Weekly Challenge Discussion Thread

• Thread starter GlockPants
  • 4,448 comments
N0t a lot of fantasy here, Willow was already in last wek of July, and in the same week there was a 356 Special Event too. I remember I had a horrible time clearing that race in my 205, this time I'll try a Mitsubishi week, except for the two races where I can't of course

No tickets, good , very good, very very good.
200w (29).gif

As for the 356 only one thing i can say :
get-out-of-my-face-carolyn-britton.gif

I’d rather have a 6* car ticket to add something new to the collection. Or just a 6* for an invitation chance.
You would need a 4/5-star for that. 6-stars only give 500,000 Cr., 1,000,000 Cr., or a car worth more than 450,000 Cr. at Brand Central (including the invite-only cars that are not possible prizes from the original 39 Cafe Menu Books).

As for the events, the good news is that the 1,145,000 Cr. (1,317,500 Cr. with CRBs) guaranteed with wins is the 12th-highest. The bad is that it is the second week in a row with 2 repeat events (with the last set of Challenges without at least 1 repeat 5 weeks ago), and that Eiger Norwand has made its 5th appearance (though mercifully not the reverse layout).

Last edited:
Not a great week, more Eiger and repeat races, still no idea why PD can't give us some of the others we either rarely get or haven't had. Only really interesting race was WTC 700, but I ended up using the VW GTI Roadster VGT which turned out to be quite overpowered, good chance to use a car I otherwise wouldn't have though.

Cars for this week:
full

Sounds like fun. Here we go...

View attachment 1388611

And, yay, back to credit tickets! Not all that keen on Willow Springs, though.
Four down. One to go.

weekly-challenge-202409w2-r1.jpg

Brands Hatch - BMW M3 '03 - I upgraded the tires to SM, which put the car just over the suggested PP. It drives like a dream here. Drove it to an easy win, including a double move going three-wide into Hawthorn. First ticket obtained.

weekly-challenge-202409w2-r2.jpg

Red Bull Ring - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Final Gr.B Road Car - I threw SS tires on, which again put the car just over the suggested PP. Not sure it needed it. The car was in an entirely different class from the others. Easy win.

weekly-challenge-202409w2-r3.jpg

Eiger Nordwand - Porsche 356 A/1500 GS Carrera '56 - The car was already on SS tires from the last time I drove it. It had some other modifications, too, but I don't remember what they were. As usual with these 356 races, I was easily able to work my way up to P2, but the lead car finished 11 seconds ahead of me. Oh, well. Good enough for the second ticket.

weekly-challenge-202409w2-r4.jpg

Willow Springs - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Final Gr.B Rally Car - Used RM tires for this one. I pitted for tires and fuel on lap 3 to try to tip rubber banding in my favour. Despite one excursion into the dirt, I took the lead at the start of lap 8 as all cars ahead of me were in the pit. Drove out the last couple laps unchallenged, though my tires and fuel were both nearly spent at the end.

I'll my words back about A 356 .
Leave the swapped 356 at the garage which only @AlexWilmot can handle,😂 and took a stock one put SS tyres suspension that keep it stock ,brakes ,air filter , exhaust etc that isn't permanent changes ,touch the LSD a bit at give it a go.
Very pleasant ride at the end with no surprises and with lap times at 1.17-18 was an easy win at normal level.

I'll my words back about A 356 .
Leave the swapped 356 at the garage which only @AlexWilmot can handle,😂 and took a stock one put SS tyres suspension that keep it stock ,brakes ,air filter , exhaust etc that isn't permanent changes ,touch the LSD a bit at give it a go.
Very pleasant ride at the end with no surprises and with lap times at 1.17-18 was an easy win at normal level.
Could try this tune, it’s not 100% complete
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

@MineralBlurb7 any feedback on the tune since you poo emoji this post? Fragile ego can’t handle proper driving techniques? I’d love to ask but your account is private’s so can’t even DM you

Last edited:
I'm done with racing for this week, I've been in a hurry again. Didn't find one of the events to be particularly special and they've all been fairly easy as soon as I had my cars sort of competitive, nevertheless I've enjoyed them all. Highlight maybe was driving the 356 again, I simply love these old gems.
Here's my winning cars :

