Video game pet peeves.

When console game makes you navigate menus by moving cursor with analog stick like a mouse.

Why.
Most of the time. The game is designed with a keyboard and mouse in mind and can't be bothered changing it when a console port comes along where a controller makes it incovient.

The best of both worlds would be a circle menu system which follows either the direction of your stuck or where your mouse curser is at

Last edited:
Iterative full priced updates. See most series sports games for examples. I won't even play Fifa until April each year when it's free or £13. If it was £4/5 a month to play maybe I'd be more keen, they get the same money for a full price game and I'd be more likely to subscribe if they did a good job.

Big games which pad out with fetch quests and stuff. Just make the game smaller, then you won't need to hire and then fire people so regularly. Keep a team and their expertise. And don't make us mess around on a horse for 5 minutes just to get from A to B. Yes it's great scenery but that scenery isn't worth my money if I'm just riding/driving/walking past it.

Any game where you can pay for better (more effective gameplay wise) stuff.

Console exclusives. I'm not buying a second console to play more games as I'm a casual gamer.

That's it I think

When console game makes you navigate menus by moving cursor with analog stick like a mouse.

Why.
This is one of my biggest pet peeves too, I assume it's down to wanting to save time and/or budget but it's a really bad user experience. I can sort of understand it occurring on PC to console ports, but games that are launched on PC and console together really have no excuse IMO.

Last edited:
Being unable to view your current controls in-game.
This is something that has been bothering me with some PC games recently. Both Test Drive 5 and Re-Volt on PC have it where when you go to the controls section, you can't even view your current controls, it just asks you to remap them instead of just telling you what they already are. Okay, having the ability to remap controls is great, but this annoys me so much because I like to avoid changing my controls unless I absolutely have to, and in Re-Volt's case, you can't easily get out of that menu without unintentionally changing some controls. Being unable to see what they already are is a huge inconvenience for me and a pretty dumb oversight on the dev's part. Including a menu allowing people to see them can't be that hard to do.

Being unable to view your current controls in-game.
This is something that has been bothering me with some PC games recently. Both Test Drive 5 and Re-Volt on PC have it where when you go to the controls section, you can't even view your current controls, it just asks you to remap them instead of just telling you what they already are. Okay, having the ability to remap controls is great, but this annoys me so much because I like to avoid changing my controls unless I absolutely have to, and in Re-Volt's case, you can't easily get out of that menu without unintentionally changing some controls. Being unable to see what they already are is a huge inconvenience for me and a pretty dumb oversight on the dev's part. Including a menu allowing people to see them can't be that hard to do.
So what happens after you've re-mapped them, does the re-mapped key not appear in the list? This seems like a hilariously bad way to implement things!

So what happens after you've re-mapped them, does the re-mapped key not appear in the list? This seems like a hilariously bad way to implement things!
With Re-Volt you can't even see the list apart from when you are configuring the controls, but the key will show up after you press it. Once you exit that menu though, you pretty much can't even view what you set afterward. I recently configured my controls for Re-Volt and it took me a lot longer than it should simply because of this. Even worse, our internet was down for a while, so I could not look up the default controls and I didn't have the manual either. If it just had a menu to let me view my current controls, it would have saved me so much time!

Edit: I looked at Test Drive 5 again and it's literally like you described here. When you go to the controls, it does what Re-Volt does and doesn't show you what they already are, instead it just asks you to set yours. What makes it even worse than Re-Volt is when you enter your controls, it doesn't even show what you entered on screen as you do it! :grumpy: You have no way of knowing what you even have in this game unless you just fiddle with all the keys on your keyboard until you find it because it tells you absolutely nothing about it! :banghead: I don't expect much from Pitbull Syndicate, but this is ridiculous. 👎

Last edited:
With Re-Volt you can't even see the list apart from when you are configuring the controls, but the key will show up after you press it. Once you exit that menu though, you pretty much can't even view what you set afterward. I recently configured my controls for Re-Volt and it took me a lot longer than it should simply because of this. Even worse, our internet was down for a while, so I could not look up the default controls and I didn't have the manual either. If it just had a menu to let me view my current controls, it would have saved me so much time!

Edit: I looked at Test Drive 5 again and it's literally like you described here. When you go to the controls, it does what Re-Volt does and doesn't show you what they already are, instead it just asks you to set yours. What makes it even worse than Re-Volt is when you enter your controls, it doesn't even show what you entered on screen as you do it! :grumpy: You have no way of knowing what you even have in this game unless you just fiddle with all the keys on your keyboard until you find it because it tells you absolutely nothing about it! :banghead: I don't expect much from Pitbull Syndicate, but this is ridiculous. 👎
This sounds terrible, the re-binding function itself is by far the hardest part of this to implement. If there is a key re-binding section then the only reasons not to implement a screen that shows the currently assigned controls are lack of time or sheer incompetence.

This sounds terrible
Believe me, it IS terrible, especially with Test Drive 5.
If there is a key re-binding section then the only reasons not to implement a screen that shows the currently assigned controls are lack of time or sheer incompetence.
I have a strong feeling it's the latter.

If you need a more vivid idea of how it works, well here is a timestamped video showing how it is for Test Drive 5:

(couldn't find one for Re-Volt)

Back