WRC, ERC and national rallying 2024Rally 

Neuville is going to be very fast as well. I wouldn't count him out, as long as he can get the rhythm on Friday. Ogier will certainly be a factor as well. I wouldn't rule out any of the Fords either.

Absolutely. However none of them can win the title, they can almost certainly influence it though.

I think we all know Kalle has the title all but clinched. I was talking about winning the rally.

He’s definitely in pole position but still a lot of points out there. If Evans turns it in he can be very fast on tarmac.

He’s definitely in pole position but still a lot of points out there. If Evans turns it in he can be very fast on tarmac.
All Kalle has to do is outscore Elfyn in CER to clinch it. I'm not saying Elfyn can't come back, but it is exceedingly unlikely. At least it will be an equal fight on tarmac!

All Kalle has to do is outscore Elfyn in CER to clinch it. I'm not saying Elfyn can't come back, but it is exceedingly unlikely. At least it will be an equal fight on tarmac!

Look, I’m British alright? 😅. Elfyn can do it! We haven’t had a British champion since Richard Burns, I’ll hold on to any glimmer of hope. 😆

Look, I’m British alright? 😅. Elfyn can do it! We haven’t had a British champion since Richard Burns, I’ll hold on to any glimmer of hope. 😆
Yeah, and I'm American. We don't have a rally winner, much less a WRC Champion! I'm not saying he can't do it, just not very likely. It will be an amazing fight next weekend though! At least someone not named Sebastien is winning the title.

2024 calendar confirmed:
1. Monte Carlo - 25-28 January
2. Sweden - 15-18 February
3. Safari Rally Kenya - 28-31 March
4. Croatia - 18-21 April
5. Portugal - 9-12 May
6. Italy - 30 May-2 June
7. Poland - 27-30 June
8. Latvia - 18-21 July
9. Finland - 1-4 August
10. Greece - 5-8 September
11. Chile - 26-29 September
12. Central Europe Rally - 31 October-3 November
13. Japan - 21-24 November

So Mexico and Estonia out, Poland and Latvia in. Kenya moves to March, just in time for rainy season.

2020 still gives me nightmares. It was his, and somehow it slipped away from an almost unassailable position.

The late 90s/early 00s British glory years seem so long ago but I'd love Elfyn to win one. He's not a million miles away. Kalle, like Loeb and Ogier before him, isn't necessarily much quicker than the others but he's so damn consistent.

Last edited:
2020 still gives me nightmares. It was his, and somehow it slipped away from an almost unassailable position.

The late 90s/early 00s British glory years seem so long ago but I'd love Elfyn to win one. He's not a million miles away. Kalle, like Loeb and Ogier before him, isn't necessarily much quicker than the others but he's so damn consistent.

It was gut wrenching to watch him go off, genuinely heartbroken when that happened.

I really hope he can do it, probably wont happen this season but it would boost WRC so much in the UK, to finally have a British champion for only the 3rd time ever, first since 2001, would mean so much.

It was gut wrenching to watch him go off, genuinely heartbroken when that happened.

I really hope he can do it, probably wont happen this season but it would boost WRC so much in the UK, to finally have a British champion for only the 3rd time ever, first since 2001, would mean so much.
Yeah, it was hard to keep watching after that happened. Felt so sorry for him, and us, (the British fans).

Tough couple days rallying so far with the mixed conditions causing drivers lots of problems.

Evans fell victim to this on SS11 and went too quick into a turn and hit a barn, his championship hopes now resting with Rovanpera who just needs to finish to claim the title and has duly gone into protection mode since the incident.

Last edited:
Spectator view of Lappi crashing out of day 2. Shame as he would have been right up there as his pace was good, especially if you trade his 10 second jump start into account.

Kalle Rovanpera is officially a double world champion! Great season from him and held his nerve after Evans’ off yesterday.

He is the first back to back champion not called Sebastian since Tommi Makinen in 1998/99.

