Whats the point of drifting?

• Thread starter Torzilla
  • 85 comments
I like drifting because it puts a big cheesy grin on my face:D I do it for fun, the only reason I did competitions was because it was the easiest and cheapest way for me to do it at the time. As mentioned earlier it has nothing to do with racing and lap times. I would have loved to enter rallying too, but it's insanely expensive, which is another good point about drifting, it's so cheap.

If you ever tried to step the rear end out in a RWD car and it didn't make you smile when you pulled it off nicely, it probably won't appeal to you.

"Drifting is not only the fastest way around the corner, but the most exciting way"

-Keiichi Tsuchiya AKA Drift King.

It expands the sport of racing in general. you have to know your car and how to drift to have success. lets face it nascar for example has zero skill, o look at me i can drive in a circle haha only left. Drifting can be more critical when you look at a turn. it is not just three points, entry, apex, exit, it is the entire turn is crucial.

lets face it nascar for example has zero skill, o look at me i can drive in a circle haha only left.
PLEASE tell me you didn't just say that. Unfortunately it's comments like that that ensure drifters are never taken seriously.

NASCAR takes HUGE skill. On the non-super speedway circuits they are oversteering pretty much all the way round the track, sometimes at almost 200mph. I know some people find NASCAR dull (usually due to not understanding it, much like the reason some people don't like drifting), but to say it has 'zero skill' just shows complete ignorance on the subject. Look for instance, at Juan Pablo Montoya, one of the best drivers in the world when it comes to single seater racing, but when he moved to NASCAR it took nearly TWO YEARS for him to get his first oval win, this is because the skills required were different to that in F1 and it still took someone of his calibre and experience over two years to get to the top step of the podium (excluding Infineon Road course which I believe he won in his first season).

PLEASE tell me you didn't just say that. Unfortunately it's comments like that that ensure drifters are never taken seriously.

NASCAR takes HUGE skill. On the non-super speedway circuits they are oversteering pretty much all the way round the track, sometimes at almost 200mph. I know some people find NASCAR dull (usually due to not understanding it, much like the reason some people don't like drifting), but to say it has 'zero skill' just shows complete ignorance on the subject. Look for instance, at Juan Pablo Montoya, one of the best drivers in the world when it comes to single seater racing, but when he moved to NASCAR it took nearly TWO YEARS for him to get his first oval win, this is because the skills required were different to that in F1 and it still took someone of his calibre and experience over two years to get to the top step of the podium (excluding Infineon Road course which I believe he won in his first season).
My brother told me that you actually have to watch Nascar, though on a different topic...If you ever watch high level gameplay in Fighting games, you have to be there to see the tension, and to see the Hype.!

ok ok ok i have a right to my own opinion, but many would agree but the topic is about drifting i only said it because it is a easily understood example

ok ok ok i have a right to my own opinion, but many would agree but the topic is about drifting i only said it because it is a easily understood example

You do indeed have a right to your own opinion, I'm simply saying that maybe if you did a little research into it, your opinion would most likely change.

It's like anything though, if you're not into it it's hard to see the subtleties that take most skill and make it most appealing. For instance, drifting looks like hooligans messing around in cars, rugby looks like hooligans beating each other up and NASCAR looks like people driving left to Joe Public.

As has been mentioned earlier, it's also a case of being there and experiencing whatever it is. For example, I'd never watch drag racing on TV, but given the chance to go see the sights, hear the sounds and smell the smells, I'd bite your arm off.

Point of drifting? What is the point of racing? What is the point of anything? Enjoyment is the answer, entertainment, competition.

The point of drifting is to do it because you enjoy it, and to attempt to be good at it, better than others.

I'm still just getting in to drifting and my reason was to learn superior car control, not pose.

When I race, even though I can't drift very well yet, I find my car control has leapt up massively so yeah... Car control and the grin factor that comes with that.

Reason why I drift is because it takes a lot of skill and knowledge of the car to provide supreme car control. It sort of teaches me the basics of the car and how to control it if I happen to lose control of it. Everybody can't do it. So for the skill required for drifting, it basically sets me apart from everyone else. Also with skill requires knowledge, learning your car, knowing the limits it can take, how much abuse it can take, where the weight goes, how to control the car. It pretty much improves your skill as a driver for when you're racing.

For example, If I happen to lose control of the car in the race, I exactly know what to do to avoid spinning out or causing an accident. Not only that though, but it's great fun.

