.jpg

Back