For those that object to GTS or GT7 having Std Cars, what is your reason?

• Thread starter syntex123
  • 758 comments

For those that object to GTS or GT7 having Std Cars, what is your reason?

• I am offended that PD is going to sell a game that includes assets they created 10 years ago

Votes: 205 49.5%
  • PD needs to focus their resources on other areas of GT7 that have been lacking in prior releases

Votes: 111 26.8%
  • STD. Cars will lower the overall content quality of other parts of GT7.

Votes: 200 48.3%
  • I like to race using in-cockpit view mode, a black silhouette dilutes the immersive experience.

Votes: 138 33.3%
  • They will take up space in my garage for the cars I personally want.

Votes: 14 3.4%
  • I don't have a good reason, I just don't want them.

Votes: 19 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 39 9.4%

• Total voters
Not really. A standard is a standard. The original definition of a standard car was born with GT5, it's a car straight out of GT3/4 looking pretty horrid. It's an official PD born term. Cars described by fans as semi-premium, like the RUFs, do not fit that bill. They've been heavily re-worked and look miles better, as we know. It would be incredibly misleading to say they're still the same thing.

No-one's saying they are the same thing. Some standards are good, some bad, some ugly.

If we're going to discuss whether the "semi-premiums" are standards or not, let's further discuss that in GT6, the whole standard vs. premium was dropped. So, in GT6, there are no standards, according to PD. :sly:

Its reasonable, we want premiums, but tell me, its reasonable wait a pair of years MORE? NO, maybe the 60% in disc format and the another 40% in updates..

If you can wait, buy a comfortable chair, you know for what

Well since GTS beta is supposed to be early 2016, full release maybe late 2016 then at least one year of active support I doubt GT7 would show up before 2018. That gives them lots of time to produce premium cars.

Gt Prologue was my first experience with the franchise, it hooked me. I have enjoyed playing 5 & 6 even though I spend FAR more time in Forza. Each one of these franchises leaves me wanting more from them, Forza, more tracks and dynamic weather and time of day (love it in Project Cars but the car selection is limited and the game won't let you do anything but tune them) GT series, the old STANDARD CARS thing. If a game is going for realism, driving a car that has a cutout for an interior is ridiculous, and as I stated before, I like using photomode. There are some real photo masters on this forum, leeislee, ShaolinMasta, StrayShadow, Mazda787, RiceGuy and many others. The game is made more enjoyable through this element. Many want the standards to stay because some just like a lot of content, for others, your favorite car is a standard, I understand this. On the other hand, when Porsche didn't make it back into F5 and my FXX was left out, I was was a bit let down but I just go back every now and then and race the games that have them in it. I hope PD decides to put their best in the new game and keep working on it. Even though the choices are expanding, I think the GT series will continue to have a special place in my gaming life.

Well since GTS beta is supposed to be early 2016, full release maybe late 2016 then at least one year of active support I doubt GT7 would show up before 2018. That gives them lots of time to produce premium cars.
You raise a good point here. When it comes to GTSport/GT7, there are two possibilities I see. One is the one you mentioned, that GTS is a fairly full game and meant to tide us over for quite some time until the release of the full GT7 which could easily mean Christmas 2017 for GT7 or even later.

The other possibility is that GTSport is a fairly skimpy game perhaps with only FIA tracks and a limited number of cars and only designed to keep the fanbase interested for a few months at best.

In this case I can't see us having our cake and eating it too. If they release GT Sport as a full on version of GT focused on the FIA but with a full career mode and massive car list, then there's no point in releasing a full GT7 any time soon.

Some of the enhanced Standards (semi-premiums) in GT6 looked quite decent. With slight enhancements maybe subdividing the polygons, I don't mind seeing a most of them.

