BESTuners Gallery | Updated October 28th, 2006 - DB9 by ChromeBallz

• Thread starter BESTuners
  • 585 comments
Hi, nice one speedy. Well done on getting in.

Overall the article is pretty good but there are a couple of points to improve upon.
Firstly there should be a greater sense of passion, and maybe less of a focus on the technical parts and more on the driving experience.

The pictures are very good for non PSed ones.

identti

As I said in the try out thread I like the report (and feel we need a balance of technical and emotion based reports so as to appeal to as many people as we can), you got my vote then and now.

As has been said, for non-PS work, the shots are great; now we just need to get rid of that black bar. :sly:

👍

Scaff

Driver: .Duck.

BESTuners Chevrolet SSR ’03 Report:

Deep Forest Laptime: 1’14.525

NOTE: Review tested with S2s, laptime tested with R4s.

Exterior:
What do you get when you breed a convertible and a truck, and then breed the offspring with a hot rod? The SSR, AKA the butt-ugly useless “thing”. You really can’t haul squat. You can’t tow your travel trailer, nor can you haul a lot of people (unless you strap them on the roof :lol: ). And speaking of hauling crap,, a Dodge Ram will comfortably seat 5 people, and it can tow my trailer with ease. And it has a HEMI!!!

I feel sorry for the people with the hardtop version of it, since the only cool thing about it is now gone. What a waste of 42,000 bucks. Of course, if someone gave it to me, I’ll gladly drive it, but if I have 50,000 to burn, I’ll spend it on a ‘Vette, thank you. It does all that an SSR can do, plus I’ll be lapping double digits around it on the track, too.

That aside, I decided to see if it can handle halfway decently and put up a good time at the official BESTuners track, Deep Forest.

The Good…:
Well, considering it weighs 2000 kilos, it handles well. It has enough horses under the hood (550) to make it get up and go and put up a reasonable Laptime at Midfield. It did better than my Charger Super Bee with 700 HP. Of course, you have to let off the pedal some to make it around tighter corners, but hey, I’m impressed.

The top speed is fair, seeing how it can reach enough speed for atheists to pray to God. The braking is good, too. I can nearly slam on the brakes later than normal, and with R4s the braking is likened to an LM car.

…And the bad:
Ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly, did I say “ugly” enough? This hunk of junk is probably the most repulsive car (or truck) to ever touch the pavement. And even though it has 550 HP, it doesn’t have enough get-up-and-go. Yes, it can go fast, real fast, but it’s a lot longer than normal to reach that “real fast” stage. And the engine sound is the pits. I don’t know about you, but that sound annoys me to hell and back. Earplugs, anyone?

Conclusion:
For a truck, it’s okay. I mean, if you have millions upon millions of credits, than it’s worth a try, but there’s many cars out there that are a lot better, and some for nearly half the price. Get the Tacoma or the F-150 if you want a good truck for the Truck Series.

The Set-up:
Chevrolet SSR Set-up

Thanks for reading, and please comment!!

Nice thread 👍 !
I feel like reading a car magazine :).

Since this is best tuners, why don't you hire/recruit profesional driver to rank/comment the car? Keiichi Tsuchiya, Motoharu Kurosawa, and Manabu Orido would be fantastic, but I'm sure they wouldn't play GT4 because they already busy with the real car. So, I think anyone else that has reputation as ace driver in this forum would be enough.

The downside of this idea is, bad review can upsets the tuners.

identti
Hi, nice one speedy. Well done on getting in.

Overall the article is pretty good but there are a couple of points to improve upon.
Firstly there should be a greater sense of passion, and maybe less of a focus on the technical parts and more on the driving experience.

The pictures are very good for non PSed ones.

identti

Thanks!! As I told ekmatt9, I felt like this report was really incomplete. And you guys noticed it too. This one was just a start. But as for a lack of passion I do agree. This was more of a technical report. I guess I could go both ways in the future though.

Driver: ekMatt9 !!

