COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
My family got their updated shots a couple weeks ago and I got mine and a flu shot last weekend in preparation for a trip (which ended up getting cancelled). My arm was so incredibly sore afterwards from the two shots lol

Have you ever had Pneumovax? I'd rather do the flu and covid in the same arm again compared to that one.

My family got their updated shots a couple weeks ago and I got mine and a flu shot last weekend in preparation for a trip (which ended up getting cancelled). My arm was so incredibly sore afterwards from the two shots lol
Yeah I'm going to space mine out a little. My doctor's office will give me my flu shot next month and I'll get the Covid booster maybe a week or two later.

I got my Covid Booster and flu shot both last night. Aside from a sore arm, I am okay for now.

Yeah I'm going to space mine out a little. My doctor's office will give me my flu shot next month and I'll get the Covid booster maybe a week or two later.

Based on how things are spreading in my area, I would reverse those.

Just got my son and myself our COVID vaccines this afternoon and my wife got hers last week, so we're all protected. But while I was sitting there, I came across this story:

Only 7% of adults and 2% of kids? That's downright terrible. I know the booster wasn't going to be popular, but I figured it would be around 25-30%, not less than 10%. I get people are fatigued with COVID, but getting the vaccine takes a couple of minutes and is free. It's not like it was in the early days of the pandemic when you had to wait for hours in a line in hopes to get a shot. For us, we walked in and 15 minutes later we were walking back out to the car.

I guess because it's not free nor subsidized anymore. I'll still get it because of travel and being around people who cough.

I guess because it's not free nor subsidized anymore. I'll still get it because of travel and being around people who cough.
No one should have to pay for a COVID vaccine. If you're privately insured or have Medicare/Medicaid, it's a federal law that the vaccine needs to be covered even if you're out of network. If you're uninsured, the CDC is running something called a "Bridge Access Program" that allows you to get free vaccines through the health department, Walgreens, or CVS.

When my son and I got ours the other day, it was through the health department and we weren't required to show our insurance card at all. They accepted it when I asked them if the needed it, but they weren't allowed to ask or have me prove I had insurance.

Just got my son and myself our COVID vaccines this afternoon and my wife got hers last week, so we're all protected. But while I was sitting there, I came across this story:

Only 7% of adults and 2% of kids? That's downright terrible. I know the booster wasn't going to be popular, but I figured it would be around 25-30%, not less than 10%. I get people are fatigued with COVID, but getting the vaccine takes a couple of minutes and is free. It's not like it was in the early days of the pandemic when you had to wait for hours in a line in hopes to get a shot. For us, we walked in and 15 minutes later we were walking back out to the car.
I'm going to admit that we've been lazy with the kids and haven't gotten them the booster yet. All of them have been vaccinated at least twice, and some of them have actually had covid since. My wife and I got this booster quickly (within days of availability), but for the kids our appointment isn't for another few days.

Part of the reason for that is that where we attempted to get them their covid shots (same place we did), they didn't carry the pediatric dose. They told us that the reason for this was that not enough people got their kids vaccinated last time, and so they over bought last time and didn't want to make the same mistake this time. Our kids would already be boosted if not for that.

Last edited:
I'm going to admit that we've been lazy with the kids and haven't gotten them the booster yet. All of them have been vaccinated at least twice, and some of them have actually had covid since. My wife and I got this booster quickly (within days of availability), but for the kids our appointment isn't for another few days.

Part of the reason for that is that where we attempted to get them their covid shots (same place we did), they didn't carry the pediatric dose. They told us that the reason for this was that not enough people got their kids vaccinated last time, and so they over bought last time and didn't want to make the same mistake this time. Our kids would already be boosted if not for that.
Yup, that's how it was with my son. I was trying to find a place to get him the vaccine and no place within 50 miles had the pediatric dose. I know I live in the middle of nowhere, but within 25 miles there are 3 Walgreens, 2 Meijer pharmacies, and an entire health system. Even his pediatrician said the hospital didn't get any doses so they can't give them. When I called the health department, we lucked out because they were having a clinic a couple of miles from our house the other day.

It's really strange that we went from "oh my god I need the vaccine now!" to "nah" in a matter of like two years. I know part of it is the politicization of it, and conservatives are way less likely to get it, but given the numbers we're seeing now, most liberals aren't getting it either. The biggest blame probably rests on people's lack of understanding when it comes to vaccines. I've had numerous conversations with people who are reasonably intelligent and were under the impression their first COVID shots would protect them forever.

Yup, that's how it was with my son. I was trying to find a place to get him the vaccine and no place within 50 miles had the pediatric dose. I know I live in the middle of nowhere, but within 25 miles there are 3 Walgreens, 2 Meijer pharmacies, and an entire health system. Even his pediatrician said the hospital didn't get any doses so they can't give them. When I called the health department, we lucked out because they were having a clinic a couple of miles from our house the other day.