Thierry Neuville wins the inaugural Central European Rally, ahead of Rovanpera and Tanak in 3rd. Evans gets a consolation in winning the power stage.

The rumour mill is whirring and the focus is on Oliver Solberg. M-Sport have been linked with a possible move for him to take him back to Rally1 for 2024 after being dropped by Hyundai at the end of 2022.

He’s matured a lot in a year, needs to rein it in sometimes but he has something special. I think the Hyundai Rally1 move was too soon and they were trying to force a Rovanpera type thing and rivalry which was never going to happen. Plus M-Sport could use some sponsor cash and Oliver brings that as well.

Would we see a Solberg/Formaux line up at M-Sport next season?

In other 2024 news, Toyota have confirmed their update package will launch at round 3 at the earliest, wanting a status quo and focus on tyre at Monte Carlo. No details on what the upgrade entails but with only 2 development chips to play in 2024, down from 3 in 2023, it’s not likely to be minor.

The rumour mill is whirring and the focus is on Oliver Solberg. M-Sport have been linked with a possible move for him to take him back to Rally1 for 2024 after being dropped by Hyundai at the end of 2022.

He’s matured a lot in a year, needs to rein it in sometimes but he has something special. I think the Hyundai Rally1 move was too soon and they were trying to force a Rovanpera type thing and rivalry which was never going to happen. Plus M-Sport could use some sponsor cash and Oliver brings that as well.

Would we see a Solberg/Formaux line up at M-Sport next season?

In other 2024 news, Toyota have confirmed their update package will launch at round 3 at the earliest, wanting a status quo and focus on tyre at Monte Carlo. No details on what the upgrade entails but with only 2 development chips to play in 2024, down from 3 in 2023, it’s not likely to be minor.
This has been speculated on in the rally forum I lurk at since Tanak announced his departure, but the consensus there is that M-Sport and Oliver are incompatible due to the Red Bull/Monster sponsorship conflict.

Of course from Red Bull F1 we all know how contracts are watertight, unbreakable LOL. I like M-Sport but worry about anyone going there with the state they are in. Hopefully they can get back on track. But honestly I would much rather see a Formeaux/Solberg lineup rather than Formeaux/Loubet.

I also like Oliver. I was a big fan of his father and even got a handshake and salutation from him at Rally Argentina 2002. I hope Oliver gets a ride but he needs to calm down a bit. This year he showed more speed and maturity but still made lots of mistakes.

And then there is the question of the lingering rumors of Kalle going part time or something.

This has been speculated on in the rally forum I lurk at since Tanak announced his departure, but the consensus there is that M-Sport and Oliver are incompatible due to the Red Bull/Monster sponsorship conflict.

Of course from Red Bull F1 we all know how contracts are watertight, unbreakable LOL. I like M-Sport but worry about anyone going there with the state they are in. Hopefully they can get back on track. But honestly I would much rather see a Formeaux/Solberg lineup rather than Formeaux/Loubet.

I also like Oliver. I was a big fan of his father and even got a handshake and salutation from him at Rally Argentina 2002. I hope Oliver gets a ride but he needs to calm down a bit. This year he showed more speed and maturity but still made lots of mistakes.

And then there is the question of the lingering rumors of Kalle going part time or something.

Haven’t seen the Kalle rumours, why would he want to go part time?

Haven’t seen the Kalle rumours, why would he want to go part time?
Some sources cite finishing his mandatory military service while others cite a desire to do other things, like Formula Drift and other racing. Basically the rumor mill says Kalle is burned out after rallying for so many years and the WRC schedule is too long and strict for him.

It seems unthinkable that a youngster at the top of his game with the WRC world at his feet would be thinking about retirement already, but who knows, they're just rumors for now so take it all with a pinch of salt.

Everything points to Max retiring relatively early from F1 as well so who knows what goes through the minds of these youngsters.

Great to see Heikki Kovalainen competing in Rally Japan this weekend as he did last year, he competed in the Japanese rally championship but alway last cool to see ex F1 drivers in the WRC categories.

