Gran Turismo 4 Modding Discussion

@TheAdmiester

1. Is is possible to have an option to mute the wind noise?

2. Is it also possible to be able to mute the noise that on some cars is very loud? For instance, if you get an R32 Skyline GT-R, buy any custom exhaust and then when driving go to the interior view. The noise is very loud, and to me sounds better when lowered. If driving an R34 with with a custom exhaust the interior noise is much lower and the car sounds much better overall, at least to me. If I may ask, what is that noise? Is it the engine?

I asked about these because I noticed an option to lower or mute the transmission whine. An option that I very much like on this mod, and one reason why on Retail GT4 I rarely buy a transmission upgrade because I dislike the whine noise.

Last edited:
@TheAdmiester

1. Is is possible to have an option to mute the wind noise?

2. Is it also possible to be able to mute the noise that on some cars is very loud? For instance, if you get an R32 Skyline GT-R, buy any custom exhaust and then when driving go to the interior view. The noise is very loud, and to me sounds better when lowered. If driving an R34 with with a custom exhaust the interior noise is much lower and the car sounds much better overall, at least to me. If I may ask, what is that noise? Is it the engine?

I asked about these because I noticed an option to lower or mute the transmission whine. An option that I very much like on this mod, and one reason why on Retail GT4 I rarely buy a transmission upgrade because I dislike the whine noise.
Wind is something I won't change as it's a useful indicator of when you're in draft. I do have a PCSX2 cheat that gets rid of it but don't want to fiddle with it as an actual feature.

R32 and R34 have the same exhaust sound when upgraded so any difference would be in the engine side audio. Not something that can be controlled in game.

This one?

No Wind Noise
2034FAA4 00000000
2034FBD4 00000000
2034FCE4 00000000

But speaking of muting sounds, that was why I asked for an option for them. Not anything permanent.

This one?

No Wind Noise
2034FAA4 00000000
2034FBD4 00000000
2034FCE4 00000000

But speaking of muting sounds, that was why I asked for an option for them. Not anything permanent.
https://github.com/TheAdmiester/PCSX2-Cheats/blob/main/GT4O_US/SCUS-97436_32A1C752_DisableWind.pnach - this should be the one you're looking for, assuming it's for Spec II/Online Beta iso.

@TheAdmiester - sorry if this has been asked previously, is there a way to hit the Garage button while on a race series screen and have it show which cars fit the criteria in your garage for that specific series? I've become reliant on that feature after playing GT7. Just curious, and no big deal if it's a bear of a task.

https://github.com/TheAdmiester/PCSX2-Cheats/blob/main/GT4O_US/SCUS-97436_32A1C752_DisableWind.pnach - this should be the one you're looking for, assuming it's for Spec II/Online Beta iso.

@TheAdmiester - sorry if this has been asked previously, is there a way to hit the Garage button while on a race series screen and have it show which cars fit the criteria in your garage for that specific series? I've become reliant on that feature after playing GT7. Just curious, and no big deal if it's a bear of a task.
Thank you. The one I posted was made years ago for the Retail US version.

Last edited:

I wanted to do this, but there are a lot of different criteria that rely on different code paths that made it too tricky to feasibly add. I might consider it again in future.

@TheAdmiester

Speaking on the subject of the (stock) R33 Skyline GTR's exhaust sound, was the engine sample taken from Forza Motorsport 2? Because when I first heard this is what came to mind. Also, the SaabKyle04 R32 Skyline GT-R video has a (nearly?) identical exhaust sound.

And on the subject of the R23 and R34 exhaust, I know they are the same. I was only wondering what the other sound was.

I noticed an issue with the 1996 240SX and the Sileighty. Non-subtle engine pitch changes starting in third gear on the 240SX. It happens on the Sileighty as well, probably in the same gear.

I would also like to make a suggestion if you could: The Prowler should be in the Plymouth dealership, not the Chrysler even though Chrysler is the parent company. I do not understand why PD placed where they did.

Last edited:
Just started playing and I really like the QOL improvements. Outstanding job, keep it yp!

2 things I wanted to address I noticed during my short sessions.

1. The engine volume of the Pontiac Sunfire GXP seems to be very low when using bumper/hood cam.
2. Not sure if this is a bug, but when playing on a PS2 slim through SMB, the gamepad is unresponsive at game start, I have to unplug and reconnect it to get it working - any ideas?

Edit: Also, would it be possible to add the screen blur effect when crashing as a toggle option?

Last edited:
@TheAdmiester

Speaking on the subject of the (stock) R33 Skyline GTR's exhaust sound, was the engine sample taken from Forza Motorsport 2? Because when I first heard this is what came to mind. Also, the SaabKyle04 R33 Skyline GT-R video has a (nearly?) identical exhaust sound.

