Wheel Stands, Racing Rigs Cockpits, Pedals, Wheels. Master List

• Thread starter SGETI
  • 1,157 comments
Hey guys, I'm looking to uograde my rig. I'm probably getting a Moza R12 (12Nm) or something similar. I have a GT Omega Apex wheelstand which is suprisingly solid. I definitely want a full rig though and theres a couple of options.

1. I could get a rear seat frame for the Apex
I dont know for sure the Apex will handle the R12 though. Also I'm not a fan of the shifter mount in this setup as it's very close to the steering wheel with next to zero adjustability.
2. I could get the GT Omega Art with extra reinforcement. Probably a bit stronger and the shifter mount is a lot better on this.
3. I could get an aluminum extrusion rig like a Prime Lite, Simlab Evo, Trakracer 80..
Expensive, but very strong and adjustable.

Anyone here have experience with option 1 or 2 with a relatively high powered DD wheel? Is it good enough? I was thinking I could get the wheelbase first and see how the Apex holds up..

I also find the seats pretty expensive from the regular sim webshops and was wondering if you guys have any advice on that?

Option 1 & 2 no info from me. Option 3, I have a simlab evo rig and my only issue is that I did not buy it sooner.
Seats. Suggest you visit the local junk yard. Another option is to visit a local auto body shop. Good luck.

Option 1 & 2 no info from me. Option 3, I have a simlab evo rig and my only issue is that I did not buy it sooner.
Seats. Suggest you visit the local junk yard. Another option is to visit a local auto body shop. Good luck.
Thanks. What rig/setup did you have before the simlab?

The T300 served me well for many years. Now use DD Simagic Alpha mini for over a year. There is no universal mounting system. Some use slide rails while others use solid brackets to attach to the side of the seat. The largest issue I came across when going the junkyard or auto body shop route was the bottom of the seat, the rails, in many models do lay flat from side to side and even front to back. Because they do lay flat mounting them becomes a riddle a puzzle that requires DIY fixes. I had once used a seat from a crashed jeep. Always try to get the passenger seat, less wear. The Jeep seat mounting points were not flat. I ended up using pieces of scrap wood to level the seat. Worked great for many years.

Hey guys, I'm looking to uograde my rig. I'm probably getting a Moza R12 (12Nm) or something similar. I have a GT Omega Apex wheelstand which is suprisingly solid. I definitely want a full rig though and theres a couple of options.

1. I could get a rear seat frame for the Apex
I dont know for sure the Apex will handle the R12 though. Also I'm not a fan of the shifter mount in this setup as it's very close to the steering wheel with next to zero adjustability.
2. I could get the GT Omega Art with extra reinforcement. Probably a bit stronger and the shifter mount is a lot better on this.
3. I could get an aluminum extrusion rig like a Prime Lite, Simlab Evo, Trakracer 80..
Expensive, but very strong and adjustable.

Anyone here have experience with option 1 or 2 with a relatively high powered DD wheel? Is it good enough? I was thinking I could get the wheelbase first and see how the Apex holds up..

I also find the seats pretty expensive from the regular sim webshops and was wondering if you guys have any advice on that?
Hej,
I use option 2 since a few weeks and am very happy with it. I did buy the original extra-reinforcement for the shifter and the wheelbase-table. It is my first proper cockpit so I have no comparison. Especially the shifter mount needed the extras to be stable. I use the 8nm DD Pro and the shifter/handbrake-combo by Fanatec. I also have R12 seat which is big. GT Omega now also have bucket seats. If you have further questions, just ask. Greetings!

Hej,
I use option 2 since a few weeks and am very happy with it. I did buy the original extra-reinforcement for the shifter and the wheelbase-table. It is my first proper cockpit so I have no comparison. Especially the shifter mount needed the extras to be stable. I use the 8nm DD Pro and the shifter/handbrake-combo by Fanatec. I also have R12 seat which is big. GT Omega now also have bucket seats. If you have further questions, just ask. Greetings!
Unfortunately the bucket seats at GT Omega are sold out, or only available in pink… anyone tried them?

The Inertia seems to be a problem if you wear a VR, the Chase is too small for taller people I read? Any feedback from anyone? I am kind of forced to order from them since everyone else charges hundreds of Euros for shipping and they ship for free somehow

Unfortunately the bucket seats at GT Omega are sold out, or only available in pink… anyone tried them?
Not with their bucket seats, only with the rs xl. It smelled like chemicals so bad I moved it for almost a week outdoors to the balcony until the smell disappeared...

