User Decals - A Tutorial On How To Make .SVG (Request in separate thread)

• Thread starter daan
  • 1,491 comments
OK guys, I'm clueless here. My first time using inkscape. The text in this image is showing up on gran-turismo.com when I upload it, but in game "quality tools" isn't there. Used convert object to path on the text. What am I doing wrong here?

Attachments

• MAC_QT_3_0.svg
    9.7 KB · Views: 31
OK guys, I'm clueless here. My first time using inkscape. The text in this image is showing up on gran-turismo.com when I upload it, but in game "quality tools" isn't there. Used convert object to path on the text. What am I doing wrong here?
Nothing really wrong, it has more to do with gtsport being a fussy pig.
Opening up your objects list it looked like this.
objects.png

Group 64 contains two groups. Group 62 containing the letters in "tools", and group 42 with the letters for "quality". I ungrouped these then combined all the paths so that "quality tools" is one path. All the flowroot objects are remnants and I deleted those.
I ungrouped all other groups. Your then left with ellipse 18 (white background circle) path 24 (red with "mac" cutout) and path 60 (quality tools).
objects2.png

Grouping the letters of "quality tools" saves on kb as each letter had a defined color and stroke properties. Combining all the letters needs only one definition.
So the problem was either Inkscape or SVGOMG produced enough messy structure to confuse GTSPORT. Fixed svg attached.
Edit: I actually just noticed that the text for "quality tools" had the color and stroke assigned to the group rather than the paths themselves. Best way to do text is... Once converted , immediately ungroup and then combine paths. Or just ungroup if letters are going to be different colors.

Attachments

• MAC_QT_3_0.svg
    8.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
View attachment 846100
Group 64 contains two groups. Group 62 containing the letters in "tools", and group 42 with the letters for "quality". I ungrouped these then combined all the paths so that "quality tools" is one path. All the flowroot objects are remnants and I deleted those.
I ungrouped all other groups. Your then left with ellipse 18 (white background circle) path 24 (red with "mac" cutout) and path 60 (quality tools).
View attachment 846101
Grouping the letters of "quality tools" saves on kb as each letter had a defined color and stroke properties. Combining all the letters needs only one definition.
So the problem was either Inkscape or SVGOMG produced enough messy structure to confuse GTSPORT. Fixed svg attached.
Edit: I actually just noticed that the text for "quality tools" had the color and stroke assigned to the group rather than the paths themselves. Best way to do text is... Once converted , immediately ungroup and then combine paths. Or just ungroup if letters are going to be different colors.

Thank you, sir. I appreciate the lesson and the fix. Now to attempt it myself and see if it actually sank in.

View attachment 846100
View attachment 846101
Nothing more to add, although I went a different way to solve the issue.

If it was your first time using Inkscape, don’t forget to save as « optimized svg » and not « inkscape svg », it helps both to save kB and to make the file more recognizable by the GTSport awkward reader.

When you "trace bitmap" is there a way to keep the image as crisp as possible or is that due to original file quality?

Tried Inkscape (Affinity Designer can't do Envelope / Warp (Aldus Freehand could do that in the 1980's!)) and it doesn't work. After forcing the Mac to open it, it came up with a message asking me to find XQuartz. X wut??? Too geeky for me already.... what on earth is it asking for, and how can I point it in the right direction?? Any help or advice welcomed, as I'd like to give it a go!

Last edited:
I just wanted to chime in here and thank all of you pathfinders for sorting out so many problems and providing the answers to almost every problem. I came in really late to the game but learning to use the livery editor the last couple of weeks and I have spent soooooo much time relying on this thread and the posts you all submit. Admittedly still struggling with colors on Inkscape, but never thought I would be editing path vectors by hand with my evening beers.

This is a youtube for beginners
Does anyone know if it‘s possible to make curved connections between angle points like shown in the video in Illustator? I‘m always quite struggeling to just curve lines starting from angle points.
I hope you get what I mean :lol:

I just wanted to chime in here and thank all of you pathfinders for sorting out so many problems and providing the answers to almost every problem. I came in really late to the game but learning to use the livery editor the last couple of weeks and I have spent soooooo much time relying on this thread and the posts you all submit. Admittedly still struggling with colors on Inkscape, but never thought I would be editing path vectors by hand with my evening beers.
Im a pretty savvy computer guy. Even owned a computer business. I never figured out how to make decals small enough to upload. Gave up. Needs to be an easier process. Thanks to everyone who did because I use everyone elses.

Im a pretty savvy computer guy. Even owned a computer business. I never figured out how to make decals small enough to upload. Gave up. Needs to be an easier process. Thanks to everyone who did because I use everyone elses.
I just got annoyed with that as I wanted my own absurd designs and wanted to do more with the game on weeks when I really didn't like some of the races. There are great tips on here and also friends from other GT Planet threads helping sort me out. I am not great but now know enough to pretty much get most of what I want or need. Just takes time. And beer, plenty of beer.:cheers:
For me at least.:gtpflag:

If you are using a MAC you have to have that (XQuartz) installed first before you can install Inkscape. If you go to Inkscape.org they have all the information on how to install on a MAC. I use to use Inkscape on the MAC & had no real problems. Except I was just learning how to use Inkscape. Mt suggestion to you is after you get everything install. Go you YouTube and GTSport Livery Editor and go through the beginners sections on how to create decals. It very helpful. Good luck

garystevens64

Hi,

my wife decided we should buy a Mac cause it looks better. As always, she's right, great to look at it. As someone who has always worked with PC I have unfortunately no idea how to use this expensive crap. I hate it. When I touch it, I will immediately throw it out of my house, but this is not covered by my insurance.

