What should I have done here?

GrumpyOldMan

Premium
United States
Southern California
dagware
Since I'm relatively new to sim racing, and especially online races, I'd like some feedback here. This just happened in daily race b (Mount Panorama).

NOTE: Yes, I use assists. We can discuss that at another time. :)

I was being followed closely by a driver as we approached Griffin's Bend. I knew the driver behind me would try to pass me on the curve, and from many previous experiences, I knew he wouldn't care what he did to me when he passed me. So I tied to avoid that, and obviously my attempt failed miserably.

I also recognize that I was probably at fault for the contact, since I didn't give him any room, but at that point I was already flustered, so it's not surprising.

How should I have handled this? Let me know what you think.

Frankly I don't know what you were thinking turning into the turn that early, hurting not only your line but the other driver's momentum as well.

Well, going down that straight you were on the outside, but then went to the inside, but then back to the outside. Race craft is you get one move; so if you were on the outside and went to the inside, you need to stay there. As you went inside, he went outside, but then you went back outside. So, IMO, that was your first mistake.

Second, once you're back on teh outside, from there you need to take that outside line all the way through the turn since he was essentially there (on the inside). So, at that point the best you can hope for is brake a little later since you're running that outside line (aka bigger radius) and leave him a car's width on the inside. Hopefully he brakes a little earlier (being the tighter radius) and keeps that inside line. At corner exit, you see what came of it all and take it from there.

But, yea... you went outside, inside, back to outside, then took the turn like normal cutting back to the inside.

**** happens. You're learning. I wouldn't worry about it, learn from it, and carry on.

Frankly I don't know what you were thinking turning into the turn that early, hurting not only your line but the other driver's momentum as well.
Like I said, I was flustered.

Race craft is you get one move; so if you were on the outside and went to the inside, you need to stay there. As you went inside, he went outside, but then you went back outside. So, IMO, that was your first mistake.
That makes sense, thanks. I knew that rule, but I hate this guy, and as I said it flustered me. The really stupid thing is that after moving to the inside, if I'd stayed there, there was less of a chance of him bashing me off the track, which is what I was worried about. Live and learn.

happens. You're learning. I wouldn't worry about it, learn from it, and carry on.
Thanks.

That just looks like any turn 1 anywhere when racing online 🤷‍♂️

You can force him to the outside by starting a little right of center on the track. Granted, you'll have to brake earlier/harder, but that way you can stick to the inside and force him out. You may have still gotten bumped slightly from the 2nd car back, but not as bad. Then most likely the two cars directly behind you would have to squabble it out for position hopefully while you are long gone.

I don't see that you did a single thing wrong though, you have the right to the inside line first since you are ahead of him, he just simply tried to use you as a wall causing you to slow down too much and get bumped from behind. Honestly, I wouldn't change a thing. Instead, I'd just suggest keep practicing since you are new and don't get discouraged. This is how the lobbies are in public and lower sports mode. Keep at it and rise above. The better you get the clean(er) the races will be. This isn't to say that you won't ever see this again as you progress, it 'should' be less often, tighter races 👍

Jerome

Last edited:
You simply should've kept your car on the inside... He would not have past you on the outside there.
Really... Doing "defending on the inside" and then switch to the outside before the corner... I think it's dangerous and not good. It's asking for trouble. Many times you put the other car in a difficult situation, leave him without room, sometimes you will collide and so on. I'm totally against it. You can't have it all. You have to pick a line and stick with it.
Edit: although, I think, most of the blame for your spin is to the blue car that was coming behind.

Last edited:
You simply should've kept your car on the inside... He would've not have past you on the outside there. Sometimes you guys want to make it unnecessarily complicated lol
Really... Doing "defending on the inside" and then switch to the outside before the corner... I think it's stupid. I'm totally against it. You can't have it all.
Edit: although, I think, most of the blame for your spin is to the blue car that was coming behind.
As I said in an earlier post, I agree that I should have stayed inside. As for my defending my position, it's just that the guy behind me is a jerk and will trash me if I let him. He's done it many, many times before.

I agree you should have stayed on the inside to defend. But if you went outside just before the corner, then stay outside and give room for the other car on your right to go through the corner, by keeping outside all along.

But this particular corner is very difficult to handle, it's high speed and has a strange shape, in these situations I usually concede and give the other car the advantage, it's better than crashing. If you are faster, you will pass him later on, if he is faster, he would pass you sooner or later.

