Wreckfest 2 announced

• Thread starter appu
  • 46 comments
Watched this trailer as it premiered on the THQ Nordic Digital Showcase and was pretty hyped and a bit surprised to see it! I got Wreckfest for Xbox One back in Christmas of 2022 and it's very seldom I ever fall in love with a game right away, but Wreckfest was one of the few I did and that feeling never completely went away for me afterward. Being a dirty driver growing up and enjoying games like Destruction Derby and NASCAR Rumble, this game connected with me very well. It was the best racing game I had played in MANY years, so much so that it made my top 10 list of favorite racing games only months after getting it and that's not a title I give lightly, but it honestly earned its spot and I still stand by what I said about it. If we count the time I accidently booted into it on Christmas day, I played it 6 months straight, which is VERY unnatural for me.

That said, I am pretty happy to see we're getting a sequel because for a while, I feared it would be a one-and-done game, but I am pleased to see it's not! :) I never pre-order games these days, in fact, if we ignore the time I pre-ordered my Star Wars Edition PS4 and the games that came with it in 2015, the last game I pre-ordered was GT6 and that was in 2013. However, provided I have no real-life complications, this game will be one I pre-order for and I doubt I am going to regret it!
Day one of course, but what a terrible trailer that was :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yea, the trailer didn't do much for me either, I think my excitement was more so about the announcement of a sequel than the actual trailer. Hopefully what we'll see in the future will be more revealing.

Last edited:
My issue with the idea of Wreckfest 2 was always "how do you improve on perfection?"

I still don't know, but we'll find out now!
With the career not including DLC stuff and the later Mod-support in part 1 I would appreciate a function for individual selfmade championships!

I really enjoyed (and occasionally still do) Wreckfest, so I'm looking forward to more news about this. The trailer didn't show an awful lot, but for a long time until Wreckfest released, I was struggle to scratch that Destruction Derby itch.

Last edited:
As much as I loved Wreckfest, it wasn't flawless, and some things that I think Wreckfest 2 can improve on are:
1. More demolition derbies in career. This one is a bit opinionated, but when I played the career, I felt like the derbies weren't utilized enough in there. I get it's a racing game, but I think more derbies would be great because WF1 just didn't have enough of them in my opinion.
2. More track variety in career. Given how Wreckfest development went, I can imagine why this happened, but I found myself racing on the same tracks a bit too often, with Dirt Devil Stadium being a prime example of this. I don't mind playing the same track more than once as long as it's not too frequent, but having more variety in track selection would certainly make it a bit more interesting to play. Fortunately, I think this won't be much of an issue this time around.
3. More intuitive track design. Their track designs are great, don't get me wrong, but there are some tracks, namely Boulder Bank Circuit, that have what look like alternate pathways that are not blocked off, but in truth, they're not and you'd be going out of bounds for driving on them. The game doesn't exactly do the best job at letting you know they're off-limits and this can trick up new players who don't yet know the tracks well because it did for me when I was new to it. Just adding a simple barrier that can't be broken could remedy this for existing tracks and hopefully any new ones won't have anything like this to begin with.
4. Make the damage meter above the AI more noticeable. Something that bothered me was how I would have to get a bit close to the AI to see how bad their damage was and I often found myself flying by racers that I could've easily wrecked but didn't know until it was too late. Maybe there's a reason for this I am not seeing, but I hope it gets addressed in the sequel.
5. Speed up the fade transition in the menus. Okay this is a nitpick, but something that has been bugging me as of late is how when you transition from one menu to the next, I found the fade effect just takes slightly too long, and it's especially annoying when you're constantly going in and out of the menus.
6. No overpriced cars. Not a huge problem for this game, and I don't mind having to work a bit to get some decent cars, but the Hotbomb was horrendously overpriced in WF1. I understand they wanted to award long-time players, but this just doesn't justify its price tag in my opinion and it didn't need to be that much. Don't get me wrong, I want the Hotbomb to return, but not the huge price tag that came with it nor do I want any other car to be like this.
7. Make the preorder bonus cars available later on. WF1 did do this for the Bandit Ripper V8 on the PC version, but the console ports for some reason excluded it. This is unfortunate for people like me who got into it late because it meant they'd never get the car since they didn't preorder it. Hopefully, this won't happen again.
8. Make the unique tournament events available in single player. Something I really liked was the unique game modes they had in WF1's tournament, like this one. However, something that always bothered me is you could only play them at certain times of the year when they became available and when the servers eventually shut down, that means we'll never get to experience them again. This is unfortunate and I am hoping they'll make them available for players to play at any time instead of being an online-only feature that can only be played at certain times of the year. I've already mentioned this a couple of times to one of the devs in the Discord server, so I am hoping it will happen in this new entry. 🤞
I am sure I could name more, but this is what comes to mind for me and what I think could improve the game.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed the ps5 upgrade of the original game (after 100 hrs plus on ps4), 60fps gave it a new lease of life, will be grabbing on day one for sure. Full of anticipation.
I’m definitley going to install WF1 on my PS5 after this announcement. The increase in frame rate is very tempting, as well improved loading times.

