Fanatec Gran Turismo DD Extreme Wheel

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 655 comments
I’d imagine so, you just would have to be more sensitive. I can tell the difference between 4 and 6oz and 50 and 55lbs(etc) so it was pretty dramatic. Also, it 15nm seems to be the threshold where my brain really bought the ffb in vr. The loss of intensity and softening(?) of the gradients has led the ffb of gt7 to be very disappointing compared to pre 1.43.

The wheel is great. Don’t get me wrong. Just not what it was and can be.

Ps. Ive always run the wheel at 100

Pps. My gripes are with feeling tire directionality, suspension loads, while maintaining a realistic wheel weight in various scenarios.
Yeah I rarely run it that high, mainly due to arthritis type symptoms in hands/ elbow joints, etc.. But even with lower FFB settings it feels like the "peaks" are rounded off more. Especially when you're loaded up in a corner and push past that wall where it should keep ramping up, FFB feels like it levels out and "clips" even though it shouldn't and didn't before with same settings. Hopefully they'll fix it eventually when they roll out full support for the wheel in GT7.

BWX
Yeah I rarely run it that high, mainly due to arthritis type symptoms in hands/ elbow joints, etc.. But even with lower FFB settings it feels like the "peaks" are rounded off more. Especially when you're loaded up in a corner and push past that wall where it should keep ramping up, FFB feels like it levels out and "clips" even though it shouldn't and didn't before with same settings. Hopefully they'll fix it eventually when they roll out full support for the wheel in GT7.
Interesting. And yeah, its the whole pushing through without an edge anymore that sucks the fun from things. The whole perceived weight, velocity, friction equations are where the fun are, in driving. Want em back!

Mine, which is running 455 for everything, seems to be working with virtually no issues with the following exceptions.....

Loss of FFB and shifter paddles not responding.
I've not had any loss of FFB, but I have had it get stronger, just like the DD Pro did, and a quick pause fixes it.

Funky switch doing ghost inputs.
The frigg'in funky switch had me shouting at it during the recent Suzuka/McLaren VGT time trial. Pushing up turns the ghost car on or off, right? For me it's very random as to weather it works or not. On the straights it seemed fine, but on corners it doesn't work very well. I even wondered if it might be that during cornering I wasn't pushing the stick straight up.... but I think I probably was.

Oled Display not showing anything or just a random gear number or velocity value.
Oled seems stable for me, but I have noticed that sometimes it gets stuck with a speed and shift lights staying on when usually they would go off unless actually in a race.

Also, I think maybe once all the buttons were unresponsive and I couldn't log in, a reboot fixed it!

So no serious problems here.... and I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

So…i’ve been a little whiny and impatient regarding the nerf. Decided to crank ffb in game up to 9. Because im afraid of 10 as i worry that @PirovacBoy may have overwhelmed the qr thingy and once overwhelmed it gets stuck on stupid. (Just another theory). Anyway, 9 was fine, like lapped for an hour fine..didn’t break a sweat fine. I feel it should have kicked my butt

Also, if ‘clipping,’ is generally referred too as pushing through a wheels resistance limit resulting in a lack of ffb because the gradients are to soft to convey the hard edge of grip then thats not a, ‘clip,’ in my mind. Its a wheel which is too weak for the task and coding which isn’t good enough to convey grip.

🤷‍♂️

I don't think it's being whiny at all. I mean these things cost a small fortune and we want to get the most out of the experience. To me it feels like the wheelbase has a lot more dynamic range than what GT7 is allowing ATM. It's hard to explain but it's like the difference between the weakest forces compared to the strongest forces, even when you're not using all of the wheel's power, or if you are is less after the nerf. But we're early adopters, maybe it'll get better over time with updates.

Just a question to those who can clarify the following.
If I download driver 456 and then plug in my DD+ which is currently on driver 455 and its latest firmware for Wheelbase Wheel and QR, can I then manually ONLY update the WQR from 1.0.0.3 to 1.0.0.7?!

