Too Much Weather

• Thread starter CeeMore
  • 46 comments
United States
United States
Well you all wanted weather and now every freaking track and race that pays anything
has to be held in a rain storm. How about a blizzard or a sand storm once in a while?
I know, lets have a race wherein you have to drift the entire course in the rain while spectators
throw rocks at your car from the side of the track as you drive by them

Sports tires are your friend, they're a better transition tire as they hold more grip than the IMs do in the dry (I get they're not really an option for Group car classes but still). Zoom your weather map out too to judge better when it's coming.

Having dynamic weather makes racing this AI way more interesting, so sorry you feel the need to be overdramatic about it I guess? 🤷‍♂️

The problem with the weather is that the transitions are just too darn fast. I get it that the races are short and PD wants to throw some curveballs in during the race, but when a shower lasts for 10 seconds and soaks the track, it's kind of silly.

In reality, you can generally know when rain is coming by watching the radar, and you can usually plan accordingly. Even fully zoomed out, the weather radar has rain showers flying past the track at mach speed, and you really can't plan ahead of time to grab the right tires. You're pretty much always on the back foot reacting to what's already happening. I'm guessing that's due to the time acceleration that's going on during these shorter races. I'd have to test a race at 1x time to see if it made a difference.

I know what you mean. It's not the rain I have a problem with but the sunny-rain-sunny-rain transitions we get during the 15-30 minute races. The tire wear and fuel usage is multiplied multiple times and so is the weather transitions. I would like more realism in my driving simulator.

Last edited:
Of the 34 tracks in the game, 11 have wet weather.
I'd argue there isn't enough weather in the game (yet).
However, the amount of rain is not designed for eleven, but for 34 routes.
How much rain would you like?

Yes.:lol:

Last edited:
It’s also good to see what tyres AI use. So, not only do we see how fast the AI programming is, we can see some use SM, SS, RS and think, “No wonder...”.

It doesn't :banghead:
At 1x It might not make a difference with the volume of rain, but with the weather radar set to 93 miles, you could have several laps to prepare for rain coming.
With the time advance on, as with most races, the rain shoots across the radar like a hyper-sonic missile, not even having a lap to prepare it, making the radar useless.

Hope on the longer endurance events if they come, not be the need to use extreme time/weather advance.

The problem with the weather is that the transitions are just too darn fast. I get it that the races are short and PD wants to throw some curveballs in during the race, but when a shower lasts for 10 seconds and soaks the track, it's kind of silly.

In reality, you can generally know when rain is coming by watching the radar, and you can usually plan accordingly. Even fully zoomed out, the weather radar has rain showers flying past the track at mach speed, and you really can't plan ahead of time to grab the right tires. You're pretty much always on the back foot reacting to what's already happening. I'm guessing that's due to the time acceleration that's going on during these shorter races. I'd have to test a race at 1x time to see if it made a difference.
Race length determines the speed at which the weather moves regardless of time acceleration. Time acceleration only affects the day/night cycle, doesn't even affect the speed at which the track dries.

In custom races you get 9 weather states from 50 minutes on, they simply stretch out the longer the race is.
In a 12H race it takes about 22 minutes for weather to travel 150 km. It moves at about 400 kph.
In a 8h race I clocked it at 15 minutes for 200 km, moving at about 800 kph
In a 3H race it's about a minute per 25 km = 1,500 kph.

The speed of the weather might be variable though, need more data points. Yet in a 1h race the rain blobs shoot by so fast rain doesn't have time to fall. Yet it doesn't matter whether I accelerate time or not, the weather scales by race length.

Sports tires are your friend, they're a better transition tire as they hold more grip than the IMs do in the dry (I get they're not really an option for Group car classes but still). Zoom your weather map out too to judge better when it's coming.

Having dynamic weather makes racing this AI way more interesting, so sorry you feel the need to be overdramatic about it I guess? 🤷‍♂️
I used to hate the rain on previous GT games but I have to admit that the weather in GT7 is pretty good. Smooth transitions in sky and rain on the track. I actually like driving in the rain now. I do wish the would speed the time factor to 20x at least. Would love to do some day to night back to day races.
At 1x It might not make a difference with the volume of rain, but with the weather radar set to 93 miles, you could have several laps to prepare for rain coming.
With the time advance on, as with most races, the rain shoots across the radar like a hyper-sonic missile, not even having a lap to prepare it, making the radar useless.

Hope on the longer endurance events if they come, not be the need to use extreme time/weather advance.
I have found that keeping the radar on 93 miles out provides the best, most realistic looking radar. The other settings are useless in my opinion.

Hey Famine, I did a multi-quote. :) Getting better. Easier on the PC than on the phone.

In custom races you get 9 weather states from 50 minutes on, they simply stretch out the longer the race is.
In a 12H race it takes about 22 minutes for weather to travel 150 km. It moves at about 400 kph.
In a 8h race I clocked it at 15 minutes for 200 km, moving at about 800 kph
In a 3H race it's about a minute per 25 km = 1,500 kph.
So it literally moves faster than sound. That's amazing.

They really need to figure this mess out. You can still have 9 different weather types in 3 hours without the clouds moving that fast. Just have smaller blobs, instead of one huge blob moving that fast. Then you can still prepare before it's too late.

It's not nearly as dynamic as it sounded either, I thought there could be more randomness to the weather than a % chance of preset weather occurring at set points. At the moment it's not much different than Forza Motorsport 7's "dynamic" weather, just with more slots and the addition of a not-so-useful radar.

Smooth transitions in sky and rain on the track.
You must be joking. I take it you've never seen a race where the overcast sky is suddenly gone - blam, insta-sun... insta-rain, insta-sun... 40 minute days...

