Unpopular Opinions- Cars in General

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 1,716 comments
[cries in 454 SS]

Edit: How about a Syclone?

1991-GMC-Syclone-main.jpg

Turbocharged V6 sending power to all four wheels, in a package oriented toward street performance.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I recognize that it was presented as an unpopular opinion and I don't necessarily disagree with it but I thought I'd offer possible exceptions that may not have been considered.

I'll agree with Liquid. They're utility vehicles. Equipment. I've had trucks since I could drive and I'll never be without without one, but they're working machines. Reducing utility to make one faster in a straight line doesn't really make them cool. I'll accept interesting. Another unpopular truck opinion? Trucks like the Raptor and the TRX have completely lost the plot and are idiotic.

Unpopular opinions? I'm full of 'em!

[cries in 454 SS]

Turbocharged V6 sending power to all four wheels, in a package oriented toward street performance.
Quicker to 60mph and faster through the quarter-mile than a Ferrari 348. It'll out-brake it too. It's not a truck, it's a sports car with a bed.

Quicker to 60mph and faster through the quarter-mile than a Ferrari 348. It'll out-brake it too. It's not a truck, it's a sports car with a bed.
Alas it was auto only. But they actually also handle surprisingly well. Maybe not as well as the 348, but let's not be silly.

[cries in 454 SS]

It's an amazing machine.
Interesting? Can be.
Impressive? Sometimes.
Good looking? Occasionally.
Interesting? Sure.
Impressive? Definitely.
Good looking? Hell yeah.

Uncool

Not sure I'd call it that but I'll give credit to the mini-trucks of this era. They were deceptively light.

Not sure I'd call it that but I'll give credit to the mini-trucks of this era. They were deceptively light.
The Syclone may be an exception here, since it gained about 300lbs over a standard cab V6 2WD Sonoma. Most of that extra weight was about as low as you could get in the chassis, fortunately, and it came with an extra 110hp as advertised, plus the sure-footedness of the AWD.

I'm not super sure those Roush pieces are the right wheels, but they're more likely to be than not. Maybe a slightly chunkier, curvier spoke. Sort of like a Torq-Thrust but absolutely not a Torq-Thrust.
Cragar SS?

Cragar SS?

I think that's going the wrong direction. The spokes aren't curvy enough but it's still a "muscle car wheel" where a Roadster/AIV definitely isn't a muscle car. A tapered spoke isn't the way to go, but the Torq-Thrust has the right sort of spoke depth.

I'm thinking more like a Superlite where the spokes are uniform in width.

The BMW E46 325ti (compact) is actually a brilliant car. Sure, it's a bit ugly, but the engine and chassis are superb, and with the Sport kit and some tasteful mods they can be mildly visually appealing as well.

I don't quite understand why the E46 compact, unlike the sedan/wagon/convertible, got dual headlights and clear taillights. When people say that the car looks a bit "off" overall, it's because of that.

I don't quite understand why the E46 compact, unlike the sedan/wagon/convertible, got dual headlights and clear taillights. When people say that the car looks a bit "off" overall, it's because of that.
I believe that was when Chris Bangle took over.

Exactly this. It's not a terrible looking car but it not having the 'standard' headlights and brakelights to fit in with the rest of the range really holds it back and is a significant mark against it.

I do not mind the design of the new Nissan Z, but it seems like most auto news sites/blogs were stating how much they prefer the front bumper of the one at the Tokyo Auto Salon this year. Might just be me, but I don't see much of an "improvement" over the factory bumper. Although, it could be due to them not showing the new Z with a front plate.
nissan-fairlady-z-customized-proto.jpg

Then again, I suppose the darker colors kind of help the new Z's grill look less...."out there."
Nissan-Z-First-Look-2.jpg

2023-nissan-z.jpg

It very loosely resembles an S30 without a front bumper. As a former 280Z owner I appreciate the gesture, but to me this thing is lipstick on a pig compared to the original.

Based on the cult of personality Australian cars have for even the most skinflint 6 cylinder models, I'd say something like that is in fact particularly uncool.

Last edited:
Every pickup truck older than 1990 is cooler than that Maloo to me. I love old utilitarian machines of all kinds, beyond just cars and trucks. Everything's got to put on some age to ripen into being cool, though.

Here's a dumb one, but imagine an alternate universe where Cadillac used the XLR in it's 2000s GT racing program.

So instead of getting the Cadillac CTS-V.R Sedan and Coupe race cars, you'd get an XLR-V.R racing car with the long nosed coupe proportions, and presumably the same black or silver factory livery with coloured blocks from the logo as the sedan.

Tried looking it up after thinking on the topic and apparently someone out there had the same idea:

1643762060726.png

But yeah, pretty much just a Cadillac C6.R. I think it would have been pretty neat-o.

Back