Toyota Corolla (E80) Levin AE86 by Rauh Welt 1984

• Thread starter StarLight
  • 1 comments
Portugal
Portugal
vd1xj4.jpg

StarLight Garage brings to you another tuned car, the Toyota Corolla AE86 Levin hatchback by Rauh Welt from 1984.

The Toyota Corolla AE86 will always have an unshakable association with the world of drifting, drifting something that's looks so easy but in real live difficult to learn we are after all no all Ken Block or any Japanese drift vedette.

Although I'm not involved in the drifting world, I adore to see how this guys drift. The only drifting (I called it skating) is when in Holland some parking places are under ice after a heavy snow blizzard and get frozen the next day ... anyways that my favorite place to take my car for a spin on ice (of course the parking place is empty and no lanterns in the neighbourhood).

And once again a suggestion from Slender_Man.

2ew2q20.jpg

When it comes to a car like the Toyota Corolla that actually was not built to go sideways it will for sure capture my attention.

After more than a decade I think that the name Hachiroku (incorporated with anime and initial-D)is the best word to define what's drifting all about. Like the most drifting cars, they must be light-weight and have rear wheel drive setup but they must also be cheap too.

And don't forget the needed screaming engine like the 1.6L 4AG powering the rear wheels and the fact that it will get easily sideways.
I have been told that a great drifting car is purely based on simplicity and raw dynamics.

This beautiful Red AE86 drift car (I would be scared to damage such a car when drifting away) is a great example of how a car like this one can be built to go fast and the driver behind the wheel will enjoy the drifting performance into the equation with other cars.

This car is not only a welcome refreshing change but most of all the name Rauh Welt on the windscreen.
A unique car that rolled out of Rauh Welt quite some time ago.

When we take a look under the hood we will find the usual engine, a 1.6L, longitudinally mounted 4AG we all know so well, but when we take a closer look we see that this one is a force-induced variant.
This engine is based on a 4AG-ZE, a supercharged version of Toyota's little 4-cylinder that powered many versions of the AE92 and AW11 MR2 as well.

But we need always more power, so the to get more performance the roots-type blower the engine is equipped with or better saying, replaced by an original oldschool HKS/Garrett turbo kit. Despite it's an outdated design nowadays the actual engineering behind it is far more interesting when it comes to a strong solid cast iron exhaust manifold and an external wastegate to keep an eye on boost levels.
Yes, that's we precisely need for such a car ... obvious!

The installed 430 cc/min injectors in combination with an R32 GT-R in-tank fuel pump are sufficient enough to supply the required fuel easily and fast processing. All the required piping to mount the GReddy intercooler up front are custom made and the same applies to it's exhaust system.
The used ECU (Freedom) is used for the engine management and allows the engine to develop a reliable 220 HP, that's 75 HP more than when the little 4AG engine was in its supercharged configuration. The driveline also received an major upgrade ... shorter gears, a single plate clutch kit and a 2-way LSD all from TRD.

Cosmetic upgrades have been taken care by a Run Free body kit, front and rear bumpers, side skirts, wider FRP front fenders and a vented hood to help the engine get rid of it's heat much as possible from the engine bay. D-Max rear overfenders have also been riveted to help pump the rear of the car. White 7Jx15" Buddy Club P1 wheels to give it a track oriented feeling. The suspension has been fine tuned for feel and precision by installing Tokiko HTS front dampers, TRD rear shocks, lowered and harder springs in combination with Cusco adjustable links and roll center adjusters.

What about the nice carpeting the car had? Well they get rid off it too to expose the painted shell, which prior to being sprayed with the same glossy red as the body, was spot welded and fitted with a bolt-in roll cage for safety issues.

Even the from factory LCD has been upgraded, well the left side remained untouched but a few more precise gauges have been added like an Omori rpm meter and Blitz boost gauge.
Then they added a GReddy oil pressure unit and a Omori water/oil temp meter. The Greddy Profec B boost controller will add additional adjustability to the HKS wastegate with a few preset boost limits.

Light Bride chairs in red replace the soft and comfortable stock chairs to give the interior a more aggressive style. The lightly cupped Nardi wheel seems the "creme de la creme" finishing touch.

When we look very very close at this drifting gem we can't find any spot of rust. The car is everywhere we look so amazing cleaning that you could perfectly use as your dish as matter of speaking of course before I get comments.
For the needed optimal weight balance they put the battery in an aluminum behind the passenger seat. They really think about everything when building this car .... just an amazing work.

Specifications can be find through the article.

Article written by Starlight

1o0ldz.jpg

4v1m2u.jpg

xp3myx.jpg

a0wb9w.jpg

x6ms7c.jpg

1zcgsm.jpg

24qtn37.jpg

THE OTHER TOYOTAS ARE HERE

[URL='https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/toyota-celica-twin-cam-turbo-ta64-group-b-1984.316198']
mcel94.jpg
[/URL]

Back