Unrestricted Top Speeds

• Thread starter superfast
  • 57 comments
As we all know, many modern cars (ie Mercedes, STi, etc.) have electronically limited top speeds. Looking over the internet, all I find is the restricted top speed. What I would like to find is the top speed without the restriction. Is there some sort of website or database which contains this information?

Thanks for your help.

The M5's de-restricted top speed is 205mph.

I don't know any site that lists de-restricted speeds.

*McLaren*
I'd really like to find out the SL65 AMG's.
I'm sure Top Gear or Car magazine drove an SL65 to Germany to get the 155mph limit removed. On the Autobahn on the way back, they found out that it had another limiter at 186mph!

Not really, I don't think they have the same cD. They wouldn't be very different but I'd expect the M6 to be 206 maybe 207 depending on it's cD, unless ofcourse it's shape is missleading and it produces a higher cD.

I saw on the Speed test drive of the BMW M cars, they got the M6 to 195MPH on the autobahn. (It was the Europan version, they mentioned that it was un-restricted, unlike it's US counterpart)

TS
I saw on the Speed test drive of the BMW M cars, they got the M6 to 195MPH on the autobahn. (It was the Europan version, they mentioned that it was un-restricted, unlike it's US counterpart)
The European versions are restricted as well. They may have removed the speed governor, but all BMWs, Mercs and Audis have the same 155 mph speed limiter (other than the SLR McLaren).

daan
I'm sure Top Gear or Car magazine drove an SL65 to Germany to get the 155mph limit removed. On the Autobahn on the way back, they found out that it had another limiter at 186mph!
The SL's have three speed limiters. One is at 155 (as evidenced by the average Joe, on the Autobahn). The next is at 186 (as evidenced by Top Gear and Motor Trend), and the final one is at 203 (as evidenced by Automobile Magazine).

Hmm, so if the final limiter is at 203Mph, perhaps the SL65 AMG could be on par with the SLR's?
I'm surprised Mercedes have not revived the SL73 AMG.

The SL would be faster than the SLR. It has more torque (SL65) and a lower .cd. However, it also has more lift I've heard, which is one of the 2 reasons Mercedes made the un-shutoffable limiter at 203.

I doubt there is a database, as most of the secrets are usually shared word of mouth, and occasionally on some of the websites themselves. I rarely see the unresticted numbers posted in magazines, maybe the Mercedes-Benz S600 and M5 included there. The M5 should obviously can run up to 200-ish MPH, and word has been that the S600 could easily touch 180 with better tires and the limiter removed.

Well as long as we're mixing and matching engines, I'd like to see a Jeep Commander with the engine from a Bugatti Veyron.

They'd probably act more as a launch platform, and hurl the car into the air when they explode at 255mph.

The same thing would happen to the SL55, 600 and 65 if the car didn't take off (CLR style) at above 210. That would be something to watch: a 2000 kg convertible flying through the air followed by flaming bits of tire.

speed_demon
most cars are limited so that they dont burn themselves out or over rev the enginges

I think you've got a top-speed limiter and a rev limiter confused friend.

live4speed
They'd probably act more as a launch platform, and hurl the car into the air when they explode at 255mph.

I would think that they engineered the tires with blowouts in mind.

live4speed

:lol: Classic.

live4speed
No, it literally is the same 7.3 AMG V12 that Pagani buys of AMG.

Heres the car.
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=1145

And by the way, Jeep and Bugatti are practically the same brand, so I don't see how Jeep couldn't buy the Bugatti engine off VAG. Think about it: Jeep is owned by Chrysler, which is in a partnership with Mercedes, the owner of McLaren, formerly of BMW, which owns Rolls-Royce, formerly allied with Bentley, presently owned by Volkswagen, who owns Bugatti. So why the hell can't the Commander have the Veyron's engine!?

Exactly. :D

M5Power
:lol: Classic.

And by the way, Jeep and Bugatti are practically the same brand, so I don't see how Jeep couldn't buy the Bugatti engine off VAG. Think about it: Jeep is owned by Chrysler, which is in a partnership with Mercedes, the owner of McLaren, formerly of BMW, which owns Rolls-Royce, formerly allied with Bentley, presently owned by Volkswagen, who owns Bugatti. So why the hell can't the Commander have the Veyron's engine!?

Exactly. :D

The Commander would probably double in size or lose half the stuff behind the driver/passenger seat. :P

BTW, BMW never owned McLaren if that's what you mean by formerly. Gordon M. and his crew had the McLarenCarsLimited (now McLarenAutomotive) company independent from '93 to '98. BMW's S70/2 engine developed for McLaren was their only relations to the Baravian company. Surprisingly, they originally wanted Honda to build it.

*McLaren*
The Commander would probably double in size or lose half the stuff behind the driver/passenger seat. :P

BTW, BMW never owned McLaren if that's what you mean by formerly. Gordon M. and his crew had the McLarenCarsLimited (now McLarenAutomotive) company independent from '93 to '98. BMW's S70/2 engine developed for McLaren was their only relations to the Baravian company. Surprisingly, they originally wanted Honda to build it.[/FONT]

Fine, how's this.

Jeep is owned by Chrysler which had a brief partnership with Maserati (Chrysler TC), presently owned by Fiat, which is partially owned by General Motors, which has been a partner of Toyota's for some time (Pontiac Vibe), which is presently a partner of Citroen (Toyota Aygo), which owns Nissan, which had a brief partnership with Ford (Nissan Quest), which has a partnership with Volkswagen (Ford Galaxy), which owns Bugatti.

Better now? :P

Back