TPC Presents: Lancia Stratos Rallycross @ Catalunya, Sunday November 15th

• Thread starter MaxAttack
  • 73 comments
United Kingdom
Isle of Wight, UK
Lancia Stratos Rallycross
Sunday, 15th November - 10PM GMT.

Join The Pit Crew for a very unconventional night of racing as we take the Lancia Stratos - tuned as close to the group 4 WRC spec of the 1970s as possible - to our makeshift, mixed surface rallycross track at Circuit de Barcelona Catalunya. This is a one-off, casual event and something of an experiment with format as we try to replicate a rallycross event within Gran Turismo Sport.

Lancia Stratos '72
  • Power: 103% (191hp)
  • Weight: 90% (882kg)
  • Tyres: Sports Soft
  • Differential: 7/12/7 (You may adjust this setting to your preference)
  • Gearing:
    • Max Speed: 168mph
    • 1st: 2.800 / 55
    • 2nd: 2.053 / 75
    • 3rd: 1.522 / 101
    • 4th: 1.189 / 130
    • 5th: 0.973 / 169
    • Final Drive: 3.651

We will be racing at Circuit de Barcelona Catalunya along a mixed surface route in sector 3. Since this is not an official track, you may want to practice. Attached below is the video that inspired the event, but be aware that we won't be using the hairpin as turn one.

Below is a (crude) track map and a description of the lap. One lap is approximately 60 seconds. The extended joker corner adds 5-10s to the lap.

The start line is the bridge at the end of the back straight. The first turn is the long left hander; going straight past the regular hairpin and all the way around the red surface. Then the first surface change as we take the right hander on the green surface on the inside of the grass. Everything from the kerb to the inside wall is legal track surface here. Then, back onto tarmac for the right hander down the hill and towards the chicane. Here we take the first left through the sliproad and another left onto the old final turn. Up the hill, and through the tight double chicane, we then follow the track (in reverse) back around the long left hander. On the exit of this turn on the right is a dirt sliproad - this is the next part of the track. Follow the dirt down the hill, and treat the end as a right-left chicane back into turn one.

Like real rallycross, the start straight is only used once. The finish line will be the transition from dirt back to tarmac on the final corner.

Also like real rallycross, you MUST take the longer Joker corner once per race.

The format of the event will depend on the amount of signups. Ideally, with a sixteen car grid, the procedure will be as follows;

Firstly, when the lobby starts, there will be barriers blocking part of the track. These will need to be shepherded into the gravel - I will have the lobby open slightly early to do this but be aware if you intend to practice, or turn up early, these barriers will need to be moved (it doesn't take very long and they don't reset.)

• The field will be randomly sorted into 4 groups of 4 cars.
  • Each group will race one 4 lap heat.
  • First and Second position will advance to the semis.
  • 3rd and 4th place will form two consolation heats to be driven before the semis.
  • First and Second position from the consolation heats will advance.
  • Each Semi-final will have a random grid order, with the two consolation winners starting slightly behind.
  • Each Semi-final is a 6 car, 4 lap race.
  • Top three advance to the final.
  • We will attempt to set a grid according to who has the highest finishing positions so far.
  • The final will be a 6 car, 6 lap race.

This format is subject to change depending on the number of signups; I will aim to create the cleanest RX format possible. Each race should take 5-10 minutes, accounting for getting all cars to the start line etc.

The lobby will be set to friends only, so please send a friend request with your entry if we're not already buddies.

• Room Mode: Free Run
  • Conditions: 16:30 Sunny
  • Damage: Visible only
  • Tyres/Fuel: Off
  • Slipstream: Real
  • Tuning: No Limits - See "The Car" section.
  • Penalties: Off
  • Flags: Off
  • CSA: Prohibited
  • ASM: Prohibited
  • Traction Control: Very Prohibited

Whilst the standard etiquette of racing should be applied, some contact is probably inevitable. I'd ask this event be governed by courtesy and common sense - due to the format, there is no real capacity for any punishments other than outright disqualification, which I will reserve only for extreme circumstances.

