Tips on buying a Full size american sedan from 80s or 90s

• Thread starter Celicaas
  • 81 comments
You'd be hard pressed to find spares for Camaroes or Thunderbirds here in Europe.

Granted, they may be ubiquitous in North America and are common and easy to maintain, but that's not the case worldwide. They're considerably rarer elsewhere. I don't think I've ever seen a Thunderbird outside of a car show. (That's almost definitely because it wasn't made for nor sold in the European market). So spares in Kuwait enabling quick and cheap maintenance isn't necessarily a given.

What it lacks in horsepower it makes up in torque though.

Yea, I think it makes around 270lb-ft.

Actually your motor was rated at about 200hp when it was new.

Really? Every source I've ever read has said it makes 150hp (160hp if you got the towing package with dual exhausts, which mine does not.)

My 14 year old 1.5L Civc still gets over 100hp. Your car should feel bad.

It does. :(

[QUOTEI was getting more at the tacky interiors not being nice places to be, more than the cost of the car.[/QUOTE]

While I agree they are kind of tacky by modern standards, in 1989 the expectations were much lower. People weren't really pushing for nicer interiors (at least here in 'Murica) until a few years ago. What was fine back then was a huge car with tons of space, which I like.

Some of the suggestions in this thread, and the "RWD for 10k" thread are ridiculous. Mustangs, Camaroes, Supras and such.

Yes, that's the whole reason I've stayed out of that thread. :lol:

Liquid
So spares in Kuwait enabling quick and cheap maintenance isn't necessarily a given.

The Middle East is one of the few places in the world where North American domestics are sold in decent numbers, probably because of the cheap gas and ability to deal with some dry, harsh conditions.

These cars go through suspensions like mad (well, anything does if you're looking at a 20 year old vehicle), but I would highly recommend avoiding anything with those fussy air-ride suspensions, which were rather popular items on luxury barges from the '80s and '90s. There are aftermarket conversion kits to disable them, which are cheaper, but I have no idea on price and availability (and shipping) in Kuwait.

Last edited:
The Middle East one of the few places in the world where North American domestics are sold in decent numbers, probably because of the cheap gas and ability to deal with some dry, harsh conditions.

Is that true? That's something I've learnt today then.

Was sure the Middle East was more partial to things like older Peugeots and Mercede-Benzes. The Peugeot 405 is still being made in Iran.

Yea, I think it makes around 270lb-ft.

Really? Every source I've ever read has said it makes 150hp (160hp if you got the towing package with dual exhausts, which mine does not.)

Should be making closer to 300. Mustangs, trucks and the luxury cars have consistant stock ratings of 200/300 from a 302. I think the best years for 5.0 Mustangs made 235/310, and you have pretty much the same engine. 351W's for those years were only making a little more. Don't let ratings for different cars fool you, the engines were exactly the same per application from 1983-1995. The only exception was EFI and roller cam introduction in the mid 80s.

That's still not to bad though, if it's tired I think your figures are pretty close. It made about the same as the 300 6 which put out 175/300 in it's best year. Couple of cheap bolt on parts and a good exhaust system will REALLY wake the engine up.

Shame that same motor in race trim 20 years prior could pump 470...street 300.

Define "the same engine." The LT1 in the Impala SS was "the same engine" as what they put in the Camaro and Corvette (particularly when the owner gets a few beers in him), but where those tended to be underrated from the factory (especially in the Camaro) the changes made to the thing to put it in the Caprice (like the iron heads) made it so it was not actually the same.

Define "the same engine." The LT1 in the Impala SS was "the same engine" as what they put in the Camaro and Corvette, but where those tended to be underrated (especially in the Camaro) the changes made to the thing to put it in the Caprice (like the iron heads) made it so it was not actually the same.

302 applications in Ford vehicles of the '80s had very little variation in them. Exhaust setup may differ depending on the vehicle depending on options ordered. Carbs were phased out for EFI which became a standard on everything in 1986 and as I said the introduction of roller cams in 1985 were identical to every other 302 installed. Pretty much every part will bolt off one and onto the other because nothing was much different. In the late '90s GT40 and GT40P heads were introduced for use in Explorers that had 302's installed but those really aren't anything different than the D0OE castings of the late '60s, excluding the P heads which had a slightly different spark plug angle.

