Whats the point of drifting?

• Thread starter Torzilla
  • 85 comments
torzilla
Im not trying to be a wise ass. I just dont get the point of drifting. I know sliding in rally racing can make your lap times go down, but on the street doesnt drifting slow you down? I know it looks cooler but other than that what positive affect does it have on racing? Again Im not trying to be a wise ass or disrespectful, so could you guys tell me what the appeal of it is.
thanks
Tor

This question is worse then 9/11 if you ask me lol.

Everyone likes something else ? It is the same as : Why do you like racing ?
It is something what we like, it is the way to take the corners fast. With style :lol:
This isn't racing so it doesn't have effect on it, can understand your question though.
It is about who takes the corners the best and fastest.

And of course it is only allowed on the track, not on the streets.

Last edited:
Drifting is not racing, people don't seem to get that.

Drifting is about demonstrating supreme car control and showing that you can drive a car more spectacularly than the next guy.

For the driver, drifting is about fun, I have done the whole racecar thing, and I can tell you without a doubt, I have more fun in a drift car than a race car.

For the spectator, watching GOOD drifting is like watching the best crash you've ever seen over and over and over again.

Put it this way, in racing, your budget determines how much fun you have, in drifting it is the DRIVER that determines how much fun you have.

At a track day, a guy in a £1000 S13 will not have anywhere near as much fun as a guy in a £40,000 Caterham R500, whereas I can go to a drift day in a £100 Volvo 740 2.3 turbo and have just as much fun as a guy in a £100,000 S15 just by driving the wheels off the car. :)

Finally there is that old chestnut of street drifting, which 1000 times more fun than street racing and is, arguably, a lot safer as it tends to take place on un-used roads away from the general public whereas street racing tends to take place on big highways. However, the official standpoint is 'street drifting is bad mmmkay' ;)

Dancing isn't the quickest way from one side of a stage to the other. Booting a football about and into a net isn't the quickest way from one end of the pitch to the other. Poetry isn't the quickest way to tell somebody what you're thinking.

Racing and drifting may both be in cars on tracks but that's where the similarity ends.

Dancing isn't the quickest way from one side of a stage to the other. Booting a football about and into a net isn't the quickest way from one end of the pitch to the other. Poetry isn't the quickest way to tell somebody what you're thinking.

Racing and drifting may both be in cars on tracks but that's where the similarity ends.
Indeed 👍

Aw, I wasn't quick enough to type up some eloquent similes :(

But yeah, I dunno why people think the drifting forum is a bunch of people that think they're going to win a LMP race taking the corners sideways..It's just something else to do with a car. Some people are into bicycle racing, others are into flatland bmx :)

Whats the point in racing? Its just a bunch of low slung cars with big wing trying to get in front of each other. Not like drifting which is the ultimate car control, it's all about looking good and getting the car as sideways as you can.

See how a biased view can be very misleading. Its your opinion and i'm sure you will get the point of drifting once you look more into it. 👍

It's also a lot more friendly,the state of mind is very different from my point of view.We drift together most of the time, not against each other if you see what I mean.

Drifting is more of an art than a race. You can think of it as comparing Track and Field events, such as relay racing and high jump, to gymnastics. In Track and Field, its all about who gets the fastest time or the highest jump. Whereas in gymnastics, you have to look good doing it to get a high score.

Its essentially a motorsport , you could argue whats the point of f1 or touring cars or rallying ? Its a spectator sport as much as any of the others and its just as rewarding for the drivers ;)

Its a spectator sport as much as any of the others and its just as rewarding for the drivers ;)
You could also argue that drifting is far more of a show and is actually MORE of a spectator sport than any other tarmac based motorsport.

Believe me I LOVE racing, and I watch F1, WRC etc, but after an hour or so, it just becomes watching cars go round in circles. On the other hand, I can watch drifting for hours and hours on end and be continually enthralled. That's actually one of the reasons I started judging in real life, one of the perks of the job was that I got the best seat in the house. :D

You could also argue that drifting is far more of a show and is actually MORE of a spectator sport than any other tarmac based motorsport.