A fastest lap will not be possible to calculate as we will run in Free Run mode. You are welcome to make rough estimates but no official record can be given.

One participant is required as race control - to signal the start of the race and keep a rough eye on proceedings. I don't expect cheating from the GTP community but everyone MUST take the Joker lap in each race or face disqualification or demotion from a qualifying position.

Track limits are somewhat vague by necessity so I include the following guidelines;
  • The red surface inside turn one is out of bounds. You must keep two wheels on the tarmac all the way around here.
  • With the change onto the green surface, you should aim to be braking across the grass. Going too far to the right leads to gravel, and too far left onto the tarmac. It is quite a straightforward and natural line but again - practice might pay off.
  • Be very careful of the tight double chicane on the way back up the hill. If you catch these barriers they will stop you dead. Give them a wide birth and don't attack this part of the circuit too vigorously, especially with the company of other cars. It's very tight.
  • Be aware when transitioning onto the dirt the car's handling will drastically change, including your braking distances.
  • The final chicane, from the dirt back round to turn one, is quite tight. I'd prefer the kerbs were respected but I think a bit of liberal kerb abuse here will save us all some hassle.

I encourage all of you to create an original or replica livery for this event. The only regulations are as follows -
  • Please display your race number clearly on the sides of your car.
  • Please run a unique livery from other competitors - I don't really want 10 Alitalia Stratoses.
  • Whilst not a hard rule - try to keep your livery Rally/race themed.
It should be noted, due to the event running in Free Run, no replay captures will be possible, without using the PS4s capture feature.

This will be something of an experiment, so if you plan to enter, it might be a good idea to get some practice in, as this will be quite unlike any race you've taken part in. The aim here is to have fun and try something a little different. If that and a good heaping of oversteer and tyre smoke sounds like your jam, sign up below:

• MaxAttack/TPC_MaxAttack/#83
  • Kermit2142/Kermit2142/ #4
  • Pigems/TPC_Pigems/#420
  • Adam Barber/GTP_Abarber95/#95
  • GOTMAXPOWER/GOTMAXPOWER/#2
  • Drex124/Drex125/#11
  • El_Beardo/El_Beardo_Grande/#52
  • Harsk100/HarskGaming96/#1
  • HaydenFan69/HaydenFan69/#70
  • ILLEAGLE_34/ILLEAGLE_34/#34
  • R_Goldstreiff/robbybass/#4

Entry Form:
  • GTP Name:
  • PSN Name:
  • Race Number:
Questions, Suggestions, Queries? Reply below.

Last edited:
My car's livery is ready to go! It is based on Markku Alén's Stratos HF, which has competed in 1978 WRC season.
I tried the car at Catalunya yesterday and it is very stable for me so far. :cheers:
20201030235126.jpg
20201030235133.jpg
b13f7ee9a17d7dda16537c259174ecd8.jpg

Last edited:
Actually surprised how much of the actual Rallycross track was animated by the PD guys.

I assume those white barriers in the slalom section don’t move? That’ll be interesting.

Name; HaydenFan69
Name: HaydenFan69
Car #: 70 (bc 69 just ends up causing some silly giggling and nobody takes you serious).

Last edited:
Lancia Stratos Rallycross
Sunday, 15th November - 10PM GMT.

Join The Pit Crew for a very unconventional night of racing as we take the Lancia Stratos - tuned as close to the group 4 WRC spec of the 1970s as possible - to our makeshift, mixed surface rallycross track at Circuit de Barcelona Catalunya. This is a one-off, casual event and something of an experiment with format as we try to replicate a rallycross event within Gran Turismo Sport.

