What is the MT indicator on the instrument panel for?

• Thread starter zardoz9
  • 7 comments
United States
United States
I'm guessing that MT stands for manual transmission. Sometimes it turns red with either the number 1 or 2, but what is the MT indicator indicating?

The gear it suggests you should be in, and when it flashes its saying you should be changing gear.

It should be treated as a starting guide and nothing more.

Thanks for replying.

That's what I first thought (that's the way GT6 worked) but I can be in 6th gear going 140 mph and sometimes the MT light turns red with the number 2. It doesn't make sense unless it's a bug. Also I can't find a way to turn it off.

Ah, of course (dummy me), that makes sense. In GT6 you could turn it off. Is there anyway to turn it off in Sport?

It has been this way since GT3. A handy beginners tool, or when you’re racing on a new track you’re unfamiliar with. I like having it there just in case, helps me keep my cool in case I begin to push a little too hard. I almost never use the suggested gear though. And the MT - should say Manual Transmission yeah, I bet it says AT for those Autolazies out there.
In the closed beta there was a way of turning it off but I haven’t checked in the final version.

Ah, of course (dummy me), that makes sense. In GT6 you could turn it off. Is there anyway to turn it off in Sport?

Unfortunately not. It's an utterly useless UI element imo. I wish we could choose which UI stuff we want and which not.

Back