What's your most expensive worst car?

• Thread starter Bullwinkle
  • 108 comments
United States
United States
Grand_Slammin
Mine: the McLaren P1 GTR '16. At $3.6 million it's not even close. And it's not even close to drivable either. I got that $1m bonus a couple weeks ago, and when I finished the café I got another $1m so I thought, what the heck? I saw the 986 HP/607.5 torque for under 800 PP stock and thought it was going to be my sleeper car for all the 800 events. Boy was I wrong. I feel like such a sucker.

I spent an entire day Saturday tuning it for the track at Catalunya but I can't keep it in the race. (Side note, what's the deal with tuning the car perfectly in Time Trials only to have it behave totally differently on race day? Seriously, any insight here?)

The car had an even worse time at Maggiore, slipping around like I was on ice. And I literally went all-four-tires-off-the-ground airborne on that huge drop to that banked hairpin. I nearly landed on the poor guy in front of me!

I'm so frustrated. The only car I have worse is the Ford GT LM Spec II Test Car which, for some reason I have two of. But they don't bother me as much because I got them both in the roulette somehow. The McLaren is just such an ugly mistake and now I'm stuck with it. What an expensive paperweight, although it probably would slip right off the paper too, so scratch that idea . . . .

So, what other lemons are out there to avoid? What was your biggest most expensive and disappointing mistake of a purchase?

You probably have to fine tune it through the settings.

I'd wager most (even I) would consider the Stratos is a waste of 500,000 K. It's borderline undriveable. Until I fooled around with the settings and tuned the suspension. Now it's far less undrivable but still prone to snap oversteer.

Last edited:
Prepare yourselves! The DeLorean DMC responses are coming!
I made a DeLorean DMC-12 touring car using the one that was just in the UCD. The thing when tuned to 620PP is actually really enjoyable to drive and race. The handling (or at least the setup I gave it) feels great!

Also here's the pic of it I've already posted once or twice again, just to flex. It's actually one of my favourite cars now because it's both quirky and fun to throw around.

5b817d0cc2ff817b626fcff2a9105f46_photo.png

Last edited:
I made a DeLorean DMC-12 touring car using the one that was just in the UCD. The thing when tuned to 620PP is actually really enjoyable to drive and race. The handling (or at least the setup I gave it) feels great!

Also here's the pic of it I've already posted once or twice again, just to flex. It's actually one of my favourite cars now because it's both quirky and fun to throw around.

View attachment 1133969

I also bought it from the UCD and tuned it to the max. Was really disappointed when I couldn't put any forced induction whatsoever on it. I wonder if it is eligible for an engine swap? I did a bit of tuning with it but haven't been able to cure the loose rear end yet. Also, what wheel is that, they look great on it.

The BMW M6 GT3 is probably the worst Gr.3 car I've driven. That thing is hideous in slow and medium speed corners. It just doesn't want to turn at all.

The 2006 Ford GT fully tuned is absolutely undriveable no matter how many settings I change. By a long shot the worst car I've driven, but the car when it was stock was actually fine.

The Ferrari F12 Berlinetta is a long 2nd for worst cars driven.

In GT Sport, the Vulcan and the P1 GTR were indeed shocking to drive, from what the OP stated about the P1 GTR, it's likely going to be even worse.

Last edited:
The BMW M6 GT3 is probably the worst Gr.3 car I've driven. That thing is hideous in slow and medium speed corners. It just doesn't want to turn at all.

The 2006 Ford GT fully tuned is absolutely undriveable no matter how many settings I change. By a long shot the worst car I've driven, but the car when it was stock was actually fine.

Agreed on the Ford. I won two of the Spec II cars on the roulette, and so now I have two identically undriveable cars. I think Praiano has a tune for the 2006 GT (check it out), but no telling if it’ll transfer to my Spec IIs.

I was looking forward to winning the Berlinerta as well, but after driving it (or attempting to) I put it back under cover deep in my garage.

Mine: the McLaren P1 GTR '16. At $3.6 million it's not even close. And it's not even close to drivable either. I got that $1m bonus a couple weeks ago, and when I finished the café I got another $1m so I thought, what the heck? I saw the 986 HP/607.5 torque for under 800 PP stock and thought it was going to be my sleeper car for all the 800 events. Boy was I wrong. I feel like such a sucker.

