Winning Chili Pepper Races

• Thread starter dabz343
  • 37 comments
They'll dive down the inside if you leave the door open, for example.
Nah, the AI still doesnt make any better decision, the only difference is that the AI is using full throttle.
Still making mistakes, still uses preprogrammed behaviour.
Weird thing is, though, is that they turned in back to back 2:05 laps after their pit and one of them ended up finishing just 7 seconds behind me. My pace did not slow. I'm not sure if that was rubber banding or what, but it didn't feel natural.
Ater pitting and fresh tyres, your laptimes are faster because you carry less fuel. and have full traction again.
I agree with you that they just have faster cars than we do.
That one is very hard to proof, because outside fo the BoP races where we expect them to have identical cars, we simply dont know the setup AI is using.

Ater pitting and fresh tyres, your laptimes are faster because you carry less fuel. and have full traction again.
I wouldn't expect them to run 5+ seconds faster per lap than their best laps towards the beginning of the race.

After some weird experiences at Deep Forest on the GTCup Gr.3 event (3/5 peppers) I tried a small experiment :

In each difficulty level, I launched 5 races and parked my car on the side immediately and let the race end.

Here are the results :
Easy :
  • Medium best lap time : 1:31.662
  • Medium total race time : 10min50

Normal :
  • Medium best lap time : 1:30.989
  • Medium total race time : 10min45

Hard :
  • Medium best lap time : 1:29.253
  • Medium total race time : 10min37

We can see that with each level of difficulty, AI get a little better.

But I did previously 3 times this race on normal difficulty, driving all along and I observed very different results.
First time with the Porsche RSR, my best lap was 1:29.0XX, finished 3s behind Wong, and 10s before 3rd. Wong was lapping in the 1:29 every lap. Race time was 10min03
Second time with the Huracan (to try to match Wong's), but Wong was not there, my best laps where in the 1:28.5XX and the fastest AI had 1:27.5XX laps, I managed to take the lead but was checking behind me and lap times and brake too late at T1 in lap 6. Finished 4th. Race time 10min30
Third time, the Huracan again, best lap in the 1:29.0XX, best AI (Schwab I think) was doing 1:29s as best laps too, managed to pass him and finished with 7s margin. Don't remember race time.

I find weird that AI is much better when the player does better lap times. Even on hard difficulty no AI beat the 1:27.5XX lap time from the fastest AI in normal difficulty when I was chasing him. Race times are also different, with 15-30s slower times on normal difficulty if player is slow.

I need to do some more races while driving, on easy and hard to see how AI changes its speed and reacts to player challenging it.

After some weird experiences at Deep Forest on the GTCup Gr.3 event (3/5 peppers) I tried a small experiment :

In each difficulty level, I launched 5 races and parked my car on the side immediately and let the race end.

Here are the results :
Easy :
  • Medium best lap time : 1:31.662
  • Medium total race time : 10min50

Normal :
  • Medium best lap time : 1:30.989
  • Medium total race time : 10min45

Hard :
  • Medium best lap time : 1:29.253
  • Medium total race time : 10min37

We can see that with each level of difficulty, AI get a little better.

But I did previously 3 times this race on normal difficulty, driving all along and I observed very different results.
First time with the Porsche RSR, my best lap was 1:29.0XX, finished 3s behind Wong, and 10s before 3rd. Wong was lapping in the 1:29 every lap. Race time was 10min03
Second time with the Huracan (to try to match Wong's), but Wong was not there, my best laps where in the 1:28.5XX and the fastest AI had 1:27.5XX laps, I managed to take the lead but was checking behind me and lap times and brake too late at T1 in lap 6. Finished 4th. Race time 10min30
Third time, the Huracan again, best lap in the 1:29.0XX, best AI (Schwab I think) was doing 1:29s as best laps too, managed to pass him and finished with 7s margin. Don't remember race time.

I find weird that AI is much better when the player does better lap times. Even on hard difficulty no AI beat the 1:27.5XX lap time from the fastest AI in normal difficulty when I was chasing him. Race times are also different, with 15-30s slower times on normal difficulty if player is slow.

I need to do some more races while driving, on easy and hard to see how AI changes its speed and reacts to player challenging it.
Back before they patched the ability to see the AI lap times, there was a YouTuber doing this exact investigation (not sure if it was the same race series). I can't remember who it was but they proved behind doubt that as you get faster, the CPU starts to record faster laps. If you ease off, or make a mistake, the AI will start driving slowly again.

I think it was Doughtinator or Roflwaffle

I tried a race in hard mode tonight, oh what a coincidence, AI is doing 1:27s laps again... only 2s faster than if player is last... a bit annoying... should try in easy to see how much faster AI gets, but I have enough for today.

Back