Why one-makes make sense in Sport Mode, and how Sport Mode demonstrates a common issue in competitive gaming.

• Thread starter MIE1992
  • 13 comments
United States
Connecticut
Ridley-X4
For any competitive game, no matter how much the devs may try to balance out a player's options, there's always going to be a "meta" option. And if there's a balancing patch, then that option just gets changed to something else. I used to think that it'd be cooler to have more races in both the daily races and championships where you could pick more than one car, like in the first couple weeks of GT7, but now I realize that outside the Manufacturers Cup - where you cannot change cars per race - I'm afraid that a diverse field is a pipe dream.

However! I did have some ideas to make Sport Mode races more fun, while still considering the reality of all this. But first, we need to consider some factors at play here:

-PD likely wants to get as many players involved in Sport Mode as possible, including the GTWS. This means that I doubt the addition of more championships is likely, though we did get the GR Cup, and in some territories, there was a Porsche Cup. (I think there was also a Super Formula cup, too, in Japan, but I might be wrong about that.)

-Permitting settings all the time does not seem likely, either. Again, this could alienate potential players, perhaps even including myself. But it could be an option on rare occasions.

-As another part of trying to get as much participation in Sport Mode as they can, PD also likely won't allow us to enter our own tuned/customized cars, as I could see players who don't have many credits having a barrier to entry.

-However, I could see PD offering pre-tuned cars as rentals, and I do recall a couple Sport Mode races in GT Sport that did such a thing. Who knows, maybe they could even offer cars that have had engine swaps.

-As for players, even if you permit settings while enabling BoP, they'll still find a way to "optimize the fun out of the game," as a famous game designer once said. There will always be a meta pick, no matter how many options you provide - and this issue is far from being exclusive to Gran Turismo. For example, in Pokemon, Landorus-Therian is usually very popular whenever it is permitted, and in the most recent VGC broadcasts, Incineroar has been incredibly popular.

So, with all this in mind, here's what I would propose.

-Nations Cup rounds could generally avoid Gr.3 and Gr.4 races, as the Manufacturers Cup already does that. The former could feature new cars that are not part of Gr.4 or Gr.3, while the latter could feature new venues/layouts provided they're ones based on tarmac.

-More of the Daily Races could follow my idea for the Nations Cup, where it'd generally avoid races that use Gr.4 or Gr.3 cars. It also could feature races that permit a sub-set of cars, like how in the upcoming GTWS Nations Cup round at Le Mans, you're limited to the Porsche 919, the Toyota GR010, the Audi R18 '16, and the Nissan GT-R LM Nismo. Or how just recently, there was a race at Daytona that only permitted the Group C cars within Gr.1. Or, it could indeed feature more one-makes, but specifically for cars that are highly unusual, like how there's an upcoming GTWS Nations Cup round that features the new Suzuki VGT.

-More Gr.1/Gr.2/Gr.B cars could be added insofar that the Manufacturers Cup could also offer races in those categories, as well. Between the real-world categories of LMDh, LMH, Group C, made-for-game racers, and the prospect of more VGTs - including from automakers that may've already had one added - I could see these groups being fleshed out a lot more, especially Gr.1. As for Gr.2, it'd be ideal if PD could get DTM racers from Audi, Mercedes-AMG, BMW, and Aston Martin, but if they (still) cannot, then I'd be just as interested in some made-for-game cars, potentially based on other models like the new BMW M8, or the Mercedes-AMG GT R. (A Gr.1 version of the C8 Corvette could be really cool, too, perhaps designed as if it were a LMDh racer, kind of like the older C7 Corvette DP.)

-Alternatively, if the Manufacturers Cup really want to just stick with Gr.4/Gr.3, more manufactures could be added to it, just as we can see with the addition of Genesis in GT7. Perhaps Alpine could be next, as I do recall there being a GT4 version of the new A110. The same could apply to Abarth and the new 124. I could also see Acura joining, perhaps with racing versions of the new TLX Type-S and the new Integra. Or maybe instead of using a re-badged Honda NSX Gr.3, they could have a Gr.3 car based on the newer, visually different Acura NSX Type-S.

-If in the case that the Manufacturers Cup does eventually have more than Gr.4/Gr.3 races, then the Nations Cup could still have a niche by having us race stuff like a certain sub-set of road cars, or continue to have one-makes with interesting models. It could also have us race a sub-set of race cars in the "main" groups, too, like the aforementioned Group C races.

So, any thoughts on all this?

Just very quick.. have you checked out the current B for Gr4 races? I haven't seen such a tight field for a long time... WRX, ALFA, GT-R, SILVIA s15, Audi TT, Mustang, Jaguar and a few others are sooo close together that in the race it is more important who is cleaner drives, has better RaceCraft or just drives dirtier. But yes, it is really important that the vehicles are close to each other.