Takes Katstutas father is also competing at the wheel of the new Toyota GR Yaris Rally2 and legendary Subaru driver Toshi Arai is also competing in a WRX STI.

The first run of the super specials took place this morning (GMT)/last night Japan time with the main stages kicking off in about 4 hours time. With the increasingly infamous Isegamis Tunnel stage featuring a high speed narrow tunnel section.

Also, anyone here who plays EA WRC, tomorrows itinerary features the Lake Mikawako stage and day 3 features the Nenoue stage (named Nenoue Plateau in the game).

Last edited:
The first proper stage of the event has been red flagged after incidents for Dani Sordo and possibly Adrien Formaux as well. Of the 6 cars that made it through, Elfyn Evans was the quickest by 4 seconds over Seb Ogier. Taka Katstuta was flying through the first 2 sectors before having an incident and crawling to the finish 2 and a half minutes off the pace.

Edit, confirmed Formaux went off at the same place as Katstuta and Sordo.

Last edited:
Fourmeaux I believe he only stopped to check on Dani. I don't think he crashed.

What a shame for Taka. What does he mean by "I had no info on that corner"? His notes were bad? Gravel crew missed something?

Wild SS2.

Looks like Fourmeaux did crash. Three cars in a row off at the same spot promo yes the red flag for security.

SS2 canceled. SS3 in danger of cancellation, too.

Fourmeaux I believe he only stopped to check on Dani. I don't think he crashed.

What a shame for Taka. What does he mean by "I had no info on that corner"? His notes were bad? Gravel crew missed something?

Wild SS2.

Sounds like the safety crew missed something, but it would be unusual for 3 of them to miss something, conditions must have altered through there in some way.

SS3 is underway, Rovanpera currently halfway through.

What a day of drama! Sordo, Formaux, Neuville all out, Lappi way off the pace, Katstuta in the wars (although setting fastest stage times in the afternoon). SS4 was cancelled due to the inclement weather conditions grounding the medical helicopters (standard FIA rule).

Standings after SS7:
1. Evans 1hr 23min 20.7sec
2. Ogier +50.9sec
3. Rovanperä +2min 7.4sec
4. Mikkelsen +2min 56.3sec (WRC2)
5. Gryazin +3min 44.3sec (WRC2)
6. Lappi +3min 46.3sec

Only 3 rally 1 cars at top end of leaderboard 👀, oh boy, not a good look for the wrc!
I wouldn't say that, can't predict losing 3 Rally1 cars in 2 stages, otherwise it would be 9 in the top 10 most likely. Good exposure for the WRC2 cars too, much better coverage for them :D .

Plus Heikki Kovalainen is in the top 10 which is cool to see.

Bizarre red flag on SS9 after Neuville came across the zero car mid stage.

FIA say it was triggered by spectators standing in an unsafe position, car stopped and asked them to move and the stage was safe to commence.

None of that however explains why the zero car was parked on the stage, very strange incident.

Stage did resume after a 20 minute delay with those already on the stage (Neuville, Katstuta, Tanak and Lappi) getting nominal stage times whilst everyone else could complete it in full.

Toyota hold all 3 podium places at the end of Saturday, Evans holding over a minute lead on Ogier who is 30 seconds clear of Rovanpera.

84km of stages on Sunday to come.

Elfyn Evans wins the final round of the year in Japan, comprehensively over his team mates Ogier and Rovanpera. Neuville and Katstuta would probably have been a lot closer had they not gone off the road.

Neuville gets a consolation with a dominant power stage win though.

Also a further update to the strange incident on SS13 which saw the stage red flagged after Neuville came across the Zero car. The clerk of the course has been reprimanded by the FIA for starting the stage without ensuring it was safe to do so. Zero car A failed to follow directions given at 3 safety briefings to not stop on stage and the clerk of the course failed to check where zero car A was before starting the stage.

Last edited:
Back