Taking into account what you said about him being a 'jerk' and 'trashing you' I'd have just held the racing line and not defended and let him pass up the inside and be ready to cut back underneath him if he overshot the corner. Also you maybe didn't know he had a 2 sec penalty but it's always worth having a glance behind to see if anyway coming up behind you has one. Same advice applies if you were to know this, just stay behind up mountain and when he serves his penalty on back straight you'll be over 2 secs ahead of him. Also switching lines like you did gives off he impression you are wanting to hold your position at any cost, which is like a red rag to a bull especially if they have punted you before. Just don't get involved in any of this kinda stuff, let them beat you if need be cause if you retaliate or provoke them you'll be spending every race potentially being targeted by them and constantly looking in your rear view mirror.

Also switching lines like you did gives off he impression you are wanting to hold your position at any cost, which is like a red rag to a bull especially if they have punted you before.
Even if they hadn't punted you before, it lets them know that you're entirely unpredictable. If they have any intention of passing they're just gonna send it because you demonstrated to them that you're all over the place and the best they can do is try and get past you as quick as possible.
Hold the inside line or back off and tuck in behind. A distant third is take the outside line, and way down the bottom is what actually happened.

To your credit, you know this and accepted it straight up. Good on you, that's a good attitude. :cheers: Stuff like this will happen and is a good opportunity for learning.

If you're on a straight and someone is catching you, pick a line early and hold it. You've made your decision (hopefully a good one), and by giving them time you give them a chance to make a good decision too. Only bad things happen by being unpredictable. If they pass you they pass you, if you're really faster than them you'll do it back to them next lap. If you can't get back past them, you'll be able to learn from following them what they're doing better than you.

You say you knew your opponent wouldn't care what happened to you as he passed, but we don't see any of that. I think it's likely he feels as aggrieved at you for previously cutting him off or moving aggressively as you do at him - and without specific evidence it's impossible to say who is correct. If anyone was even to blame at all - it's not uncommon in lower level racing (or higher level racing for that matter) for everyone to get mad about what was in hindsight a racing incident.

If you legitimately think someone is out to get you or is overly aggressive, the best move is often to just let them go. If they are actually aggressive, they'll probably wreck out at some point. The less you can be on the track near them when that happens, the more likely you are to finish the race ahead of them. You goal is to be ahead of people at the finish, and if that means that you spend 95% of the race behind them before they take themselves out then so be it. Play the percentages.

There also doesn't seem to be anything obviously wrong with his move from the limited information available. You ultimately went outside, and the move was pretty clearly on as he had enough of a run on you for you to bother weaving. He wasn't alongside you before braking (mostly because of the weaving), but there was a good chance he could get there in the braking zone so you had to assume he might be there when you turned in. You braked early and didn't hold the outside line, without contact I'd assume the two of you get through that corner two wide. There's a lot of banking on the corner to make it possible, although it's quite narrow and lag spikes make it pretty risky.

You should be ready in a situation like that for people to make that move. It's hard to tell without their perspective or an outside cam, but I think most people at least think about having a go on you there. It might not technically be the smartest place to try and overtake, but it's reasonably legit.

It's also a corner worth considering whether you want to fight them there. It's tight and with other cars behind you're pretty much guaranteed to get punted even if you just get sideways and scrub a bit of speed. A crash there is going to be major. Letting someone go, following them over the mountain and getting them again down Conrod and into The Chase is probably a smart move, and if you do that every lap you're always going to be in front at the finish line.

If you don't do this already, it's worth sitting down for a few minutes before a race and planning where you do and don't want to pass and fight people for position. Tracks with big straights like Bathurst are good candidates for strategically letting people go - if they want to be ahead through the twisties then whatever, it just means you can draft them on the straights.

P.S. Assists are fine. Whatever you need to keep the car under control consistently is the most important. People get narky about assists, but unless you're pushing to be a top split racer then whatever helps you be as safe and fast as you can is best.

As the saying goes, Safe is Fast. Most of the stuff on that site applies to sim racing as much as RL racing. Lots of great advice from successful real life racers.

If he’s faster than you then just let him pass. You’re slowing down both of you by extending the fight for position since none of you can take optimal lines through the corners. If you’re fighting for podium it might be worth taking defensive lines through the corners, but from 7th place it would be better for both of you to run clean laps because otherwise you have no chance to catch up and you only risk losing even more positions by letting the cars behind you catch up. If the car behind you is faster than you there’s also a chance that they may catch up to the car in front of you and make them slower by forcing them to defend their position.