I spent an entire day Saturday tuning it for the track at Catalunya but I can't keep it in the race. (Side note, what's the deal with tuning the car perfectly in Time Trials only to have it behave totally differently on race day? Seriously, any insight here?)

The car had an even worse time at Maggiore, slipping around like I was on ice. And I literally went all-four-tires-off-the-ground airborne on that huge drop to that banked hairpin. I nearly landed on the poor guy in front of me!

I'm so frustrated. The only car I have worse is the Ford GT LM Spec II Test Car which, for some reason I have two of. But they don't bother me as much because I got them both in the roulette somehow. The McLaren is just such an ugly mistake and now I'm stuck with it. What an expensive paperweight, although it probably would slip right off the paper too, so scratch that idea . . . .

So, what other lemons are out there to avoid? What was your biggest most expensive and disappointing mistake of a purchase?
I mean the giveaway that it was gonna be an extreme handful shoulda been the pwr/tq figure compared to its points coming in under 800...

Last edited:
I mean the giveaway that it was gonna be an extreme handful shoulda been the pwr/tq figure compared to its points coming in under 800...
To be fair, I'm new to the game (and racing in general), but looking back on it I should have guessed. I wish they'd give us access to all the stats before we buy the cars.

Prepare yourselves! The DeLorean DMC responses are coming!
I have one which I modified to have 269bhp (nice) and I stiffened it up a little. It's not as nice as @MisterWaffles' DeLorean but I do enjoy it. Plus, with the bodykit and having it lowered, it looks even cooler than it already did. Money well spent I say.

In GT Sport, the Vulcan and the P1 GTR were indeed shocking to drive, from what the OP stated about the P1 GTR, it's likely going to be even worse.

I used the F12 Berlinetta on two of the Ferrari menu book races, only change was SS tires, but it was undriveable without TCS 1. It's a bullet in a straight line.

For me, it's currently the De Tomaso Mangusta. It's good looks are betrayed by the fact that it can't turn for ****.

I can't say that McLaren P1 is too bad, but it shouldn't cost 3,600,000cr. It's not the car to win all wtc800. Lambo VGT V12 for 1,000,000cr much better for wtc800 and cheaper.
McLaren P1 feels like it's Gr3 car. It's faster, but worse on coners. And it's needed to use fuel economy for 1 pit-stop.

Last edited:
I used the F12 Berlinetta on two of the Ferrari menu book races, only change was SS tires, but it was undriveable without TCS 1. It's a bullet in a straight line.
Tried to race it at Deep forest yesterday was the fastest car I tried but it will never be nimble that's for sure.

If you want to make it turn in use lots of toe out.

For me,the 911 strassenversion.I find it hard in tight circuits having said that it was good on N24 in the porsche Cup.Overall a little disappointing for me.6/10.

I used the Ferrari F12 to win the last cafe championship. Fully tuned with a wide body and dressed in a wonderfully done Scuderia Ferrari paint job. It looks and sounds like, what I'd love a modern GT1 car to be like.

A little bit lacking in mid corner downforce and traction but an absolute missile once it's up and running.

I've been very careful on the cars I've bought so far as I've been burnt on GT Sport with things like the disappointing 20 million credits Ferrari 330P4...

Edit - Actually the worst 'expensive' car I've probably bought is the Tesla. It's ancient now and way down on power compared to the latest Plaid Model S' (400hp Vs a 1000hp). I'm ashamed to say I bought it for the trophy...

Last edited:
I can't say that McLaren P1 is too bad, but it shouldn't cost 3,600,000cr. It's not the car to win all wtc800. Lambo VGT V12 for 1,000,000cr much better for wtc800 and cheaper.
McLaren P1 feels like it's Gr3 car. It's faster, but worse on coners. And it's needed to use fuel economy for 1 pit-stop.
This was another one of my mistakes. I was sure that, as a hybrid, the P1 would be a no-stopper for the races. Boy was I wrong. It’s a borderline two-stop car! And it’s murder on tires so there’s no finishing a race without stopping anyway. It would do great on the Special Stage Route X track, but that race requires American cars, so still no venue for it.

I wonder what would show up when I make a custom race for it? I guess I’ll go try that now and find out.

Edit - Actually the worst 'expensive' car I've probably bought is the Tesla. It's ancient now and way down on power compared to the latest Plaid Model S' (400hp Vs a 1000hp). I'm ashamed to say I bought it for the trophy...
I got the Porsche electric car instead. It’s fun but there are zero modifications to do to it, and in a custom race it’s only against other identical cars with no differences. They even are all the same color.

