Formula 1 Qatar Airways Gran Premio del Made in Italy E Dell'Emilia-Romagna 2023 (Called Off)Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 45 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Yes, that's is its actual name. The non-national race with two countries in its name is basically just the Imola Grand Prix as the legendary circuit gets its fourth race since the COVID-induced return of the track to the F1 calendar. The first trip into Europe of the year is a point when many teams will want to introduce upgrades to sort out their early season struggles - Mercedes in particular are the team expected to bring the biggest update. This is the start of a European Triple-Header with Monaco and Spain to follow, although we didn't ask for a triple header in the race title. Will anything stop another Red Bull victory? We'll find out at the EMILIA-ROMAGNA GRAND PRIX!
image (23).png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
4.909km

Race Distance
309.049 km

Lap Record
1:15.484
Lewis Hamilton (2020)​

There’s supposed to be some terrible weather wreaking havoc on the region, to the point there’s rumors the race won’t be able to run.

If they do run, there is rain forecast for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, which means it will start raining after the race has finished.

Fingers crossed it doesn’t get out of control, there are a lot of people living on the other side of that river.

I live 8-9 hours from Imola and we're expecting crap weather and thunderstorms all week and weekend too. Seems to be a blanket cover of central Europe.

Well that's a bummer....I was looking forward to those new Qualy tire allocations and those Mercedes upgrades.

Who's ready for Belgium 2021 Requiem?

The flooding in the paddock is quite high, as is all the towns around the circuit. Teams had to leave hotels due to floodwater too and they aren't allowed into the circuit yet.

A decision on the race will be made today and an update/announcement made at 2pm local time today.

I would say it's pretty obvious it won't happen.

But then I remember they had a practise session in the middle of a missile strike.

I would say it's pretty obvious it won't happen.

But then I remember they had a practise session in the middle of a missile strike.
Admittedly the strike happened after the session had started so they couldn't be blamed for running that. The rest of the race weekend was the awkward part there.

More photos are being dripfed from the circuit and surrounding regions. The F1 TV compound is under quite a bit of water in this photo. The deputy PM of Italy has stated that he doesn't think the race should go ahead this weekend as Emergency services will need to be utilised elsewhere, and large spectator numbers trying to get down flooded highways isn't a great plan currently.
20230517_113607.jpg

That highlights the problem, it isn't so much whether or not the circuit will be ready to run, there is a good chance it will be weather permitting. But the surrounding areas and access to the area has taken a huge hit and if services have to come and get people who got stuck or get into trouble accessing the circuit then it does stress the emergency services unnecessarily when there's likely a lot more need elsewhere.

F1 won't want to postpone, but I wouldn't be surprised if the race (should it be able to run), goes ahead behind closed doors (i.e no fans) with a shortened itinerary. I suspect that is the compromise that will be made.

The announcement specifically doesn't say "cancelled" just that it will not proceed this weekend. I expect in the coming days they will be working on rescheduling the race to later in the season - hence why I have renamed the thread with a postponement.

Will not proceed is just a nicer way of saying cancelled. I really can't see this race getting slotted in later in the year, the schedule is already busy enough.

Last edited:
I was fully expecting another Spa type of scenario where we all get gaslit by the powers that be by telling us what we saw was a race. Glad they pulled their heads out their asses.

There’s an Oscar Piastri in one of the Fanatec GT3 challenge practice lobbies in iRacing. I guess they have to keep sharp somehow? Lol

Well at least the Indy 500 qualifying is on. The Nascar all star race is also this weekend, if you can take the cringe.

Will not proceed is just a nicer way of saying cancelled. I really can't see this race getting slotted in later in the year, the schedule is already busy enough.
The only time that could possibly make sense is the free weekend between GB and Hungary. Every other spare weekend is in between races on different continents.

Back