As for the straight, blocking an overtake is a big no-no. You can pick a line that makes the overtake difficult, but don’t weave to block a car that’s trying to make a pass because that will just end up with you getting punted off the track.

Also switching lines like you did gives off he impression you are wanting to hold your position at any cost, which is like a red rag to a bull especially if they have punted you before.
Excellent point. Thanks!
Just don't get involved in any of this kinda stuff, let them beat you if need be cause if you retaliate or provoke them you'll be spending every race potentially being targeted by them and constantly looking in your rear view mirror.
Yes, I learned that the hard way. Thanks for reminding me.
You say you knew your opponent wouldn't care what happened to you as he passed, but we don't see any of that. I think it's likely he feels as aggrieved at you for previously cutting him off or moving aggressively as you do at him - and without specific evidence it's impossible to say who is correct.
This guy always starts further back, and either ends up in first with a trail of broken cars in his wake, or he crashes out. He's a real tool.
As for the straight, blocking an overtake is a big no-no. You can pick a line that makes the overtake difficult, but don’t weave to block a car that’s trying to make a pass because that will just end up with you getting punted off the track.
I totally understand this. Let me ask you a question - Lately, since I've been driving the Alpha Romeo and others are driving faster cars like the WRX, I've experienced this a handful of times where I'm staying to one side of the track while the faster car comes up behind, then, instead of them going around me, they bump right into me. It doesn't actually do anything other than speed me up a little. Eventually they go around. But it's really annoying. Any idea why people do this?

I totally understand this. Let me ask you a question - Lately, since I've been driving the Alpha Romeo and others are driving faster cars like the WRX, I've experienced this a handful of times where I'm staying to one side of the track while the faster car comes up behind, then, instead of them going around me, they bump right into me. It doesn't actually do anything other than speed me up a little. Eventually they go around. But it's really annoying. Any idea why people do this?
This is called bumpdrafting. It's just a nice thing to do, really. It speeds you up and gives you momentum to break away from the cars behind (or carch up to the cars ahead).

You can work together to gain quite a few tenths a lap if you bump eachother down the straights. Slipstream speeds you up, and when you get behind you bump to give them some speed too. It's much faster than fighting if you know you are slower than the car ahead.

Good stuff here from others already so I won't repeat them. But, I would add some thoughts on you getting 'flustered'.

Tbh, winning with a 10sec gap is rewarding, but the joy fades if there are no competitive battles IMO. So a major part of the thrill of racing is these exact moments and one should be intentional about practicing for these scenarios. This will allow your brain to remain cool during the heat of battle, thus your choices/inputs will be steadier and perhaps more importantly, your pace will remain optimal.

I would run laps focusing on defending and overtaking lines at various corners. Starting with Hell corner, because it leads to a long straight. Make sure you nail the exit and practice both inside and outside lines -- with varying exits -- approaching Griffins. What you are creating here is for your brain to become aware of all the variations that could take place in a battle. This repetition will help to cool the nerves and maintain composure during races.

I've seen many who start out relying solely on races to gain improvements. In my view, this delays growth and often leads to cementing bad habits that can turn into insurmountable anchors over time. Many subtle tricks can be found and crafted through such practices, especially if you know how to exploit certain dynamics of specific cars. GL!

As @Nebuc72 said its a nice thing, its actually one of the biggest compliments you can get during a race. It shows that they are seeing the bigger picture within a race. Relating back to your original post, if you give the impression you are fair and respectful it will be reciprocated, we're not able to chat directly with people in races we're in so how you drive and the signals it gives out is everything.

Last edited:
Since I'm relatively new to sim racing, and especially online races, I'd like some feedback here. This just happened in daily race b (Mount Panorama).

I was being followed closely by a driver as we approached Griffin's Bend. I knew the driver behind me would try to pass me on the curve, and from many previous experiences, I knew he wouldn't care what he did to me when he passed me. So I tied to avoid that, and obviously my attempt failed miserably.

I also recognize that I was probably at fault for the contact, since I didn't give him any room, but at that point I was already flustered, so it's not surprising.

Grumps, it's hard if your in an event full of @#*@ heads. If I have that situation and they are trying to intimidate, it depends. I may move over and lift a bit. However, if it's someone that has done this countless times, game on. I still may lift and slide over, but I'm right back on their tale. I race clean and always give you a break, gather it up, etc. Last lap, if it's for the win or podium, I won't intentionally hit you but no breaks....if it's back in P4 or more, that's different. I don"t want you to do the same to me......

