Will GT6 have Porsche in it?

• Thread starter alstigy
  • 586 comments
I think it has to do with licensing...

CaptainObviousToTheRescue.jpg

No Porsche tuners in GT without Porsche license, full stop. We've been over this before, a tuner is still a Porsche even if you take the badges off and they can't include them.
I'm not sure this is the case, actually. Gemballa isn't a manufacturer, and I recall a couple of games (off the top of my head, Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3 had one; and one of the Wangan Midnight games had something like 4 Gemballas in the game) having at least one of them in the games as a Porsche stand-in instead of RUF.

Too bad, I wished PD would do some little tricks to get RWB cooperate to license their tuned cars into the game, like removing all Porsche badges from RWB cars when modelling them ... I am pretty sure RWB would love to be featured in the game, much like HKS or other tuning company that has appeared in GT series.

PD already tried that route by using race cars and it quickly got stepped on. You can remove the badges from a RWB (or anything else for that matter) all you like, but if it still carries a Porsche chassis number then its not getting in.

Unless they are recognized as a separate manufacturer (and as such carry separate chassis numbers) then they are not getting in.

I'm not sure this is the case, actually. Gemballa isn't a manufacturer, and I recall a couple of games (off the top of my head, Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3 had one; and one of the Wangan Midnight games had something like 4 Gemballas in the game) having at least one of them in the games as a Porsche stand-in instead of RUF.

Hmm, don't know about those then. Maybe they simply got away with it because they're smaller, lesser known games and EA/Porsche didn't care.

Toca 3 also included a Gemballa and no Porsches, additionally it also included some Koenig Ferrari's without a Ferrari license (and they were named Koenig, not Ferrari), I don't think Koenig is anything more than a tuner (legally) either.

So RUF is the only way PD can get Porsche based car into GT :(

Or get the Porsche license. As far as we know it's not technically impossible, it's just about PD and EA potentially reaching a deal that both are happy with. For PD/Sony that's obviously paying as little as possible, we can only hope EA are willing to make a deal.

I would honestly prefer if PD overpaid for permission to use the Porsche license and then passed on the cost to us as DLC, even if the cost is huge. This is similar to what Forza did.

I would rather have the option to pay $20-30 for DLC Porsches than not have Porsches at all.

I think that EA would write a big fat number on that possible Porsche license for PD, because said exclusivity is one of the few things which separates their titles from the Gran Turismo franchise. So either they keep said exclusivity, or they get a wagonload of money from PD for selling it - a win-win-situation, nothing to lose there for EA.

I think that EA would write a big fat number on that possible Porsche license for PD, because said exclusivity is one of the few things which separates their titles from the Gran Turismo franchise. So either they keep said exclusivity, or they get a wagonload of money from PD for selling it - a win-win-situation, nothing to lose there for EA.

Which is probably exactly why we've not seen them to date. EA have said we want X amount, PD/Sony has said no. Hopefully one day either PD say yes, EA lower their price or some other sort of deal can be made. Unfortunately PD/Sony don't really have any bargaining chips of their own.

As much as I want to see Porsche in GT6. I believe it's better if PD/Sony didn't bother getting the Porsche license at all and instead get RUF, because whatever price EA makes up, I say PD/Sony shouldn't bother nor waste their time with them. EA will do anything to gain lots of money, so companies shouldn't bother with them anymore just to get Porsche, EA acts like children and are crybabies...

I just hope the Porsche license just get expired so companies can purchase it quick, before EA would renew the contract...

I just hope the Porsche license just get expired so companies can purchase it quick, before EA would renew the contract...

I think EA would be keeping a close eye on something like an experiation date for a contract. Especially if it's their exclusiveness with Porsche, don't you think?

I think EA would be keeping a close eye on something like an experiation date for a contract. Especially if it's their exclusiveness with Porsche, don't you think?

