Voting in Elections. Should it be Mandatory, Optional, Restricted, or none at all?

• Thread starter Com Fox
  • 38 comments

How should Voting be handled in terms of attendance.

• Mandatory, everyone should Vote on Elections

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Optional, people can vote if they want to

Votes: 28 80.0%
  • Restricted, only certain people can vote

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • No one should vote at all

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I voted for optional, but if you think about it, it should be mandatory.
Didn't work. Thinking about it makes the notion of a mandate more absurd. How is compliance enforced? What is the penalty for failure or refusal to comply?

Didn't work. Thinking about it makes the notion of a mandate more absurd. How is compliance enforced? What is the penalty for failure or refusal to comply?
In Australia you're automatically enrolled to vote at the age of 18 and then threatened with fines for not voting. Don't pay the fines and it escalates from there, up to jailtime for failure to pay the fines... or you have to lie and say you were sick or some other excuse, unless you have a legitimate reason. It's a stupid system.

There's a full run down of how it works here.

In Australia you're automatically enrolled to vote at the age of 18 and then threatened with fines for not voting. Don't pay the fines and it escalates from there, up to jailtime for failure to pay the fines... or you have to lie and say you were sick or some other excuse, unless you have a legitimate reason. It's a stupid system.

There's a full run down of how it works here.
That's asinine. A bitch that tries to punish me for not participating in an election is getting shot.

Last edited:
They will enforce the payment of the fine though... or you just lie and use an excuse.
One shouldn't have to lie to avoid the state taking their property because they didn't comply with a bad law. Enforcement of the law violates individual rights. Use of force to defend against property rights violations is just, even when it's unlawful. Laws should preserve rights or provide remedy for rights violations in a manner that doesn't violate rights. Laws that preserve no rights and provide no remedy at the same time that they violate rights are bad laws. Good people break bad laws.

Last edited:
One shouldn't have to lie to avoid the state taking their property because they didn't comply with a bad law. Enforcement of the law violates individual rights. Use of force to defend against property rights violations is just, even when it's unlawful. Laws should preserve rights or provide remedy for rights violations in a manner that doesn't violate rights. Laws that preserve no rights and provide no remedy at the same time that they violate rights are bad laws. Good people break bad laws.
I'm just giving you an example of how it works here as you asked @CTznOfTime how it would work. I'm certainly not agreeing with how it works here. I think it sucks.

Back