Grumps, it's hard if your in an event full of @#*@ heads. If I have that situation and they are trying to intimidate, it depends. I may move over and lift a bit. However, if it's someone that has done this countless times, game on. I still may lift and slide over, but I'm right back on their tale. I race clean and always give you a break, gather it up, etc. Last lap, if it's for the win or podium, I won't intentionally hit you but no breaks....if it's back in P4 or more, that's different. I don"t want you to do the same to me......
Totally understand, and I'm learning to do just that.

It just occurred to me that in a way, this is like real life. I used to drive sports cars - my last was a twin-turbo Mazda RX7 FD. They of course were all low to the ground. I used to get sooooo ticked when someone tailgated me. Since then, I've driven nothing but SUVs. It's amazing how much lower my blood pressure is now. If someone wants to get by me, I just let them go.

I'm not saying I should just give up during a race. But also, who really cares? It's not like they're directly out for me personally (unless they are), so if I can't race cleanly ahead of them, then just let them go. Like I said, who cares?

I feel better already!

Totally understand, and I'm learning to do just that.

It just occurred to me that in a way, this is like real life. I used to drive sports cars - my last was a twin-turbo Mazda RX7 FD. They of course were all low to the ground. I used to get sooooo ticked when someone tailgated me. Since then, I've driven nothing but SUVs. It's amazing how much lower my blood pressure is now. If someone wants to get by me, I just let them go.

I'm not saying I should just give up during a race. But also, who really cares? It's not like they're directly out for me personally (unless they are), so if I can't race cleanly ahead of them, then just let them go. Like I said, who cares?

I feel better already!
Grumps, I've seen you out on a circuit a time or two. We have guys racing that have mega $$$ investments in their chassis (that's what I call their gaming set-up), or getting endorsement $$$ for their YouTube channel and this is uber serious. I'm an ex-Indycar wrench & pit-crew and this is as close as my wife will ever allow me to get back in the sport, a car (late models) or I will have to divvy up most of my material possessions. Nothing is more serious than reality. All I have for gaming is the box stock dual shock. But, I do have fun !!!! It has taken a while for this OLD dog to learn a few new tricks, but I can usually hold my own now. I used to get soooooo PO'd that I darn near have a coronary. I had to learn to chill the results of the game....There was a really cool study group I was invited into concerning gaming and the emotional influence and spillage into everyday life. That's when I woke up !!!! Have fun out there brother, after all,it is just a game.....

Grumps, I've seen you out on a circuit a time or two. We have guys racing that have mega $$$ investments in their chassis (that's what I call their gaming set-up), or getting endorsement $$$ for their YouTube channel and this is uber serious. I'm an ex-Indycar wrench & pit-crew and this is as close as my wife will ever allow me to get back in the sport, a car (late models) or I will have to divvy up most of my material possessions. Nothing is more serious than reality. All I have for gaming is the box stock dual shock. But, I do have fun !!!! It has taken a while for this OLD dog to learn a few new tricks, but I can usually hold my own now. I used to get soooooo PO'd that I darn near have a coronary. I had to learn to chill the results of the game....There was a really cool study group I was invited into concerning gaming and the emotional influence and spillage into everyday life. That's when I woke up !!!! Have fun out there brother, after all,it is just a game.....
Thanks, that's a great story. It truly is just a game, and since I started this topic, I'm much happier during races. Of course, I'm frustrated with the current race b, but that's only due to my ineptitude.

I don't have one of those expensive rigs, but I started with a Logitech G29 wheel and pedals, so I've never played the game using a controller. When the new Logitech direct drive wheel came out, I got it and the pedals. I have a setup in my home office, and I'm having a blast. Never too old.

Thanks, that's a great story. It truly is just a game, and since I started this topic, I'm much happier during races. Of course, I'm frustrated with the current race b, but that's only due to my ineptitude.

I don't have one of those expensive rigs, but I started with a Logitech G29 wheel and pedals, so I've never played the game using a controller. When the new Logitech direct drive wheel came out, I got it and the pedals. I have a setup in my home office, and I'm having a blast. Never too old.