Reason why I drift is because it takes a lot of skill and knowledge of the car to provide supreme car control. It sort of teaches me the basics of the car and how to control it if I happen to lose control of it. Everybody can't do it. So for the skill required for drifting, it basically sets me apart from everyone else. Also with skill requires knowledge, learning your car, knowing the limits it can take, how much abuse it can take, where the weight goes, how to control the car. It pretty much improves your skill as a driver for when you're racing.

For example, If I happen to lose control of the car in the race, I exactly know what to do to avoid spinning out or causing an accident. Not only that though, but it's great fun.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Dancing isn't the quickest way from one side of a stage to the other. Booting a football about and into a net isn't the quickest way from one end of the pitch to the other. Poetry isn't the quickest way to tell somebody what you're thinking.

Racing and drifting may both be in cars on tracks but that's where the similarity ends.

Now that my friend is the correct answer. Now the more important question is...

To Drift or not to Drift?....

Easy > DRIFT!

NASCAR looks like people driving left to Joe Public.

LMAO I didn't even need to look to see you were British lol..

Drifting is a love it or hate it no inbetween. There is no better feeling to get your adrenaline pumping in my eyes than slinging a car sideways and praying to god you come out again in 1 piece! it's just unbelievable!.. SOME people say that with racing an F1 car round Monza at over 200 Mph..

It's like any other sport, Food, Beer, Song or even Gorgeous Woman lol.. Everyone has a different opinion

Drifting is a love it or hate it no inbetween. There is no better feeling to get your adrenaline pumping in my eyes than slinging a car sideways and praying to god you come out again in 1 piece! it's just unbelievable!.. SOME people say that with racing an F1 car round Monza at over 200 Mph..

It's like any other sport, Food, Beer, Song or even Gorgeous Woman lol.. Everyone has a different opinion

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

It's also a lot more friendly,the state of mind is very different from my point of view.We drift together most of the time, not against each other if you see what I mean.

That's absolutely true :) People drifting try to do good drifts together and not battle for the first place. I have to say last time I went online and found a drifting only room, there were several people drifting (or trying to) and they waited for me to join, they stopped their cars and waited until I joined the bunch and off we went. It was one of the best experiences I had online for a while ;) I am by far not the best drifter but I am trying to get better and it slowly works, and trust me it is A LOT OF FUN :)

What gave me away? The Joe Public bit or the NASCAR bit? Cause I do appreciate a little 'stock' car racing every once in a while :)

Bein a drifter, a skater and a psychologist I say this:

First drifting is to racing what street skating is to downhill, when I do downhill racing, its me and only me against the world, its a crazy headlong rush to win. When I trick skate its about me and my crew and the narrative we weave around us, we push each other but its collaborative.

Secondly: EVERYTHING men do is to try and stand out from other men, to be better than most at somthing, anything, in order to attract women. Some activities are mainstream some are not, but then people are too. End of.

So drifting is less immediately competative than racing, more collaborative and it allows for artistic expression. So it suits a particular type o guy. Not the alpha, usually outsiders, maybe alphas of subgroups.

if racing is ice hockey then drifting is figure skating
if racing is a 100m freestyle swim then drifting is a 10m spring board diving event

just 2 different sports using different methods, equipment, and scoring.

Just curious, as long as this thread has become has the OP ever replied back to it? At this point it is looking like a hit and run troll attempt that failed.

Bein a drifter, a skater and a psychologist I say this:

First drifting is to racing what street skating is to downhill, when I do downhill racing, its me and only me against the world, its a crazy headlong rush to win. When I trick skate its about me and my crew and the narrative we weave around us, we push each other but its collaborative.

Secondly: EVERYTHING men do is to try and stand out from other men, to be better than most at somthing, anything, in order to attract women. Some activities are mainstream some are not, but then people are too. End of.

So drifting is less immediately competative than racing, more collaborative and it allows for artistic expression. So it suits a particular type o guy. Not the alpha, usually outsiders, maybe alphas of subgroups.

To think that drifting can go deeper...though it just pure fun.

To me, slow speed drifting on comfort tires is not only pointless but very easy (Really; camber, toe, stabilizer...cake). However, if you can do it on race tires in the middle of a race and cover everyone behind you in a cloud of smoke and repeat this several times during the race and still win - then it's cool:

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/7117/autumnringq.jpg

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/297/tsukubacircuita.jpg

http://img696.imageshack.us/i/caperingsouth1.jpg/

http://img696.imageshack.us/i/caperingsouth.jpg/

autumnring1d.jpg

Back