The Inertia seems to be a problem if you wear a VR, the Chase is too small for taller people I read? Any feedback from anyone? I am kind of forced to order from them since everyone else charges hundreds of Euros for shipping and they ship for free somehow
Re bucket seats, I thought most, if not all, bucket seats on the market had side mounting options. In that case, the ES1 bucket seat from Next Level Racing might be the way to go.

I have one, and love it. Boosted Media has one fitted to his rig, and swears by it. It has snazzu seat belts, too. Not that I bother with them, but they look cool.

Re bucket seats, I thought most, if not all, bucket seats on the market had side mounting options. In that case, the ES1 bucket seat from Next Level Racing might be the way to go.

I have one, and love it. Boosted Media has one fitted to his rig, and swears by it. It has snazzu seat belts, too. Not that I bother with them, but they look cool.
Yes, I saw the ES1 seat. That one is basically the only one available in Malta. Can I mount it directly from below on the rig (GT Omega prime)?

The T300 served me well for many years. Now use DD Simagic Alpha mini for over a year. There is no universal mounting system. Some use slide rails while others use solid brackets to attach to the side of the seat. The largest issue I came across when going the junkyard or auto body shop route was the bottom of the seat, the rails, in many models do lay flat from side to side and even front to back.
Thanks for your replies. Sgeti, what do you mean flat? I mean the rails on the rig are flat as well so that shouldn't be a problem? I'm sure I'll figure something out though.

I looked around for 2nd hand car seats. Seems like a better deal indeed. About a 3rd the price of a gaming chair and surely more comfortable..

Hej,
I decided to go for a 8020 rig. The cheapest ones arent that expensive (400 euro ish) and from what I understand they last a lifetime and can handle any wheel you throw at them. The adjustability and modularity is welcome too. I'm fairly tall and also might want to add parts in the future so I figured I go for it.

Thanks for your replies. Sgeti, what do you mean flat? I mean the rails on the rig are flat as well so that shouldn't be a problem? I'm sure I'll figure something out though.
The attachment points of the seat assembly to the actual car body. The four bolt holes. The rails on your rig are flat, the slider on the seat is flat, however, the attachment to the cat is different for each model car. Look below as example. You can see the front mounts, attachment points are unequal side to side, therefore the seat does not sit level to the ground. Also notice the seat on the right, the mounting hole of the front is verticle.
1713190347118.png

The attachment points of the seat assembly to the actual car body. The four bolt holes. The rails on your rig are flat, the slider on the seat is flat, however, the attachment to the cat is different for each model car. Look below as example. You can see the front mounts, attachment points are unequal side to side, therefore the seat does not sit level to the ground. Also notice the seat on the right, the mounting hole of the front is verticle. View attachment 1346796
I gues that's something that will differ from seat to seat. Hopefully I'm lucky because it's still pretty hard to find a good seat for a good price so if I find one I'm taking it home anyway. So far I feel like finding a decent chair has been the hardest part of building my new rig..

While I'm at it, another question. Do you guys reckon it's better to get a 34" 1000R 21:9 screen, or a flat 43" 16:9 for the same money?

Last edited:
Decided for a 43" flat monitor. I will likely add head tracking for more immersion anyway and this will give me a better fov. Further down the line I'll likely get VR too.

Picked up a seat. It's from a Ford Fiesta ST and I think it looks great. It's a bit small in width but I'll manage. From the looks of it mounting will defo require some dyi though .. any advice on this?

Edit. Some further research shows I can probably place two aluminium profiles perpendicular to the length of the cockpit and mount the seat on that. The difference in height I hope to fill just with some washers. Does anyone know if the seat profiles from the sim lab gt1 are wide enough to do this?

Attachments

• IMG_20240416_122730505.jpg
    IMG_20240416_122730505.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20240416_122742964.jpg
    IMG_20240416_122742964.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I am not sure if anyone can compare these two, but I have a tough decision to make.

• GT Omega Prime 743€
  • SimLab GT1 Pro 599€

Price wise it will probably turn out to be the same since for the Sim Lab I have to pay shipping, while GT Omega ships for free.

I would also need a seat slider to mount my Sparco R100 and would probably get the shifter HB bracket (both from SimLab).

Thanks for any information!

The gt omega uses "standard" aluminium 8020 profiles while simlab started to use "proprietary" profiles that are made for the "simlab ecosystem" (see the monitor mount for that rig) ._.

I know I’m kind of late to the party, but I wanted to toss my two cents into the ring . . . specifically about a rig I got recently: the Next Level GT Racer at $400 U.S. Didn't find a review on here so I made one.

