Tyre degradation after qualifying sessionF1 2010-2016 

• Thread starter Mr. S
  • 9 comments

Mr. S

Nikon Fanboy
Premium
France
Paris
So, I've just seen it again and I'm curious if it's normal.

My tyres lost 3% durabilty after the qualifying has been completed, they went from 80% at the end of the qualifying session to 77% just before the race. Doesn't sound like much but well, it's bugging me. Working as intended?

its what I got last night when I was doing quali at valencia.

I wanted to do two runs in Q3. Did an out,hot and inlap straight away on my tyres from Q2, then I waited til 5 mins left then went out on some brand new tyres hoping to beat my time for fresher race tyres.

Unfortunately I got traffic and didnt beat my first time so I started race on the 77% tyres from Q2 lol

I don't see the connection between you using up your tyres and me having degrade my tyres to 77% when I never went out again after they had gone down to 80% during Q3.

I've had it a few times, I will run 1 lap in Q3 and the tyres are around 94%, then you get to the race and they are down to something like 86-89%. Somebody been driving my car in parc ferme?

Parc Ferme was my thought as well. I'd say it's the tyre pressure but...uh...no, I don't think that that'd hurt tyres that much. Or that CM would've taken that into account if it did. :P

There are no laps in between the end of the last qualifying session and the arrival in the pits before the race is starting. :)

Are you doing 100% race distance? I believe in practice and qualifying the tires wear in real time. If you wear a set of new tires to 90% in qualifying after 3 laps, after 3 laps in a 50% race distance a set of new tires would be worn to 80%. Perhaps they are adjusting for this.

Yeah, 100% - but why isn't it showing 77% at the end of the qualifying then? Still weird since I'm not talking about something during the race but the information that's shown BEFORE the race has even started.

I don't see the connection between you using up your tyres and me having degrade my tyres to 77% when I never went out again after they had gone down to 80% during Q3.

hmm.... fair point. I was pretty tyred when I read your post and replied lol, my information was not that useful!

as a proper answer to your question, theres only one answer really; no! If you saw it at 80% and then it was 77% without any further driving then clearly that doesn't add up.

Either codies do throw 3% tyre wear on for a 'formation lap' that we dont ever see or get told about OR............its just another little glitch lol

Back