Lancia Stratos '72
  • Power: 103% (191hp)
  • Weight: 90% (882kg)
  • Tyres: Sports Soft
  • Differential: 7/12/7 (You may adjust this setting to your preference)
  • Gearing:
    • Max Speed: 168mph
    • 1st: 2.800 / 55
    • 2nd: 2.053 / 75
    • 3rd: 1.522 / 101
    • 4th: 1.189 / 130
    • 5th: 0.973 / 169
    • Final Drive: 3.651

We will be racing at Circuit de Barcelona Catalunya along a mixed surface route in sector 3. Since this is not an official track, you may want to practice. Attached below is the video that inspired the event, but be aware that we won't be using the hairpin as turn one.

Below is a (crude) track map and a description of the lap. One lap is approximately 60 seconds. The extended joker corner adds 5-10s to the lap.

The start line is the bridge at the end of the back straight. The first turn is the long left hander; going straight past the regular hairpin and all the way around the red surface. Then the first surface change as we take the right hander on the green surface on the inside of the grass. Everything from the kerb to the inside wall is legal track surface here. Then, back onto tarmac for the right hander down the hill and towards the chicane. Here we take the first left through the sliproad and another left onto the old final turn. Up the hill, and through the tight double chicane, we then follow the track (in reverse) back around the long left hander. On the exit of this turn on the right is a dirt sliproad - this is the next part of the track. Follow the dirt down the hill, and treat the end as a right-left chicane back into turn one.

Like real rallycross, the start straight is only used once. The finish line will be the transition from dirt back to tarmac on the final corner.

Also like real rallycross, you MUST take the longer Joker corner once per race.

The format of the event will depend on the amount of signups. Ideally, with a sixteen car grid, the procedure will be as follows;

Firstly, when the lobby starts, there will be barriers blocking part of the track. These will need to be shepherded into the gravel - I will have the lobby open slightly early to do this but be aware if you intend to practice, or turn up early, these barriers will need to be moved (it doesn't take very long and they don't reset.)

• The field will be randomly sorted into 4 groups of 4 cars.
  • Each group will race one 4 lap heat.
  • First and Second position will advance to the semis.
  • 3rd and 4th place will form two consolation heats to be driven before the semis.
  • First and Second position from the consolation heats will advance.
  • Each Semi-final will have a random grid order, with the two consolation winners starting slightly behind.
  • Each Semi-final is a 6 car, 4 lap race.
  • Top three advance to the final.
  • We will attempt to set a grid according to who has the highest finishing positions so far.
  • The final will be a 6 car, 6 lap race.

This format is subject to change depending on the number of signups; I will aim to create the cleanest RX format possible. Each race should take 5-10 minutes, accounting for getting all cars to the start line etc.

The lobby will be set to friends only, so please send a friend request with your entry if we're not already buddies.

• Room Mode: Free Run
  • Conditions: 16:30 Sunny
  • Damage: Visible only
  • Tyres/Fuel: Off
  • Slipstream: Real
  • Tuning: No Limits - See "The Car" section.
  • Penalties: Off
  • Flags: Off
  • CSA: Prohibited
  • ASM: Prohibited
  • Traction Control: Very Prohibited

Whilst the standard etiquette of racing should be applied, some contact is probably inevitable. I'd ask this event be governed by courtesy and common sense - due to the format, there is no real capacity for any punishments other than outright disqualification, which I will reserve only for extreme circumstances.

A fastest lap will not be possible to calculate as we will run in Free Run mode. You are welcome to make rough estimates but no official record can be given.

One participant is required as race control - to signal the start of the race and keep a rough eye on proceedings. I don't expect cheating from the GTP community but everyone MUST take the Joker lap in each race or face disqualification or demotion from a qualifying position.

Track limits are somewhat vague by necessity so I include the following guidelines;
  • The red surface inside turn one is out of bounds. You must keep two wheels on the tarmac all the way around here.
  • With the change onto the green surface, you should aim to be braking across the grass. Going too far to the right leads to gravel, and too far left onto the tarmac. It is quite a straightforward and natural line but again - practice might pay off.
  • Be very careful of the tight double chicane on the way back up the hill. If you catch these barriers they will stop you dead. Give them a wide birth and don't attack this part of the circuit too vigorously, especially with the company of other cars. It's very tight.
  • Be aware when transitioning onto the dirt the car's handling will drastically change, including your braking distances.
  • The final chicane, from the dirt back round to turn one, is quite tight. I'd prefer the kerbs were respected but I think a bit of liberal kerb abuse here will save us all some hassle.