Brands Hatch
WC_240912_R1.jpg

M3 / upgrades : none / 523 PP

Red Bull Ring
WC_240912_R2.jpg

Lancer IX / upgrades : sports ECU, filter, exhaust / 526 PP

Eiger Nordwand
WC_240912_R3.jpg

356 Speedster / upgrades : SH tires, custom suspension, racing ECU, filter, exhaust, manifold / 460 PP

Big Willow
WC_240912_R4.jpg

205 Turbo / upgrades : none / 657 PP ... RH tires, FM 3 first FM 6 later, no stop

Dragon Trail
WC_240912_R5.jpg

Mustang Gr.4 / upgrades : RM tires, low range compressor / 676 PP ... RM tires, FM 2, one stop after lap 6

Good luck on track everyone ! 🙋‍♂️

Much better this week than last for me.
Willow Springs
I know we ran this race a few months ago so I used the same car from that race. WRX but this time on RH( I was on RM last). Easy win over the Audi by 15 secs. One stop after the 7th and just for fuel. FM 1 all the way.
Willow Springs International Raceway_ Big Willow_ (3) by 2cam16, on Flickr
Dragon Trail again in a car I've used in this race. Lucky this time there was no rain so much easier win. RH all the way and fuel stop after lap 7. Won by around 20 secs.
Dragon Trail - Gardens Reverse_ by 2cam16, on Flickr
I guess I got my 356 figured out, at least for Eiger. Under the suggested PP in my 165hp car. Easy win.
Gran Turismo® 7_20240913154323 by 2cam16, on Flickr
RBR-I thought it would be a tough one. 529pp GC Subie but overkill on RS tires. Seen here overtaking Mikail for 1st. Easy win over him by around 17 secs. I'll revisit with something less lethal.
Red Bull Ring_ (3) by 2cam16, on Flickr
Brands in a car I've modified but never driven. It's over 600pp. Easy win . Again I'll revisit this one with something within or under the PP.
Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit_ by 2cam16, on Flickr

Final race complete.

weekly-challenge-202409w2-rc5.jpg

Dragon Trail - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Final Gr.4 - This took a couple attempts. In the first one, the rain came at the end of lap 3. I pitted for IMs, but there was never enough water on the track to warrant them and they burned out after a couple laps. I pitted back to RMs, but the second pit put me too far back to catch up with the leaders. So... second attempt. This time the rain came and stayed. I pitted on lap 4 for IMs and fuel. The track stayed wet enough to keep the tires good until the end of the race. With the 4WD car, it was easy to get past the rest of the field for the win and the final ticket.

Done and dusted.

RBR-I thought it would be a tough one. 529pp GC Subie but overkill on RS tires. Seen here overtaking Mikail for 1st. Easy win over him by around 17 secs. I'll revisit with something less lethal.
Too be fair, 529pp on Racing Soft tires is overkill in general :lol: I'd love to see that build.

700pp Engine swap with RM tyre is a bit overkill for this race 😅

View attachment 1388793
This swapped Carrera and track combo was so cursed with traction problems that I had to lower engine power and add ballast near the rear to push for extra time. What I would give for some rear downforce... Lapped traffic was also pain.

SE - 356 Carrera Swap - Results.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS ON LAST WEEK'S EVENTS

RACE 5 - WTC900 at Le Mans
After a victory in the CLK-LM with a turbo bolted onto it, I wanted to close the book on this event with one definitive, diesel powered, curb stomp:

R5 - 908 HDi - Action.jpg

My goal was to get a total race time of 34:59. I had been around 2 seconds away on the previous run.

My strategy:

• Racing Medium Tires.
  • 1 Stop Strategy (pit at the end of lap 5)
  • Fuel Map 1 with short shifting the whole way....

R5 - 908 HDi - Results.jpg

I even got a clean race bonus. How? I have no idea. I only know that I will never get another one of those from a WTC900 race again :lol:

RACE 4 - American Sunday Cup 600 at Blue Moon Infield A
A bunch of us went electric. That gave me an excuse to bring an old friend who had helped me defeat the 700pp Clubman Plus nightmare at Fuji. Pikachu came with all mods, but this time he wore Sports Soft tires. We won, easily, but I didn't remember my Pikachu hinting at the big traction problems that we faced in this race.

Pikachu and I will need to head back to the gym.

R4 - Pikuchu - Action.jpg

Notes: I also ran this race with a stock, and then fully modded, Tesla Model S. I had no idea that car was was considered rear engine / rear wheel drive. It handled better than Pikachu despite being on worse tires. Both netted easy victories. Rubilar in 2nd place drove his Dodge Challenger like an absolute hero.

SPECIAL EVENT - Gallardos at Trial Mountain
First, I chose suffering.

600PP Tokyo grind builds on Sports Hard tires tend to be horrible any place that isn't... Tokyo. So, that's what I ran here. Capa showed me the error of my ways several times.

