Wheel recommendations...is it me or the wheel?

• Thread starter clemsondds
  • 18 comments
United States
United States
Hey everyone...new to racing. Bought the logitech g923 wheel and pedals. I did the mercedes time trial event last night. I just couldn't get under 1:24 (still in top 7%). There were so many curves where I felt like the wheel just wasn't consistent, but maybe it was just my lack of skills. I know I'm new to this (first time ever racing) but would an experienced player be able to score in say the top 100 with this wheel, or does it have it's limits where it just won't perform to that high degree of technical driving? I'm within my return window and so just need to decide if I need to return it and get a direct drive wheel. Thank you for your thoughts!

If you have to question whether the hardware could be better or it is you, then it is you, especially when you really are

If you're new to racing, stick with the g923 and work on improving your skills first.
Thanks! My point is...should the g923 be able to compete with any other high end steering wheel in competitions? Or does it have a max capability? Obviously right now it's fine for me to continue to grow...but I would rather just return it and pay the extra cash now to get the DD wheel, if it's a given that one will eventually be limited by the capabilities of the g923 in competitive racing. Make sense? In other words, could some of the people in the top 20, if given the G923, could they replicate the same times they just posted?

Thanks! My point is...should the g923 be able to compete with any other high end steering wheel in competitions? Or does it have a max capability?
I haven't tried DD wheels but surely there must be a reason why pros use them instead of entry level ones. That being said, if you are a beginner then I don't think using high end wheels would make much of a difference, hence why I recommend using the g923 for now (so you can see if sim racing is something you want to continue with). As you get better then it might be worth investing in a better setup.

It's you. Better wheels give a better experience, but don't give more speed. Many racers with the best times use an averagely priced wheel. I believe some even still use a controller.

The wheel you have is good enough to allow you to unlock your full potential.

That being said... with the current version of GT7, a few users are complaining about a lack of feedback, particularly Logirech wheels with Trueforce such as yours, and this can hurt your lapping if the wheel feels dead and gives no warning of a developing slide. Adjusting the settings, in particular increasing the sensitivity (all the way to max if needed) may help it feel more intuitive.

If the wheel feedback feels odd, it's more likely the settings, not the quality of the wheel (and not you).

Thanks! My point is...should the g923 be able to compete with any other high end steering wheel in competitions? Or does it have a max capability? Obviously right now it's fine for me to continue to grow...but I would rather just return it and pay the extra cash now to get the DD wheel, if it's a given that one will eventually be limited by the capabilities of the g923 in competitive racing. Make sense? In other words, could some of the people in the top 20, if given the G923, could they replicate the same times they just posted?
The tweet I posted is exactly that. Digit is among those fastest drivers and could match his pace on a DD using the G29 (a worse G923).

A reminder considering you just apparently didn't look at it. The leaderboard picture shows the 11th fastest time in the world set using a G29.

It's you. Better wheels give a better experience, but don't give more speed. Many racers with the best times use an averagely priced wheel. I believe some even still use a controller.

The wheel you have is good enough to allow you to unlock your full potential.

That being said... with the current version of GT7, a few users are complaining about a lack of feedback, particularly Logirech wheels with Trueforce such as yours, and this can hurt your lapping if the wheel feels dead and gives no warning of a developing slide. Adjusting the settings, in particular increasing the sensitivity (all the way to max if needed) may help it feel more intuitive.

If the wheel feedback feels odd, it's more likely the settings, not the quality of the wheel (and not you).
Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for. Definitely lacks feel in the corners...like the back end breaks away when I wasn't expecting it. I'll check out the settings. I've never used a dd so I just have no clue as to the differences. Appreciate the feedback

Last edited:
I have the G29 and I use motion steering on the DS4 and my times are usually within 0.5 second of each other.

You can adjust the deadzones in the GT7 settings menu for the pedals to what you feel is more suitable to you and the torque for turn in and hard cornering through the settings menu when on track

18e08332cab21-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_437397921514285_1708585630915.jpg
18e0833438266-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_437397923240529_1708585637658.jpg
1903cac1b2d42-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_440065181341884_1719004614616 (1).jpg
1903cac47c73-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_440065183030745_1719004621213.jpg
1903cac572d50-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_440065184808767_1719004628159.jpg

Changing those settings to suite your driving style may help you get a better feeling for it 👍🏻

Also if you aren't worried about warranty then look at G29 pedal mods and overclocking 😉 and (one I haven't done yet) load cell brakes.

I have the G29 and I use motion steering on the DS4 and my times are usually within 0.5 second of each other.

You can adjust the deadzones in the GT7 settings menu for the pedals to what you feel is more suitable to you and the torque for turn in and hard cornering through the settings menu when on track

View attachment 1384766View attachment 1384767View attachment 1384768View attachment 1384769View attachment 1384770

Changing those settings to suite your driving style may help you get a better feeling for it 👍🏻

Also if you aren't worried about warranty then look at G29 pedal mods and overclocking 😉 and (one I haven't done yet) load cell brakes.
He has a G923 wheel.

He has a G923 wheel.
I know, it is the upgraded version of the G29.

The G29 G923 and old G27 use a lot of common parts.

The in game calibration, deadzone and torque settings are exactly the same.

Plus the vast majority of mods for them are the same too.

I think the G923 pedals have a progressive spring in the brake and I'm sure the G293 also has a double clutch feature for faster launches which the G29 doesn't have.

Last edited:

There are lots of people with world records on a G29, and on a Pad. It’s the driver, not the wheel. Especially if it’s only a TT lap, it gets grey’er as you get into the top tiers of actual racing, but yes the G29 is still very competitive at the highest levels.

Last edited:
I use a G923 (and PSVR2, but that's beside the point), and a controller (depends on my mood), and I'm equally fast with both. It WILL take some time to get used to the differences in the inputs, at first. After a while it will be second nature. VR was a similar experience. At first I wasn't nearly as fast, and now I'm right there with my flat screen times. With the right settings (1.50, I recommend turning up the torque, more than is typical) the G923 is a joy in GT7. I say stick with it. I'm a GT veteran (started with GT1), and have been using a wheel since GT4. You'll be just fine with a G923. No need to upgrade unless you have the extra cash lying around, burning a hole in your pocket.

Mostly skill. Maybe a slightly better gaming chair.

It's primarily going to be the driver that has the biggest effect on laptimes. You don't need necessarily need better equipment to go faster, but it may help when you need to execute consistently.

It's you I'm afraid.

Digit recently put out a video going over what he learned from his testing, which hopefully gives a more nuanced view:

One the concerns I have is the size of the dataset used.

While I think the video is pretty insightful, I would avoid making any hard claims until the test replicated with much larger sample sizes, even if what is shown in the video turns out to representative and the conclusions are the same.

Understanding of the racing line, braking markers and turning points don't magically change overnight, so being able to produce similar laptimes passes the squint test, at least. The standard deviation and median values may tell the story a bit better, though.

Back