COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
I don't know. I found this on the internet and when combined with the thousands of reported deaths from misadministering the drug it sounds more convincing to me than some guy's random opinion. I doubt confirmation bias applies as it's not an anecdote or hearsay. It's a peer reviewed study, whose findings sound like it'd take a good deal of confirmation bias to discount.
“misadministering” is by the key word there. There’s no shortage of good medications that can kill you if you overdose. Just ask Matthew Perry.

Snippet from that article you posted:

While many trials are ongoing, additional published evidence of potential benefits or harms may be several months away, if they even reach completion. Given the lack of favorable results in the large RECOVERY trial and the revoked Emergency Use Authorization, recruitment into HCQ and CQ trials has become increasingly difficult and many trials may run the risk of ending in futility. A rapid examination of data on all-cause mortality from as many trials as possible may offer the best evidence on potential survival benefits and to ensure that patients are not exposed to unnecessary risks if benefit is lacking. We used the infrastructure established with COVID-evidence15, a comprehensive database of COVID-19 trials funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation, to invite all investigators of HCQ or CQ trials to participate in an international collaborative meta-analysis. We aimed to identify and combine all RCTs investigating the effects of HCQ or CQ on all-cause mortality in patients with COVID-19 compared to any control arm similar to the experimental arm in all aspects except the administration of HCQ or CQ.

- This is exactly why I take 2 grains of salt with anything pertaining to Covid. You have to do a lot of digging past the salacious headlines of articles to see that in the end, they really don’t know

Last edited:
The article is dated April 2021. Nearly two years later, WHO still hasn't changed its mind and has updated its guidelines with further evidence that HCQ shouldn't be used to prevent Covid.

Last edited:
The article is dated April 2021. Nearly two years later, WHO still hasn't changed its mind.
I wouldn’t expect them too either.

The problem (and genius of China) in this whole Covid thing, was that from a 1st world perspective, too many people in power by in far refused to admit when they didn’t know something, and refused to acknowledge when they were wrong. And too many politicians on both sides were too worried on how they could gain more power and benefit from the pandemic. The result was a fustercluck of mitigation from everyone involved, with no accountability and the ultimate scapegoat excuse of “the science has changed”. Not saying I’m in disagreement with how either side handled some things, because working in “risk management and mitigation” like I do, I understand how “blanket policies” are very advantageous when you quite frankly, have no ****ing clue what’s going on - or how to mitigate it.

But bring that I had a front row seat with Covid from day 1, I can honestly say that my opinions that I got dragged up and down this thread many pages back haven’t changed much at all.

And I’m sure a lot of this thread’s regular participants opinions haven’t either.

That’s the great thing about research and freedom of thought, it’s still not illegal to do yet!!!

Last edited:
As far as HDQ and Covid, I asked several personal friends of mine wh happen to be doctors, and a couple were steadfast against it, and just as many said that there just hadn’t been enough long term research done for Covid treatment to definitively rule out its merits or demerits. However, they all said that it’s 100% safe.
You can ask, but it doesn't make it true. Some doctors believe it works, but some doctors are idiots. It's why malpractice happens. Until there's actual peer-reviewed scientific data to support the notion that hydroxychloroquine works, it's unethical for a physician to prescribe it. It's doing testing and research without giving informed consent or, at the very least, only giving dubious informed consent.
The way I perceived HDQ and Corona Virus in my research, is the same way I’ve interpreted all the research I’ve done in regards to daily dosage of Glucosamine and arthritis. You’re going to get varying opinions depending where you look, and who you ask.
You get varying opinions, but many of those opinions are trash. Unless it's peer-reviewed and from a major publication, it's not viable. If you work in healthcare in any capacity, you should know this.
....and this isn't directed you whatsoever, but I always giggle in threads like these (not exclusively pertaining to covid), where people tend to speak in absolutes on topics they have little knowledge of, other than pre-determined conclusions they search for via the internet (the term confirmation bias also fits...but I find it too divisive in context most of the time).
I think I've shown throughout the course of the pandemic that I have a decent amount of knowledge regarding COVID and topics related to it. Am I an expert? No. Do I know more than that average person? Absolutely.
This is exactly why I take 2 grains of salt with anything pertaining to Covid. You have to do a lot of digging past the salacious headlines of articles to see that in the end, they really don’t know
The problem is reading headlines or using the media for your information. Throughout COVID, the media has been complete crap on both sides of the spectrum. You'd think vaccines were foolproof if you read one side of the media while if you read the other side they tell you that COVID vaccines are a government ploy to control you. The real answer is that vaccines decrease your risk substantially of having negative outcomes, but that doesn't make for a good headline and is actually kind of mundane.

If you want real facts you read studies straight from the source and look at hard data. I've preached that all along and have done my best to dispel terrible headlines in this thread from both sides of the argument.

