Tips on buying a Full size american sedan from 80s or 90s

• Thread starter Celicaas
  • 81 comments
Kuwait
Kuwait
Hi there folks

Im planning to buy a Car since by december i will have my licsense And im craving and drooling about these Big american sedans Like Caprices, Roadmasters, Caddies and such So what are the tips to find a good one which is taken care of

I dont mind dents and scratches Or minor stuff So what do you think ?

What are gas prices like where you're from?

I have a 1989 Lincoln Town Car so I'm kind of knowledgeable on these types of cars.

Also, what is your budget? We need info like that.

Gas prices are not that expensive a 5.7 liter engine Will be just 17 USD For a full gas tank

Dont worry about the budget Because anyway these cars are cheap nowadays and you can find parts for them nearly everywhere

Celicaas is in Kuwait, so I don't think he's too worried about gas prices.

Are you planning on buying one locally, or purchasing one in the US and shipping it over to Kuwait?

I wouldn't recommend a full size American car from the '90s. They were all downsizing then and all went ugly and downhill. The Lincoln Town Car was big from 1980-1989, and I think the Cadillac Brougham was somewhere in there as well. A well taken care of Lincoln Town Car will be great. They are extremely comfortable, and, uh, yea that's about it. They were made for comfort, not speed :lol: My Town Car used to belong to my great grandma who was the 3rd owner and it had about 105,000mi on it, but not the most gentle miles. It hasn't had any major problems, except now it's having an engine problem where it revs itself while it's idling (we think it is a sensor). Other than that, it just had it's original tires replaced last year (!) and had a tune up not too long ago, it runs great! The only problem is it's mileage, which is made worse that you get run over because of modern traffic (you darn four-cylinders making more power than my V8 :sly:)

If there's anything else I can help with, just ask.

@Crash
Local cars Might be a problem because It depends on the previous owner whether he took care of it or not So IF I Was going to take a local car i might Want to check the car myself

But imported from USA I Guess its better Because there are lots of enthusiasts For these kinda cars But im afraid of the shipping price it might be expensive i dunno

@King josh

Unfortunatly Town cars are rare but Ford vics and Marquises are very popular

I wouldn't recommend a full size American car from the '90s. They were all downsizing then and all went ugly and downhill. The Lincoln Town Car was big from 1980-1989, and I think the Cadillac Brougham was somewhere in there as well. A well taken care of Lincoln Town Car will be great. They are extremely comfortable, and, uh, yea that's about it. They were made for comfort, not speed :lol: My Town Car used to belong to my great grandma who was the 3rd owner and it had about 105,000mi on it, but not the most gentle miles. It hasn't had any major problems, except now it's having an engine problem where it revs itself while it's idling (we think it is a sensor). Other than that, it just had it's original tires replaced last year (!) and had a tune up not too long ago, it runs great! The only problem is it's mileage, which is made worse that you get run over because of modern traffic (you darn four-cylinders making more power than my V8 :sly:)

If there's anything else I can help with, just ask.

I agree with you, the only good cars from the '90s where the Cadillac Brougham which ended production in 1992, the Crown Victoria. and Caprices/Roadmaster's.

I own a 1985 Pontiac, 305 V8. It get's pretty decent mileage in the city as long as I'm not using the 4 bbl. Over 220KM and runs great. Any of the '77- '90 GM cars would fit the bill, Oldsmobile Delta 88 or 98, Buick Park Avenue, Oldsmobile Cutlass Sedans, Cadillac DeVille, Pontiac Bonneville, Chevy Caprice Classic etc. Their's still plenty around my area to be had for cheap (Mine was $500). A lot of them didn't have TBI until late in the '80s, so they offer simplicity to work on in the back yard and cheap on parts as well. 👍

Town Cars aren't really rare, rarer than some of the others you listed but still.

I recommend looking around on this website, it's the "World's Largest Collectors Car Marketplace." I search around there all the time. A Crown Vic or Marquis is a great option, too.

Yes, it depends on the cars. And with a large American car, it will be more expensive. It also depends on things like how far away you live from the port where it's delivered. I'll give you a link for some info.

Link

Edit: Also, if you decide you want a truck, be aware the tax on them (from what I've read) is MUCH higher than normal cars. It was a website talking about U.S to U.K importing, though, so I don't know if it's any different for Kuwait.

My buddy has a 1987 Town Car with a 302 V8 EFI and gets about 9mpg but it has lasted forever, very high miles and still never fails to impress him. Very reliable.

@Crash
Local cars Might be a problem because It depends on the previous owner whether he took care of it or not So IF I Was going to take a local car i might Want to check the car myself

But imported from USA I Guess its better Because there are lots of enthusiasts For these kinda cars But im afraid of the shipping price it might be expensive i dunno

@King josh

Unfortunatly Town cars are rare but Ford vics and Marquises are very popular

Even if you do buy one from USA you still will not know how it's been treated. If you can find parts and work on it yourself you might be better off finding one you can see.
Some of the things you will need to check out are the steering, brakes, body parts, and suspension. These are heavy cars and they like wearing these parts.

Get a GM B-Body car from the nineties, because LT-1.

Pretty much. Rock solid reliability, reasonably good performance for it's size, a great community for modifications if you are so inclined.

As I recall, they sold these vehicles all over the Middle-East at the time, and they were reasonably popular. If I remember right, they were strangely popular in Iraq despite our differences. Might be reasonable to check that out.

I've seen Impala SS' from that generation with T56s swapped in. It's a bit of awesomeness that I still have a hard time wrapping my head around.

Thanks guys for your help Crown Victorias .are really popular
over here. As well as 91-96 caprices as well as impalas

But does the lt1 engines tend to overheat and I heard the roadmasters have mechanicalproblems is that true ?

The only Regals that are worth buying today if you don't plan on painting them with fishing boat paint and putting hydraulics on them is the Grand National.

http://kuwait.q8car.com/en/cars/buick/regal/1986/167756/itemdetails.aspx

I got one here in Kuwait. A 1986 regal coupe for. 4,393 USD is it worth it ?

Well, that is defiantly in good shape. That's about 4,450 Canadian dollars and seems a bit high, but so do these prices. Maybe because it is more 'rare' over there?

There's this too;
http://kuwait.q8car.com/en/cars/buick/electra/1984/160081/itemdetails.aspx

Really nice Roadmaster with the Wire-wheels and wide white walls. :drool:
http://kuwait.q8car.com/en/cars/buick/roadmaster/1992/155930/itemdetails.aspx

The only Regals that are worth buying today if you don't plan on painting them with fishing boat paint and putting hydraulics on them is the Grand National.

Unless, you know, you're not a moron who can appreciate these cars in their original form. Hydraulics are the most useless thing ever. :yuck:

Last edited:
I assume the Monte Carlo counterparts are just as rare then?

How about an '83-'88 Thunderbird?

80s_cars_07_0810-lg.jpg

That model year hmmm no not really.

Tell you whati better stick with vice first. Since there popular. Then I will buy a B body

About. The Monte Carlo it is too. But you will find these cars with collectors

Unless, you know, you're not a moron who can appreciate these cars in their original form. Hydraulis are the most useless thing ever. :yuck:

What is there to appreciate about a non-turbo V6 G-Body compared to a newer V8 B-Body for apparently less money? He wants a large American sedan on the cheap, so his best options basically start and end at the B-Bodies or the Panther cars. And for the former he has a better chance of finding one with more equipment.

Last edited:
Back