What's the big fuss about standard cars?

• Thread starter hinkler
  • 44 comments
Is the hood cam easy to use and does it feel and look as good as cockpit cam?

It's not a hood cam in GT, it's a roof cam which puts you too high, if all the cars had a hood cam I'd be very happy.

And in my opinion a hood cam is better than an in cockpit view, I find the steering wheel very distracting especially when using a wheel myself, plus the field of view from the cockpit is terrible, about 2/3 of what you'd get actually sitting in the car.

I really dont care how standards look. Having a Nissan S14 with 500 horsepower is great. But having the only option to look completly stock is dissapoining. I love and hate his game.(Mostly Love)

Also keep in mind with standards that the little pic in the used car lot so doesn't do them justice! Which is kinda cool, all the nicer (in most cases) when you take them out of the box and drive them :)

There is no big deal really... except for the following:

London.jpg

29506558.jpg

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-447.jpg

Hope you like the awesome environment graphics as well.

Ignore what you see of standard cars in photomode - the function itself is design to touch up on any cosmetic deficiencies that you would see in the actual gameplay.

Some of them look very good, others downright terrible - but the deal breaker for me, as for several other people in this thread, is the lack of cockpit view.
I've tried to get used to this, by forcing myself to use it even in my favourite premium cars, but it just feels wrong, so I'm usually back to cockpit view before I'm done with the first lap.

Bumper cam is fine in pure arcade racers - a type of racing games I also enjoy on occasion (most recently NFS Hot Pursuit, although it hasn't been loaded up since I bought GT5) - but for the more realistic racers I'm used to years of PC sims where cockpit view was standard already a decade or more ago.

It's not a hood cam in GT, it's a roof cam which puts you too high, if all the cars had a hood cam I'd be very happy.

And in my opinion a hood cam is better than an in cockpit view, I find the steering wheel very distracting especially when using a wheel myself, plus the field of view from the cockpit is terrible, about 2/3 of what you'd get actually sitting in the car.

The main complaint I have is the roof view for the standards, I love the sheer amount of standards available, there's always one I'm in the mood to drive. But if only there was a hood cam, it would be heaven!
(i guess this is my main/only concern with gt5 almost every thread i write talking about the game I mention the roof view, nothing against it but why no hood view?.......ok I promise I won't mention the view for a week) :)

I highly recommend people try out roof view on the Standards. I like it much more than cockpit view personally. You're centered on the car's center of gravity so you can "feel" the car better, and you get a great view of the road, plus a peek beside your car. It takes a little getting used to because the photo-real graphics do give you the sense that you're riding on top of the car, and it is a bit disorienting at first. But after a few laps in GT4, I fell in love with it. I think it's the perfect view, if you can't have the behind the wheel thing.

i agree, i've had no issues with the standards.

one thing i would point out that is better for bumper cam vs roof cam is with bumper cam, you get a rearview at the top of the screen, which is arguably even better than the premium cars' mirrors, being it shows a wider view.

I'd have no real problem with Standards if they weren't so limited in regards to what you can do with them in Photomode/Photo Travel (which is simply unacceptable) or customization (which is still unacceptable, but I'm far more worried about the Photomode stuff).

Ignore what you see of standard cars in photomode - the function itself is design to touch up on any cosmetic deficiencies that you would see in the actual gameplay.

I'll disagree on that. The Wedsport Celica looks good either way, same with lots of other standard cars I have purchased.

i agree, i've had no issues with the standards.

one thing i would point out that is better for bumper cam vs roof cam is with bumper cam, you get a rearview at the top of the screen, which is arguably even better than the premium cars' mirrors, being it shows a wider view.

Hopefully we get an adjustable HUD soon, I would really like a rear-view mirror while using the roof cam.

I think many of the standards look great, while some look not so good. Overall its how they drive that most concerns me.

Back