Before I risk my mental health dealing with this machine, do you know a way how to create SVGs with Android? (Or maybe, maybe on iOS)

Thank you!

I have found it quite some time ago and works brilliantly easy.

Unfortunately it makes a solid background in white.

View attachment 882643

Is there maybe a workaround to avoid this?
You can delete the first path directly in the text file of the SVG. It will usually be a very simple path with « fill=#fff » on it. (Or just open the file in any SVG editor and simply delete the white shape).

You can delete the first path directly in the text file of the SVG. It will usually be a very simple path with « fill=#fff » on it. (Or just open the file in any SVG editor and simply delete the white shape).

Sounds easy! Sorry for the basic question, how can I see this text file?

Thank you!

I have found it quite some time ago and works brilliantly easy.

Unfortunately it makes a solid background in white.

View attachment 882643

Is there maybe a workaround to avoid this?
I tried dropping to two colors but then it goes weird. So pick 3 colors.
Untitled.png

Then after it is made click the white square for color change and delete it.
Untitle2.png

Delete by clicking the square with the red slash through it.

Edit so after playing with it, I set colors and simplify both to 3. After it generated I deleted the white. Downloaded it. Loading it straight into GTSPORT gave me just a spinning circle in the livery editor. After running it through SVGOMG and reloading to GTSPORT it came good in the game. It's not great but usable. I'll leave it here plus one I hand traced.

Attachments

• image2vector.svg
    8.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Abracar+.svg
    3.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Unfortunately these files are not working in the LE. They loaded up fine, I can see them correct in the community section, but on my PS they seem not to load. There is constantly this loading progress wheel which will not stop to turn... Do you have maybe a solution for this? Is this maybe a problem you already had and which I'm too stupid to find?

Attached the .svg file I created with the online tool.

Attachments

• image2vector (7).svg
    5.8 KB · Views: 18
Unfortunately these files are not working in the LE. They loaded up fine, I can see them correct in the community section, but on my PS they seem not to load. There is constantly this loading progress wheel which will not stop to turn... Do you have maybe a solution for this? Is this maybe a problem you already had and which I'm too stupid to find?

Attached the .svg file I created with the online tool.
I had mentioned that in an edit to my post above. You probably read it before I edited it.
Just run it through SVGOMG seems to fix the spinning circle. Also grab the Abracar + svg in above post as it is a clean traced version with some subtle gradients on the 3 ringed triangle.

I had mentioned that in an edit to my post above. You probably read it before I edited it.
Just run it through SVGOMG seems to fix the spinning circle. Also grab the Abracar + svg in above post as it is a clean traced version with some subtle gradients on the 3 ringed triangle.

Thank you my good sir, my mistake. I had overread that you edited your post. I will give it a shot later and hope not to annoy you again :scared:

Here is another method for a color scan in Inkscape. You will need some basic knowledge of Inkscape to follow. It is a decal for @ScruffyDingo
I downloaded a
2005f2e98448903aa1e84e833b812b0d.w1000.h1000.jpg
The white surround and white inside makes the whole process harder.

Have the picture highlighted and use these
scan.png

As it has 4 colors, I am using 4 scans. Note the default "stack scans' I removed the tick. Drag the scan away from original. Ungroup it.
The 4 layers pulled apart look like this.
pulled apart.png

We can delete the white layer. To make a new section of white create a large white square and push this layer to the bottom, Press the h key once to flip it.
Make a duplicate copy of the black and drag it so it fits inside the white.
white square.png
Combine the two and it should make a mask, probably need to change it back to white.

Now break this path apart. Drag off the very outer part and delete it. Drag select over all the remaining parts and use [path] then [union].
white back.png

Again push it to the bottom and reposition under original scan. Note: Although we could have done similar with the original white layer it has gaps for the black and the thin blue outlines, we want it as a backing for the black only. The white would bleed outside the black slightly using that layer.
The black and red layers are OK as they are. The blue layer has a lot of excess we do not need.

Click in an empty area with no objects. Then click the paint can and select a contrasting color from the pallet.
Go ahead and single click the blue parts we want to keep, I used green here and don't forget the inside parts of letters.
paint can.png

Go back to select tool and highlight all the green parts and combine these paths. You can now drag the green away a little so that you can pick the blue scan layer and delete it. Reposition the green and change it to blue. Select everything and resize to page. Don't forget to delete original picture. Now save the svg.
This went through SVGOMG with a precision of 1. Without any node reduction.
Hope this may help if anyone tries this method.

Last edited:
Hi,

this might be an odd question.
Is it known how big a node is, say in inkscape.

So for instance my current image is at 18kb. then if i/we knew the size of a node then it would just be deleting x more nodes, and i get to 15kb.

Or isn't it that simple.

Back