Unrestricted Top Speeds

• Thread starter superfast
  • 57 comments
Okay:

Jeep is owned by Chrysler which was a partner of Maserati which is owned by Fiat, which is partially owned by General Motors, which is a partner of Honda, which is a former partner of Rover, formerly owned by BMW, which also owned Land Rover, now owned by Ford, a partner of Volkswagen, which owns Bugatti.

I think that one's bulletproof.

Toronado
GM no longer owns any part of FIAT.

Well that's just a verb tense issue - to my knowledge the statement still stands:

Jeep is owned by Chrysler which was a partner of Maserati which is owned by Fiat, which was partially owned by General Motors, which is a partner of Honda, which is a former partner of Rover, formerly owned by BMW, which also owned Land Rover, now owned by Ford, a partner of Volkswagen, which owns Bugatti.

It follows logically from the previous page. :) What GTP thread has ever stayed on-topic for more than a page and a half?

M5Power
Well that's just a verb tense issue - to my knowledge the statement still stands:

Jeep is owned by Chrysler which was a partner of Maserati which is owned by Fiat, which was partially owned by General Motors, which is a partner of Honda, which is a former partner of Rover, formerly owned by BMW, which also owned Land Rover, now owned by Ford, a partner of Volkswagen, which owns Bugatti.

Ha! It's six degrees of Daimler-Chrysler! We need a new web site: oracleofdcx.org :lol:

harrytuttle
Ha! It's six degrees of Daimler-Chrysler! We need a new web site: oracleofdcx.org :lol:
:D I used to do it as a bit of a party trick, except in our late-night AIM chat sessions. There really are just a few key cars that link everything: the Maserati TC links Chrysler to the rest of the automotive world through Maserati's connection to General Motors. The Mercury Villager and Nissan Quest's brief twinning links Nissan and Renault to Ford. And Ford's ownership of Land Rover links them to BMW, which also owned the brand. You can link Honda to General Motors if you know about their brief (and continuing) history, and Honda can be linked to Rover and then back to BMW, and hence to Ford. And the Volkswagen Sharan and Ford Galaxy provide the missing link between the rest of the car world and Volkswagen-Audi. I think I can link any mass-market automaker to any other one using these idiotic alliances (some of which produced one or two models).

The difference is power. You go from an insane amount of power to an insane amount of power. MB should work on getting the weight down. The Sl is a bit tank-like. Besides, if I am not mistaken, the 6.5 (?) produces more power and torque than the 7.3. Could be those two turbos in the MB. The 7.3 might be able to produce more power if AMG does some work on it

You can calculate the theoretical top speed of any car. You need its power output and its Cd, plus some trick formula, to work out at what speed the wind resistance equals the car's power output. I believe that you can find such a formula on the net if you look hard enough.

Then, you need the car's max RPM, and the "MPH/1000rpm in top gear" figure. Multiply the engine speed in thousands by the MPH/1000rpm figure (i.e. 6750rpm, 28mph/1000rpm = 6.75*28 = 189mph). If this is lower than the drag=power speed above, then the constraining factor is the gearing. Otherwise it's the power output/drag.

It will probably be drag for anything less than about 600 bhp. Certainly, previous-gen M5s and RS6s were known to have severe engine maladies if you ran them at > 165mph for any length of time, indicating that they really don't like to run at full power against the aero wall.

Wouldn't that engine be somewhat the same as what is in the SL65 now? I sure don't see much of a difference. :confused:

Not really.

Back then, the 1995 SL73 AMG sported a 525Bhp 5-speed automatic (hasn't changed) with a 4.7 0-60 with a weight of 4519 lbs. The engine was just a regular V12.

Today, the SL65 AMG sports 612Bhp V12, but with the help of 2 turbos. I'm sure it weighs even more though now.

Pagani didn't really improve upon the old 7.3 engine though since I believe the 7.3 reaches only 555Bhp with a 0-60 only a second quicker. Though, this is better improvement over the 7.0 AMG engine used in the original Pagani models.

You can calculate the theoretical top speed of any car. You need its power output and its Cd, plus some trick formula, to work out at what speed the wind resistance equals the car's power output. I believe that you can find such a formula on the net if you look hard enough.

It will probably be drag for anything less than about 600 bhp.

💡 If you are messing with the car's gearing, then a little physics comes to play.:yuck: (drag would become the limiting factor) Force=Massxacceleration.(F=MA) Work(torque)=ForcexDistance.(W=FD) Power(I assume HP)=Work/Time.(P=W/T) To find theoretical top speed, do some confusing calculations I wouldn't be able to figure out to find out where the force of resistance (friction from wind & moving parts) = the force the car's powerplant is producing.:boggled:

If I am wrong please correct me. If any mathmagicians/physicists want to do this for a car that would be awesome as well.

I've always wondered, the Veyron has a pretty ****ty cD, of .41, what if we put the engine into a C55, which has a cD of .27, how fast would that go?

I've always wondered, the Veyron has a pretty ****ty cD, of .41, what if we put the engine into a C55, which has a cD of .27, how fast would that go?

...The car only has the poor cD when the car is in handeling mode, as I belive that in top-speed mode, the cD goes south of .30, but I'm not completely sure...

...The car only has the poor cD when the car is in handeling mode, as I belive that in top-speed mode, the cD goes south of .30, but I'm not completely sure...
.36, which is still pretty high.

I believe the Pontiac Solstice has a cD well north of .4, which is fricking terrible! No wonder it can't squeeze the extra ~20 mph that the Porsche Boxster can with its 30 fewer horses! That little roadster is as aerodynamic as my mom's Odyssey.

didn't Merc make a concept with a cD of round about .28 or something? It was that fish thing. Didn't look too good or sleek, but it is.

Isn't part of the Veyron's ****ty Cd due to cooling?

If you put it in a smoother body and expect to keep that 0.27 Cd, expect a lot of engine heat... and possibly a meltdown at high speeds.

Isn't part of the Veyron's ****ty Cd due to cooling?

Actually you can thank Ferdinand Piëch and his "vision" of the "ultimate" supercar for that one. Given that he did the wrong thing by first designing and then engineering the car, the looks took first priority in the overall development. Afterwards it was calculated out that all of these gizmos and gadgets were needed to keep her going, and go north of 250 MPH.

Back