Believe me I LOVE racing, and I watch F1, WRC etc, but after an hour or so, it just becomes watching cars go round in circles. On the other hand, I can watch drifting for hours and hours on end and be continually enthralled. That's actually one of the reasons I started judging in real life, one of the perks of the job was that I got the best seat in the house. :D

Speaking of cars going in circles, why was nascar put into this game?? cause of all racing styles, i dont understand any aspect of Nascar, or how it can be interesting to watch

What's the point of hockey, basketball, football. Everyone in those sports sacrifice their body and well being chasing after a little piece of rubber. If you think about it, it sounds stupid but its fun to play and fun to watch, just like any other sport, including motorsports!

......Except curling......

Speaking of cars going in circles, why was nascar put into this game?? cause of all racing styles, i dont understand any aspect of Nascar, or how it can be interesting to watch

Don't underestimate Nascar my friend, by using ovals they effectively take the track racing out of the equation and it all becomes car vs. car. Trying to stay at the front of a pack of 43 equal cars on a circuit that takes very little driving makes it a very tense battle. People complain about the lack of over taking in F1 because that and crashes are what we really want to see, and that's what Nascar delivers.

Don't underestimate Nascar my friend, by using ovals they effectively take the track racing out of the equation and it all becomes car vs. car. Trying to stay at the front of a pack of 43 equal cars on a circuit that takes very little driving makes it a very tense battle. People complain about the lack of over taking in F1 because that and crashes are what we really want to see, and that's what Nascar delivers.

I guess i can understand that, but no disrespect to nascar fans, i still wouldnt find it interesting to watch

Off topic and well I do poke fun at Nascar it is poorly represented in gt5, it is incredibly exciting to be going 200+mph in a 43 car traffic jam, I fine Nascar is more about who is the best driver (and team in general) then whoever has the best tech wins constaintly The track is easy to drive so you are dealing with the traffic jam and the other drivers, not about how to take the next corner the fastest way possible. to get .275 closer to the leader.

I guess i can understand that, but no disrespect to nascar fans, i still wouldnt find it interesting to watch

That's 'cause you've never seen it live. In person it is amazing to see nearly fifty cars pass you at over 200 miles per hour in less than 2 seconds. Television doesn't convey all the things that make Nascar awesome to watch :)

That's 'cause you've never seen it live. In person it is amazing to see nearly fifty cars pass you at over 200 miles per hour in less than 2 seconds. Television doesn't convey all the things that make Nascar awesome to watch :)

It's the same with drifting. On video the entry speeds all look rather tame. But watching a car nail it down a straight, flick it's self into a slide at 80mph and then carry on round a bend at those speeds, exhaust popping and screaming as it goes is something else.

It's the same with drifting. On video the entry speeds all look rather tame. But watching a car nail it down a straight, flick it's self into a slide at 80mph and then carry on round a bend at those speeds, exhaust popping and screaming as it goes is something else.

I know ;)

I go to many motoring events from FIA GT to JDM Allstars , and drifting always comes out on top watching the driftworks s15 perform insane entry angles is much more entertaining than the sumopower nissan GTR race car ;)

I go to many motoring events from FIA GT to JDM Allstars , and drifting always comes out on top watching the driftworks s15 perform insane entry angles is much more entertaining than the sumopower nissan GTR race car ;)

I think the biggest difference is that normal motorsport is at it's most entertaining when it goes wrong where as drifting is at it's best when ... well when it's at it's best 👍

Im not trying to be a wise ass. I just dont get the point of drifting. I know sliding in rally racing can make your lap times go down, but on the street doesnt drifting slow you down? I know it looks cooler but other than that what positive affect does it have on racing? Again Im not trying to be a wise ass or disrespectful, so could you guys tell me what the appeal of it is.
thanks
Tor

have you even tried drifting? and in my eyes. anyone can teach a monkey to go in a straight line

Back