*Wants to pursue a drift career*

• Thread starter SupraFly
  • 32 comments

SupraFly

(Banned)
I odnt know how to really go about this. This weekend my s14 will hopefully be sold and my 86 already is yesterday. Im buying a lancer, and am hopefully going to be in US drift competitions and such. But i dont really know how to get started. Who does? Im serious about this, and have put months of though into it. It might not be exactly the career to pursue for the money, but i dont care. Eventually my goal will be to move to Japan and race D1GP, of course ill keep whoever want to know posted on my success or loss. But this may mean i have to take a break from gtp, i hope not. Dont anyone even try to talk me out of this, but if anyone knows what i have to do, tell me now it owuld be great.

-Vash, Trance God, Aspiring Drifter.

Why did you sell your s14 and your ae86 to buy a Lancer if you planned on competing in drift events?

If you really are interested, enter local events and get some practice in. They'll probably have a Drivers Search again next time they have a D1GP in the US, so you'll need to show up for that. If you're good enough, you'll make it through to the actual D1 comp. If you make it that far, sponsors will probably come to you and you should be set from there.

I can't help you with moving to Japan though. You'd be better off staying here and doing demos. I'm sure you could make tons of cash doing demos in the US if you were a D1 qualified driver.

-Mark

The s14 is better? Ok, i guess ill keep it. I odnt knwo of any local drift events around here, but ill look into it.

-Vash

You'd definitely be better off with the S14. Get an lsd, coilovers, and maybe some z32 brakes and you should be good to start.

Where do you live?

-Mark

Go to a big assed empty parking lot with some friends and make your own local event. Buy the 'Drift Bible' video from BM as well.

Also, do you guys think I could enter the driver search with my kart? When I had the hard compound tires on I could get some awesome drifts going.

Hey SupraFly, hear you're joining up with Drifting.

I'd recommend finding a church parking lot, or a mall parking lot and going around there practicing your drifts. I would say the ones without too many light posts make for great spots.

Make sure that if you are sliding to fast sideways and heading towards an object, countersteer and floor it. New tires are always cheaper than bodywork.

Learn Japanese first. 👍

Because if you want to move there you're going to have to know at least a tad of the language. ;)

1. Marry the CEO's daughter of a prominent tire company.

2. See step 1.

Good news

I went out today parking lot hunting, even though i missed a day of work... Anyway, a guy is making osme burger place and has the location all blocked off. I talked to him and i have his permission to "put ht lot through its last runs" as he said. He was worried i might crash, so i told him hey, ill call the tow truck myself and get the hell out of here before its even noticed. The only reason hes letting me do this is becuase its getting repaved next week. Im stoked, this will rock. But theres only one thing, what am i going to do about my tires? How llong will half a tire all around last? I want to know so i can get them in before they explode.

-Vash

Get yourself another set of wheels and tires and bring them with you when you go drifting, along with a decent jack. If you've only got half of your tread left in the back, you're only going to get like two hours of drifting out of those, if that.

-Mark

getting to japan shouldnt be too difficult, look up in your local colledges or universities about english transfer programs.....get over there and teach english, my buddy from around here just left to do that, hes already got a sileighty waiting for him in japan that he bought for 4k CDN.. check out
www.kaizousha.com for japanese used tuner cars....if u head over there, buy one from whre u live, and ull have a car waiting for u when u get there! just make sure u know ur yen conversions....
anyways, youll have to take a course for a bit, but think about it this way, for a few months of learning how to teach english, you a) get to live in japan and b)have a job there to support yourself.
thats what im planning on doing maybe 3 years after i get outta high school.

anyways.. good luck, ull have more luck learning how to drift in japan than you will here.

How do you intend to go to college when you CAN'T EVEN ****ING SPELL COLLEGE RIGHT?

On topic, good luck with the drift career, Supra.

Originally posted by F.Zamataki
getting to japan shouldnt be too difficult, look up in your local colledges or universities about english transfer programs.....get over there and teach english, my buddy from around here just left to do that, hes already got a sileighty waiting for him in japan that he bought for 4k CDN.. check out
www.kaizousha.com for japanese used tuner cars....if u head over there, buy one from whre u live, and ull have a car waiting for u when u get there! just make sure u know ur yen conversions....
anyways, youll have to take a course for a bit, but think about it this way, for a few months of learning how to teach english, you a) get to live in japan and b)have a job there to support yourself.
thats what im planning on doing maybe 3 years after i get outta high school.

anyways.. good luck, ull have more luck learning how to drift in japan than you will here.

:confused: How are cars so cheap on that site?!!?
http://www.kaizousha.com/details.php?carid=1575

$11,000 for that RX7?! AHHH Im guessing they have ALOT of miles.

I saw a long time ago 4 Fd's fully tuned, $25,000 each, brand new condition i might add.

-Vash
Cant wait for tomorrow.

nah man, all those prices are real!
hard to belive eh?? heheh;)

its costs around $700 to $900 range to import a car from japan, then ud have to add licensing fees and other crap like that...but in the end its worth it cuz ull probly spend less on that than you would if u bought say an s13 here and modded it urself

800 dollars, that is like a tercel here in the states. Ok maybe 4 80's tercels... That has to be a high mile beast with lots of bad things done to it. Way too cheap...

Good luck with the career man. How about drifting with a porsche 944 its light and powerful and has great handling... :D

ahh, it there domestic market, so theres soooooo many of them around...
a FD3S over there is the equivalent of a
94 mustang 5.0L over here.
a S13 over there is the same as a chevy cavalier........thats why there soo cheap..
and BTW it sayes the mileage of the vehicles on the site...

Awesome site F.Zamataki! 👍

I love that red Fairlady with the black Panasports/Watanabes. :drool:

Oh, and goodluck on your drifting career SupraFly.
:)

Latest Posts

Back