I encourage all of you to create an original or replica livery for this event. The only regulations are as follows -
  • Please display your race number clearly on the sides of your car.
  • Please run a unique livery from other competitors - I don't really want 10 Alitalia Stratoses.
  • Whilst not a hard rule - try to keep your livery Rally/race themed.
It should be noted, due to the event running in Free Run, no replay captures will be possible, without using the PS4s capture feature.

This will be something of an experiment, so if you plan to enter, it might be a good idea to get some practice in, as this will be quite unlike any race you've taken part in. The aim here is to have fun and try something a little different. If that and a good heaping of oversteer and tyre smoke sounds like your jam, sign up below:

• MaxAttack/TPC_MaxAttack/#83
  • Kermit2142/Kermit2142/ #46
  • Pigems/TPC_Pigems/#420
  • Adam Barber/GTP_Abarber95/#95
  • GOTMAXPOWER/GOTMAXPOWER/
  • Drex124/Drex125/#11
  • El_Beardo/El_Beardo_Grande/#52
  • Harsk100/HarskGaming96/#1

Entry Form:
  • GTP Name: ILLEAGLE_34
  • PSN Name: ILLEAGLE_34
  • Race Number: 34
Questions, Suggestions, Queries? Reply below.

Hey Max, this looks like a fun format, thanks for working so hard on finding a nice rallycross circuit and format in this game =) 22h GMT is really late for me at the moment with work the next day (23h CET start here) but it seems the lobby won't run thaat long, so sign me up:

R_Goldstreiff
psn: robbybass
#: 4
Livery: I know its a very well known Stratos livery, but it's just such a beauty, so I'll run the 1973 Targa Florio Marlboro works car livery (created by krejik74):
5477020436548027408_23.jpg

Hey Max, I've got two questions regarding the car and race format: 1) Is the gearbox setting you posted a suggestion or a must? 2) Will the grip reduction be set to real or to weak? Especially the latter I think might have a big effect on how the race and the transition from the gravel to the asphalt parts feels.

Hey Max, I've got two questions regarding the car and race format: 1) Is the gearbox setting you posted a suggestion or a must? 2) Will the grip reduction be set to real or to weak? Especially the latter I think might have a big effect on how the race and the transition from the gravel to the asphalt parts feels.
Hey man, I can answer both of those -

The gearbox settings are fixed. It's a close approximation of the actual Stratos race box in tarmac trim - GTS wouldn't allow for any of the other real box ratios I found.

As for grip reduction, this will be on REAL, so tame that back end because she will readily spin on the green stuff.

Yeah. That dirt chicane can be tough. It’s very slow, and the car will initially have a push on the front end. You’ll want to squeeze the throttle, but don’t. Let the car rotate as you’ll just end up looping the car around.

The green astro-turf section will be where the time is lost or gained. On entry will you push the car and maybe have the rear start to go around, or will you take it easy on entry and be slower, but more stable?

Is there any practice organised for this week??
Errrm, yes, well reminded. I will aim to have some lobbies up this week - my work schedule isn't totally solid but I would say Wednesday is best bet for a long session. I'll keep the thread posted on when I plan to open them.

If anyone wants to host an open practice, all the required settings should be in post 1.

I’ll get a maybe more North American time friendly lobby opened tonight or later this week if anyone wants to. Thinking 8-10 pm ET (or so).

Been trying to figure a quicker way to drag some barriers past the locked barrier chicane to have a mini jump as the Stratos will launch off the barrier at even the lowest of speed when the barriers are knocked over. But maybe still too inconsistent to really race with.

All one needs to do is start a lobby in Free Run to practice. Make it private to keep the riff raff out, and you realistically need to move about 2 barriers from each end to sneak through.

Back