Currently since a few days the disconnect issue has developed into a nightmare not letting me drive for more than a few seconds before it disconnects.

And with no confirmed release date for driver 457 I would like to try the update for the WQR WITHOUT having to update the Wheelbase Firmware which is DEFINITELY not recommended as Maurice has mentioned countless times.

Just a question to those who can clarify the following.
If I download driver 456 and then plug in my DD+ which is currently on driver 455 and its latest firmware for Wheelbase Wheel and QR, can I then manually ONLY update the WQR from 1.0.0.3 to 1.0.0.7?!

Currently since a few days the disconnect issue has developed into a nightmare not letting me drive for more than a few seconds before it disconnects.

And with no confirmed release date for driver 457 I would like to try the update for the WQR WITHOUT having to update the Wheelbase Firmware which is DEFINITELY not recommended as Maurice has mentioned countless times.
Yes, you can by checking the box for manual firmware update.
DSC01709.JPG

That's CODE for "He has access to beta firmware" and doesn't want to disclose the version number for obvious NDA agreement reasons.

So today I updated the WQR but no change at all.
Still the same disconnect issues after a few seconds.
My last hope is an issue solving driver release.
Fingers crossed it gets released ASAP.

The way Maurice is talking, I don't know if it will be April. From March, to mid April, to end of April, and now hopefully end of April. Hopefully end of April sounds like probably May. Guess the issue is giving them problems, more than what they thought they had.

The way Maurice is talking, I don't know if it will be April. From March, to mid April, to end of April, and now hopefully end of April. Hopefully end of April sounds like probably May. Guess the issue is giving them problems, more than what they thought they had.
Yep, but at least there's hope.
I'm pretty sure it's coming soon enough though.
My glass is always half full 😅

Yep, but at least there's hope.
I'm pretty sure it's coming soon enough though.
My glass is always half full 😅
Same here. Just had my second disconnect this weekend with 455, and another issue with having to crank my steering wheel around to make a turn. Hopefully 457 will fix both of these issues.

That sucks, and not just for you because it seems like it could happen at an time to any of us.

The crazy part is that it was working ok then all of the sudden, boom- huge problems.
So assuming we have identical hardware and firmware, using wheel in identical game and mine works ok and yours doesn't. It just makes no sense.

So now we have to conclude it's possibly caused by another variable.

Maybe settings on wheel?
Maybe order in which you install FW updates and I got lucky and just happened to install them in some "correct" order by chance?

Something we're not thinking about?

I wonder if you might have an issue with pins? I do have the metal QR2, can't remember if you do or not.
I wonder if plastic QR2 is allowing some flex that stresses pins? Have you checked pins?

I uninstalled fananlabs because I thought it might have been messing up my FW updates when I was having problems installing them.
I never reinstalled it. And made sure it was completely removed from system before updating.

I'm assuming you don't have analog paddles set to anything other than CBP. I pretend they don't exist right now.

Lately I'm only playing on PS5, could it be playing on PC with Fanalabs active somehow causes more problems, even when you go back to PS5?

Maybe switching wheels back and forth causes issues? I've left the GT DD X wheel on there lately.

Maybe checking the box or not checking box to reinstate your settings after updating FW has something to do with it?

Could it be a cable problem of some sort?

I'm not touching mine because it's working, but if it was failing and disconnecting constantly I may try updating just the wheel to 456 FW since mine is still on 455 FW, only just to see what happens.

I might try setting everything back to defaults and test.
I may try re-installing all FW again just to see what happens. I know the updating software is very buggy.
Maybe one time it didn't install properly somehow?

Einstein said "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is insanity", but that doesn't apply here. If it did my wheel would still be bricked.

It's impossible for us to know which variable makes it worse or makes it better, so it might be worth just trying different things.

It's tough though because it doesn't seem to make any sense.
Like when they say "random", do they mean totally and completely random or could some combination of things make it (disconnect issue) more or less likely?

If it was happening to me again I would try a bunch of things, it might be a waste of time but I might get lucky.

