Will I fit in a Miata?

• Thread starter RICHARDO
  • 28 comments
Hello folks, I'm looking foward to purchasing a first-gen Miata.

And I was wondering, I'm 6 ft 4 in tall, do I have any chance of fitting in the damn thing with the top closed? :scared:

As a previous owner who is 5'11", I'd say you probably won't. You might squeeze in if you adjust the seat forward and recline the back all the way until it hits the bulkhead. But then you may be uncomfortable.

And even when the top is down, you might find your straight ahead view is of the top of the windshield frame.

But you won't know for sure until you sit down in one. Won't cost you anything but time to try.

M

No, you won't fit in a Miata with the top up.

But please, feel free to try.

I'm 6'1", and I fit perfectly inside a first-gen. Perfectly. Not alot of head room, but more than my current car has.

But, try and see. You might be able to find a position that works.

I'm 6'4" and kinda chubby and fit perfectly in a MX-5... granted, I preferred driving it around with the top down, as the constant scratching of the top to my head got kind of annoying, but still.

Of course, don't expect loads of leg, shoulder and headroom... it'll mostly be like fitting in a F1 car, where your longest movement will be going from neutral to 1st gear, so I wouldn't recommend it for long drives.

Thanks for the opinions guys, as long as I don't have to crane my neck into my chest with the top up, I'm good. :)

Diego, we pretty much have the same body type. So if you fit, I'll fit. 👍

I'm starting to think my current car (a 1990 Cavalier wagon, if you don't know.) has LESS room than an MX-5. In my Cavalier, the steering wheel is in my chest, although the headroom is suprisingly good.

Thanks again guys, feel free to give more of your thoughts of purchasing a Miata. :)

Homeboi, you wouldn't fit in that thang if you even had the top down.

Let's not forget about speedbumps either. Go over one of them and you will be unconscious, bashing your head on the rooftop.

I heard somewhere that there are kits for sale that allow you to take out the floorboards and move the pedals back a little or something like that to provide just a little more room. I'm 6'4" and it felt like the car was huggeng me when I sat in it at a show. Probably wouldn't be the best for very long trips.

A bit off topic, but I recently drove a first-gen MR2. Those little things have a surprising amount of room. I'm skinny, 6ft. The owner was maybe 5'10 and rather large. I had to move the seat forward to comfortably use the clutch. Wow.

A bit off topic, but I recently drove a first-gen MR2. Those little things have a surprising amount of room. I'm skinny, 6ft. The owner was maybe 5'10 and rather large. I had to move the seat forward to comfortably use the clutch. Wow.
I think there is more room due to the engine being in a much better place IMO, in the back. :)

Well if you are getting a Miata, make sure you get it in black, and not red. Red Miatas show that the person driving it has lost his balls on the court. :yuck:

I think there is more room due to the engine being in a much better place IMO, in the back. :)

Well if you are getting a Miata, make sure you get it in black, and not red. Red Miatas show that the person driving it has lost his balls on the court. :yuck:
I firmly believe that a miata is not a girl car, regardless of the color. If you keep it stock, they yes it is, but if you tune it, it switches over immediately.

It's a trick question. :sly:

Regardless of size, anyone will fit in a Miata!
You can adapt the seat brackets a little to allow the seat bottom to retract a little more than the factory standard, but admittedly you have to have the seat back a little more upright to allow this. (There's a couple of >6ft 4in members of the Miata club I belong to that drive Mk1s that've done this successfully to allow them to fit more comfortably.)

However as any true Miata owner knows, the real answer to the trick question, is:- Of course you'll fit, 'cos you'll never, ever, ever, drive it with the top up!!! :D Thus headroom is not an issue!

Especially if you live in Florida! (Just don't take it out during hurricane season! :P)
Make It A Topless Afternoon! ;)

DWA
Considering I feel cramped in it... I don't think so....
@ DWA. You have a Miata too? Now you definitely have to come to SFGTP2. What model/generation?

Actually, an MR2 has an engine amidships, not in the back. Hence the MR in the name. :sly:
You need to look to old VW Beetles and Porsche 911s for a true "engine in the back" RR layout.
The MR2 Spyder may have a little more driver space than a 1st gen Miata, but where're you going to store the extra 3.1 cu.ft of stuff that fits in the 5 cu.ft of trunk space in the Miata, that the 1.9 cu.ft of cargo space in the MRS can't handle? :P
Oh. I forgot, that's right, you're 17 and drive a rear-engined bus! :lol: My mistake! :sly:

Let's not forget about speedbumps either. Go over one of them and you will be unconscious, bashing your head on the rooftop.
:rolleyes:
Yep, bashing your head on the soft, canvas, roof (which shouldn't be up anyway) is bound to have you unconcious in no time. Just like being beaten gently with a fluffy pillow will. :dunce:

DWA
No, my friend does... I can't do a Miata.