BESTuners Nissan Silvia K's Aero S14 '93 Report:

Deep Forest Raceway Time: 1'15. 196

Exterior:
Well...This is a good platform to start off with. I like the exterior. I used to want a S14 in real life. I want the JDM S14 front end...But then, I've seen too many and thought, what the heck, that's ugly. So now I like these kinds of S14's. Really nice body lines and curves and etc. I put the last set of BBS rims from the company in GT Auto...They show off the car really nice :) I like the badge on the hood in the middle. I can't quite read out what it says, but who cares...It looks nice :)

Pro's on the track:
I like this car on the track. If you turn, it turns. The problem is understeer :( It's not big and stuff...It's just, it comes in turns when you don't need. I ran really good consistent laps on certain tracks (Trial Mountain, Deep Forest Raceway, Tsukuba Circuit (Just to name a few :sly: ) And I was happy of myself for it too. When I first drove the car in the game, I thought, crap, this will be slow because it had less than 500 hp...But I was wrong. I extended the gear box a little bit. And messed around with the LSD...But ultimately...The LSD was like my usual set up...I couldn't find a set up that didn't have the tires screech when you accelerate.

Con's on the track:
UNDERSTEER is the problem like with any car. I like this car, but I wish I can raise the HP a bit more to about 550bhp or 600bhp. It's slow in corners, but that's because it has turbo, and by the time the PSI rises, it's already 1 second, which can result in a loss if you were racing. Like I said, I hate turbo, yes, it's a beast, but the lags suck. NA is Best!

The Conclusion:
Eh, it's alright. I prefer a 2004 Volkswagen Golf GTi 1.8t in real life now or even in the game if it had one than this S13. It's not my favorite car. It was when I was driving it. I ran about 15 straight laps in Tsukuba for about 20 minutes. I forgot I even was driving the 240sx. It's a Nismo beast ;)

My Settings:

Horsepower: 416 bhp

Torque: 377 ft. / tq.

Parts to Buy:
  • Racing Exhaust
  • Sports Chip
  • Original Turbine Kit (From Tuner Village)
  • Racing Intercooler
  • Racing Brakes
  • Brake Balance Controller
  • Racing Medium Tires (R3's)
  • Racing Suspension
  • Full Customize Transmission
  • Triple - Plate Clutch
  • Racing Flywheel
  • Carbon Driveshaft
  • Full Customize LSD
  • Stage 3 Weight Reduction
  • Rigidity Refresher
  • Port Polish
  • Engine Balancing
  • Stiffness

Suspension:
Spring Rate - 6.0 | 8.0
Ride Height - 96 | 96
Shock (Bound) - 7 | 7
Shock (Rebound) - 7 | 7
Camber Angle - 2.5 | 0.5
Toe Angle - 0 | -1
Stabilizers - 4 | 5

Transmission:
How ever you want...

LSD:
Initial - 5
Acceleration - 5
Deceleration - 5

Brake Controller:
Front - 5
Rear - 6

Driving Aids:
ASM Oversteer - 3
ASM Understeer - 5
TCS Controller - 3

Please enjoy y0!​
Oh, and rate my pics too :)

@ ekMatt - I do, it's a good report. It's about time you submit a report. :P

@ sucahyo - That's a good idea, but I think we should let the member who made the set-up report it. People have their own "voice" when it comes to writing (or typing in this case), and having one single person do it would make each report sound monotone after a while.

Ram-Rod
Did not want to use up a PM. I did not understand the first post on how to get in. Could someone explane it here?
Look HERE.
You've been here for 5 1/2 months, so if you give us a good report, then your christmas present is a BESTuner membership. :sly:

Seriously, if you give us a review with pics and a set-up, then we'll post a poll up for viewers to vote on whether to let you in. If you get a lot of positive votes (and not a lot of negative votes), then we'll let you in. And if you vote for yourself, then you're disqualified.

.Duck.
@ sucahyo - That's a good idea, but I think we should let the member who made the set-up report it. People have their own "voice" when it comes to writing (or typing in this case), and having one single person do it would make each report sound monotone after a while.
What I means is we let other people do the critics too, not just the tuner, this way we can get many review for one setting. The reviewer can be more than one person, maybe we the audience can have the chance too. Each setting can be reviewed more than once. If necessary, we can make poll for the setting/car.
The review should mention the handling, caracteristic, etc. in spesific corner or track point.