On top of all that the frustration just build because Fanatec is so incredibly and ridiculously slow to fix anything. And there's always some other delay, after delay, after delay. Then light at the end of the tunnel, only to for them to tell you, oh, yeah sorry there's another two week delay. Like what the hell is going on over there?
Sometimes it seems like they don't care one bit about their customers. Like they're actively trying to screw with us even though I know that's not the case, it feels like it is sometimes.

It's infuriating, but not worth getting worked up about because you can't do anything about it anyways. Just wait more. I understand why people hate them, but I don't and try not to fall into that trap because I realize I don't have enough information to know what exactly the problem is or what challenges they are dealing with that might be beyond their control at the moment. So I try to be mature and calm, but that takes effort.

So yeah I feel your pain even though for the moment I'm the lucky one. I just hope they get their collective 💩 together soon because I like their hardware, their overall philosophy on hardware, their ecosystem, and the compatibility. But my patience is wearing very thin. I'm not a monk.

rant over LOL.. I'm going outside!

BWX
That sucks, and not just for you because it seems like it could happen at an time to any of us.

The crazy part is that it was working ok then all of the sudden, boom- huge problems.
So assuming we have identical hardware and firmware, using wheel in identical game and mine works ok and yours doesn't. It just makes no sense.

So now we have to conclude it's possibly caused by another variable.

Maybe settings on wheel?
Maybe order in which you install FW updates and I got lucky and just happened to install them in some "correct" order by chance?

Something we're not thinking about?

I wonder if you might have an issue with pins? I do have the metal QR2, can't remember if you do or not.
I wonder if plastic QR2 is allowing some flex that stresses pins? Have you checked pins?

I uninstalled fananlabs because I thought it might have been messing up my FW updates when I was having problems installing them.
I never reinstalled it. And made sure it was completely removed from system before updating.

I'm assuming you don't have analog paddles set to anything other than CBP. I pretend they don't exist right now.

Lately I'm only playing on PS5, could it be playing on PC with Fanalabs active somehow causes more problems, even when you go back to PS5?

Maybe switching wheels back and forth causes issues? I've left the GT DD X wheel on there lately.

Maybe checking the box or not checking box to reinstate your settings after updating FW has something to do with it?

Could it be a cable problem of some sort?

I'm not touching mine because it's working, but if it was failing and disconnecting constantly I may try updating just the wheel to 456 FW since mine is still on 455 FW, only just to see what happens.

I might try setting everything back to defaults and test.
I may try re-installing all FW again just to see what happens. I know the updating software is very buggy.
Maybe one time it didn't install properly somehow?

Einstein said "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is insanity", but that doesn't apply here. If it did my wheel would still be bricked.

It's impossible for us to know which variable makes it worse or makes it better, so it might be worth just trying different things.

It's tough though because it doesn't seem to make any sense.
Like when they say "random", do they mean totally and completely random or could some combination of things make it (disconnect issue) more or less likely?

If it was happening to me again I would try a bunch of things, it might be a waste of time but I might get lucky.

On top of all that the frustration just build because Fanatec is so incredibly and ridiculously slow to fix anything. And there's always some other delay, after delay, after delay. Then light at the end of the tunnel, only to for them to tell you, oh, yeah sorry there's another two week delay. Like what the hell is going on over there?
Sometimes it seems like they don't care one bit about their customers. Like they're actively trying to screw with us even though I know that's not the case, it feels like it is sometimes.

It's infuriating, but not worth getting worked up about because you can't do anything about it anyways. Just wait more. I understand why people hate them, but I don't and try not to fall into that trap because I realize I don't have enough information to know what exactly the problem is or what challenges they are dealing with that might be beyond their control at the moment. So I try to be mature and calm, but that takes effort.