You can ask, but it doesn't make it true. Some doctors believe it works, but some doctors are idiots. It's why malpractice happens. Until there's actual peer-reviewed scientific data to support the notion that hydroxychloroquine works, it's unethical for a physician to prescribe it. It's doing testing and research without giving informed consent or, at the very least, only giving dubious informed consent.

You get varying opinions, but many of those opinions are trash. Unless it's peer-reviewed and from a major publication, it's not viable. If you work in healthcare in any capacity, you should know this.

I think I've shown throughout the course of the pandemic that I have a decent amount of knowledge regarding COVID and topics related to it. Am I an expert? No. Do I know more than that average person? Absolutely.

The problem is reading headlines or using the media for your information. Throughout COVID, the media has been complete crap on both sides of the spectrum. You'd think vaccines were foolproof if you read one side of the media while if you read the other side they tell you that COVID vaccines are a government ploy to control you. The real answer is that vaccines decrease your risk substantially of having negative outcomes, but that doesn't make for a good headline and is actually kind of mundane.

If you want real facts you read studies straight from the source and look at hard data. I've preached that all along and have done my best to dispel terrible headlines in this thread from both sides of the argument.
I agree with “most” of what you said. From the looks of it, it sounds like we’re both equally educated on the subject - albeit on different sides of the issue, and from different perspectives …with your wife being a doctor of sorts and myself working on the frontlines of this thing since the beginning.

No biggie, as it seems like we’ve both come to conclusions that work best for us, as individuals.

I would consider myself fairly well-read on the subject as well, and even the “peer reviewed” analysis are full of nuance, end-arounds and a lot of “we really don’t know” if you start digging deep.

Luckily for all the bureaucrats involved, the public by in far is easily persuadable, stupid, and have short memories 😂

Appreciate the dialogue, good stuff man 👍🏼

The article is dated April 2021. Nearly two years later, WHO still hasn't changed its mind and has updated its guidelines with further evidence that HCQ shouldn't be used to prevent Covid.
"They keep changing the science!"
WHO maintains same treatment guide for nearly 3 years
"They're just afraid to listen to new ideas because China!"

Two people in the office/labs where I work have tested positive for Covid this week.

Fortunately they both seem to be fine, and fortunately for me I didn't see them much in the run-up to their positive tests.

-

The second person to get Covid has blamed the first person for 'giving it to them' - I think that is really, really poor behaviour. For a start, she took a flight to France on Saturday and only reported feeling unwell today (which presumably means she tested positive Wed/Thurs). The first person wasn't even in on Friday, so the latest he could have infected anyone at work would have been the Thursday. OK, it's possible but... no-one else in the same office got Covid, and the second person has no proof whatsoever that they didn't catch it on the flight to (or from) France, or while they were on holiday.

Blaming someone for passing on Covid is a risky business, as it clearly implies fault on their behalf - but blaming someone for passing on Covid while that person is still sick is pretty shameful behaviour, especially when in all likelihood it had nothing to do with them.

Last edited:
I put a mask back on for the first time in ages last week for a number of reasons...

1) I had a throat infection
2) Covid is knocking about here again
3) It's freezing, and the mask is comfy and warms my face

During the week, I went into a supermarket and used a self-checkout where they use electronic screens to age-check people buying alcohol. However, I figured that I might have a problem getting approval unless I removed my mask, but that would somewhat defeat the purpose of wearing it in the first place. My ingenious solution? I removed my hat instead - bastards approved me immediately.

Last edited:
p78
Everyone obviously does what he wants, but i'm spotting people alone in their car wearing masks again.
The lady that lives in the front of my building has been doing that since the beginning of Covid and she still does that today. She's probably in her early 70's and is a smoker.

p78
Everyone obviously does what he wants, but i'm spotting people alone in their car wearing masks again.

There’s several of those types in my neighborhood in San Diego, and even more of them where I work in Los Angeles. They haven’t stopped being ‘fully encapsulated’ in their cars, or at the bus stop by themselves, since April of 2020. To each their own, I suppose

Last edited:
I fail to see what the big deal with someone choosing to wear a mask is.

I have a child with a genetic illness. You can't tell by looking at them that anything is wrong but that's kind of the point - you can't tell what ailments someone might have just by appearance. They might be going through chemo or had an organ transplant and are on anti-rejection meds. Maybe they just don't want to take a chance of getting sick.

Whatever the reason is, if they want to wear a mask, it has no bearing on me.

Plus, when you wear a mask, it can disguise your facial features if you're the type to constantly give people the "Are you 🤬 kidding me" look. That's a huge benefit for me because I find myself giving that look a lot lately. Also, they filter out pollutants and, depending on the mask, you don't have to smell nasty people.