R3 - Galla 600pp TKY - Action.jpg

I came back with a 600pp grip build on Sports Softs and won despite the massive power disadvantage, but Capa decided to run 10 seconds faster just for fun. My reply? A stock Gallardo fresh from the showroom at 613PP on Sports Hard tires.

R3 - Galla Stock - Action.jpg

When I stopped over-driving, my stock Gallardo had around the same pace as my 600pp grip build.

Capa thought it would be hilarious to pull away from my stock Gallardo in the draft. I still won.

With the suffering done, it was time to get to tuning:

evil-laugh-evil-plan.gif

2400lbs (1089kg), 700+hp, AWD, downforce, Racing Soft tires, and every other mod except for the turbos.

SE - Gallardo - Evolved - Action.jpg

The Gallardo became my fastest hyper car slayer road car at Trial Mountain.

I and the Hyper Car Slayer did not stop ripping and tearing until it was done:

SE - Gallardo - Evolved - Beatdown.jpg

Notes: This event and the Gallardo's looseness under braking highlights the worst aspects of GT7's AI behavior.

• brake super deep into corner,
  • coast to the apex at superhuman speeds,
  • realize they must at least pretend to follow physics,
  • brake in the middle of the apex to superhumanly slow speeds
  • accelerate as if they've been gifted 200 extra hp
  • automagically wander into whichever racing line the following human driver is taking

Capa does all this but amplified. Their driving is ultimately terrible, BUT they are a master of occupying as much track space as possible / blocking.

RACE 2 - Japanese Clubman 550 at Laguna Seca
I chose the Honda Civic EG. My brain stopped working, causing me to default to building my Civic for 600PP. Did you know that at 600PP the EG can have 400+hp on Racing Medium tires? :lol:

After a comfortable win, my brain switched back on and I detuned my Civic to 550PP. I still won, but Gallo's NSX Type R was not impressed.

R2 - CivicEG - Results - 550PP.jpg
R2 - CivicEG - 3 WIDE.jpg

RACE 1 - Sunday Cup at Northern Isle Speedway

Ah, the duality of Gran Turismo players...

R1 - FezFFXK - Action.jpg

R1 - Prius - Action.jpg

Club A112 - Action.jpg

Attachments

• R3 - Galla 600pp TKY - Action 2.jpg
    R3 - Galla 600pp TKY - Action 2.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 2
  • R4 - Pikachu - Results.jpg
    R4 - Pikachu - Results.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 2
This week’s races are pretty uninteresting, except the 356 event.

European FR 550pp: In a sea of Teutonic metal, I wanted to be different, so I chose one of my stock 365 GTB4 Daytonas and won with a bit of a margin.

Japanese AWD 600pp: I pulled out my trusty GR Corolla at 632pp and again won easily. RBR is such a boring circuit.

Porsche 356 Special Event: my trusted lightly tuned 356 Speedster provided a fantastic race that I won on the last half lap. This one is my standout of the week.

World Rally Challenge: Big Willow is the most featureless track in the game and absolutely kills the left front tire in no time. I used the Peugeot RCZ Gr.B with the high rpm turbo. One stop at lap 5 for tires and fuel for a 10 second win over the Audi Pikes Peak.

WTC700: I don’t hate the Gardens layout as much as others here, but haven’t had much time on the reverse layout. I pulled out my GT4 spec E92 M3 that I built and got lucky with the rain coming at lap 5. I pitted at lap 4 as the started falling for Intermediates and fuel. I had a little fuel saving to get to the finish as the rain stopped at lap 8. I was 10 seconds down going into the final lap when the AI pitted again for slicks. All I had to do was keep the Inters alive for the last lap, which I did for a 8 second winning margin.

The credit tickets are collected and on to next week.

I only did the first three races today. Hard mode but not caring much about suggested BP.

Race 1: Brands Hatch

I chose the M4 and the grid was almost just Beemers, except for one Mercedes.
Close win, passed the M2 after the last corner.
1000014826.png

Race 2: Red Bull Ring

This one was fun! I used one of the very few VGTs I like, the Suzuki. It's a bit overpowered for this race and the excellent brakes also give it an edge over the competition but it's really nice to drive on this track! Very easy victory, took P1 at lap 2.
1000014827.png

Race3: Eiger

I chose the engine swapped 356 on SM tires for this. Sports suspension, sports brakes, semi racing exhaust and the full customizable ECU with power turned down to 70% to make it a bit easier to handle. ABS off. Rather easy win.
1000014828.png

Not sure if I do the remaining 2 challenges. Those are both races I don't like much tbh.

Back