It's really strange that we went from "oh my god I need the vaccine now!" to "nah" in a matter of like two years. I know part of it is the politicization of it, and conservatives are way less likely to get it, but given the numbers we're seeing now, most liberals aren't getting it either. The biggest blame probably rests on people's lack of understanding when it comes to vaccines. I've had numerous conversations with people who are reasonably intelligent and were under the impression their first COVID shots would protect them forever.
Given the trouble you and I have had getting a pediatric dose, I suppose I should be happy with 2%. I wouldn't expect many people care enough anymore to jump through significant hoops.

I'm surprised that we went from being willing to waste money and do the right thing, over-spending on covid protections and vaccine, and flooding the area with it, to make sure that everyone who wanted it could get it, to "not my pharmacy" in such a short time. I'm literally asking a major pharmacy for a shot for a virus that just overturned the world and they're like "look we could lose a few bucks so we figured tough luck". Seems like they could perform that community service.

Given the trouble you and I have had getting a pediatric dose, I suppose I should be happy with 2%. I wouldn't expect many people care enough anymore to jump through significant hoops.

I'm surprised that we went from being willing to waste money and do the right thing, over-spending on covid protections and vaccine, and flooding the area with it, to make sure that everyone who wanted it could get it, to "not my pharmacy" in such a short time. I'm literally asking a major pharmacy for a shot for a virus that just overturned the world and they're like "look we could lose a few bucks so we figured tough luck". Seems like they could perform that community service.
My kids got it yesterday and there seemed to be no difficulty. But in Alabama, there's not many people clamoring for it (though I recall hearing there was a greater percentage of children than adults getting it for a while) so there's plenty to go around. We're also in an area where some people actually care somewhat about their health and a small percentage of folks still wear masks in public.

No one should have to pay for a COVID vaccine. If you're privately insured or have Medicare/Medicaid, it's a federal law that the vaccine needs to be covered even if you're out of network. If you're uninsured, the CDC is running something called a "Bridge Access Program" that allows you to get free vaccines through the health department, Walgreens, or CVS.

When my son and I got ours the other day, it was through the health department and we weren't required to show our insurance card at all. They accepted it when I asked them if the needed it, but they weren't allowed to ask or have me prove I had insurance.
Good to know, though $10 won't break my bank for a little peace of mind.

Last edited:
Dj Khaled Mtv Emas GIF by 2020 MTV EMA

And if you're curious about JN.1:

Basically, like all other variants, this one is more transmissible and better at avoiding immune responses.

Ah.
What's even crazier is that he wants to recommend against the vaccine because of it officially.

I don't know how one gets a medical license without knowing the difference between mRNA and DNA. I mean, some of the letters are the same, but come on. Also, it concerns me that anyone with a medical license thinks vaccines alter your DNA.

What I find funny is that it's clear Ladapo (I'm not calling him a doctor) has never been with a woman (or a man, maybe he's into that) because if he had, he'd know millions of particles of DNA get swapped around. I don't know if it's true he's an incel or not, I'm just asking the questions, you know?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what is worse - the volume of people demanding it, or the number of doctors willing to write the perscription.

Also, the methods used to get to that 17,000 may or may not be flawed. No question that the death count is in the thousands, but I wouldn't trust an assertion of an exact number.

Like most meds with multiple uses, there’s nothing wrong with Hydroxychloroquine, when taken correctly. I regularly went down to Baja to get it (along with Azithromycin) during Covid to give to my family and friends. I live 30 minutes from the border and can get a bag of meds, 2 Tecate’s and a few Cabeza tacos and be back at my house in 90 minutes tops. I even have started taking my left over Hydroxychloroquine to help with my knee arthritis, as I’m probably 5 years away from knee replacements.

Speaking for myself and a few others who I gave stuff too, HDQ definitely helps with symptoms from severe cold/covid. The people who overdosed themselves be it stupidity and ignorance…yeah…Darwinism.

FWIW, I knew of several doctors that would have subscribed it for me. But being that I’m down in Mexico pretty regularly to surf, ride dirt bikes or work at dog rescues….it was just much easier just to obtain it that way

Like most meds with multiple uses, there’s nothing wrong with Hydroxychloroquine, when taken correctly.
Ya, if you have rheumatoid arthritis.
Speaking for myself and a few others who I gave stuff too, HDQ definitely helps with symptoms from severe cold/covid. The people who overdosed themselves be it stupidity and ignorance…yeah…Darwinism.
It doesn't help. Multiple peer-reviewed scientific studies say so, and any improvement that people saw while taking it when they had COVID was due to the placebo effect or just their body fighting the infection. If hydroxychloroquine worked and there was evidence to back it up, we would've been handing it out like candy during the pandemic's peak.
FWIW, I knew of several doctors that would have subscribed it for me.
Prescribe it for arthritis? Fine. Prescribe it for COVID? They should lose their medical license for malpractice.

Ya, if you have rheumatoid arthritis.

It doesn't help. Multiple peer-reviewed scientific studies say so, and any improvement that people saw while taking it when they had COVID was due to the placebo effect or just their body fighting the infection. If hydroxychloroquine worked and there was evidence to back it up, we would've been handing it out like candy during the pandemic's peak.