After a lot of procrastination and more delay having to deal with a ice storm here, I got my updated Covid vaccine tonight. I partially had to delay it because I originally scheduled with the CVS across the street from where I work. I had got all of the previous ones there. But now that it's not free they couldn't do it and waited until the afternoon of the appointment to tell me.

My insurance pharmacy is the Publix around the corner but I couldn't schedule it online with them because that location isn't listed anywhere on their website so I was told to just walk in and get it. I had to get Moderna because they were out of the Pfizer vaccine. All of my previous vaccines have been Pfizer so I'm a little nervous about possible side effects from the Moderna.

This still amazes me. It shouldn't, I know.

Screenshot-20240219-141952-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Of course pathetic Trumpers (the Department of Redundancy Department approves) treated it as gospel.

This still amazes me. It shouldn't, I know.

Screenshot-20240219-141952-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Of course pathetic Trumpers (the Department of Redundancy Department approves) treated it as gospel.
I do like the image saying "Thurs was the worst". I mean, the AP can be wrong sometimes.

I do like the image saying "Thurs was the worst". I mean, the AP can be wrong sometimes.
Everyone knows Tuesdays are the most underrated bad day, and Wednesdays are the most underrated good day. Thursdays also ride the coattails of tomorrow and are the most unstable days.

By a complete coincidence I'm rereading Howe's book on Marvel Comics and just got to the part where a paranoid and autocratic editor-in-chief nearly tanked the whole company with his wacky ideas on how to run things.

Last edited:
Some research into Long COVID:

It's fascinating how many different ways Long COVID can present itself and the lingering effects it has on people. The infographic in the paper sums it up pretty well:

1710160355197.png

I continue to have cardiac issues because of Long COVID that weren't present before my infection. While I can't be 100% sure COVID caused it, my doctor is in agreement since after numerous cardiac tests, they found no other reason for it. My blood pressue is normal as are all my lab results, yet I still have a resting resting heart rate of the high 90s.

It seems like COVID lockdowns may have had the unintended effect of making the Influenza B/Yamagata lineage go extinct.

If this is the case, it means yearly influenza vaccines could become more effective since removing this lineage removes a variable.

"COVID vaccines cause heart failure and death!" - Idiots

"Hold my beaker" - Science

Essentially, the study looked at over 20 million people (split in half by vaccinated and unvaccinated) and found that COVID vaccines reduced the risk of virus-related heart failure and blood clots for up to a year. Heart failure risks among the vaccinated were 55% lower and blood clots in the veins and arteries were down 78% and 47% respectively. So, per this study, the vaccine does exactly the opposite of what idiots have been spouting.

Essentially, the study looked at over 20 million people (split in half by vaccinated and unvaccinated) and found that COVID vaccines reduced the risk of virus-related heart failure and blood clots for up to a year. Heart failure risks among the vaccinated were 55% lower and blood clots in the veins and arteries were down 78% and 47% respectively. So, per this study, the vaccine does exactly the opposite of what idiots have been spouting.

Media went apey when <100 people had heart issues from Johnson & Johnson jabs. Of course, that's all the masses remember; not that the vaccine improved or that heart diseases were already statistically the number one reason people die, and it didn't fix pre-existing conditions. I suppose they were trying to do the right thing but it never considers that many people don't try to unlearn information; memory works by the emotion of the moment. You can learn something new, but it's tough for people to replace one emotional feeling with another regarding a memory.

It's been four years since The Great Pandemic was declared. There is such a Before and After effect to consider with a sense of nostalgia or a massive shift, towards what feels like everything that goes on today.

Last edited:
Media went apey when <100 people had heart issues from Johnson & Johnson jabs. Of course, that's all the masses remember; not that the vaccine improved or that heart diseases were already statistically the number one reason people die, and it didn't fix pre-existing conditions. I suppose they were trying to do the right thing but it never considers that many people don't try to unlearn information; memory works by the emotion of the moment. You can learn something new, but it's tough for people to replace one emotional feeling with another regarding a memory.

It's been four years since The Great Pandemic was declared. There is such a Before and After effect to consider with a sense of nostalgia or a massive shift, towards what feels like everything that goes on today.
And the sad thing is what did we learn? We learned that the next pandemic will probably be worse in many countries, because people have now become more distrustful with both governments (fair to an extent) and medicine/science.

WhO fUndEd ThOsE sTuDiEs?¿?

And the sad thing is what did we learn? We learned that the next pandemic will probably be worse in many countries, because people have now become more distrustful with both governments (fair to an extent) and medicine/science.

This is the most concerning thing going forwards. The fatigue, distrust and misinformation is at a point where a huge amount of people are too far gone.

We could have a pandemic declaration for the black plague and people would laugh it off as “just a bit worse than the flu”.

Without the measures taken with covid the death toll would have been significantly worse, but I can’t see then being successfully implemented again in living memory.

Back