Very true, I completely forgot they would do that. :P How much money do they even have to be able to keep that? That sucks... >___>

As much as I want to see Porsche in GT6. I believe it's better if PD/Sony didn't bother getting the Porsche license at all and instead get RUF, because whatever price EA makes up, I say PD/Sony shouldn't bother nor waste their time with them. EA will do anything to gain lots of money, so companies shouldn't bother with them anymore just to get Porsche, EA acts like children and are crybabies...

I doubt it's going to expire anytime soon, Porsche say that they have a "close cooperation" with EA and it sounds like they're happy for EA to continue to decide what to do with their brand in videogames:

Due to our close cooperation with Electronic Arts, we accept their entrepreneurial decisions to give out sublicenses. Electronic Arts operates in the area of entertainment software, we operate in the area of producing cars. In terms of a good partnership, we only deem it best to let every one of our partners operate freely in their respective branch. Even if that means that there will be decisions which we would have met differently.

So with that in mind that is the only way we'll get Porsche in GT, via some sort of deal with EA.

And I'm pretty convinced we're never gonna see that deal happen because while someone like Turn 10 has some convincing material thanks to their deal with Ferrari (or so last I heard), PD/Sony has nothing solid or convincing enough for EA to drop the price and they also aren't willing to pay that high price.

So with that in mind that is the only way we'll get Porsche in GT, via some sort of deal with EA.

I'm afraid so, I wonder whether EA adjusts the asking price for a sublicense based on (past) sales figures or profits as that might be an explanation why Forza is able to get it (which ofcourse they wouldn't do if it didn't make sense businesswise) and why PD are seemingly unable (or unwilling) to do so at this point.

I mean, the argument of competing with their own games goes for Forza as well on the XBox and I doubt the addition of Porsche in itself to GT would affect the demographic for their Need for Speed games, I mean the only effect might be that currently hardcore Porsche fans looking for a console sim will buy an XBox and Forza instead or additional to a PS3 and GT, don't see how that necessarily benefits EA?

if they can use tuners instead of the Porsche namesake why not RWB?
PD must not use any tuned Porsche as long as it's registered as a Porsche, meaning that the tuner has to be a registered car manufacturer. And even then, not all of the cars they lay their hands on are changed enough to carry their own brand. So while RUF also is a Porsche tuner, the RUF cars in Gran Turismo are registered as a RUF and not as a Porsche, therefore their use is not touched by the missing Porsche license.

There are only few tuners who have a manufacturer status, so the occasions to put Porsche-like vehicles into Gran Turismo are pretty rare to begin with. Also, many people will argue that a RUF, no matter how good it is, is not a Porsche original, and that only the true original counts.

EA will do anything to gain lots of money...

I love it when people say this like every other gaming company isn't doing the exact same thing. You think if PD owned the exclusive Porsche license they wouldn't be trying to wring every last dollar out of sublicensing it?

Business is business, you can't get pissed off at people for trying to make money. That's the whole point.

Unfortunately PD/Sony don't really have any bargaining chips of their own.

Only the biggest selling/most well-known racing franchise in video game history, we've seen the partnerships with Nissan and now Chevy, they most certainly have bargaining chips of their own.

Only the biggest selling/most well-known racing franchise in video game history, we've seen the partnerships with Nissan and now Chevy, they most certainly have bargaining chips of their own.

Which EA would care about because...

Thing is, neither of those brands have the same weight a Company like Ferrari, or Lamborghini or any other exotic brand has. If they did, then they could make a strong case. This is kinda what helps Turn 10 with getting Porsche.

I doubt it's going to expire anytime soon, Porsche say that they have a "close cooperation" with EA and it sounds like they're happy for EA to continue to decide what to do with their brand in videogames:

Aww, too bad I get guess. :indiff:

I love it when people say this like every other gaming company isn't doing the exact same thing. You think if PD owned the exclusive Porsche license they wouldn't be trying to wring every last dollar out of sublicensing it?

Business is business, you can't get pissed off at people for trying to make money. That's the whole point.

The funny thing is wasn't even pissed off so don't think that, and obviously PD may do the same thing if they did had the Porsche license, because like you said, it's business. I just find it to be annoying that's what my thoughts were when wrote my post in the first place... No big deal. :grumpy:

Back