And I hope these are the Standards Kaz talks about porting to GT7/GTS

20571383935_25c48cf146_c.jpg

20571384025_89fd3eb539_c.jpg

20562449602_4e869fb7ce_c.jpg

19950499643_c548409900_c.jpg

a74TwinRingMotegiRoa.jpg

nocC8i8.jpg

t8pA5T8.jpg

mid-field-raceway_3-jpg.321808

willow-springs-international-raceway-big-willow_4-jpg.292451

ZKNsR9y.jpg

tMaq7fd.jpg

_v061-jpg.87986

Images courtesy goes to people supporting the GT6 Standards thread.

Funny enough, except for the MR-s, all of those cars are in "the other" game. Fully customizable, fully modeled cockpits and in all their New-Gen glory :lol:

The "premiumization" process already started with GT6: the events that required standard cars in GT5 are either gone, or there are now premium cars available for those events. I don't think there is any event in GT6 that can't be completed with a premium car.

It could also explain why shuffle racing didn't make it, since it relied on the standard car library.

Although this is true, it makes me cringe just thinking how long it has taken for PD to make Premium versions of just barely a handful of cars (from GT5 to GT6) and half-bake some of the standards into "semi-premium" form (during the course of GT6). It's taken them years. That shows almost zero commitment as if they were either short of personnel or simply too busy with other things. It just ends up destroying all hope.

One random example: How many people wanted a Premium Supra Mk 4? Is PD still working on it or they simply don't give a flying flip? And it's not specifically about the car, but the whole situation.

Last edited:
hmmm ok, this is a error or what.. GTS was annunced from 27th of October 2015, and here say "As of March 2015" ? or 2016? some sites show that in white.. no info.

oUoSq0V.png

We have here the release date? March 2016? let me know :dunce:

<p class="notice">*as of March 2015</p>

Last edited:
If they improved the exterior detail, i think people wouldn't mind them. I personally love them as they are, as they give a nostalgic feel when using them.

hmmm ok, this is a error or what.. GTS was annunced from 27th of October 2015, and here say "As of March 2015" ? or 2016? some sites show that in white.. no info.

oUoSq0V.png

Elsewhere on the page you'll find a similar little asterisk beside the sales figures. It's sales figures as at March 2015.

Although this is true, it makes me cringe just thinking how long it has taken for PD to make Premium versions of just barely a handful of cars (from GT5 to GT6) and half-bake some of the standards into "semi-premium" form (during the course of GT6). It's taken them years. That shows almost zero commitment as if they were either short of personnel or simply too busy with other things. It just ends up destroying all hope.

One random example: How many people wanted a Premium Supra Mk 4? Is PD still working on it or they simply don't give a flying flip? And it's not specifically about the car, but the whole situation.

When did they say that they would be making a premium Mk 4 Supra?

Of course the car modelling team is busy. Zero committment would be no remakes at all and only new cars added to the game. I'm counting 15 standards remade to premiums in GT6, 16 if you include the Jaguar XJR-9 which was originally included as a standard in GT5, but was remade as a premium and released as DLC for GT5.

1. Bugatti Veyron
  2. Lancer RS T.M.
  3. Lancer GSR T.M.
  4. Corvette C2
  5. Shelby GT350 (the standard car is a 350R)
  6. Toyota 2000 GT
  7. Audi R8 LMS (standard is '09, premium is '10)
  8. Bentley Speed 8
  9. Ford GT '05
  10. Lamborghini Countach '74
  11. Lamborghini Countach '88
  12. Lancia Stratos
  13. Lotus Europa Special (standard is '71, premium is '72)
  14. Sauber Mercedes C9
  15. Alpine A110 (standard is '73, premium is '72)
How does that compare to the rest of the cars added for GT6?