Nope, never. I still do a bit of competitive karting (wife is out of the country until China let's people in and out again). My problem is my brain thinks I'm 30s - 40's and my bones know I'm definitely 65. I'll look for you out there...have fun

Last edited:

Hey @GrumpyOldMan! How are you feeling after a week of Race B? I think Trial Mountain is even harder than Brands Hatch was for crazy-inappropriate driving. It’s a great test for keeping your cool under pressure. You never quite know if their antics are intentional or accidental, and you learn not to ruin your own race trying to be an enforcer. Leave that to @sturk0167

So I have a couple of observations:
  • You and I have been sim racing for the same amount of time. I started in April and had no prior experience. If you’re anything like me (and I think you are) then you should see a world of difference from when you started. It’s amazing to think of how much I’ve changed. Always remember where you began, and also remember you’re racing against people who’ve been doing this for years. For some of them that’s a significant part of their lives!
  • If you’re qualifying mid-field in your events, like when we raced yesterday, then you’re doing just fine. Starting pole is fun but intimidating, and any start under the top 5 is a great place to learn. The aliens are up front hot-lapping, and the crazies are behind playing bumper cars!
  • I like how conscientious you are. Don’t lose that. I went through a phase trying to get to A rating where I became a bit cutthroat and I quit enjoying myself. I got my A and then was miserable. I was starting and finishing last in every race because I was way above my ability level. Just be good, keep your cool, and learn from tye “better” drivers ahead of you. I’m also learning to stop looking in the rear view mirror so much! The race (and life) is in front of me.
  • I started on a controller but soon switched to a wheel. I had one entry level wheel and hated it so sent it back and got the Fanatec DDPro for GT7. Big difference. Even bigger was when I got the load cell pedals. Steering is steering, but brake and throttle control is where the racing happens. Consider better pedals if you can.
  • As for the assists and things, turn them down and then off when you get better. I have a bunch of posts and a few threads about this. The thread about turning off traction control (maybe it’s called “Convince me to race with TC0” or something?) had a ton of great advice. It also taught me what some of the real advantages are for turning all assists off (except for ABS). In short, keep challenging yourself, but in practice laps and not racing (at first). I turned TC down a bit at a time while running laps. And then started grinding solo races for credits. Eventually I got to TC0 and then started racing. It is a bit of a steep learning curve, but very much worth it. If things start getting easy for you, then turn an assist down. If you find your limit, then stay there a while. In another month you’ll be better and ready to progress.
Ok, I’m off my soap box for now. I’m no expert so I don’t want to sound condescending, but encouraging instead. I just wanted to say “Great job!” Stay positive and try to learn something every time you go out.

Last edited:

Stop watching Verstappen and start watching Hamilton or Alonso or actually any other pro driver for that matter. ;)

Weaving just don't. Crowding just don't. They're illegal in the WMSC's racing etiquette rules for a reason. May be worth a read because 99% of drivers are probably going to expect you to know the basics. You also won't learn anything (except that it doesn't work) and you won’t make any friends.

Learn to submit a corner as well as defend it. You'll live to fight another day or get the chance to follow and learn from someone faster.

As said, leaving space and setting your corner up with that space in mind was the only move

In my opinion, you can decide on one of two things in that situation.
If the other driver is faster than you, you can just stay outside and let him go through on the inside, so you can get on with your race, without having a long battle.
If you don't think they're faster, or you just don't want to give up the position, as soon as you know he's got a good run on you down the straight, before he gets to you, choose your position. Long before you get to the turn, go to the inside and stay there.

I've been doing it all week at Trial Mountain. On the long back straight that leads to the left-hander, when I know someone is going to catch me, I get to the inside before they get alongside me. Now, all they can do is either stay behind you, or enter the turn on your outside. Most people never make passes on the outside, because they always go low. Usually when I make them try it, they screw up, because they don't know how to take the turn on a wide line.

For added fun, you can just get yourself right in the center of the track. If the person behind you is clean, they will usually hang back, because they don't know where to go. :confused:

For added fun, you can just get yourself right in the center of the track. If the person behind you is clean, they will usually hang back, because they don't know where to go. :confused:
Yup, driving right down the middle street s frustrating to people who don’t know their car’s boundaries very well. Unfortunately, it may also encourage them to try to squeeze past. But I tend to got right down the middle into a turn when I’m defending so that the car behind me can’t get a feel for where I’m going. I did this a lot on Race A on the Tokyo Expressway this week with cars that are fast on the straights and slow through the corners. It is kinda fun, actually. I wish I could look in my mirror and see their reactions!

