For those that object to GTS or GT7 having Std Cars, what is your reason?

• Thread starter syntex123
  • 758 comments

For those that object to GTS or GT7 having Std Cars, what is your reason?

• I am offended that PD is going to sell a game that includes assets they created 10 years ago

Votes: 205 49.5%
  • PD needs to focus their resources on other areas of GT7 that have been lacking in prior releases

Votes: 111 26.8%
  • STD. Cars will lower the overall content quality of other parts of GT7.

Votes: 200 48.3%
  • I like to race using in-cockpit view mode, a black silhouette dilutes the immersive experience.

Votes: 138 33.3%
  • They will take up space in my garage for the cars I personally want.

Votes: 14 3.4%
  • I don't have a good reason, I just don't want them.

Votes: 19 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 39 9.4%

• Total voters
I'd rather PD slimmed down the car list by removing the duplicates and only upgrading the more popular cars to Premium status.

Isn't the FGT Semi-Premium?

Yeah, it is semi-premium it's why I added the brackets to it.

Keep them, but give an option to exclude them, and take the time to upgrade the cars that so desperately need them. Premium both the Supras, the RUFs, the 92 NSXR, the NISMO cars. We have no premium gen1 Imprezas. There's a whole list of Corvettes which shouldn't be standard. The Prowler is horrible quality. The SLK230 is standard. The Evo3 is standard. The Esprit Sport, Elan, and Carlton are all standards. Anything that has no comparison in the premium lot should be made premium.

http://www.kudosprime.com/gt6/car_sheet.php?id=352 FGT is a semi-premium, and as an open cockpit car it has an interior, albeit (extremely) low quality.

Not to burst your bubble but that MRS looks far worse than what you're making it out to be. Its poor quality is what pushed me to buy the RX7 for the GT300 championship instead. The jagged edges are just completely unacceptable.

Which reminds me, we have no premium MR2. Would be nice to see the gen2 and gen3 be premium, but they won't...

Yeah, I agree the MR2 looks bad but better than it was in GT5.

I think the FGT doesn't look that bad. It has a fully modeled steering wheel and improved poly/texture.

ttzbyknyjtntktftgeqe.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

GT5's FGT is not, and the Veyron is semi-premium, you're probably thinking about the Veyron 16.4 '13, the car which doesn't exist. Or maybe they upgraded it in a GT6 update (See my forum 'Gran Turismo 6 - The Worst Driving Game I Have Ever Played - My Ranty Review of GT6')

I know the so called 13' edition is premium but I'm pretty sure the 09' is. It has interior and also lets you view the car in gallery mode. Normally the semi-premiums are not allowed to be viewed in the gallery like the FGT.

IMO for the Formula GT to be considered fully premium, the LCD in steering wheel needs to be capable of displaying data (right now it cannot show anything).

Relatedly, I would like to see decade-ly (is there a term for this) variants of Formula GT - and maybe junior versions too. 💡

Bonus points if anyone can tell me what game I got the boxy car from...

It looks like something from one of the old arcade games, like Pole Position or Race Drivin. (I think that was the name)

IMO for the Formula GT to be considered fully premium, the LCD in steering wheel needs to be capable of displaying data (right now it cannot show anything).

Relatedly, I would like to see decade-ly (is there a term for this) variants of Formula GT - and maybe junior versions too. 💡

FGT should just be scrapped entirely and replaced by one or two up to date fictional single seaters.

My reason is having played Driveclub I enjoy the consistency. The STD cars break the immersion like any part of any game you're not suppose to see. It's like going outside of the map.

You're immersed in this alien infested laboratory and suddenly you glitch out thru the floor and the magic is gone. ;)

Having said that I'm not against them totally - just let me avoid them.

It's interesting to see a studio behind ground breaking graphics to allow STD cars to tarnish the picture. :confused:

Putt the STD cars in with some STD tracks and old GT music - entirely separate Classic GT Mode. I would be down for that.

I'm not sure what the point would be, as "must have" would be different for everybody.

Obviously, PD is best-placed for something like this. Though it wouldn't be a bad idea for people to create personal lists prior to release to see how much the actual product matches up to their wants.

Really, this keeps reminding me of the Forzalopnik approach: T10 had a massive list of 120 cars for the Jalopnik community to vote on, which ended up being narrowed down to a list of 15 for inclusion in the game (first FM3, then FM4). If PD were to do something similar right here on GTP with the Standards, going off of something like 100-150 of the most popular based off their own usage details. Sure, not everybody would be happy with the results – that's democracy for you – but they'd have direct community involvement.
That's kind of where I was going with it, creating a community generated list and hopefully having PD look at it, even if secretly. I think it would be a fun excercise not to mention a heck of a passionate debate. I believe you've already done a large amount of the work anyway by sorting out the various trim options. It would be something interesting to pass the time until GTSport anyway:idea:💡

FGT should just be scrapped entirely and replaced by one or two up to date fictional single seaters.