Prescribe it for arthritis? Fine. Prescribe it for COVID? They should lose their medical license for malpractice.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but you’re a doctor, right?

No but I work in healthcare.
So do I

But neither of us are doctors.

HDQ works for arthritis other than Rheumatoid arthritis. I first stumbled on HDQ almost 20 years ago when I was researching pain management and inflammation, when I herniated a bunch of discs. Obviously I didn’t take it then, but I took what I had left now for my knees, as an experiment for managing my knees, because it does help with arthritis and inflammation. Was never going to take it long term, and hopefully I won’t as I’m set to get my first round of gel injections next week…and I’m looking into stem-cells beyond that.

As far as HDQ and Covid, I asked several personal friends of mine wh happen to be doctors, and a couple were steadfast against it, and just as many said that there just hadn’t been enough long term research done for Covid treatment to definitively rule out its merits or demerits. However, they all said that it’s 100% safe.

Following it up with my own research as I always do, I decided to try it. And its benefits for me personally felt something more than a placebo effect, and more like the second day of a Z-PAC cycle when you have a real bad sinus infection. To be fair though, I was never in a category of persons who was going to get severely ill from Corona anyways, so I’m willing to accept to an extent, that my symptoms easing up rapidly was going to happen wether I took HDQ or not - but I can’t also say definitively that it didn’t help either

The way I perceived HDQ and Corona Virus in my research, is the same way I’ve interpreted all the research I’ve done in regards to daily dosage of Glucosamine and arthritis. You’re going to get varying opinions depending where you look, and who you ask.

The only difference between the whole Glucosamine-arthritis and HDQ-Covid refrence is that HDQ was made controversial because of the messenger, and thus you’re apt to get wide spectrum of opinions by the very nature.

…And no one cares about a glucosamine regiment to manage joint pain, and therefore much more muted emotions on either side of the coin

I first stumbled on HDQ almost 20 years ago when I was researching pain management and inflammation, when I herniated a bunch of discs. Obviously I didn’t take it then, but I took what I had left now for my knees
its benefits for me personally felt something more than a placebo effect
If you took a 20 year old medication, the efficacy would be significantly diminished.

As with a lot of people, once a virus has run its course, you can go from feeling absolutely horrible one day to being fine the next day. That's how my bout with Covid went.
However, they all said that it’s 100% safe.
So is water until you overdose on it. That doesn't inherently make HDQ the correct medication for the condition.
The only difference between the whole Glucosamine-arthritis and HDQ-Covid refrence is that HDQ was made controversial because of the messenger
Glucosamine is intended to help with arthritis. HDQ does nothing to treat Covid besides maybe some inflammation reduction, which you'd get from acetaminophen.

The messenger was wrong and I'm betting he knew it when he said it.

And for the record, I'm not a doctor, either, but I am married to one.

TB
If you took a 20 year old medication, the efficacy would be significantly diminished.

As with a lot of people, once a virus has run its course, you can go from feeling absolutely horrible one day to being fine the next day. That's how my bout with Covid went.

So is water until you overdose on it. That doesn't inherently make HDQ the correct medication for the condition.

Glucosamine is intended to help with arthritis. HDQ does nothing to treat Covid besides maybe some inflammation reduction, which you'd get from acetaminophen.

The messenger was wrong and I'm betting he knew it when he said it.

And for the record, I'm not a doctor, either, but I am married to one.

When the "science has changed" more times that I can count, I approach everything in regards to Covid with 2 grains of salt, and do my own research and ask questions as always. Not advocating people taking HDQ whatsoever, just chronicling what I did and how it affected me..... which is the main reason why I never speak in absolutes in regards to anything pertaining to topics like these - because the science and everything that pertains to COVID is apt to change; and will continue to change as more long term studies come out.

And I'm not saying that I took 20 year old HDQ. I'm just saying that was the first time I had even heard about it, when I stumbled upon it whilst doing research for something else. And yes, Glucosamine is supposed to help with Arthritis, but the jury is still out on how much good it actually does. For me personally, there's no way of actually knowing or being able to measure how much good it has done over the years, as all my joints have just gradually gotten worse over time - as is the result of anyone who has a physical job and active life style can attest to.

There are many medications out there that have down-river therapeutic benefits that are other than what a specific drug is designed for. I'm not willing to rule out that HDQ also doesn't have therapeutic benefits, as my usage with it in regards to Covid and knee pain have been positive.

What kind of doctor is your partner?

....and this isn't directed you whatsoever, but I always giggle in threads like these (not exclusively pertaining to covid), where people tend to speak in absolutes on topics they have little knowledge of, other than pre-determined conclusions they search for via the internet (the term confirmation bias also fits...but I find it too divisive in context most of the time).

Last edited:
I don't know. I found this on the internet and when combined with the thousands of reported deaths from misadministering the drug it sounds more convincing to me than some guy's random opinion. I doubt confirmation bias applies as it's not an anecdote or hearsay. It's a peer reviewed study, whose findings sound like it'd take a good deal of confirmation bias to discount.

Last edited:
Back