So yeah I feel your pain even though for the moment I'm the lucky one. I just hope they get their collective 💩 together soon because I like their hardware, their overall philosophy on hardware, their ecosystem, and the compatibility. But my patience is wearing very thin. I'm not a monk.

rant over LOL.. I'm going outside!
Yep, there's nothing we can do besides hoping that the software engineers deliver a stable and functioning firmware.
And believe it or not I'm not even mad about the fact that the Product has shipped with an unstable firmware.
It's usual business these days for many companies to push their unrefined products on the market.
So I knew it was a 50/50 chance.
The only thing that annoys me though is the fact that their guarantee seems to be tied to the one who actually purchased the product.

And that definitely doesn't make sense at all.
Imagine buying something, reselling it and in case you have a guarantee situation, it's up to the previous owner to handle it.
That's a farce, and actually not legally covered by EU rights.
The rightful owner ALWAYS is the one who has guarantee claim.
Therefore I don't get the point in adding an item to your account to have it covered by guarantee, when this option act exists, but can't be executed due to a bugged system error which doesn't let you add the item.

At least in my situation I have the chance to get it handled due to a good contact to the reseller who sold me the bundle.
But imagine that wouldn't be the case... One would have to get his lawyer involved to claim his rights... thats a big nono IMHO.
But anyway in the meantime while waiting for the update which will hopefully solve this annoying issue, I hope that you and all the others won't have to face this issue because let me tell you, it's just a pita 😅

Good luck to you and let's hope that the update hits the shelves sooner than we think.

Yeah that doesn't seem right with the non-transferable warranty. I can see if it was some shady Alibaba purchase but not if the guy bought it from them directly. The warranty should cover you especially within the first year and if you have the correct info like all the serial numbers. That's a good example of the kind of anti-customer behavior they need to correct. Hope you get it working! If not I have a feeling 457 drivers / FW will do the trick.

And believe it or not I'm not even mad about the fact that the Product has shipped with an unstable firmware.
It's usual business these days for many companies to push their unrefined products on the market.
So I knew it was a 50/50 chance.
I don't understand this mindset at all - we're talking about a €1300 product that doesn't work as advertised, (i.e., you can't use it to play games with - the main purpose of the product, unless the stars and planets are somehow aligned correctly,) but that's nothing to get upset about, according to you. And calling this product "unrefined" is a huge understatement - it's clearly unfit for purpose in its current state.

If you want Fanatec to improve, stop making up excuses for them, otherwise they'll never change.

I don't understand this mindset at all - we're talking about a €1300 product that doesn't work as advertised, (i.e., you can't use it to play games with - the main purpose of the product, unless the stars and planets are somehow aligned correctly,) but that's nothing to get upset about, according to you. And calling this product "unrefined" is a huge understatement - it's clearly unfit for purpose in its current state.

If you want Fanatec to improve, stop making up excuses for them, otherwise they'll never change.
They did fire the CEO and founder from that position, and are now undergoing restructuring as a company. That's already a huge "change".

That's no excuse for everything that went down before but they are taking action to correct these issues. Getting all upset and pissed off as an individual or going on a forum and raging about how terrible they are and insulting the people that work there isn't going to change anything either. (I'm not saying you did this, but people are doing that.) But the fact is they are changing already, so maybe we should drop the pitch forks and see how the restructuring goes. Just a thought.

My wheel is working great BTW and lots of people have had better luck, and the hardware is insanely refined and very high quality for the most part. It's the software that is the problem. It's kind of like when a dev release a really good game but it's buggy. They need to fix it, but it's still a great game in the end. People can always return the product and get their money back or RMA (in most cases).

Last edited:
BWX
They did fire the CEO and founder from that position, and are now undergoing restructuring as a company. That's already a huge "change".

That's no excuse for everything that went down before but they are taking action to correct these issues. Getting all upset and pissed off as an individual or going on a forum and raging about how terrible they are and insulting the people that work there isn't going to change anything either. But the fact is they are changing already, so maybe we should drop the pitch forks and see how the restructuring goes. Just a thought.
To piggyback off of this the collective lack of real world understanding is astonishingly baffling to me.

Fanatec is a small to medium business with not more than 300 employees working at a global scale. They most likely have 2-4 people working customer service for the globe. A team of less than 20 per warehouse. And probably a team of less than 10 engineers for hardware and software.