sucahyo
What I means is we let other people do the critics too, not just the tuner, this way we can get many review for one setting. The reviewer can be more than one person, maybe we the audience can have the chance too.
No, the audience thing would suck. You may as well as let everyone become members. Example, you get some n00b who doesn't know what he's talking about, and there goes the thread's neatness down the toilet. :yuck:

sucahyo
Each setting can be reviewed more than once. If necessary, we can make poll for the setting/car.
If we were to make a seperate thread for each poll, it would make the forum look very, very cluttered. And since this stupid forum is completely dead, seeing how only the 300 MPH thread and my workshop are the only things creating buzz around here. But then again, we may as well do what your recommending, since it may give some more life into this thread. :indiff:

sucahyo
The review should mention the handling, caracteristic, etc. in spesific corner or track point.
I think a certain point of a track would be too inadequate. I really like the following saying, "If you're going to do it, then do it right". I believe that should apply to this thread.

Duck

Maybe BestTuners should open Tuning Clinic thread, where everyone can ask their tuning/car problem, and one of you will be the doctor. And if every already answered question still welcome, then the newbie won't be to afraid to ask..........

So anyone can ask question like:
Help! my car drifting, I dont want it ..............

sucahyo
Maybe BestTuners should open Tuning Clinic thread, where everyone can ask their tuning/car problem, and one of you will be the doctor. And if every already answered question still welcome, then the newbie won't be to afraid to ask..........

So anyone can ask question like:
Help! my car drifting, I dont want it ..............
That's when people PM me for a set-up. Besides, there's too many variables when it comes to this. You pretty much have to drive the car for a feeling before you recommend anything, IMO.

I don't mean to sound critical or anything, really. They're good, innovative ideas.

wow, very nice matt, i love the 2nd to last pic, BTW duck, i was having problems formatting my flash drive, turns out it will format it in the wrong FAT if the software is installed, it format's it correctly when no software is installed and you use windows' generic formatter, cuz when it was unformatted, the pics looked low quality and pixelated no matter what option i choose in gt4. So yeah, i have my report ready, be done any minute now.

banner3sk.jpg

Driver - Scaff

Car – Caterham Seven Fireblade

Deep Forest Time - 1'16.339

A car whose basic design has remained basically unchanged for four decades has been given a new twist with the motorbike engined Fireblade. Coupled to a lightweight and basic chassis as it is here is offers phenomenal acceleration and some of the most fun you can have with your clothes on. This particular car started life as a project car for ‘Evo’ magazine and has since been further modified

Scaff's 👍
The incredibly light weight of the Fireblade (335 kilos) gives the car a very unique character, combining great acceleration with stunning turn in and cornering abilities. Acceleration through the gears up to 100mph is strong and despite the motorbike engine pulls well through the rev range and sounds wonderful. The initial turn-in is excellent and minimal steering input is required to guide the car through even tight combinations of bends. In fact too much steering input can unsettle the car as the back end then tries to step out, which is nice and easy to start on corner exit, with the oversteer being predictable and easy to control.

Scaff's 👎
The car’s unique points of lightweight and a bike engine are also its biggest problems. While the weight makes for a very responsive car, it is also means that it is easily upset over sharp bumps and high curbs or rumble strips; the bike engine also means that once wind resistance becomes an issue it struggles to accelerate as keenly as it did. This can clearly be seen by comparing the 0-60, 0-100 and quarter mile times.

Overall
Neither is a big enough reason to avoid the Fireblade, as it is quite simply a stunning car dynamically that encourages you to push harder and faster through corners.

Many people will be put off by the issue of the car being ‘banned’ from GT4 race series, please don’t be. Buy one and you will have a car with a direct connection to the road and track like no other.

Spec
225bhp@10,450rpm
121ft/lbs@9,500rpm
335kgs

0-30 – 1.88 secs
0-60 – 3.92 secs
1-100 – 9.5 secs
1/4 Mile – 12.394 secs @ 117mph
Top Speed – 170.47mph

Modifications
Racing Exhaust
S2 tyres (R5 for lap time)
Supercharger
Brake Balance Controller
Racing Suspension
Fully Customisable Transmission
Fully Customisable LSD
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Stiffness
Oil Change
Racing Chip
Triple Plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
Carbon Fibre Propshaft
Displacement Increase
Port Polish
Engine Balance

Settings
All are shown Front then Rear

Spring Rates = 7.5 / 6
Ride Height = 85 / 90
Damper
Bound = 1 / 1
Rebound = 2 / 2
Camber = 2.5 / 1.5
Toe = 1 / 1
Stabilisers = 1 / 3

VCD = 10 / 20 / 20

Brake Balance = 5 / 3

Gearbox = Auto 12 (adjust as required)

.Duck.
@ Scaff - Good report! I like how you did the stats. 👍

Thanks Duck, I realy enjoyed this one, as the number of shots from various track will show.

