Why am I finding the game too difficult even on Easy?

• Thread starter Dieter01
  • 49 comments
Easy setting in the options does not apply to the pepper races.
As for previously winning a four pepper race - sometimes the difficulty is really inconsistent, or sometimes one just gets lucky with car selection.
I've seen a couple 2 pepper races that seemed harder then a few 4 pepper races.
I don't necessarily think its the difficulty of the races, as much as it is 1 single game designers idea of what he "thought" were the order of difficulty at the time they created them.
Things change, settings change, mechanics change.

Weird, I found the single-player disappointingly easy, I think most people completed the menu books within a week of having the game.

Among the bulk there are a small number of races that are "challenging" you could say, but really they should all be like that.

I usually find the hardest difficulty in driving games, be it f1, Grid, project cars, is a bit too much for me.

I'll usually play at normal or medium difficulty - basically a step down from the hardest.

But, in GT 7, and GT Sport before it, I always run on professional by default.

It's the only one that even offers somewhat of a challenge.

Last edited:
Here's what I found out personally:
1. Correct gearbox setup is essential in GT7. You can really no longer have just one setup for your car. You must have at least a long and a short gearbox setup for cars that you drive often. Possibly even an "extra short" tune for tracks like Tsukuba
2. I don't know how all this works in GT7, but AI tends to just crazy accelerate out of the corners. Even with the shorter gearbox tunes and cars optimized for HP, computer STILL somehow accelerates faster than you. I'm not sure if AI just spams nitrous out of every corner or if this is done for "balancing" (aka cheating) by the AI to have better acceleration because they don't corner as well. Seems to me like the only way to match this is to use nitrous yourself. Which brings me to my next point...
3. Everything above becomes utterly useless once you get into first place. At that point, the #2 car transforms into the Dodge Tomahawk and just starts driving a second and a half behind you no matter how well you do. So frankly, none of it actually matters. Just drive well enough to eventually catch up and get to first, and then just don't make mistakes afterwards. Your speed doesn't really matter much because whatever you do, AI will just match it even if you're in a Bugatti and they are in a Civic. Just don't make mistakes once you're in first. That's really the recipe here.

Fully tune a Viper '02. Or something similar you prefer. Then turn off all assists except for ABS weak. Then go and timetrial your favourite track til you get it down. Put the countersteer weak if you are having big trouble. Just be gentle with the throttle, break in a straight line, break early, half or less throttle when turning. Practise makes perfect. I'm still working on it myself too.

A car can break or turn. You grip goes to one or the other. You have to find the balance there.

You'll get the hang of it, just keep practicing your lines. Learning each course and how to properly enter a corner, which gear you need to be in during exit, learning the best line not only for the current corner but for what is beyond that corner, when trail-braking is necessary to retain speed/stay on the tarmac, etc. These things take time. Plus if you're on a controller this is probably the most difficult entry in the series for controller users. The over-steer issue with RWD cars means one needs to be very precise with the throttle; where 15% may be perfect coming out of a corner, 20% may spin you backwards so it's tough to get right.

One thing I like to do for a course I do not know very well is turn on the brake zone (red warning on the course) as well as the driving line. Then I go into a time trial and run the course over and over again. Eventually you'll see seconds drop off of each lap, and as that happens I change the line to markers only and turn off braking zones to see if I can keep the same pace without the visual aids.
The "Circuit Experience" challenges could also be a great way to improve, even if you can't get silver/gold. As long as you're getting progressively quicker it's a win in my book.

It can be frustrating at first but as you start to smoothly move about the track it's quite fulfilling. The AI and learning how to navigate them, that's an entirely different can of worms; for the most part it's all about closing the gap by out-cornering them.

Oh, and don't be afraid to use traction control! While it is true that TC will slow you down in this series (it's PD's heavy-handed simulation of TC not TC itself, per se) it only slows you down once you know how to drive x car around y track. Using it can help you gain confidence whilst learning, but once comfortable I would suggest turning it off and learning to drive without it if you ever intend to race online, if not there's no harm in leaving it on especially if it makes the experience more enjoyable.

I quite enjoy it... But I am 42 and I primarily bought the game for my kids to enjoy something that was a big part of my childhood. They are not old enough to understand the deeper complexities of tuning setups etc. Even for me, the game is very very hard.

I made a car that I tuned for 550PP for a Clubman plus High speed ring race. I got smoked, every single car in the lineup was faster. Spent a little more time and optimized and tuned. Even with pretty decent driving the best I could do was 4th (in 6-7 tries).

So I decided to get some help with the tuning and made a group 4 Supra GR race care according to Praiano's 630PP setup. Entered a race on High Speed Ring again. I suspect the car could even be further optimized for a high speed course like this, but it was really nice. But it was not easy! I thought that on Easy difficulty setting the other cars would be slower. No such thing. Even with what I would consider decent driving I am not able to keep up. There is another Supra in the race and he accellerates away from me on the straights and I need to do really nice weight transfer and find a smooth line through turns to take some of that back. Usually make my way up to a 4th-6th position and then someone bumps into me from behind and I spin out.