Really? I'm 5' 9 1/2" and mine fits me. "Like a glove"! :D
Highly engaging driving experience, a touch underpowered compared with the Porsche, but very easy to chuck into bends and induce a little oversteer if required.

My car (wannabe hachi roku) is a bit bigger but it feels like an suv compared to one of those. As for what I drive I don't care because I need something to get from point a to point b and not cost me an arm and a leg at the pump. This car is sufficient.

Especially if you live in Florida! *

* = During Novermber through March only. Unless you're a bag of microwave popcorn.

I'm 5'10" and perfectly fit in my sister's Miata with the seat all the way back; if I was a bit taller, maybe it would be all little too snug.

Actually, an MR2 has an engine amidships, not in the back. Hence the MR in the name. :sly: You need to look to old VW Beetles and Porsche 911s for a true "engine in the back" RR layout. The MR2 Spyder may have a little more driver space than a 1st gen Miata, but where're you going to store the extra 3.1 cu.ft of stuff that fits in the 5 cu.ft of trunk space in the Miata, that the 1.9 cu.ft of cargo space in the MRS can't handle? :P
Oh. I forgot, that's right, you're 17 and drive a rear-engined bus! :lol: My mistake! :sly:

:rolleyes:
Yep, bashing your head on the soft, canvas, roof (which shouldn't be up anyway) is bound to have you unconcious in no time. Just like being beaten gently with a fluffy pillow will. :dunce:
I'm talking about the Hard-Top I saw the other day, is that an aftermarket top or something?

I meant the engine was not in front for the MR2, so I eat my own words here.

Did you really have to bash the buses? :lol: I have been in a Miata and they don't fit 6'5 17 year olds in that thang, unless you open the top, but it is still not so comfortable. I rather own a bus than a Miata. :sly: (Especially a hard top Miata...)

Here we go with buses again...

EDIT: With the top down, people can see who is driving that thing, and it was labeled a homo-car somewhere. :grumpy:

I'm 6'4, and I don't fit in a Miata... well, stock anyhow. Replace the seat with a low bucket seat from Momo or so, and you'll fit fine. Its how I manage in my MR2 ;)

@ DWA. You have a Miata too? Now you definitely have to come to SFGTP2. What model/generation?
What's SFGTP2? I would post what I got to drive, but then I would need proof, I will tell after I get a camera. All I'm saying is a 1989 Toyota that costed $4000, and it's Supercharged with a Side vent behind the left door. Too bad I'm only 17... :grumpy: I did however, find it on google...

It's the red one, parked by my dads house. It sounds like a ricer civic. :D It now has 133,966 miles on it. My dad hasn't been driving it much lately. I still am too lazy to change the oil myself. :yuck:

However... the chassis needs stiffening pronto. It never seemed rigid enough ever since me and my dad saved up for it. Where can I get a roll cage for this thang? Hopefully some day I can get a motor swap, it has around 145HP or so, since the guy we bought it from had some aftermarket parts installed. It has a bit of engine wear,and the previous owner said it used to have 160HP.

So where is SFGTP2? Is that San Francisco? :nervous: If it's not too far and I turn 18 this December, maybe I can join in someday. :sly:

I'm still mad at myself for calling the MR2 a RR. I've been in too many buses, well that's my excuse anyways. :dopey:

And what does all that have to do with whether Richardo fits in a Miata or not?

What we could really ask is why on god's green earth is he using that horrid red color scheme in windows? :sly:

Thanks for your points of view guys, I even enjoyed the brief off-topicness. And strangely enough, if I couldn't get a Miata, I was going to check out the AW11! :)

What we could really ask is why on god's green earth is he using that horrid red color scheme in windows? :sly:
I was on my cousins account. :lol:
Thanks for your points of view guys, I even enjoyed the brief off-topicness. And strangely enough, if I couldn't get a Miata, I was going to check out the AW11! :)
Go for it, but the AW11 is not that easy to find depending on location. Especially the S/C versions.

There's two by me, a red automatic, (:yuck:) and a Sherwood Toning (green and tan) SC.

Lets hope they're selling. ;)

There also used to be a GT-S 86 hatch by my friends place, but he's long sold. Was in good shape too. :(

There's two by me, a red automatic, (:yuck:) and a Sherwood Toning (green and tan) SC.

Lets hope they're selling. ;)

There also used to be a GT-S 86 hatch by my friends place, but he's long sold. Was in good shape too. :(
Go for the Sherwood Toning, I always wanted that color, then slap on some bronze/brown/tan rims, like the TE37 rims, but I think they are expensive...

Having a MR2 AW11 is cool, because it's the first Japanese production car with a mid-ship engine. 👍

NOOOO!

Must... kkkeeeep... RICHARDO... frrroomm... thhe... ddaarrk... sidde!

Get the Miata. Make it a topless afternoon. And drop a rotary in it! (A nice RENESIS if you can find a wrecked RX-8. Use the RX-8 tranny, too.)

MMmm.. 250hp Miata with, if anything, a lighter nose... Mmm..

Back