The point is that I am proposing additional iterations of FGT - representing 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, early and late 90's F1, as well as current-specification F1, in addition to what we have right now (representing early 2000's F1). ;)

Think of the uses! For example, the 50's/60's FGT will find niche among racers who formerly ran LCC Rockets.

That FGT is 10 years old aswell.

The point is that I am proposing additional iterations of FGT - representing 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, early and late 90's F1, as well as current-specification F1, in addition to what we have right now (representing early 2000's F1). ;)

Think of the uses! For example, the 50's/60's FGT will find niche among racers who formerly ran LCC Rockets.

We need a F1 range like GT3 with the F090's, F686, polyphony 001/2 etc.

Are we seriously still having this conversation? are there people who still want standards?

****** quality models cluttering up the game, it's just cannon fodder low quality garbage. Quality over quantity is what I want, even many of the original GT5 premiums are dated at this point, having models from a game that released in 2004 is just ridiculous.

The whole car selection in GT5/6 has suffered heavily from a large problem of quantity being more important than quality, where you have to sift through the turds.

Well that would be great in an ideal world of course but if they only have time to include one relatively modern fictional F1 car, the FGT is pretty outdated for that purpose, and would be better replaced by a more modern version. In fact if PD were thinking ahead they could design the new FGT after the proposed 2017 F1 rules. I doubt anyone would miss the old FGT if it were replaced in that way.

Last edited:
I find it slightly odd that the "just make them all premium" response still comes up from time to time in these threads.

It's not an option, and I'll explain why.

Polyphony have been pretty clear that it takes them 6 man-months to model a car. That's roughly the same as what it takes other devs, from what I know. With 796 standard cars, that's 398 man-years to model. To do all those inside a three year development cycle they would have to hire another 132 modellers, basically doubling the size of the studio.

Now, we know that Polyphony likes it's artisanal approach and so probably hires people with skills way above baseline, and probably pays them equivalently highly. But lets assume that they get a bunch of schmoes for this and pay them $40,000 a year to bang out standards to premiums. It's then going to cost them $16,000,000 to make all the standards premium. Plus all the extra costs of having another 132 employees, and equipment and office space for them, and so on. Probably you're looking at more like $20,000,000 or more all up.

It starts to become obvious why they haven't done it, and why they almost certainly never will. That's a sizable proportion of the total budget of the game, and that's on top of all the other costs that need to be met as well.

The best we'll ever get is a selection of standards made into premiums. There's just too many standards and it's too expensive to make premiums for it to work any other way.

Voted other.
Any car not worthy of being premium is probably a car not worth having in game...
If it is a car worth having (like all those RUFs), then maybe PD should consider removing some of the premium cars that don't belong in a dedicated racing sim/game.

Just IMHO sort of thing so if you disagree please stay cool. :sly:

Relevant cars in automotive history, motorsports, and the game itself (like SlipZtrEm mentioned) would be the first to be worked on. The more personal preferences could be covered by monthly DLC's, maybe 10 + 2free, and maybe by a voting system, including those unusual ones

Referring back to my post, on top of those 'relevant' cars and updated lineup, there are still other old GT cars that would make a LOT of us really happy if they decided to bring back as premiums.

I don't want to change the subject but there were so many great cars... Like these 2...

KDR30-Nissan-Skyline-Super-Silhouette.jpg

1997-lotus-elise-gt1-2.jpg

It's from the wonderful Stunt Car Racer on the Amiga.

I was going to say Stunt Car Racer when I saw that car. I loved that game when I was a kid. It was the first racing game I ever played with working suspension physics. 👍

Referring back to my post, on top of those 'relevant' cars and updated lineup, there are still other old GT cars that would make a LOT of us really happy if they decided to bring back as premiums.

I don't want to change the subject but there were so many great cars... Like these 2...

KDR30-Nissan-Skyline-Super-Silhouette.jpg

1997-lotus-elise-gt1-2.jpg

They (PD) include pedestrian cars.
You can't expect every racecar to be included.

They (PD) include pedestrian cars.
You can't expect every racecar to be included.

Never said i expect that... you missed my point.

Those 2 were in GT2 and it would be nice to have some of them back among an updated premium lineup. It's a great way to tie up the old (within the GT series) with the new :D

If it is a car worth having (like all those RUFs), then maybe PD should consider removing some of the premium cars that don't belong in a dedicated racing sim/game.

Just IMHO sort of thing so if you disagree please stay cool. :sly:

If it has an engine you can race it. That's my humble opinion :)

Back