First, a bit of background on me. I’ve played Gran Turismo since Gran Turismo and have owned several wheels (starting with GT3: A-spec) and have attached said equipment to coffee tables (both wood and glass), TV dinner trays and the like. I eventually got a Big Boy Wheel Stand in 2010 before being gifted a Next Level Wheel Stand back in my GT Sport days (2018) and the metal on that finally gave up the ghost after an estimated 11,000+ races (345 racing days per year x 5.5 races a day x 6 years = 11,385. Currently only have about 1200 hours logged into GT7; not that I play that often ^_~).

I received an early Father’s Day present this week – the aforementioned GT Racer. I wanted to provide some feedback for those who may be considering this or a similarly priced rig. I suspect folks don’t care too much about putting it together so I’ll get right to my impressions of the thing after about 12 hours of driving. I use a Logitech G923 wheel with matching pedals, and the Logitech shifter. I exclusively use the PSVR2 when driving. I’m grading this against its segment, not against all sim rigs (e.g. aluminum profile) overall.

Adjustability. There’s quite a bit of adjustments that can be made, but there is one potential drawback. Great things are a very supportive seat that reclines and comes on seat sliders. That makes it easy to adjust for riders up to 6’7” according to NLR; I’m 6’5” and I’m groovy.

The wheel deck has a good bit of adjustability as well but it’s not a fast process. You can control height, depth and angle to a healthy degree. The pedal deck is welded in place and other than some fore/aft movements, the pedals cannot be adjusted. I would actually rate this rig 10/10 if the deck could be adjusted, honestly. The pedal deck is on a fixed incline of about 20 degrees; this is not for straight up pedals. It comes with a shifter mount and one of their universal mount plates. You can adjust how far back the entire arm rests (it attaches to one of the main supports which can be moved fore/aft) as well as some flexibility of where the shifter is mounted. I was fine; your mileage may vary. All in all, 8/10 for adjustments.

Rigidity.
Most of it is solid but there is flex in a couple of spots. Under hard braking, the middle of the rig does flex up a bit under very hard braking. I don’t notice it when I’m driving; I am not using a flat screen, however. Honestly, the only time I notice the flex is when I sit down after I get home and actually look at the frame to test for flex. Some online have suggested using tension straps; I don’t feel the need.

The other point of some flex is the reclining seat, but it doesn’t flex much more than the bucket seats we use in most cars. I get more flex out of my locked-out desk chair at work.

Where I don’t find flex is at the wheel deck or the pedal deck; those bad chickens are rock solid. Only if I intentionally pull back on the wheel can I sense some flex . . . and that would be bad driving technique! All in all, 8/10 for rigidity

Comfort.
This bad chicken is an all-day pleasure. Ergonomically I can get everything where I want it and if I want to relax my back for a bit – the seat has great lumbar support – just recline an inch or two mid-race. I don’t have a pole between my feet, I don’t feel like I’m sitting in a camping chair #PlayseatTropy and it actually adds to the immersion. One advantage I will say the PlaySeat’s chair has is if you have broad shoulders, you can feel the supports on your shoulders in the GT Racer. I fit just fine and I don’t think most folks would be bothered, truthfully. All in all, 10/10 for comfort.

Value.
This thing is $400 and is easily as comfortable (in my personal opinion) as rigs I’ve sat in costing significantly more. When you throw in the adjustability, the shifter mount, a buttkicker mount and a seat you didn’t have to source yourself . . . the fact is this is one hamfat of a bargain. Gotta give this 11/10.

Who is this meant for?
That’s the most important thing in my opinion. If you have load cell pedals, a 15nm wheel (this thing tops out at 13nm by the way) a triple monitor setup and a motion platform, this is clearly not for you. However, if you have a Logitech or similar wheel & pedals, are looking to move from the desk/couch/recliner, don’t want to have to source your own seat for however much that may cost? Especially if you are on a budget that is sub $500? I’d look no further than here.

Most direct competition:
The PlaySeat Trophy is lighter and more rigid in the center, but you have to purchase a shifter mount if you want to drive stick. There’s no buttkicker mount but it is much lighter than the GT Racer. The Trophy has a seating position that can be changed, but not as easily as this one (and the NLR seat reclines and is on sliders to boot!) The Trophy can do more of an F-1(ish) seating position where the GT Racer is GT only. It’s easier to adjust the angle of the wheel deck of the Trophy but it lacks the range of adjustments the GT Racer has.

If they were both of a similar price, and the Trophy came with a shift mount, I could understand people selecting the Trophy based on its looks and lightweight. However, I cannot find $200-250 worth of difference between the two. Honestly if they were both the same price I’d still go for the GT Racer.

TL;DR: Great rig for a great price if you are on a budget. Seat, adjustability, can take 13nm and can fit a taller driver.

Latest Posts

Back