Head castings were all the same, using poopy E7TE heads.

In Continentals throttle body injection systems were made standard in 1983.

The only thing that really changed the wheel power ratings was the drivetrain behind them. And even then it wasn't a whole lot.

Other than those few small exceptions everything between the engines was the same.

Hey guys @ liquid.

In Kuwait. Gas prices. Aren't. A. Problem. So V8,s. Are common over here. Plus. The roads are wide so no problem. For a car with that size. And I like those cars if you don't. That's. Your opinion. I don't mind tacky interiors either. And Peugeot cars. Are not. Good here. There expensive. To maintain. And why would. I want a Small 4L. When I have. A big American Soundtrack of glory. And. These. Cars. Were not. Made. For racing so hp wouldnt. Matter. Please. Keep. Your opinion to yourself. Please

Uh, okay... I'll keep my opinions to myself if you keep yours to yourself.

Deal?

/logik

All I ever see in the Middle East are Toyota Camry's and Honda Accords. Least y'all got cheap gas...

Totally jealous of Kuwait's LS2 Caprice! Why did Chevy offer some other country a RWD sedan with a freaking LS2 and not America?? Oh well, the new SS looks promising but now Dodge is stripping down their SRTs to make them cheaper. Chevy just doesn't get it...

Holden Monaro > Pontiac GTO > Vauxhall Monaro > Holden Monaro > Pontiac GTO > Vauxhall Monaro

Ford Galaxy > Volkswagen Sharan > Seat Alhambra > Ford Galaxy > Volkswagen Sharan > Seat Alhambra

Mitsubishi GTO > Mitsubishi 3000GT Dodge Stealth > Mitsubishi GTO > Mitsubishi 3000GT > Dodge Stealth

Opel Astra > Vauxhall Astra > Saturn Astra > Holden Astra > Chevrolet Astra > Opel Astra > Vauxhall Astra > Saturn Astra > Holden Astra > Chevrolet Astra

Isn't badge engineering fun?

Last edited:
So close... Minor brain fade on my part. I knew which car I meant...

Corrected. And I didn't even know that Plymouth had a version of the Eclipse!

I guess its easy to pick on those minor differences, but for some - especially those in the market - the differences do matter. There's a difference between a Camaro and a Trans-Am, even though at heart they're one in the same. But they (Pontiac and Chevy) did offer different interiors, luxuries, standards, style, trims, packages, so on and so forth... but yes, the chassis remained the same.

Perhaps most of you wouldn't know about the huge outcry for a RWD V8 Impala after the last iteration of the Impala SS (which fell short a LS2 and correct drivetrain). It wouldn't take Chevy long to cave from the massive demand and in 2014 they're reintroducing the G8 as a Chevrolet "SS."

And yes, there is a difference. The SS is more subtle in its styling, while the G8 is more obnoxious. Two different styles to accommodate two different tastes. So make fun all you want, there is a difference.

And there is and has always been a demand for a V8 RWD sedan. The CTS-V was one of the things that helped Cadillac revamp itself, offered only in RWD. The Charger SRT is another example of a V8 RWD car that's been madly successful in America. Not to mention the Ford Crown Victoria which had been offered in RWD with a V8 since the 1980s. Oh and I guess I should mention the Hyundai Genesis which made a huge impact on the market. BMW 550i is another V8 RWD sedan to keep an eye on... and hmmm, what else..

EDIT: And good lord, we all know Mitsubishi always had the best looking Eclipse.

Last edited:
Love lot of the cars being mentioned here(fan of the last Caprice produced), but I'd go with whichever car that would be cheaper to maintain. Pupik's advice on the air suspension is rock solid. AVOID.

Old cars break, so parts availability would be critical if you want to drive it. In my area, I'd go with 2000+ Crown Vics, because they sold plenty of those things in my area, mostly to government fleet(I guess also Taxis). Many of the last Crown Vics sold are still active police cars.

P.S. Only couple of issues with Crown Vics I'm familiar with are the lighting module & intake manifold. If you go searching on vehicle specific forum, I'm sure you'll be able to find out about any common issues that may exist with the car you might be interested in.

Good luck!

Latest Posts

Back