So since they sell highly sought after product's ant lower prices than the competition are they supposed to hire up so they eat all thier revenue and go broke just to awnser all the questions and RMA in a timely manner within initial product launch that no company does because it’s far too expensive? Temporary staff up to a large enterprise size business to meet the temporary business needs without thought of what you are doing to the lives of temp employees?

Maybe I’ve been working too long in both large enterprise and small businesses size global companies and it’s an insider understanding of how businesses work, but either way the expectations of people complaining are unrealistic in my opinion.

I just purchased my CS DD+ and I was fully prepared to have to wait months if my order is lost in thier buggy store system, but I have no doubt I would ultimately receive it. I read on thier forums beforehand all the issues with firmware, so I keep changes down to a minimum in settings waiting for 457. And so far I have been one of the masses that got thier products on time without issue luckily, but I know it might break in the future so I already have a electronics repair company ready to work on it should it fail me because I want to avoid RMA while they are still dealing with the product launch.

I purchased most every new video game console at launch all my life. I have been “beta testing” electronics as a first time adopter buying launch products as long as I recall, and the knowledge has always been commonplace; If you want the product to be perfect, wait for them to perfect it after launch and buy it later.

If you want to fruitlessly scream at clouds, my apologies and carry on. But if you want to change the whole of how the entire global electronics industry lifecycle is done, you will never succeed and it’s far better to bring your expectations down to reality to avoid disappointment in life.

Life isn’t fair and companies have to try and make products and sell them before they are perfected. That’s reality. Yes it would be nice if everything worked perfectly and we instantly got our products ordered online, but why waste time complaining about what isn’t real or in your control, rather than taking back control via rational understanding

To piggyback off of this the collective lack of real world understanding is astonishingly baffling to me.

Fanatec is a small to medium business with not more than 300 employees working at a global scale. They most likely have 2-4 people working customer service for the globe. A team of less than 20 per warehouse. And probably a team of less than 10 engineers for hardware and software.

So since they sell highly sought after product's ant lower prices than the competition are they supposed to hire up so they eat all thier revenue and go broke just to awnser all the questions and RMA in a timely manner within initial product launch that no company does because it’s far too expensive? Temporary staff up to a large enterprise size business to meet the temporary business needs without thought of what you are doing to the lives of temp employees?

Maybe I’ve been working too long in both large enterprise and small businesses size global companies and it’s an insider understanding of how businesses work, but either way the expectations of people complaining are unrealistic in my opinion.

I just purchased my CS DD+ and I was fully prepared to have to wait months if my order is lost in thier buggy store system, but I have no doubt I would ultimately receive it. I read on thier forums beforehand all the issues with firmware, so I keep changes down to a minimum in settings waiting for 457. And so far I have been one of the masses that got thier products on time without issue luckily, but I know it might break in the future so I already have a electronics repair company ready to work on it should it fail me because I want to avoid RMA while they are still dealing with the product launch.

I purchased most every new video game console at launch all my life. I have been “beta testing” electronics as a first time adopter buying launch products as long as I recall, and the knowledge has always been commonplace; If you want the product to be perfect, wait for them to perfect it after launch and buy it later.

If you want to fruitlessly scream at clouds, my apologies and carry on. But if you want to change the whole of how the entire global electronics industry lifecycle is done, you will never succeed and it’s far better to bring your expectations down to reality to avoid disappointment in life.

Life isn’t fair and companies have to try and make products and sell them before they are perfected. That’s reality. Yes it would be nice if everything worked perfectly and we instantly got our products ordered online, but why waste time complaining about what isn’t real or in your control, rather than taking back control via rational understanding
So condescending that i first thought it was ironical....

I really, frankly thought you were joking at first...

I got used to the PD's fanclub who defends anything PD does, and treat Kaz like he is some kind of god... But defending Fanatec for releasing an unfinished product, that -in many cases -just does not work...

Worst: not only defending Fanatec but blaming the buyers!

Unreal.

Last edited:
So condescending that i first thought it was ironical....