I don't know the course well enough yet to really maximize. For myself, this difficulty is perfect and I would enjoy playing like this. For my 11 / 13 yr olds though, they don't stand a chance. And it seems weird that even with a fully optimized/tuned car, we are still not able to advance on other cars on the straight on Easy difficulty where the opposition is supposed to be slower. Is this just me? Is there something else that could be wrong?
Gave a try to this one, really isn't easy, or it's seems this way. Tried with my heavily tuned Subaru BRZ, then a mildly tuned BMW M3 Sport Evo and a couple more cars.
Then tried something new... The complete opposite. A car from scratch, in this case the Honda Civic Type R FK8 you can win with bronze in Beyond the Horizon missions. As the car must be tuned, just applied weight reduction stage 1, Sport medium tires (sorts make the car go over 550pp) and went for it. Won it easily, just the stock gearbox and clutch are a bit slow changing gears, appart from that, just amazing, specially in the last corner.

Last edited:
The licenses are harder than the game on eas. There is no way you should be beat by the first turn and you should not be penalties against you when the AI cars run you into the walls you should be able to turn them off like in other games.PD Needs to fix easy mode like it was in gt1 and up I have played all them and still do.

It is not an easy game if you're not used to its kind of realistic driving. I'd suggest trying out the License tests as they teach you not only the basics of driving but also the crucial difference that a few milliseconds (when braking/accelerating) and centimeters (where to enter/exit curves etc.) can make to your lap time.

It's NOWHERE near realistic. I race actual cars. The game is still far more like it used to be when the game was truly good, sum 20 years ago. I also have all licenses. They won't help with the problem OP and myself are having or had in OP's case (I just bought the game and wish I hadn't as it is truly awful).

It's NOWHERE near realistic. I race actual cars. The game is still far more like it used to be when the game was truly good, sum 20 years ago. I also have all licenses. They won't help with the problem OP and myself are having or had in OP's case (I just bought the game and wish I hadn't as it is truly awful).

What is the actual problem you are having? Realism debate aside what are you actually struggling with in the game?

Then we might be able to help.

Since you’ve got real world racing experience and already acquired all the licenses, I guess it’s either a matter of bad tuning setups or you haven’t learned the tracks well enough. Did you do the circuit experiences?

I quite enjoy it... But I am 42 and I primarily bought the game for my kids to enjoy something that was a big part of my childhood. They are not old enough to understand the deeper complexities of tuning setups etc. Even for me, the game is very very hard.

I made a car that I tuned for 550PP for a Clubman plus High speed ring race. I got smoked, every single car in the lineup was faster. Spent a little more time and optimized and tuned. Even with pretty decent driving the best I could do was 4th (in 6-7 tries).

So I decided to get some help with the tuning and made a group 4 Supra GR race care according to Praiano's 630PP setup. Entered a race on High Speed Ring again. I suspect the car could even be further optimized for a high speed course like this, but it was really nice. But it was not easy! I thought that on Easy difficulty setting the other cars would be slower. No such thing. Even with what I would consider decent driving I am not able to keep up. There is another Supra in the race and he accellerates away from me on the straights and I need to do really nice weight transfer and find a smooth line through turns to take some of that back. Usually make my way up to a 4th-6th position and then someone bumps into me from behind and I spin out.

I don't know the course well enough yet to really maximize. For myself, this difficulty is perfect and I would enjoy playing like this. For my 11 / 13 yr olds though, they don't stand a chance. And it seems weird that even with a fully optimized/tuned car, we are still not able to advance on other cars on the straight on Easy difficulty where the opposition is supposed to be slower. Is this just me? Is there something else that could be wrong?
Experienced total racing impotence at (not so "good
") Goodman circuit, in the GT7 Clubman race with my tuned-to-348pp (required <=350pp) Mini, as the entire field reaches T1 long, long before I do! And I know how to drive. From GTSport, I acquired a DR AS, just to highlite that it is not my competence in question. Tried various tunings. Zilch.

Last edited:
The thing i noted is, that the AI is especially slow at corners, but pretty fast on straight lines. I also struggled with that 550PP event you mentioned.
Driving more technical tracks is a lot easier
Tuning is everything!!!!!!!!! You can tune every car to how you like to drive… ppl on YouTube are help ful but their tunes are suspect… beyond the apex in your profile has pics and explanations to help tune your car… the more difficult the better… so when you compete with good drives you will be competitive

Tuning is everything!!!!!!!!! You can tune every car to how you like to drive… ppl on YouTube are help ful but their tunes are suspect… beyond the apex in your profile has pics and explanations to help tune your car… the more difficult the better… so when you compete with good drives you will be competitive
Thats quite the old thread you did dig up here.

While tuning certianly help making a car go faster (who would have thought), it is possible to beat events with untuned cars (of course, you could just pick one that is already close to the given limit), or downtune faster cars, or "simply" drive better and beat the event with a car that is lower rated than the event allows for.

And then there is to consider that PP balancing is in a state that makes a joke of the word "balance".

Back