Like a lot of things in life, the problem is the participants. Because it's a competitive event against real people there's an inherent "I HAVE TO WIN" attitude. As such people want the meta as they don't want to be missing out or be at a disadvantage.

As you say "optimise out the fun"

For me, I race the sport races in whatever I fancy, regardless of the meta. I'm not the fastest out there, but the way the algorithms work on GT it (should) put you with players of a similar speed around the track. I've yet to win a GT7 sport mode race, but even without driving the meta I've managed top 5 finishes - so the algorithm does work... Ish...

That said, I do sport mode for funsies, so would rather drive acar I've spent ages making a livery for instead of driving what may save me half a second on track

Not that I play Sport Mode anyway but my issue with it is it still doesn't feel like Gran Turismo to me. We know they made the change for GTS to be a serious racer but GT has always been about an eclectic range of cars racing together, upgraded cars. There are 430 cars in the game now, and Sport Mode just ignores most of them.

If there were more races with just a PP limit and a few restrictions on body shape to prevent the oddballs dominating then it would seem a lot more fun and a lot more Gran Turismo to me. Plus the chances of there being one META car is far less likely, or if there is, people won't realise what it is so soon, or another car could be discovered later.

I'd rather do one-make races than the current system. Just don't like BoP and until/unless tuner races are added it's just not at all interesting to me. I usually do a race or two on the rare occasion we do get one-make's, at least when they are interesting cars to drive. But even then not being able to set the brake bias, ride-height, sway-bar stiffness, to suit my driving style is just too restrictive.

This series' strength is the tuning, unrealistic as it may be, and not providing mirror-races (A1-BoP A2 -tuning, etc) of the daily's that allow for tuning is just driving people away that would otherwise engage with the mode. Like @Samus said, Sport/Sport mode just don't feel like Gran Turismo, and it's due to BoP. No standing starts and the ridiculous spread at the start of the races aren't doing the mode any favors either...

I've thought for a while that perhaps Daily Races could merge somehow with the way the manufacturer season works.

Perhaps add a Daily D that requires you to choose a manufacturer for the weeks race, but to avoid everyone just dogpiling Subaru, have it so you earn a bonus at the end each week depending on some semblance of how you performed across the week in comparison to others in the same car.

This way people are dissuaded from picking the meta manufacturer as spreading your choice out means you're more likely to earn big bucks at the end, and you should (ideally) get quite a varied grid.

This could be very flawed somehow. It's a very surface level idea but it could be a good way to encourage variety.

Last edited:
I dream of Sophy being used to BoP. But even then, one car will have better tire wear, or another car will have better fuel consumption, etc. But that is where the driver's choice will be dependant on his or her's strengths and weaknesses. Maybe?

The field for race C in GT Sport this month has been pretty diverse so far. First it seemed the McLaren F1 was going to be meta, then the Corvette C7. Then more cars started winning the races and today the V12 Vantage took first and second place while not making an appearance in the days before. It's people that simply pick the car that's the top qualifier. Yet the best qualifying car is often not the best performing one in the race.

BoP can work, it just takes work to make it work. PD is the problem here, too slow to act, too lazy to balance the cars out properly. GT7 BoP is simply a mess. BoP needs to be redone after making physics changes.

PD either needs to hire more people / pay the star players to balance out the cars after every physics change, or use Sophy to balance out the cars. The tricky part is, should BoP be different for races without tire wear / fuel use and races with them? It probably should since having to fuel save in one car while not in the other made the 787B the only real contender last week. Tire wear the same, some cars are just not viable since they eat tires without any benefits in return.

In theory Sophy can calculate BoP for each race, with the disadvantage of your go to car behaving slightly differently in each race. Yet the benefit of making lap times the same for each car is that it will all come down to strategy instead of picking the fastest car for the track. Sophy is perfect for hot lapping, just need to do it with tire wear and fuel enabled and adjust power and weight until all the cars have the same finish time, pit stop included. Then it's up to the players to find the car that does best for them with other cars on track.

Anyone here know if you can use a different car than provided by the manufacturer you sign with? For example when looking a ford it’s the gr4 mustang. No other options. For gr3 I only saw the gt ll. If I own a mustang gr3 can I use it for the gtws manufacture cup?🍻

Anyone here know if you can use a different car than provided by the manufacturer you sign with? For example when looking a ford it’s the gr4 mustang. No other options. For gr3 I only saw the gt ll. If I own a mustang gr3 can I use it for the gtws manufacture cup?🍻
Yes, you can.

Wouldn't that switch the meta favor to meta car with meta tune then?
No, it would switch to the car that can take most of the PP exploits to stay within the limits.
PP without a 2nd limitiation (tyres, power, weight, ride height, whatever) wouldnt work.

Back