What can you confirm? GT7 Vs IRL?

• Thread starter Akwaaba
  • 28 comments
United Kingdom
London/Malaysia/Tunisia
Waizon/v8stage1/
Many years ago, I owned a TVR Tuscan ... and I survived a couple of track days.
I can confirm that whoever produced the Tuscan for GT7 never drove it around a track.

Mine was almost standard, it was awesome on the track, whether the wide open spaces of a converted airfield to the tight twisty corners of Cadwell Park. The car in-game is nowhere near as nice to drive.

What can you confirm or dispute based on your real-world experience when compared to the cars in GT7?

Edit: Not just the handling, but the noise it makes as well - in IRL the engine is loud, pops and bangs like crazy

Last edited:
I think one of the biggest issues is that the stock/default setups of the cars are nowhere near what you’d except or use irl, as @danardif1 has posted previously about the R8 evo and adapting a Coach Dave ACC tune over to make the car more close to what you’d expect,

But then again I’m just a shill or a plant despite my criticisms on payout, AI and number of events available.

To me comparing some cars I’ve owned or driven, for example the Ford Focus RS I think there’s a touch too much turn in understeer with the current update, but this might be the setup issue talked about above.

Last edited:
So, for the S2000, the dashboard speedometer has a slow tick rate which this game mimics perfectly, unlike other racing games out there which has an instantaneous speedo reading.
Kind of following on from this, I noticed a lot of older racing cars (917K, XJ13, even the Skyline S.S.) have tachs that have extremely slow tick rates, and yet any other gauges they have such as speedometers or boost pressure gives an instantaneous readout.

Is this accurate to real life? I mean, I presume it must be given GT's attention to detail, but I don't get how the same car can have a slow tach and at the same time a to-the-millisecond speedometer.

M4 is (or at least was as haven't had time to play since 1.19) a nightmare compared to irl, well I have m3 f80 (same car, just coupe or saloon/sedan variation.). Snap oversteer is crazy in the game, even with tcs enabled...

Yes as 450bhp rwd have to handle with some respect, but the car is a razor irl not some almost undriveable mess out the box. Luckily the master praianos tuned the hell out of it to make it manageable.

Last edited:
That the Ford truck sounds and handles nothing like real life. It's a good in game vehicle to start rallying with, but the IRL vehicle has quite a few differences.
I own a 2013 F-150 STX 4X4. It has some of the Raptor's off road capability. It also has the 5.0 Coyote engine but it's the truck variant which is slightly taller and trades high end horsepower for extra low end torque. It runs on alcohol, not gasoline.
My gauges have blue needles, not red. The stock transmission has a hard downshift when under power.
The engine sound is completely drowned out by fans. It doesn't slide around much at all. I run Primewell Valera HT tires, which I think would be Comfort Hard or maybe Medium.
Stock brake balance is 70:30 front:rear and stock 4WD balance is 0:100 front:rear. It lacks full time 4WD, and if run according to manufacturer's instructions, would be run FR in rallycross events.

There’s no comparing the IRL sound of a ‘79 911 SC to the in-game ‘81 turbo. The real thing is WAY louder.

Driving the real deal (even the non-turbo version) is no comparison. The game only gives you an impression of how it may handle. The real car is a hand-FULL at any speed.

I'm pleased with the Evo X in the game to the real life counter part. It's missing some details such as when you accelerate while cornering from low speed, the steering wheel violently wants to snap straight due to the weight transfer, but it doesn't bother me much in the game. Grip levels feel similar and suspension feel through the FFB feels accurate.

Paint on my gunmetal pearl Viper is way off in GT, since GT6 (2013) and still to this day! But what do you expect, American cars take a back seat to Euro cars which take a back seat to Japanese cars.

Kind of following on from this, I noticed a lot of older racing cars (917K, XJ13, even the Skyline S.S.) have tachs that have extremely slow tick rates, and yet any other gauges they have such as speedometers or boost pressure gives an instantaneous readout.

Is this accurate to real life? I mean, I presume it must be given GT's attention to detail, but I don't get how the same car can have a slow tach and at the same time a to-the-millisecond speedometer.
The rev counter itself is instantaneous, the speedo as you can see doesn't increase its numbers fluidly.

Real:
6sagnq.gif

GT7:
6sagtd.gif

FH5:
6sah4y.gif

I get what you mean though, I wish that it was just an instantaneous reading irl. There's probably a reason the technology at the time couldn't do it.

Not having driven a TVR IRL, I recall just a handfull of days ago, on a Drivetribe youtube channel video with Ben Collins (a.k.a The Stig) where he was asked which where, in his opinion, the best and worst cars he took for some laps at the Test Track on all those years of Top Gear and e referred precisely "every previous gen TVR as just wanting to spin every time he turned the wheel"

I could write a lot in this thread but here are a few thoughts about recent cars I have been driving in GT7:

The new Nissan 400Z is unstable in hard braking in the game and I have seen multiple reviewers say the exact same thing irl.

The Honda Civic Type R is super stable and resists understeer very well for a fwd car in game and irl

The Porsche Cayman GT4 feels appropriately agile in game as it does irl. I have driven one on track for a brief session irl and GT7 translates it pretty well to me.