I just might even start a new save file like I did with Mudrunner. The 60fps update certainly gave MR a new life (now 150+ hours shared between two accounts).

MXH
I’m definitley going to install WF1 on my PS5 after this announcement. The increase in frame rate is very tempting, as well improved loading times.

I just might even start a new save file like I did with Mudrunner. The 60fps update certainly gave MR a new life (now 150+ hours shared between two accounts).
The 60fps is a big difference you can really dial in the steering (very useful when the trackings gone out of wack), and the ps5 insta-load is perfect for those turn 1 pile ups that can happen on the higher settings. Well worth the £10 upgrade...

Last edited:
Wreckfest is amazing on PS5 but (last time I tried anyway), the X/S upgrade has lots of problems not least a stuttery frame rate. Oddly they never really got that right and improved the performance, not that I remember anyway.

I hope they improve the car sounds some and increase incentive to wreck others by giving points or extra moola to buy parts. Flatout 2 was great for that, smash thru the environment to get nitrous or crash into others to get nitrous. I faintly remember being able to win even if you didn’t get first because you racked up so many wreckage points? Could be wrong though.

Never played the first one until a couple of days ago and ermmm, where the hell have I been? I’d obviously heard good things but never seemed to appeal for some reason, and it’s a looker too, everything on ultra (PC) graphics wise and it’s quite gorgeous in places, runs buttery smooth , cars feel fantastically weighted, not had this much fun racing with a controller since Driveclub🙌🏻🙌🏻

Never played the first one until a couple of days ago and ermmm, where the hell have I been? I’d obviously heard good things but never seemed to appeal for some reason, and it’s a looker too, everything on ultra (PC) graphics wise and it’s quite gorgeous in places, runs buttery smooth , cars feel fantastically weighted, not had this much fun racing with a controller since Driveclub🙌🏻🙌🏻
Fantastic aint it on pc bumped up, smooth etc.. i love it...

With the career not including DLC stuff and the later Mod-support in part 1 I would appreciate a function for individual selfmade championships!
Agreed. While custom races was and still is my jam and where I spend most of my time in Wreckfest, being able to create your custom championship is sorely missing. I'm crossing my fingers that this feature will make it into WF2.

The 60fps is a big difference you can really dial in the steering (very useful when the trackings gone out of wack), and the ps5 insta-load is perfect for those turn 1 pile ups that can happen on the higher settings. Well worth the £10 upgrade...
I cannot express how happy I'm for the quick loading times :lol: Cetainly saves a lot of frustration.

This will make me buy a next generation just to get. I might not be a day one person but still have over 650 hours.

This will make me buy a next generation just to get. I might not be a day one person but still have over 650 hours.
I played nearly 100 hours on ps4 then got the ps5 upgrade and it made me put nealry as many hours into the same game again, this is one game that benefited hugely with the next gen update so I'm expect great things for number 2

Back