Well, excluding the cars above there were 120 new cars in GT6. 53 of those models (graphical appearance only) were minor edits of already existing models (textures, different headlights, minor bodywork changes, etc). Excluding those minor edit models - simply because they would have been much faster to produce than to make a new model from scratch - there were 67 new models at the time of release. Three of the remade standards are minor edits as well: The two Lancers and the Ford GT, so excluding those we get 67 new premium models and 12 remade standards. That gives a ratio of roughly 1:5, for every remade standard model there are five new premium models. Is that ratio too low? You might argue that it is, and that you'd rather have less new models and more remade old models, but I wouldn't call it zero committment.

oUoSq0V.png

This has already been brought up by @Nico_Ble99 in another thread, it wasn't anything special sadly.

In my honest opinion, they just need to press the 'delete' button on all standard cars. If they added JUST premium cars then there will still be a 500+ car count and a wide selection of cars available. More than enough to 'compete' with other titles in terms of content.

There are a lot of standard cars in GT6 that I like, but I'd happily go without them for consistent content, whether it's good or not. We're in an age that requires good, consistent graphics throughout a title.
Nobody complained when it went from GT2 to GT3 and the car count was slashed for quality. So why is it an issue now? It's pathetic that hardcore 'standard' fans want to bring down the quality of a game just because they like a specific MR-S with wheel arches sharp enough to mame the mechanics... Standards should have stayed on GT4, where they belong.

I hope, truly, that GT Sport is Premium Car only, with selected 'higher quality' tracks, even if the content count is quite low. Otherwise it will deminish a lot of their claims to push the console to its limits, as well as the quality of the game.

Just my opinion.

I had a stupid idea today - the kind of stupid that sorta makes me want to see it happen.........

The biggest problem with the standard cars in my opinion is the fact that while most of them don't look very good, most of them don't look awful either. They exist in this grey area where they;re jarring alongside premium cars, but not so much that you could just accept PD are clearly taking the p**s.

It's like the "uncanny valley" phenomenon in CGI/animation, where in trying to make a character look human, you reach a point where making them more human-like actually makes them look worse - as shown by these toasters.

uncannytoaster.jpg

Standard cars exist in the uncanny valley, if you will. And it probably isn't possible to get them all up to the "definitely looks human" end (Premium cars). So the solution is obvious: you put them all at the "cute toaster" end.

That's right - you make them look worse! Which can be easily done by bringing back the worst looking cars in the GT series - the GT1/GT2 cars.

Be honest, if you started up GT Sport - with its brand-spanking new game engine - and on the grid beside you were these little critters:

GranTurismo2.jpg

You would either a) love them as the cute toasters they are, b) admire them nostalgically or c) laugh your head off. Everyone wins.

Plus, it would help PD look trendy - it'd be like a racing game version of the "retro" pixel art you see in every bloody indie game. And since they would be quicker to model, PD would be able to up the car count to roughly 10 million Skylines. Again, everyone wins.

I trust that you're all totally convinced...... :P :P :P :D :D :D

I had a stupid idea today - the kind of stupid that sorta makes me want to see it happen.........

The biggest problem with the standard cars in my opinion is the fact that while most of them don't look very good, most of them don't look awful either. They exist in this grey area where they;re jarring alongside premium cars, but not so much that you could just accept PD are clearly taking the p**s.

It's like the "uncanny valley" phenomenon in CGI/animation, where in trying to make a character look human, you reach a point where making them more human-like actually makes them look worse - as shown by these toasters.

uncannytoaster.jpg

Standard cars exist in the uncanny valley, if you will. And it probably isn't possible to get them all up to the "definitely looks human" end (Premium cars). So the solution is obvious: you put them all at the "cute toaster" end.

That's right - you make them look worse! Which can be easily done by bringing back the worst looking cars in the GT series - the GT1/GT2 cars.

Be honest, if you started up GT Sport - with its brand-spanking new game engine - and on the grid beside you were these little critters:

GranTurismo2.jpg

You would either a) love them as the cute toasters they are, b) admire them nostalgically or c) laugh your head off. Everyone wins.

Plus, it would help PD look trendy - it'd be like a racing game version of the "retro" pixel art you see in every bloody indie game. And since they would be quicker to model, PD would be able to up the car count to roughly 10 million Skylines. Again, everyone wins.