On the negative side, the Camaro zl1 1le is way too edgy in game. I have only driven the regular ZL1 irl but the chassis on the Camaro is surprisingly good. Add in the Multimatic dampers on the 1LE version and that car handles much better irl than in game.

That it's nowhere even close to reality. What it is is a fun yet aggravating video game, nothing more.
I have verified two or three vehicles against real life counterparts, they're way off.
Speaking specifically of the F-150, the gauges pointed upwards until 2012. The engine has a fuller exhaust note. The thing does not roll in corners, it has only three driver assists with 2-3 levels each, the splash screen ins't there, etc.
Going back to the Trans Am there's some of that same stuff on it, too. It has no idea what a computer is and again it doesn't roll around like that.

Last edited:

Bit of a late reply but yes, it's accurate.
These older tachs are chronometric. My first drives with the Alpine A220 and later with the Silhouette Skyline in GT7 both were small streams of mild annoyance with how bugged it looks :lol: I was no idea they were a thing before playing this game.
A quick Google search told me that chronometric tachometers "repeatedly count the revolutions during a fixed interval of time and present the average speed during the last timed interval".
Examples here:

Celica ST205. Haven’t put enough time in in GT7 yet. Visually quite a good representation (fun to see the original stereo), but my first impression is that body roll was modelled closer to real life in GT6 and laptimes in Spa seem a little fast on CS. Will having another go and see how close it gets.

Last edited:
I haven't tracked my 16' Mustang yet(I did my old S197, and it was suprising close to the real thing in GT5/6), so Im not going to prentend I know what its like at the very limit. There is one minor thing that has been bothering me tho. They use the same sounds for the GT and the Shelby GT500 eventhought its 2 different engines. Also if the Racing exhuast = straight pipes, it should turn the volume of your TV up and it should be a lot more carckels and pops.

What can you confirm or dispute based on your real-world experience when compared to the cars in GT7?
I can confirm that the understeer FFB is simulated very similar to what I've experienced in my car.
A few weeks ago on my way home from work it was raining quite a lot and I overshot a corner.
To my surprise I immediately noticed the same feeling in the Wheel as I do in GT7 on the Fanatec DD +.
The loss of tire grip with the Wheel juddering while braking and trying to make the corner in one piece felt exactly the same as it does in GT7.

IRL: I drive behind a single car on a wet or snowy street for 10 seconds and my windscreen is so dirty that I can't see and have to use the washer.

GT7: I drive behind 19 other cars on Lake Louise for 20 laps and my windscreen is still perfectly clean.

All of the American muscle cars in the game have far too much wheelspin. I have either owned or driven most in the game so far sans the early Vettes and OEM Cobra.
i agree. i own a 70 Maverick IRL but the game version isnt near the same of course. mines a 302 vs their 428. i have drove a few of the other muscle cars and they all seem to lack traction vs the stock real life versions. game is to slick . the gear changes in stock form match very well. the stock slop between gears, the clutch in the mustang sounds just like most stock clutches back then. riinds me so close to the sound and feel of a 70F100 truck i drove for 25yrs.

Hi,
I drive my focus RS mk3 really often on tracks.

The main différence between thé Real life and gt7 version (with original settings) IS "exagerate".

In the game the focus RS IS oversteer like she is in drift mode permenantly.

The tires in real life play Big game for this car.

I owned too a Toyota mr2 turbo and a subaru gt2000 but with Big prep so i can't make a compare with gt7, it's really difficult to have same configuration.

The main judge is Time, i would to know if someone Can compare is Time on thé same track in real life vs gt7 with same configuration.

I'm gonna bé hard, but for me gt7 still a game not a simulation (like asseto corsa) so make a compare between real life and game is non sensé.

I play GT since thé first and had all version, i can play with a pad, take pleasure, and thats all i want. If i work my braking point etc.. i go to AC with wheel etc ...

Alfa Giulia Sprint GTV is nice to drive in game but the back axle is too well planted. IRL they have good traction and will understeer under normal provocation in fast cornering but the balance is very easy to adjust with the throttle and steering input, and swap the understeer for oversteer or a classic four wheel drift. Its responses are also immediate and precise.

In game, the understeer is there but the oversteer is harder to provoke. I'd say the reality for the GTV's balance is a bit closer to how the in-game Mk 1 MX-5 feels.

Also, the steering gives much more feel and feedback IRL, as does, obviously, the chassis. Both of these might go without saying, but I mention them because probably help with making the real car's balance more adjustable either mid corner or on the approach. A better wheel (I have a G29) would probably close the gap a little, though last time I tried a Fanatec wheel (not on GT) it felt busier but no more natural. I'd love to give a Logitech Pro a try.

I think they did pretty well with the limitations they have. The cars might not all behave like their IRL counterpart but PD always manage to add a lot of variety to how they feel so each has a unique character, which might not align with the IRL version, but it is there. Thus, I tend to try divorce my real life impressions of cars from my GT ones because they can often be different, and an in game favourite won't always translate into an on-road favourite.

Also, overall the feedback and reaction to driver inputs, are close enough to IRL to practice the basic responses of car control. My countersteering technique IRL became much calmer after I got my first 900 degree wheel (G25) on GT4. It might not accurately tell you how a particular car is going to behave, but it does a good job of capturing the behaviour of cars in general. IMO.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back