I'm going to include the stats in all my set-ups from now one, as they can prove very handy. In this case highlighting the issue the Fireblade has with drag above approx 80mph.

Regards

Scaff

Yo man, that's pretty darn sweet yo. I wanted to do that car though!!! :mad: :lol: Just kidding, but it's really nice, I tried your settings too. They're smooth imo.

ekmatt9
Yo man, that's pretty darn sweet yo. I wanted to do that car though!!! :mad: :lol: Just kidding, but it's really nice, I tried your settings too. They're smooth imo.

Glad you liked the settings, I'm very happy with them myself. Sorry about the car, but it was to much to resist, one of my favorites in the game.

Regards

Scaff

----Chevrolet Camaro LM BESTuners Report----

Driver: .Duck.

Deep Forest Laptime: 1’05.212

NOTE: Review tested with R2s Infineon Race tested with R4s, laptime tested with R4s.

Exterior and History:
Polyphony Digital created this fiction Camaro racecar as a quick, grippy, bold speed demon. And speaking of bold, PD was bold to make this car ugly. It’s as ugly as sin itself, if uglier. I never really liked the 5th generation looks of the normal Camaro that GM gave it, but this body scheme takes the cake. I think if you took the black paint scheme Camaro and took it to Seattle, it would look mean. But if you take the plain Jane blue one to some average daylight track, like Autumn Ring for example, I’d just fast-forward the replay so it will end. The only thing that could make it any uglier is if you put a whole bottle of Vaseline and pieces of toilet paper on it, but that’s to the point to where you’d put it in the “funny pic thread”.

Anyway, I think you get my point. GT4 is a game where the objective is to race, not to look at replays of ugly cars. So, I took it to Infineon Raceway and pitted it against other cars that should make you run for your money.

The Good…:
And apparently, they didn’t make me run for my money. They were all pushovers. The race was over at the end of the first lap. Good thing it was only a two lap race, because I couldn’t stand lapping the track and them not putting up a fight. I mean, come on!! Pulling away from your opponents is NOT what I call fun. I call it a ridiculously overpowered car and some of the dumbest AI I’ve seen in a game. Heck, Forza has better AI than this! And that’s their first try! Anyway, I’m not going to turn this into a Forza Vs GT4 review, so let’s move on to how the car handles.

And let me tell you, this car handles like a dream! I know anything with 38 / 53 downforce and racing tires will handle well, but still! With R2s, it has a slight hint of understeer, but that’s about it. With R4s, it has perfect neutral handling, with no turning problems whatsoever. The braking is awesome. I’m going 200 MPH, I brake, and I brake 3 or 4 times as fast as I’m accelerating (with is pretty fast BTW). For my driving style (brake so you’ll end at where the corner starts), I have to purposely wait an extra second or so just so I’ll maintain my speed! The acceleration is very smooth and, well, fast. It’s not fast to the point of hanging on for your life, but it’s no snail either. It’s a great touring car. It’s a safe bet that it’ll be a good Nurburgring car. Of course, nothing beats a Beemer, but it WILL make mince meat out of your M3 GTR.

…And the bad:
Honestly, there’s not a lot to complain about. The only real negatives are the slight understeer on R2s, but that’s normal. There’s the ugliness factor, but I’ll just refer you to the first section, “Exterior and History”.

Conclusion:
There’s the LM gang, and the Camaro is the gang leader. If you want one of the best LM class cars in the game, then this is for you. Trust me, you’ll love it.

Now, PD needs to put an LM version of the next Camaro in GT5 (or GT6). Now THAT will be awesome.

The set-up:
Chevy Camaro LM Set-up

Thanks for reading, and please comment!!!

Scaff
Glad you liked the settings, I'm very happy with them myself. Sorry about the car, but it was to much to resist, one of my favorites in the game.

Regards

Scaff
Thhe car is aalso one of my favorites to. I was verry impressed on what was done to find everthing out, truely nice work

Back