Hey @GrumpyOldMan! How are you feeling after a week of Race B? I think Trial Mountain is even harder than Brands Hatch was for crazy-inappropriate driving. It’s a great test for keeping your cool under pressure. You never quite know if their antics are intentional or accidental, and you learn not to ruin your own race trying to be an enforcer.
I'm enjoying Trial Mountain, which surprised me. I didn't like it last time, but obviously I've learned a few things since then. I haven't really had anyone do anything obviously intentional to me, other than just bad decisions, which we all make. I haven't felt targeted at all.
You and I have been sim racing for the same amount of time. I started in April and had no prior experience. If you’re anything like me (and I think you are) then you should see a world of difference from when you started. It’s amazing to think of how much I’ve changed. Always remember where you began, and also remember you’re racing against people who’ve been doing this for years. For some of them that’s a significant part of their lives!
That's so true - it really is amazing what I've learned so quickly. And yes, a lot of the other drivers have been doing this for years. A good thing to remember, for sure.
If you’re qualifying mid-field in your events, like when we raced yesterday, then you’re doing just fine. Starting pole is fun but intimidating, and any start under the top 5 is a great place to learn. The aliens are up front hot-lapping, and the crazies are behind playing bumper cars!
Yeah, starting back in the pack can be problematic on that first set of turns, if people get crazy. I just had a race where I was starting, maybe 8th?, and we all made it through those first turns with no damage. It felt like a first.
I like how conscientious you are. Don’t lose that. I went through a phase trying to get to A rating where I became a bit cutthroat and I quit enjoying myself. I got my A and then was miserable. I was starting and finishing last in every race because I was way above my ability level. Just be good, keep your cool, and learn from tye “better” drivers ahead of you. I’m also learning to stop looking in the rear view mirror so much! The race (and life) is in front of me.
Thanks - I've cooled down a whole lot since I started this thread. It's so much more enjoyable to just experience what happens, without taking it personally.

Man, it's hard to not look in the rearview mirror all the time. I'd choose a view that doesn't have one, but I need to know what the people behind are trying to do. Still, I have to remind myself that my goal is to catch the people in front of me, not simply keep ahead of the ones behind me.
I started on a controller but soon switched to a wheel. I had one entry level wheel and hated it so sent it back and got the Fanatec DDPro for GT7. Big difference. Even bigger was when I got the load cell pedals. Steering is steering, but brake and throttle control is where the racing happens. Consider better pedals if you can.
I have the new Logitech G Pro pedals that has a load cell brake, and you're right, it's awesome.
As for the assists and things, turn them down and then off when you get better. I have a bunch of posts and a few threads about this. The thread about turning off traction control (maybe it’s called “Convince me to race with TC0” or something?) had a ton of great advice. It also taught me what some of the real advantages are for turning all assists off (except for ABS). In short, keep challenging yourself, but in practice laps and not racing (at first). I turned TC down a bit at a time while running laps. And then started grinding solo races for credits. Eventually I got to TC0 and then started racing. It is a bit of a steep learning curve, but very much worth it. If things start getting easy for you, then turn an assist down. If you find your limit, then stay there a while. In another month you’ll be better and ready to progress.
I'm still on the fence about this. I realize that the assists hold me back, but I'm having no fun at all trying to wean myself off them, so I may just stay this way. My goal is to learn to get consistent laps during the races, and let the rest sort itself out. Of course faster times would be nice and all that, but there'll always be people better than me, so I'm trying to focus on having fun.
Ok, I’m off my soap box for now. I’m no expert so I don’t want to sound condescending, but encouraging instead. I just wanted to say “Great job!” Stay positive and try to learn something every time you go out.
Not condescending at all, and I appreciate it!!
In my opinion, you can decide on one of two things in that situation.
If the other driver is faster than you, you can just stay outside and let him go through on the inside, so you can get on with your race, without having a long battle.
If you don't think they're faster, or you just don't want to give up the position, as soon as you know he's got a good run on you down the straight, before he gets to you, choose your position. Long before you get to the turn, go to the inside and stay there.
Thanks - that's what I've started doing. Since I'm in front, I can choose which side I'd prefer, then just let things happen.
I've been doing it all week at Trial Mountain. On the long back straight that leads to the left-hander, when I know someone is going to catch me, I get to the inside before they get alongside me. Now, all they can do is either stay behind you, or enter the turn on your outside. Most people never make passes on the outside, because they always go low. Usually when I make them try it, they screw up, because they don't know how to take the turn on a wide line.
Absolutely - this is what I'm doing too. Unless I'm an idiot and cut it too close, it seems to work out well.
LOL - I've seen that happen too. I choose to think they're just being conscientious, although I know that's probably unlikely.

Back