Trans Am

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 41 comments
Well obviously. I still prefer it over the Camaro. Then again I've always liked the Trans Am/Firebird over the Camaro.

Glad someone took that idea. GM were planning on making that Trans - AM before Pontiac went out of business.

Pontiac was also to bring over the Ute from Oz a year after GM folded the company. I was so looking forward to it. :(

Also I believe Pontiac had no intentions of bringing back the Trans Am. Before the brand was axed they were trying to make their cars look different from Chevy, Cadi, Saturn, etc. The reason why they were axed in my eyes.

I don't think that the Camaro styling works well as a Trans Am, it looks even fatter than before.

It is a real shame becasue I am a big Trans Am fan and I believe that it looks rather tragic. You can't base such a thing on a Camaro!

IT'S A TRAGEDY!!!!!!

Trans AM has always been based on a Camaro.
Further more 75% of Pontiac vehicles were based off Chevy's. Grand Am = Malibu, G5 = Cobalt, Sunfire = Caviler, etc. A Pontiac original was the Aztec (wait Buick had a SUV related to it). The Vibe would be if it wasn't a rebadged Toyota Voltz.

It is a real shame becasue I am a big Trans Am fan and I believe that it looks rather tragic. You can't base such a thing on a Camaro!

IT'S A TRAGEDY!!!!!!

Are you... Are you kidding me?

Further more 75% of Pontiac vehicles were based off Chevy's. Grand Am = Malibu, G5 = Cobalt, Sunfire = Caviler, etc. A Pontiac original was the Aztec. The Vibe would be if it wasn't a rebadged Toyota Voltz.

GM has been the masters of badge engineering:crazy:

Don't criticize them. Chrysler, Ford, Toyota & others do the exact same thing. For Ford example the Jaguar XK & the Aston Martin DB7 were the same car.

True, but GM takes it to a whole other level. Its partly due to the fact that they simply had too many brands. Ex, whats the difference between a G5 and a Cobalt, apart from naming/badging? Thats just badge engineering being taken literally, thus the mastery of that art:sly:

In the 90's they actually made the cars look totally different. You couldn't tell that the Grand Am & Malibu were the same vehicle until you looked at the Grand Am's owners manual & saw the Malibu in every picture reference. :lol:

In the naughty's (2000-2009) all they did was change the front grill and/or bumper.

Point 1: This has already been done by Year One.

Point 2: from about 1973 on, anything you thought was a lone "insert name here" probably wasn't. Corvette, Mustang, Viper, and some of the trucks are the exceptions. Why so far back? Look up Dodge Challenger Gen 2. Before then, and again since the late 2000's, the big thing was 'Platform sharing', a procedure which gave us Camaro/Firebird, Daytona/Superbird, Torino/Maurader, T-Bird/Cougar, etc. Now we have stuff like GM's Epsilon II platform, which is one chassis under three/four/five at-least-somewhat-different cars. Between these two eras, GM, Chrysler, and Ford didn't even try to hide their rip-offs, alot of which came from overseas, like the Dodge Galant Challenger already mentioned.

American manufacturers are especially bad avout badge engineering. Take GMC. GM kept GMC and got rid of Pontiac, yet GMC doesn't build one car not sold under another nameplate. Other manufacturers do ot, but GM, Ford, and Chrysler are the worst offenders.

GMC was more of an industrial service brand back in the day. Now, idk it might be the next GM brand to be axed.

Anyway, a lot of overseas brands are owned by GM, Ford or Chrysler & further more they do badge engineering just as much... Toyota Scion *cough* Toyota also borrowed the Caviler from Chevy.

Further more 75% of Pontiac vehicles were based off Chevy's. Grand Am = Malibu, G5 = Cobalt, Sunfire = Caviler, etc. A Pontiac original was the Aztec (wait Buick had a SUV related to it). The Vibe would be if it wasn't a rebadged Toyota Voltz.

The Vibe was born from a deal with Toyota where Pontiac got the Vibe and Toyota got the Matrix on a co-developed platform, but also got a rebadged Vibe, the Voltz, for Japan. I believe the Aztek predated the Rendezvous by a year, so you could say it's a Pontiac original. That new Trans Am looks awesome though.

I prefer this 1 of 3 Trans Am I seen at a local car show (it was built here in Indy!)

eeaeafdad5858c0e6c4d98e3e42af871.jpg

eb569b315e44220c704424398d697e30.jpg

The thing I hate most about all of these remakes, though, is that they all look like riced out Camaros.

I see what you mean. Am I the only who thinks the wheel choices are kind of silly? No not kind of, very unnecessary.

Wheels that would look at home on Bigfoot are the big thing, and they are deal-breakers to some ignorant people.

For any street car, the biggest wheels should be 18"s at max, 16-17 the standard...Oh wait, it is for production cars.

Point 1: This has already been done by Year One.

Point 2: from about 1973 on, anything you thought was a lone "insert name here" probably wasn't. Corvette, Mustang, Viper, and some of the trucks are the exceptions. Why so far back? Look up Dodge Challenger Gen 2. Before then, and again since the late 2000's, the big thing was 'Platform sharing', a procedure which gave us Camaro/Firebird, Daytona/Superbird, Torino/Maurader, T-Bird/Cougar, etc. Now we have stuff like GM's Epsilon II platform, which is one chassis under three/four/five at-least-somewhat-different cars. Between these two eras, GM, Chrysler, and Ford didn't even try to hide their rip-offs, alot of which came from overseas, like the Dodge Galant Challenger already mentioned.

The Cougar was based off the Mustang.

Wheels that would look at home on Bigfoot are the big thing, and they are deal-breakers to some ignorant people.

For any street car, the biggest wheels should be 18"s at max, 16-17 the standard...Oh wait, it is for production cars.

Driving wheels like that around here will cause your tires to blow out and you'll have many bent rims.

The Cougar was based off the Mustang.

The Gen. 1 Cougar was, yes. All subsequent ones upto the euro-trashed 4-door was based on the T-bird.

Driving wheels like that around here will cause your tires to blow out and you'll have many bent rims.

Those would be destroyed in less than a mile here. I've seen 15"s torn up from the chasms called pot-holes around here.

The Gen. 1 Cougar was, yes. All subsequent ones upto the euro-trashed 4-door was based on the T-bird.

That's true. Forgot about that.

Those would be destroyed in less than a mile here. I've seen 15"s torn up from the chasms called pot-holes around here.

Agreed. I do a lot of offroading but usually trucks (excluding the new models) run things like this:

sizeimage.php

sizeimage.php

Mostly as a precaution and because it's visually appealing over stock. Cars also have thicker tread and taller sidewalls. Again excluding newer stuff. They don't last really long and when someone buys a car more likely than not it's either sold or traded in between 2-5 years after the original purchase.

Latest Posts

Back