GTR from concept to production *finally comes to an end* or just the beginning =D

and one in san pedro california

gtrnz8.jpg

Rats! I was just about to post the same picture. :ouch:
Its a very nice car, but would be nicer if the picture was taken here in Australia. :sly:

They still keep calling the Skyline GTR. Oh and yeah they missed the money shot! (exposed engine)

Awesome thanks for the link,

Spanking the 911 Turbo, if it really can than thats simply awesome the 911 Turbo has tons of pace.

Awesome thanks for the link,

Spanking the 911 Turbo, if it really can than thats simply awesome the 911 Turbo has tons of pace.

other articles pin them as pretty darn close in performance on other tracks so either way its good news, now lets see specs and a price.

There have been a whole rash of sightings lately looks like Nissan is ramping up the testing, just release it already!

I've also emailed the editors at Edmunds Inside Line explaining the whole "skyline" GTR thing since they keep calling it skyline :lol:

Awesome links, guys. 👍

Laguna Seca pics are awesome, GT-R looks so much better than in video than in photos. 👍

I think I know one reason why the GTR is so much quicker than the Turbo. The Turbo is running Michelin PS2 tores, and you can see from the tread that the tires the GTR is wearing might as well be R-compound street/race tires. They look the same as the WRX STi, but I'm not positive. I'm almost positive this would be a "summer" or "track" package of some sort. The PS2s on a Turbo would perform much better in adverse conditions, and you know Nissan wouldn't let that happen. I bet there's also a more season-friendly tire option coming on the production car.

Of course, they could actually be deciding what tires they want to use on the production car. Maybe?

I think I know one reason why the GTR is so much quicker than the Turbo. The Turbo is running Michelin PS2 tores, and you can see from the tread that the tires the GTR is wearing might as well be R-compound street/race tires. They look the same as the WRX STi, but I'm not positive. I'm almost positive this would be a "summer" or "track" package of some sort. The PS2s on a Turbo would perform much better in adverse conditions, and you know Nissan wouldn't let that happen. I bet there's also a more season-friendly tire option coming on the production car.

Of course, they could actually be deciding what tires they want to use on the production car. Maybe?

Yeah here in cali they were testing different types of tires, but tires are an easy fix :)

Story and video:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/GeneralFuture/articleId=119632

After weeks of chasing the 2009 Nissan Skyline GT-R, from the streets of Los Angeles to one test facility and another, it looks like we've hit the end of the road for this GT-R's stint in America.

Following a day of hot-lapping at Sears Point, the Nissan engineering team headed south to Laguna Seca raceway to see how the Skyline GT-R would handle the 2.2-mile road course and its world-famous Corkscrew. The day wrapped up with the Nissan engineers mugging for an official Nissan camera crew, while our unofficial shooters snagged plenty of new spy photos and video.

Although the prototype never shed its front and rear camouflage, we caught the Nissan Skyline with its hood open, giving us the first-ever look at the GT-R's power plant. Close inspection reveals a few notable details about the engine that's expected to generate roughly 450 horsepower. Two short intake plenums with three barely visible runners on each side suggest a V6, as we expected. There's no conclusive evidence that it's Nissan's recently redesigned VQ35HR V6, but the front cover just behind the oil dipstick is consistent with current VQ design.

The placement of the dipstick itself is another tip to this GT-R's configuration. Previous Skylines have integrated the front differential of the all-wheel-drive system into the engine's oil sump. With the dipstick so far forward in the engine compartment, we expect this GT-R will continue to use this configuration.

Any doubts about a twin-turbo setup can be laid to rest as there's plenty of visible plumbing. And those vents in the hood are clearly not there for show. The gold-colored caps of the twin compressor bypass valves are visible on the cast-aluminum intake plumbing. With plumbing running toward the front of the car, it's a safe bet that there's a monster air-to-air intercooler buried in the nose, or maybe even two smaller ones.

We're not sure how it all works, but it does work, as the GT-R consistently lapped quicker around Laguna Seca than its Porsche 911 Turbo companion. According to our hand-timed data, the GT-R's fastest lap proved to be a 1:39.62, while the 911 recorded a 1:39.89. Put Walter Rohl behind the wheel of the 911 and it might be a different story, but the GT-R clearly has the kind of power and grip to match up against the best sports cars in the world.

As the day wrapped up, it was clear that Nissan's team was headed home for good. The engineers (including Chief Engineer Kazutoshi Muzuno in the snappy salmon-colored shirt) were posing for team pictures and having fun, so the serious work was clearly over. Of course, back in Japan there's still plenty of development work left as the official introduction is slated for the 2007 Tokyo Auto Show, with U.S. sales expected early next year.

gtr.lag.seca.kgp.02.500.jpg

gtr.eng.close.500.jpg

gtr.int.close.500.jpg

gtr.lag.seca.kgp.act.1.500.jpg

gtr.lag.seca.kgp.act.2.500.jpg

gtr.lag.seca.kgp.people.2.500.jpg

gtr.lag.seca.kgp.people.1.500.jpg

gtr.lag.seca.kgp.08.500.jpg

gtr.lag.seca.kgp.pits.500.jpg

Thanks for the latest 👍

And those vents in the hood are clearly not there for show. The gold-colored caps of the twin compressor bypass valves are visible on the cast-aluminum intake plumbing.

They say the vents are clearly not for show but it doesn't seem so clear from the engine picture. What are they for then? The "compressor bypass valves" are not going to need them and I can't see or think of much else under there that would except maybe alittle airflow over the turbochargers or general engine bay.

If you look at the hood, where the vents are, you can see some plastic hanging down from the top, leading to some function.

interestingly enough check out the pic of the GTR compared to the VQ35HR, note the location of the dip stick and radiator cap and overflow reservoir, the dual intake setup. SO its probably a larger displacement variant of that.

gtr.eng.close.500.jpg

4motor2yd7.jpg

21_350Z.jpg

Also the GTR doesn't appear to have a strut bar...

I see that the pictures are named in a certain configuration, for example that engine pic is labeled as 09.nissan.skyline.gtr/gtr.eng.close.500.jpg I wonder if there is a larger size we can get access to?

If you look at the hood, where the vents are, you can see some plastic hanging down from the top, leading to some function.

Now you mention it I do notice the plastic tubes (missed them before), they look like they are providing some cool airflow towards the turbochargers.

Interesting about the lack of a strut bar...

not just any M5, but the Ring Taxi driven by Sabine Schmidt if I'm not mistaken! :eek::scared: :crazy: :nervous:

that was one effortless pass..

To be fair the M5 looks to just be moving to the right for the GTR.

Back