I trust that you're all totally convinced...... :P :P :P :D :D :D

...Absolutely bril. Can't believe I didn't think of this before. Make them worse, to make them better!!

....Yeah, how 'bout no? :P

I don't understand PD, the casual players (me) only want a Gran Turismo 3 experience. Where everything seems polished. And it starts by NO standard cars. In fact, I'm not sure to buy the next GT if standard cars come back.
Same. I might just go move on to the Forza series if GTSport turns out to be a unpolished game.

In my honest opinion, they just need to press the 'delete' button on all standard cars. If they added JUST premium cars then there will still be a 500+ car count and a wide selection of cars available. More than enough to 'compete' with other titles in terms of content.
While I agree with the idea of scrapping standards, PD has been able to boast that they've the largest car selection (even without the needless duplicates it may still be the largest), and I don't think they're gonna let that go any time soon.

Eks
While I agree with the idea of scrapping standards, PD has been able to boast that they've the largest car selection (even without the needless duplicates it may still be the largest), and I don't think they're gonna let that go any time soon.

After two games of "1000+" and "1200+" and what that actually meant I would hope most consumers are now wise to their less than honest marketing car numbers.

Eks

If they can't still claim a record of sorts, then they've got a lousy marketing team. Even without Standards, they've still got 400+ Premiums in GT6, so just a few ideas:

• If the GT6 total (438) didn't change (somehow): "Largest car roster on the PS4"
  • >464: "Largest car roster to ship with a game this generation"
  • >507 (FM6's current count, not including Team Forza vehicles, with at least two monthly packs plus the Porsche pack to go): "The largest car roster this generation"
Sure, it doesn't have the impact of a four-digit count, but as @Samus hints, a lot of people are likely to have figured out how that number was arrived at by now.

Just look here. What's so ugly about having semi premiums in the game? These three doesn't look too bad.

23995134699_14dfc53b61_o.jpg

23736106873_f3802fe89e_o.jpg

Yes, I touched them up by gently brushing over three or so areas. But still. They do look good, don't they? (Yes the Levin is far behind on both pics but it doesn't look bad)

Because as has been said countless, countless times, not all standard cars are equal in looks AND it's not just about how they look on the outside. Standards lack in a cockpit entirely and also have many other restrictions when it comes to modifications. Oh, and touching them up post-game is totally cheating.

Last edited:
Just look here. What's so ugly about having semi premiums in the game? These three doesn't look too bad.

23995134699_14dfc53b61_o.jpg

23736106873_f3802fe89e_o.jpg

Yes, I touched them up by gently brushing over three or so areas. But still. They do look good, don't they? (Yes the Levin is far behind on both pics but it doesn't look bad)

No matter how much the standards are touched up, they're still old, outdated assets that should have no place in any modern video game.

• If the GT6 total (438) didn't change (somehow): "Largest car roster on the PS4"
  • >464: "Largest car roster to ship with a game this generation"
  • >507 (FM6's current count, not including Team Forza vehicles, with at least two monthly packs plus the Porsche pack to go): "The largest car roster this generation"

All of which would work well in PD's favor.

As the man himself said:
Kaz
"Each car has its own fans. So I think we'll hang on to the archive. In the meanwhile, some of those cars we may be able to make into Premium cars as they become available - but basically we're more focused on increasing the number of premium cars."
My bet is that we'll see 200 new premiums (at most) with the arrival of GT7, as that's about how many were introduced with GT6. In the event that PD goes through with leaving standards behind, that leaves them with 600+ cars. Their marketing team could then hop on that "largest car count" train once again.

@syntex123 If all standards looked like that, then I personally would not mind them appearing in GT7, but they don't.

A lot of standard models don't actually look that bad, it's their textures that are the issue. Examples would be the CLK-LM and Ford GT LM Race Cars.

Back