I really, frankly thought you were joking at first...

I got used to the PD's fanclub who defends anything PD does, and treat Kaz like he is some kind of god... But defending Fanatec for releasing an unfinished product, that -in many cases -just does not work...

Worst: not only defending Fanatec but blaming the buyers!

Unreal.
Yes completely disregard the topic posted referencing the entire of the electronics industry and use ad hominem attack to discredit my entire arguably saying I’m a Fanatec fanboy defender…. Great deflection and lack of argument!!!

I don't make any excuses Sir, I'm just stating MY personal view on this matter.
We're all different and look at things from different perspectives.
And most of all I look at things realistically and objective.

My Extreme Bundle. worked flawless since day 1.
I never had any issues until recently.
So calling the product unrefined is quite objective.
If it wasn't working out of the box, it would have been a different story.

And when I say I don't get mad about it, doesn't equal my disappointment.

Especially taking into account that it worked like a clockwork every day.
I played for 7 to 10 hours EVERY day on a regular basis.
Then suddenly... well you might have read my story i assume so of course I'm quite disappointed.

But getting mad about something which is out of my hands doesn't help me, it's quite the opposite so I stay calm and focus on the future and for me personally I don't have a problem waiting for the update because I strongly believe that it's just a software bug within the communication between the Wheelbase sending too much Data for the WQR to handle.

The Wheelbase itself is absolutely astonishing and delivers an incredible value for its price.
And once the Software has been brought into alignment with the hardware I don't see any better options on console.

Did I hope and wish for a perfect product for which I personally have spent 1400 €?
Subjectively I did.
But I also was aware of the fact that objectively there might be the possibility of some issues which I took into account.
Especially with a brand new product, technologically wise. Of course a brand new product should be expected to be faultless.

Unfortunately these days it's nothing uncommon anymore.
And of course that shouldn't be the new norm, but as our entire consumer electronics are getting more and more complicated electronically and especially software wise, the chances of a bugged product are getting higher.

But as you get accustomed more frequent to these type of unrefined products you simply learn and adapt your specific ways of how you handle these situations without upsetting yourself finding yourself in a negative thinking loop.

Unfortunately it is what it is.

Quality control management isn't the same as it used to be back in the days.
And that goes for a vast mayority of consumer electronics.

Some are even wanted by the developers to make you buy their newly revised or updated products every few years.

But I don't believe that Fanatec has that mindset when they launch their products.

I just got caught out unlucky after my honeymoon phase.
But I'll be back in the boat soon no doubt about it.
So yeah my mindset still tells me that my glass is half full.
Keeping me thinking positive.
Like I said it's just the perspective at how you look at things which determines how you look at life in general 🙂

I am a bit lost…I will receive my DD+ with v 2.5 wheel soon..to use with PS5 mostly GT7 but also ACC and F1 2023, what must I do for software update…nothing ? Until 457 software comes ?

I am a bit lost…I will receive my DD+ with v 2.5 wheel soon..to use with PS5 mostly GT7 but also ACC and F1 2023, what must I do for software update…nothing ? Until 457 software comes ?
Unless they are shipping with driver 455 firmwares, I'd hook it up to PC and install 455 firmwares for wheelbase, wheel, and QR at least.

Maybe even try driver 454 for brand new out of box, which appears to include the first DD+ FW. If works OK with 454, stay, if not, try 455 vOv

I primarily play GT7, so I can't comment on other games... but recent Fanatec issues (steering wheel bug and inconsistent FFB) on my DD Pro occurred immediately after PD update 1.43. I don't regularly update Fanatec drivers to avoid such issues, so the only variable for me was the game update.

I don't know what exactly is happening between PD and Fanatec, but certainly looks dysfunctional as it is taking a long time to resolve these issues (or getting back to where it was prior to 1.43). Perhaps Full force integration effort and/or GTWS is not helping in terms of PD priority.

I feel for DD+ owners, as it appears to have few more issues than my DD Pro. I actually have DD+ in the cart, but awaiting these issues to clear prior.

Back