Will there ever be DLC ?

• Thread starter quickben
  • 19 comments
quickben14
Hi, apologies if this already has been answered or confirmed in the past, I've not posted here for years.

My question being: has PD abandoned the idea of DLC car packs/track packs etc ?

When GT7 came out I was, firstly, a little bit dissappointed with the number of cars compared to other titles (not so much the number, more the more notable absences from some of my favourite manufacturers) but I still had hope that this would be addressed with car "packs" via DLC, even if I had to pay for them.

I know they release 3-5 cars almost every month, which is good, but it's a bit of a drip feed when I want full meal, if you know what I mean.

Trying hard not to come across as entitled here, I do enjoy the game (I bought a PS5 + VR2 just for GT7) but I'm finding less and less enthusiasm to play these days.

People are just having their thoughts, hopes and opinions.

To me GT (no matter which one) always was a finished product and I am happy not having (the opportunity) to buy any additional content that is not available for free at the moment it is available at all.
Largely this is because I dont play any DLC for games that wasnt available at the time when I purchased the game, though there are other factors also.

I could see a world where something like Pikes Peak that is completely its own thing is DLC.

But there won't be any content DLC (cars or tracks) that could ever be used in Sport Mode. Both because they don't want to split the playerbase based on whether you own content, and because they don't want the negative feedback from the top drivers if Sport Mode (especially GTWS) becomes in any way pay-to-win.

Hi, apologies if this already has been answered or confirmed in the past, I've not posted here for years.

My question being: has PD abandoned the idea of DLC car packs/track packs etc ?

When GT7 came out I was, firstly, a little bit dissappointed with the number of cars compared to other titles (not so much the number, more the more notable absences from some of my favourite manufacturers) but I still had hope that this would be addressed with car "packs" via DLC, even if I had to pay for them.

I know they release 3-5 cars almost every month, which is good, but it's a bit of a drip feed when I want full meal, if you know what I mean.

Trying hard not to come across as entitled here, I do enjoy the game (I bought a PS5 + VR2 just for GT7) but I'm finding less and less enthusiasm to play these days.
All content not in the original game is DLC, however paid DLC is incredibly unlikely at this point. PD seems unwilling to divide the playerbase in this paywalled manner these days; we've seen nothing of the kind since GT Sport launched (although GTS did allow you to buy cars with real money, the cars weren't restricted to this method of delivery alone) and that's pretty much seven years ago at this point - more if you count the Beta.

All content not in the original game is DLC, however paid DLC is incredibly unlikely at this point. PD seems unwilling to divide the playerbase in this paywalled manner these days; we've seen nothing of the kind since GT Sport launched (although GTS did allow you to buy cars with real money, the cars weren't restricted to this method of delivery alone) and that's pretty much seven years ago at this point - more if you count the Beta.
There was the Lewis Hamilton Time Trial paid for DLC in GT Sport. I appreciate this wasn't strictly new content and just used existing cars/tracks, but I'd welcome something similar to that in GT7. The fact it was actually challenging made it pretty good fun.

Maybe we'll get a Lando Norris TT event with a quick time event DJ mini game at the end.

I agree with @Famine ; the likelihood of paid DLC for GT7 is very unlikely. I for one am grateful for that.

My honest hope is that PD continues the approach of providing free updates every month or so for GT7, GT8 and in perpetuity.

My honest concern is they read the flames in forums (this one included) and decide not to provide updates for free based on the negative feedback.

That said, when they do decide to go the paid DLC route . . . I'll understand. And at that point, the fanbase will have nobody to blame but said fanbase.

Bad behavior - rewarded - is good behavior.

Granted, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

All content not in the original game is DLC,
I guess most people would assume that DLC suggest being optional content where no download is requires if one doesnt intent to play the content in question instead of refering to a "regular and likely scheduled game update" which propably only does some fixing or rebalancing, but may bring new content (as usually is done to keep players interested).

I hope there will be paid dlc for a few reasons:
  • Users could "vote with their wallet": individual cars, cars pack, individual tracks, track packs, cars + tracks packs recreating real life events/series -> better selling dlc is what users want, not so good selling dlc (VGTs? :D) is what should be treated with lower priority or not included in future updates (or even gt games at all)
  • additional revenue for pd: they could get more sales/a bigger budget (hello lotus!)
  • themed updates

I'd be more than OK with a paid DLC akin to the Lewis Hamilton DLC for Sport, where it's a relatively unique experience that has a minimal effect (if any) on any other mode of the game. For example, I could see the Pikes Peak Hillclimb being DLC, where you could be tasked to beat certain times with certain cars, much like the Goodwood Hillclimb in GT6. You could even specifically be tasked with the Suzuki Escudo, Audi Sport Quattro, and the Volkswagen ID.R, perhaps among others. Heck, the rewards themselves could be things you could get even without the DLC, such as credits or cars, unlike the LH44 edition of the Mercedes-AMG VGT.

Otherwise, I think the current approach of cars, tracks, and other content (like mission sets) being entirely complimentary is perfect.

Last edited:
I dont expect any paid dlc, but i would be ok if pd made like spec lll paid dlc with 15-20 cars 2 new tracks more awaited features, for like $25.

I dont expect any paid dlc, but i would be ok if pd made like spec lll paid dlc with 15-20 cars 2 new tracks more awaited features, for like $25.

And those tracks and cars would not be used in sport mode because are money gated. That isn’t good idea.

And those tracks and cars would not be used in sport mode because are money gated. That isn’t good idea.
I am all for free content, dont get me wrong there, but if we want more up to date supercars or race cars and more tracks that might have expensive licencing,
We have to consider the option with some paid dlc. I would be ok with that if we got a good amount of modern supercars/hypercars, sedans and muscle cars.

I don't think there will be paid DLC for GT7. If they wanted to do this they would have started much earlier, but not after the game is out for 2+ years.

As for GT8: Well, it's possible, but I still hope they don't go that route. Honestly, I don't like it and I just don't wanna see something like this:

1000013282.png

But: Since the trend nowadays is to make more money with games through additional content, I hope they learn from GT7 and go another route. I'm ok with paying for cars (and also tracks) with real money, but I would prefer in game purchases over separate DLCs. As long as the prices are reasonable ofc. I have no problem with paying 5-10 Euros/Dollars for a nice car or track, but that's pretty much also my limit. Maybe 15 for a track if it's somehow special (like Nordschleife).

Paid dlc is very unlikely. New tracks are out of the question so not to cause split in the community between payers and not payers when those new tracks appear in multiplayer races and online time trials.
The only thing would see them do would be only cars as it would not affect the community as much as tracks.
I could see them making a "lotus comeback" paid dlc with 10 or more lotus cars (obviously assuming PD and Lotus could or would want to reach an agreement).
It would make sense to me, and it would solve the "why is lotus not in gt anymore" problem.

Back