And on the subject of the R23 and R34 exhaust, I know they are the same. I was only wondering what the other sound was.

I noticed an issue with the 1996 240SX and the Sileighty. Non-subtle engine pitch changes starting in third gear on the 240SX. It happens on the Sileighty as well, probably in the same gear.

I would also like to make a suggestion if you could: The Prowler should be in the Plymouth dealership, not the Chrysler even though Chrysler is the parent company. I do not understand why PD placed where they did.
I believe the R33 is from one of the Forza games yes. I'll give the SR20 sound a look for a later update and consider changing the Prowler.
Just started playing and I really like the QOL improvements. Outstanding job, keep it yp!

2 things I wanted to address I noticed during my short sessions.

1. The engine volume of the Pontiac Sunfire GXP seems to be very low when using bumper/hood cam.
2. Not sure if this is a bug, but when playing on a PS2 slim through SMB, the gamepad is unresponsive at game start, I have to unplug and reconnect it to get it working - any ideas?

Edit: Also, would it be possible to add the screen blur effect when crashing as a toggle option?
Glad you're enjoying it, I think both are somewhat simple fixes.

1. I believe the Sunfire is using a leftover vanilla sound so it's a little bit quieter than newly added sounds but should still be audible. If you think it's near silent and/or a bit echoy in those views, it could be that your PS2 is passing through a device (capture card in this case?) that's mono and the game is still outputting in stereo. Not sure why this happens as it's almost like the channels cancel each other out, but change the game to mono in options and see if it works.

2. If I remember right this is an OPL setting for the game, probably the menu where you pick Mode 1, Mode 2 etc. If you select one that disables the in-game reset option this should fix the pad issue.

Crash effect I may restore as an option but that would be pretty low on the priority list right now + not sure if I have the extra save space to store it.

@TheAdmiester
SR20? You mean the Silvia sound? I never mentioned it though. Also, I meant the R32 video that SaabKyle04 has, not the R33. I fixed my comment. And I do like the R33 exhaust sound in the mod as it sounds accurate/realistic. So hopefully you could keep that one.

@Slavko
And I saw a comment about an unresponsive controller on GT4. On OPL, simply enable mode 6 to fix it. This issue also occurs on the retail version.

Last edited:
(@TheAdmiester)

The '02 Prowler is a Chrysler because the Plymouth brand was discontinued in 2001, so Prowlers were sold as Chryslers for 2001 and 2002.

(@TheAdmiester)

The '02 Prowler is a Chrysler because the Plymouth brand was discontinued in 2001, so Prowlers were sold as Chryslers for 2001 and 2002.
I know. But I prefer the original brand name.

@TheAdmiester

I saw in some earlier posts about porting the 360 degree camera. If this is added, could it be optional? I prefer using the right analog stick to accelerate and brake.

I was also wondering about the sequenced music that plays in the menus. It is possible to have an option to keep a specific track playing, or possibly freeze the current one? It would be nice to be to keep the garage song 'at home' playing in the other areas of GT mode.

I also made a code for GT4 retail which I ported to this that allows any car to be taken in to GT Auto. Even the wheels can be changed on cars like the Ford model T. If you would like the code I can post it here.

(Another issue with L1 look-back is that it does not work even in third-person after you finish the race and the A.I. is controlling your car. Perhaps this is related to the option to enable interior view)

Last edited:
Man, PD doesn't make anything easy...

The Prowler in game is listed as an '02. This would be a Chrysler in real life, and would have minor suspension differences and different paint options from an earlier model Plymouth.

However, for whatever reason, the paint colors offered on the car in GT4 do not match the Chrysler version. In fact, they don't match any version, because PD inexplicably added Deep Cranberry Pearl to the car, a PT Cruiser color that was never offered on the Prowler as far as I can tell (a shade of Purple was offered on Plymouths until 1999, but not Deep Cranberry Pearl and not on Chryslers). But the GT4 car does have Inca Gold, a color that was only ever offered on the Chrysler versions in 2002.

And to top it off, the badge on the Prowler appears to be Plymouth, not Chrysler (though they were similar so it's hard to tell).

Personally, I would keep it a Chrysler but consider adding the special Candy Red that was applied to the last 300 cars built. If it were realistic, the Orange and Cranberry would be removed, but the Orange was at least offered in 2001 on Chryslers (but so was a Blue—by far the most common color for 2001—which doesn't appear in GT4). Then there's High Voltage Blue which was applied to a single car...

Past PD, get your act together. Decide what the car is going to be before you make it. It would save us all a lot of trouble.

Source:

Back