As others have said, we don't have a chance for a pit strategy. Regardless of what a 100 mile weather radar says, rain starts and stops pretty much with little warning. Clouds on the horizon? In my first few races, it was guaranteed to rain for at least a lap and a half, and then it ended, therefore radar was some use. That I could deal with. Now, it can sprinkle, it can soak, it may do nothing. I'm stuck with leaving racing hards on my cars because half the time it hardly rains or won't give a drop. I'd rather flounder with the bots than have them use me as a brake because I'm creeping around turns in my intermediates on a dry track.

You must be joking. I take it you've never seen a race where the overcast sky is suddenly gone - blam, insta-sun... insta-rain, insta-sun... 40 minute days...

As others have said, we don't have a chance for a pit strategy. Regardless of what a 100 mile weather radar says, rain starts and stops pretty much with little warning. Clouds on the horizon? In my first few races, it was guaranteed to rain for at least a lap and a half, and then it ended, therefore radar was some use. That I could deal with. Now, it can sprinkle, it can soak, it may do nothing. I'm stuck with leaving racing hards on my cars because half the time it hardly rains or won't give a drop. I'd rather flounder with the bots than have them use me as a brake because I'm creeping around turns in my intermediates on a dry track.
Not sure what to tell you but I do not encounter this. I'm on PS5. Are you on PS4 by chance?

So it literally moves faster than sound. That's amazing.

They really need to figure this mess out. You can still have 9 different weather types in 3 hours without the clouds moving that fast. Just have smaller blobs, instead of one huge blob moving that fast. Then you can still prepare before it's too late.

It's not nearly as dynamic as it sounded either, I thought there could be more randomness to the weather than a % chance of preset weather occurring at set points. At the moment it's not much different than Forza Motorsport 7's "dynamic" weather, just with more slots and the addition of a not-so-useful radar.
It's a bit too dynamic. Even setting those rain states does not guarantee rain. I've had it stay dry on numerous occasion despite using R04 and R06, rain with clouds presets. Or they generate just a few blobs which can easily miss the track. Only R07 and R08 seem to guarantee rain (torrential rain presets), yet also those can either be a big swath of rain or just a narrow band that flies by. And the dark blue (the torrential part) is sometimes just a line or not present at all.

So it's very random and I guess just like in missions, different when you restart the race. It would be nice to have some more control over the rain. Atm you can't even see at about what time each state will activate. Kinda hard to plan for a nice sunset after the rain when you can't see the time and the game only offers vague presets, afternoon, early dawn, evening, what time is sunrise, how long is day time.

The weather needs to slow down, no idea why it can't generate the weather pattern for the whole race before the start then put it on the radar and animate it at normal speed or according to time acceleration settings. In a 3H race with x8 acceleration (for full day/night) clouds moving at 60 kph in reality would still only move at 480 kph, not 1,500. And 150km look ahead should still take 19 minutes, not 6 which is less than one lap on N24. At 1x speed you would have 2.5 hours visible around you on a 150 km range weather radar.

It's also bugged. Sometimes it rains when it doesn't show any blobs in the center on the radar, sometimes it doesn't rain when it does show blue in the middle. Maybe it's offset as well :/

It's a bit too dynamic. Even setting those rain states does not guarantee rain. I've had it stay dry on numerous occasion despite using R04 and R06, rain with clouds presets. Or they generate just a few blobs which can easily miss the track. Only R07 and R08 seem to guarantee rain (torrential rain presets), yet also those can either be a big swath of rain or just a narrow band that flies by. And the dark blue (the torrential part) is sometimes just a line or not present at all.

So it's very random and I guess just like in missions, different when you restart the race. It would be nice to have some more control over the rain. Atm you can't even see at about what time each state will activate. Kinda hard to plan for a nice sunset after the rain when you can't see the time and the game only offers vague presets, afternoon, early dawn, evening, what time is sunrise, how long is day time.

The weather needs to slow down, no idea why it can't generate the weather pattern for the whole race before the start then put it on the radar and animate it at normal speed or according to time acceleration settings. In a 3H race with x8 acceleration (for full day/night) clouds moving at 60 kph in reality would still only move at 480 kph, not 1,500. And 150km look ahead should still take 19 minutes, not 6 which is less than one lap on N24. At 1x speed you would have 2.5 hours visible around you on a 150 km range weather radar.

It's also bugged. Sometimes it rains when it doesn't show any blobs in the center on the radar, sometimes it doesn't rain when it does show blue in the middle. Maybe it's offset as well :/
1. Have to say I quite like the fact you set it to rain which it doesn’t but just misses the track. But when you do want a dry - wet race it is annoying when it does happen.

2. I’d like they to be a 24 hours clock in the game which shows the in game world time.

3. As for the, “it rains when it doesn’t show anything”, Ive noticed some tracks have a weather setting called “cloudless rain”. I wonder if this the issue you saw?

As for the weather I agree the speed in which it changes is unrealistic but i don’t know how you can fix that without doing 2/3/4 hours races.
F1 2021 is the worst for changing weather. As soon as it stops raining the track is bone dry. At least on this game you still have a wet track and a dry line forms.

Maybe my eyes fail me as I get up there in age...

Is there a place prior to entering the race that displays % chance of rain?

During the Menu Book phase, it was rather annoying to find out that a race may or may not have rain (at any point)
We got windage (while racing) in the update, but no forecast stuff that I can see... unless I'm looking in the wrong spot (not talking about during the race).

Couldnt you have post on the post that is like 3 posts below in the same vain ?

You really had to do your complaining thread about the same subject ? Man people are never happy, no weather, people are saying I want rain, they put just rain, people are saying I want transition, they put transition and now people complain about weather. Seriously...

Back