Will the Logitech wheel work on PS4?

• Thread starter SKOT_FREE
  • 98 comments
SKOT_FREE
I just saw the tech specs for PS4 and noticed it will be USB 3.0, if that's the case will the Logitech steering wheel even work on it? Just wondering.

Wow, good job, GTP community. It's a simple question.

I'm not a tech person, but USB 3.0 is just a better version of USB 2.0.
What you don't understand about the compatibility of the Logitech steering wheels and GT5 (other games too, I think) is that PD had to make it compatible for GT5 themselves.

For Driveclub they said it will work with all wheels that are currently recognized by the ps3. So all Logitech wheels should be safe.

Yeah, given that PS4 is basically a very PC like X86 architecture, something that the Logitech wheels are at home with, it's pretty much just a matter of proper drivers and developer support.

In the long run, I suspect a number of games will continue to provide for this on the PS4.

A few of the guys i race with use fanatec and the thrustmaster, the other 99% use either a g27 or a dfgt, there is no way PD are that dumb to not provide support for them.......could you imagine the up the forums like Gtp? lol

As a G25 owner myself, & what with all the speculation around what wheels will be compatible on the PS4, I decided to contact customer support on the Logitech website.

Here's what I asked them:

"I own a Logitech G25 Racing Wheel. Awesome piece of kit by the way, still going strong after 5 years of use! I am part of a community of sim racers & many of us would like to know the answer to a question that is of great concern; Are you going to be supporting the DFGT, G27, & G25 wheels on the Playstation 4?"

Here's the reply that I just got:

"Thank you for contacting Logitech Customer Care.

My name is Maciej and I will gladly assist you with your request.

I am glad that you like our G25 Racing Wheel it is really great product. Unfortunately DFGT, G27, & G25 wheels are not supported by the Playstation 4. We do not plan to start supporting those racing wheels in the future, I am very sorry for that."

:(

PS: If you registered your product & have an account with Logitech, you can contact them for support here: http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/support/support-contactus

I really hope you're April Fooling us here mate...
Because my G27 is waiting for a PS4 when GT7 arrives!

Sony is saying that it is up to the game developers to include drivers for the wheels. The way Sony is making it sound is that no wheels will be supported without thegames developers making them work.

I imagine that the logitech wheels will work. There are multiple wheels that emulate logitech a drivers so the g25 should be supported.

I second that notion. Sony seems to have realized it is the console of choice for sim racing, that's why it was already disclosed that despite not working in the menus (or just the home button, I don't really remember), the T500RS will work with games.
It'd be a terrible PR move for them to keep things in the dark for quite a while, especially considering that Microsoft stated almost from the get-go that previous wheels would not be compatible.

edit: I've also just realized it's April Fools, so I'm taking OP with a whole block of salt

I really hope you're April Fooling us here mate...
Because my G27 is waiting for a PS4 when GT7 arrives!
edit: I've also just realized it's April Fools, so I'm taking OP with a whole block of salt

Sorry guys but it's not an April Fools joke. I should've posted this on a different day thinking about it. Anyway, I hope you're right about it being up to game developers & not manufacturers to write drivers for wheels, then it won't even be an issue.

Here's a screenshot of the email replay I got;

Logitech_Email.jpg

It could be true, but honestly it's still pretty early in the next-gen cycle to rule it out. First, there aren't any racing games for the PS4, so that means they can say it's not ['yet'] compatible for the PS4. Second, it is April Fool's Day. Time will tell.

Jerome

It's just that from what we know, it's up to the developers to support their drivers. Why is it suddenly not possible?

Because Logitech are not going to write any drivers for the PS4 that the developers can then use I guess. I dunno if developers will be allowed to write their own drivers for these wheels & include them in their games, I hope they are otherwise my beloved G25 won't be getting any time on Project Cars on the PS4.

:(

EDIT: I just sent them another message;

"Would you be able to answer a few more specific questions?

1) Do all these wheels need new software drivers so that they will work on the PS4?

2) If so, are you saying that Logitech will not write any software drivers for the PS4 so that these wheels will work on that console?

3) If Logitech won't write said drivers, will they allow third parties to write the drivers so that individual game developers can use them if required?

Many thanks."

Let's see what they say.

Last edited:
I was hoping to get a G27 when I get back to the US. Now I have to decide between driving on ps3 sooner or waiting for the GT7 and the Logitech wheel to release. Hopefully the t500rs isn't the only supported wheel.

Well, that's pretty much ended racing games for me on a PS... only going to get a PS4 for KHIII now. :confused:

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. Many, many times all the different departments (especially customer service) don't communicate that well, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was an issue of bad communication within Logi.

It has been reported several times that developers are in charge of deploying the actual wheel drivers in their games. Furthermore, a few months back there was a tweet by Logitech where they said they were working on PS4 drivers.

It doesn't make any sense to despair at this moment, there are no racing games for the PS4.

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. Many, many times all the different departments (especially customer service) don't communicate that well, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was an issue of bad communication within Logi.

It has been reported several times that developers are in charge of deploying the actual wheel drivers in their games. Furthermore, a few months back there was a tweet by Logitech where they said they were working on PS4 drivers.

It doesn't make any sense to despair at this moment, there are no racing games for the PS4.

That is very true, CS are sometimes kept in the dark until a product or feature is officially announced. Nevertheless, we're yet to see any PS4 game that supports a racing wheel, and I'm sure developers will try their hardest to get the current setups working, as moving new wheels isn't in their best interest.

@VBR

Take a skim though this, (more to upper middle of page) Logitech staff saying it's up to 3rd parties (ie; game devs) to provide their own drivers, with assistance (if needed) from Logitech engineers.

So while they told you that they wouldn't provide support, they are in fact true - the game devs are the ones who are supporting themselves, building their own drivers.

It's a really old article that I had bookmarked from GT5:P days.

@VBR

Take a skim though this,

Thanks for that, but it doesn't mention anything about Logitech wheels & PS4 compatibility though. I think the reply that I got was just as @Coxis said, a case of assumption by a customer service agent who really doesn't know what he was talking about. I got another reply today, my questions went unanswered & he went on about new hardware which isn't even relevant.

I think we'll just have to wait & what happens I guess.

Here is a quote form an official FAQ guide with sony's answers.

Will PS3 peripherals such as fighting sticks and steering wheels work with PS4?
"Generally speaking, no. However, at launch, users will be able to use these controllers if a specific game title allows it to be used within the game. This decision is upon the game developer and will vary from game to game."

To me that sounds like the game has to implement the support and drivers for anything the developer wants to.

Here is the link http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

This is the only official statement I have seen sony make so I imagine we will see logitech wheels working on the ps4. We just need a decent racing sim game to come out.Things change though so who knows.

To me that sounds like the game has to implement the support and drivers for anything the developer wants to.

Yep, that's what it sounds like to me too. But if Logitech don't write the drivers for their wheels to work on the PS4 in the first place, game dev's will have nothing to implement.

VBR
Yep, that's what it sounds like to me too. But if Logitech don't write the drivers for their wheels to work on the PS4 in the first place, game dev's will have nothing to implement.
Developers can just include the drivers with the game.

VBR
The drivers are written, your wheel wouldn't work on the ps3 without them. Nothing new needs to be written for the PS4 because as far as how the wheels interact with the PS4 nothing has changed from PS3.

Back