Whatever happened to.. ?

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 73 comments
I can't judge Nakano. Drove for Prost because of Bridgestone and Minardi was Minardi.

Sato was very refreshing though. Set the standard until Kobayashi literally came sweeping through...

Takagi was meh. Certainly knows where Luca Badoer's diffuser is.

nitrorocks
Yeah. 1999 was a year of airborne LMGTP cars too. The Mercedes CLK, BMW V12 LMR, and the Toyota all went airborne I recall.............

Only the Mercs did....

Only the Mercs did....

I cleared that up in the post after it.

Porsche 911 GT1 - Road Atlanta, 1998 - GT1 Class
Mercedes-Benz CLR - La Sarthe, 1999 (x2) - LMGTP Class
BMW V12 LMR - Road Atlanta, 2000. - LMP Class

We try our best to inform.

Katayama was by far the best Japanese driver at the time. He was quite highly rated as well and supposedly turned down a seat at a top team because he didn't think it was fair on them considering his treatment of cancer (or something along those lines). He didn't even reveal he had cancer till after he left F1!

Never knew that, he just managed to land at Minardi when they were de facto tail-enders (although Minardi fans will proudly tell you that the Mastercard Lola was indeed the worst car that single race they showed up for year).

I cleared that up in the post after it.

Porsche 911 GT1 - Road Atlanta, 1998 - GT1 Class
Mercedes-Benz CLR - La Sarthe, 1999 (x2) - LMGTP Class
BMW V12 LMR - Road Atlanta, 2000. - LMP Class

We try our best to inform.

Thats what I meant. Forgot about the Porsche's.

Yeah it did. thought the BMW almost did too..................But then again, I was 2 years old, so what do I know haha

It was the final lap, behind his own team mate, too.

What a way to cross the line!

What happened to long time BTCC privateer James Kaye? Did he just retire? Run out of money?

What happened to long time BTCC privateer James Kaye? Did he just retire? Run out of money?

Last time he was around, he did a few races in 2010 in an Integra. But I think he's struggled to stick around for money reasons, I'm not sure he really retired.

What about Esteban Tuero?

Busy not being Japanese? What about him? He's the definition of "pay driver" at a time when Argentina needed a reason to continue their Grand Prix.
Drivers like Rosset and Tuero made Pedro Diniz look pretty good, or even Takagi or Nakano to bring it back to the original topic.

Esteban Tuero managed to get out of everyone's way and actually qualify for each race, unlike Ricardo Rosset.

At the 1998 Spanish GP qualifying session, everyone had beaten the 107% rule with about 10 minutes to go. Poor Rosset was still trying, pounding around Circuito de Catalunya, trying to make the race. And to be honest, those of us in our little spectator section were actually rooting for him to scrape into the race, to no avail.

Being 2 seconds slower than your teammate on regular occasions is something only a select few drivers manage.
Yeah, Tuero was miles better than Rosset..though thats not saying very much at all.

Back