Tobacco Branding

Australia
Australia
Do you think they should be getting rid of the cigarette/tobacco branding from the race cars?

I really hate that this is done. Those brandings are the reason these cars, some of which are classics and symbolic to the motorsport they belong to, look the way they do.

Gran Turismo 6 has a tribute to Ayrton Senna. Which I think is fantastic, they have his classic Lotus in the black and gold get up. The John Player Special branding. Except the logo and name isn't there. I noticed on the classic cars in F1 2013, the yellow Lotus has Camel removed.

I do not smoke. I do not judge those who do. But taking off those brands and putting something else there is just re-writing history. What's next? Using photoshop to get rid of those brandings in books that are published from here on out?

How about Peter Brock? Those red and white Marlboro cars? Senna/Prost in the Marlboro sponsored McLaren? This could really go on. Is it a censorship thing? If people did not want tobacco advertising because they think it will encourage people to smoke that is one thing, not having their brand on billboards around the track or whatnot, it is another to take something from the past and just alter it. Besides, having some writing with some pretty colours on a wall or car shouldn't make people want to smoke or drink anyway. It is not as if these racing games are doing close up shots on packs of smokes, or people smoking them.

My argument is not sticking up for the exclusion of the tobacco companies, I'm sticking up for the idea of that erasing the very brand that gave the car its colours is wrong. Like it or not, the John Player Special colours made for a great livery. Look at Jim Richards BMW 635csi.

That's my rant. Just leave history how it is.

Last edited:
"How about" changing the subject of this thread to something meaningful?

(If that wouldn't be too revisionist.)

Change the title, the moderators won't allow that. Also, the reason why they get rid of tobacco and alcohol branding in GT is so that the rating will not be pushed to T- Teen for alcohol and tobacco references.

I'd support this but I'm afraid the watchdogs are too well dug in. Who knows, maybe they have a point.

Just give us a livery editor.

Back