Mine is the 300SL gullwing. I was so excited that i bought two of them, one to keep stock for any event in the future it might be useful for, and one i hotted up a bit with RS tyres and lightweight.. need to fine tune the suspension some more, but the stock one was sooo much worse than i expected 🙄

Mine is without a doubt the 2006 Ford GT. Its not THAT expensive but I fully tuned it, also added aero parts and it is absolutely worthless. Utterly undriveable.
I do have cars that are strangely prone to snap-oversteering and I have managed to overcome it with proper tuning and balancing, but the Ford GT is something else entirely. Even with high TCS settings it is not possible to race with it.
Total waste of money.-

Last edited:
I almost bought that McLaren P1 GTR a few times, but the prices has kept me from pulling the trigger on it. Maybe I should take it off the want list.

However, the Ford GT LM Spec car is one of my favorites in the game. Just finished the WTC 800 Championship with it and got 4/5 clean race bonuses (LeMans was the only one I didn't get which I have no idea why, usually that's the easy one)... and NO TC!

72ea0209b57c6b6cc93ca6c9fb7fbab1_photo.webp

SO maybe I'd like the McLaren afterall!

Mine is without a doubt the 2006 Ford GT. Its not THAT expensive but I fully tuned it, also added aero parts and it is absolutely worthless. Utterly undriveable.
I do have cars that are strangely prone to snap-oversteering and I have managed to overcome it with proper tuning and balancing, but the Ford GT is something else entirely. Even with high TCS settings it is not possible to race with it.
Total waste of money.-
That’s odd… I just won the Clubman Cup 700 event at Laguna Seca with a stock Ford GT ‘06 using sports soft tires. No assists and I quite enjoyed driving it.

Total waste of money.-

Have you tried Praianos tune in the tuning forum? It drives really well, one of my favourites.

Last edited:
Gt40 MK1. It's not awful, but for 5.4mil or whatever it was it's not great. I've gotten it to be okay via tuning, but it's nowhere near the monster it was in previous games.

The OP's call of the P1 GTR has also been a huge waste of credits. Not so much because of the handling but because there's nothing to do with it. They really need to make another racing group for cars like the P1 GTR, Ferrari FXX, Pagani Zonda-R, etc as they are just expensive hot-lap toys as it currently stands

Oh, and how can I forget the DB3S for 5mil I just bought 18hr ago. It's great stock, but if you add the supercharger it's like a Cobra; high power, low weight, short wheelbase. In this physics engine, for a RWD car, it's just not good. Plus it's really a 500pp race car, which is not exactly a performance level for race cars we see very often. Maybe in time they'll add content for these 80yo vehicles, but right now they're just eye candy

Last edited:
That’s odd… I just won the Clubman Cup 700 event at Laguna Seca with a stock Ford GT ‘06 using sports soft tires. No assists and I quite enjoyed driving it.
Oh the stock Ford GT 06' isn't so bad, but boy, fully modded at around 721 PP it behaves as if it was floating on melting ice.
I'm not new to tuning cars in GT and dealing with understeering and oversteering, I know how to setup differentials and aero balance - and this car is just ridiculous, anything but coasting through corners will make it fly off the track you wouldn't believe it. Driving it feels like driving a hovercraft, no bite in the corners, the car feels weightless and it just floats off the track whenever you dare to try to change directions.

I'm faster with my fully modded Integra at around 660PP because I can actually push it.

Last edited:
Oh, and how can I forget the DB3S for 5mil I just bought 18hr ago. It's great stock, but if you add the supercharger it's like a Cobra; high power, low weight, short wheelbase. In this physics engine, for a RWD car, it's just not good. Plus it's really a 500pp race car, which is not exactly a performance level for race cars we see very often. Maybe in time they'll add content for these 80yo vehicles, but right now they're just eye candy
This review sealed the fate for my next addition to my garage, I love the DB3S but if it is in effect a trophy car, not really for racing, then I can wait for it to cycle back through the system.

Miura untuned. This ****er looooooves to spin out making slow-medium speed tracks a slog. Deep Forest though wasn't too bad because the brakes are actually quite solid for how old the car is.

It's a trophy, which is a shame because it's one of the few Legends cars that might have some actual practical use because of its PP class. You can't even recreate the Jota either (only aero is a spoiler). I'd imagine though with some tuning the thing could still be beastly

Back